Menu

Early Learning... What say you?

The mean-ness that the tone of this discussion is taking is a bit much for me, being a peace seeker and all... By the way - I have only ever showed her those words once or twice in her life. Just randomly from a stack of cards. Maybe she is just sort of a freak-genius. And I must be pretty intuitive to know she would grasp it all so simply. My apologies for all the negative attention this topic is receiving.

Why don't you simply address some of the very valid points that other posters have made? Wouldn't that be more useful than playing martyr?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The mean-ness that the tone of this discussion is taking is a bit much for me, being a peace seeker and all... By the way - I have only ever showed her those words once or twice in her life. Just randomly from a stack of cards. Maybe she is just sort of a freak-genius. And I must be pretty intuitive to know she would grasp it all so simply. My apologies for all the negative attention this topic is receiving.

Well, there you go. Your baby is a freak genius and you earn the trophy for uber-intuitive parent of the year. Yay for you! :glare:

You certainly do not seem like a legit poster. Serioulsy. If your story is true then how can you possibly believe that your daughter is average (or whatever term you used in your OP); I mean, working with children this age is what you do for a living. Surely it's dawned on you that your daugther is not average!

Any minute now I half expect that you'll begin telling us all about your husband (the doctor), your dozen kids who were all born on US holidays, and your plans to purchase a fabulous 10,000 SF lake-front home in eastern Michigan with a bazillion acres for your free-ranging toddlers to roam about... :rolleyes:

You are conflating "early learning" with "early reading." They are not remotely the same thing.

Also, you ARE saying that kids are not reading early because their parents are not educated about early childhood learning and/or failed to follow through on what they do know. But that simply is not true.

As for giving specifics, please do. The idea of telling new parents about early childhood learning is lovely, but WHAT SPECIFICS would you tell them? Surely more than "teach your child to read."

THIS. Early learning is SO much more than letters, number, shapes, and colors. Children NEED to play, alone, with other children, and with adults. It's how they learn how to interact with others, why communication matters, and so much more. It's how they learn to manage frustration, deal with challenges, and get help. These skills are just as important in school (whether at home or away.) when children lack these skills, I wonder about their parents. Toddlers who aren't reading? Not so much.

I would be interested in knowing how your child learned to read. My oldest learned to read at 39 months and it was fascinating to watch. For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain your daughter is gifted. An educational assessor told me children who are taught to read at 4 are gifted; children who teach themselves to read are "scary gifted".

Well, there you go. Your baby is a freak genius and you earn the trophy for uber-intuitive parent of the year. Yay for you! :glare:

You certainly do not seem like a legit poster. Serioulsy. If your story is true then how can you possibly believe that your daughter is average (or whatever term you used in your OP); I mean, working with children this age is what you do for a living. Surely it's dawned on you that your daugther is not average!

Any minute now I half expect that you'll begin telling us all about your husband (the doctor), your dozen kids who were all born on US holidays, and your plans to purchase a fabulous 10,000 SF lake-front home in eastern Michigan with a bazillion acres for your free-ranging toddlers to roam about... :rolleyes:

I wish that was my closer... But unfortunately we're just two renting, entrepreneurs struggling to get by, with an amazing kid who's full potential we took advantage of early on. No.. Not average now- but one day soon. I don't have all the answers, and didn't realize I should if I had the audacity to post on the topic. My bad, yo! :chillpill:

I get this... This is definitely not something that's going to take place overnight. It will be a slow process, but as more parents become educated regarding early childhood learning (not just reading) the hope is that the scales will tip in the other direction and we can then begin implementing some change.

You are operating on the assumption that most parents would agree with you that the type of early childhood learning you advocate (flashcards? reading?). I think it's safe to say that many parents see little to no value in pushing toddlers to develop the skill set of an elementary student; in fact, it's absolutely developmentally inappropriate to push such things on infants/toddlers.

You suggest forcing parents to watch videos on early childhood learning (again, not sure exactly what you mean when you use that term) before they are allowed to take baby home from the hospital? Mmmm...no thank you.

:tongue_smilie: Don't think I don't appreciate it.

It really is unfair of me to participate in such threads, as I have a GS child, who is also a middle child; and that's not easy to manage. His first words to me at birth were, "Good to be out of there. I was so done with Bach & baroque, It was also better without the headphones blaring through your uterus. Not to hurt your feelings, but I'm with Dad and the Beatles. Although I *was* grateful for the Mozart. By the way, this colostrum would be better if it was chocolate."

Aw...you poor thing. Have a biscuit.

I wish that was my closer... But unfortunately we're just two renting, entrepreneurs struggling to get by, with an amazing kid who's full potential we took advantage of early on. No.. Not average now- but one day soon. I don't have all the answers, and didn't realize I should if I had the audacity to post on the topic. My bad, yo! :chillpill:

If you haven't already, you might familiarize yourself with the symptoms of hyperlexia. I certainly hope that is not an issue here.

If you haven't already, you might familiarize yourself with the symptoms of hyperlexia. I certainly hope that is not an issue here.

Me too... Obviously ;) but her speech is so well developed and her communication with other as well, so I wouldn't put her in that category quite yet. But thanks for your concern :lurk5:

I think the problem is that everyone around here is just very good at recognizing the odor of troll. We've all had a lot of practice. It helps if your "facts" make a bit more logical sense. You might want to work on that for next time.

I'm completely baffled by these threads. I realize I'm still very new here but I have no clue how someone who claims to have the intuition and insight to teach their child to read at 16 months (or more accurately in this case, memorize) doesn't have the intuition or insight to realize that a question like that is going nowhere. When you end your post with "Doesn't everyone see..." you definitely aren't looking for opinions, you're looking for consensus. Aside from the excuse to flaunt the accomplishments of her child, I don't see the purpose of this post. I realize the OP intended to share her opinion on how to revolutionalize public schools, but it's not even worth discussing, when major factors (such as politics) aren't mentioned. The problem in public schools today reaches far beyond better teachers and higher standards. It just isn't that easy. I guess I'm playing into it by posting, but I just can't seem to understand how a person can post something like this and then pretend like they had no idea it would cause any controversy. There are just so many more rewarding things to do in life than cause conflict on a forum....

Okay, I'm sorry...I just cannot read this one more time in your posts without sending up a silent prayer that your baby's flashcard is spelled correctly, with the appropriate first two letters. It must be on the second grade list that your baby has memorized, no?

astrid

I have been reading this thread (which I suspect will get locked or deleted by nightfall) and just sort of giggling to myself......until now!:smilielol5:Very good point, Astrid!

I get this... This is definitely not something that's going to take place overnight. It will be a slow process, but as more parents become educated regarding early childhood learning (not just reading) the hope is that the scales will tip in the other direction and we can then begin implementing some change.

I would estimate that nearly everyone knows they should read to their kids and let them play outside. And everyone who doesn't do those things has what they think is a good reason for it. If you want to be an early learning activist, my opinion is the best place for you to start is to fundraise to put fences around playgrounds. Even sleep deprived mammas with no support from friends and family can drag their little family to a playground if there is a securely fenced one a few blocks away. The kids might even learn something if the place hasn't been covered in that rubber stuff to prevent grass stains...

Rosie

I'm completely baffled by these threads. I realize I'm still very new here but I have no clue how someone who claims to have the intuition and insight to teach their child to read at 16 months (or more accurately in this case, memorize) doesn't have the intuition or insight to realize that a question like that is going nowhere. When you end your post with "Doesn't everyone see..." you definitely aren't looking for opinions, you're looking for consensus. Aside from the excuse to flaunt the accomplishments of her child, I don't see the purpose of this post. I realize the OP intended to share her opinion on how to revolutionalize public schools, but it's not even worth discussing, when major factors (such as politics) aren't mentioned. The problem in public schools today reaches far beyond better teachers and higher standards. It just isn't that easy. I guess I'm playing into it by posting, but I just can't seem to understand how a person can post something like this and then pretend like they had no idea it would cause any controversy. There are just so many more rewarding things to do in life than cause conflict on a forum....

Cause conflict? Me?:D I believe I was the one who compared this topic to bringing up a religious debate. I know there are other factors to play into it. I joined the forum cause I have already made the decision to home school, not to cause conflict. I guess if you don't have all the answers on the subject, nothing is worth discussing, right?

i did not even attempt to teach my babies to read. i did not want them to read, and it wasn't lack of parenting on my part, but rather it reflects my own educational philosophy. i realize some kids struggle to read early, but some of us just don't attempt to teach early academics. if your baby is reading, great (i guess). but i agree with a previous poster that it is more like a parlor trick than a huge gain to your child's education. at age 8 or 9, i doubt it will matter much. both of my kids are amazing readers, that's the goal in mind, right? it's not how early they read that really gets them there.

I think the problem is that everyone around here is just very good at recognizing the odor of troll. We've all had a lot of practice. It helps if your "facts" make a bit more logical sense. You might want to work on that for next time.

OK... So let's change the subject.... What the blank is a TrOLL?:bigear:

Cause conflict? Me?:D I believe I was the one who compared this topic to bringing up a religious debate. I know there are other factors to play into it. I joined the forum cause I have already made the decision to home school, not to cause conflict. I guess if you don't have all the answers on the subject, nothing is worth discussing, right?

Jujubeesmama, look me straight in the eye and tell me. WHAT is it that you did with your 16mo daughter that, if done with other "normal" kids, would make them all very early readers? Your OP and follow-up post came across very confident that you have specific knowledge and experience to this point. What is it? If you cannot give a straight answer, then how can you expect to be taken seriously here?

Is this your first day on the internets?

eta: Your infant can read, but you don't know how to google?

Oh no, she seems to be very proficient in forum use. Smileys and quotes and all that. But I guess it could still be her first day, what with the way genius runs in her family.

Jujubeesmama, look me straight in the eye and tell me. WHAT is it that you did with your 16mo daughter that, if done with other "normal" kids, would make them all very early readers? Your OP and follow-up post came across very confident that you have specific knowledge and experience to this point. What is it? If you cannot give a straight answer, then how can you expect to be taken seriously here?

Myself specifically.... OK. When Julie was first born I would do 30 minute interval talk sessions up to 3 times a day. It was easy for me cause I breast fed, but these sessions just consist of listing words and short phrases clearly in a conversational tone.... I.e. Mom, dad, nana, love, home, Joe, eat.... And just make a list of words you know a child will be bound to hear. This is how I would put her to sleep sometimes. I also noticed she loved to watch my hands so I would do the alphabet sign language song as she would stare. Sometimes instead of saying the letter I would say the sound alon with the signed symbol. We did use videos (won't mention the name for fear of being accused of promoting a product) when she turned 6 months. Kind of like video flash cards which we would show 2xs per day at no more than 15 min. Intervals with NO other television watching. Since birth I have read chapter books following the words with my fingers as we read. When she was But 8 months she became very verbal, and we were still, at this point, only doing the series of videos and the daycare teacher did the flashcards with all the kids daily. She was able to say and recognize over 200 words by the time she was 12 months. Now she can read most of the short books we have if I point at the words as we go. I would say that reading and finger following has probably had the bigger impact than anything else. It was just a week or two before this forum post that I realized she might be reading phonetically cause she was able to read words that weren't in any of the videos or flashcards we had done so far. Now her thing is the IpAd. She can unlock it, open the "kids app" folder and use all of the apps we put therefor her, including the puzzle games.

Myself specifically.... OK. When Julie was first born I would do 30 minute interval talk sessions up to 3 times a day. It was easy for me cause I breast fed, but these sessions just consist of listing words and short phrases clearly in a conversational tone.... I.e. Mom, dad, nana, love, home, Joe, eat.... And just make a list of words you know a child will be bound to hear. This is how I would put her to sleep sometimes. I also noticed she loved to watch my hands so I would do the alphabet sign language song as she would stare. Sometimes instead of saying the letter I would say the sound alon with the signed symbol. We did use videos (won't mention the name for fear of being accused of promoting a product) when she turned 6 months. Kind of like video flash cards which we would show 2xs per day at no more than 15 min. Intervals with NO other television watching. Since birth I have read chapter books following the words with my fingers as we read. When she was But 8 months she became very verbal, and we were still, at this point, only doing the series of videos and the daycare teacher did the flashcards with all the kids daily. She was able to say and recognize over 200 words by the time she was 12 months. Now she can read most of the short books we have if I point at the words as we go. I would say that reading and finger following has probably had the bigger impact than anything else. It was just a week or two before this forum post that I realized she might be reading phonetically cause she was able to read words that weren't in any of the videos or flashcards we had done so far. Now her thing is the IpAd. She can unlock it, open the "kids app" folder and use all of the apps we put therefor her, including the puzzle games.

You have a center and now you mention videos, flashcards and iPad apps. Oh, no, I'm sure you don't mean to attempt to advertise *at all*. How dare people?!

Ok, let's say you are legit. I'll believe that you are earnestly hoping for a discussion on early learning and/or early reading in children. Here are my thoughts.

I'm an educated person with two degrees, and one of them is in teaching. Naturally, when I had my child, I wanted the best early start for her. I didn't think that meant early reading, but it certainly meant early learning. I wanted to provide a great foundation for her to build upon.

We went on tons of walks; I read her quality books daily; I spoke to her constantly about the things around us; I took her on outings to interesting places such as parades, festivals, farmers markets, forests, etc.; I provided high quality open-ended toys; I sung endless songs; I taught her signs and finger plays; I let her play with little friends; I let her explore; I read her a first chapter book at age 4; I taught her to blend and sound out CVC words on the side of a bathtub with a bath crayon at age 3; I let her indulge her joy in a simple preschool workbook at age 2; and on and on.

Oh, and let me add--I am also a teacher/tutor who spends a lot of time helping kids learn to read.

So, was my daughter an early reader? Her ability to sound out CVC words at age 4 did not burst forward in leaps and bounds. Of course, I was helping and supporting her all the way, but by age 6 she was only reading early readers. By age 7, she was sharing easy chapter books with me. By age 8 she was handling the chapter books on her own. At age 9, she was finally on to Harry Potter, and declared herself a reader: "I LOVE reading!"

It was a long road! I'd say she was around average, but it may seem late when you compare her to 6 year olds with their noses in novels. She's a bright girl and has always been very verbal and expresses herself intelligently, and I noticed no learning disability on her part. It was simply a long road. I guess it also depends on what you call "reading". She was "reading" individual words at age 4. She was reading little books at age 5/6. She was fully excited by reading and able to read pretty much anything at 9/10. Which of these is "reading"?

So, I did everything "right" and still didn't get my early reader. What would you have done differently?

P.S. I still feel I gave her all the ingredients of a quality childhood, including a firm foundation in thinking. I don't actually care if she read early or not.

Edited by GingerPoppy

You have a center and now you mention videos, flashcards and iPad apps. Oh, no, I'm sure you don't mean to attempt to advertise *at all*. How dare people?!

I don't know what to say to convince everyone I'm not trying to sell anything! :confused: OK here, the IPAD sucks! You can't watch most content on it, and the battery dies too fast! Happy? I Do have a center, and yes, I use bids and flashcards... Problem?

OK. IF all that is true, it still would not work with most kids. You could probably have skipped the lists of spoken words, and just talked about day-to-day things or sung instead. As for the visual memory, that is rare. Not impossible, but rare. It also requires a kid actually looking at the words you are reading - which as far as I know cannot be forced.

I have a dd who has always been unusually fascinated by print and other visual images. Some kids are. Most are not.

I am amazed both at your commitment and your daughter's ability. She is, IMHO, gifted. Most children raised in that environment would not have those outcomes. Not that they wouldn't benefit - just not to that degree.

Exactly. Yes, they benefit. No, you would not get a nation of early readers.

@ ginger.... Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I think it's all the "coaching" in those first few days of life and continuing that pattern. Coaching meaning the talking sessions, finger reading, and signing sounds. I did some research on brain development that led me to the conclusion that that time would be the best to start "making sparks". I could be totally wrong tho - I'm no scientist, just going off my own experience.

I don't know what to say to convince everyone I'm not trying to sell anything! :confused: OK here, the IPAD sucks! You can't watch most content on it, and the battery dies too fast! Happy? I Do have a center, and yes, I use bids and flashcards... Problem?

I still don't understand why you ended so many posts with "if I don't have all the answers" when clearly you think you do have all the answers. Why did you wait until Post 100+ to answer the questions people have been asking all day?

OK. IF all that is true, it still would not work with most kids. You could probably have skipped the lists of spoken words, and just talked about day-to-day things or sung instead. As for the visual memory, that is rare. Not impossible, but rare. It also requires a kid actually looking at the words you are reading - which as far as I know cannot be forced.

I have a dd who has always been unusually fascinated by print and other visual images. Some kids are. Most are not.

As far as the list, maybe ur right, but I also sang and held conversations too... Don't want people to think that cause I used some methods of early learning that I did nothing else nurturing. ;)

@ ginger.... Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I think it's all the "coaching" in those first few days of life and continuing that pattern. Coaching meaning the talking sessions, finger reading, and signing sounds. I did some research on brain development that led me to the conclusion that that time would be the best to start "making sparks". I could be totally wrong tho - I'm no scientist, just going off my own experience.

I agree that it is very powerful. But did you read my whole post? My point is that I DID all those types of things! (Except flashcards.) But while I think it all was a very good thing, my daughter was NOT an early reader. Why? And why do you think most children (or all children) could be?

I still don't understand why you ended so many posts with "if I don't have all the answers" when clearly you think you do have all the answers. Why did you wait until Post 100+ to answer the questions people have been asking all day?

BEcause dear, <---- (proud?) there are so many different ideas and tactics in early learning. Not saying mine are the only ones to work, but it's something maybe we could look a little closer at?:bigear:

Well, I talked to my babies CONSTANTLY (I talk too much, I know), and we watched those same videos, and I read to them as well. Huh..neither was talking much before 2, and my son didn't read until 6 years old. Almost like it isn't that I didn't try, it is that he wasn't ready. Crazy.

I agree that it is very powerful. But did you read my whole post? My point is that I DID all those types of things! (Except flashcards.) But while I think it all was a very good thing, my daughter was NOT an early reader. Why? And why do you think most children (or all children) could be?

Because I'm a horrible optimist?:001_huh:

Showing finger signs in the first few days would be um, interesting, given the limited ability to focus the eyes at that age.

I did them too. I even used the flash cards! But not only is my 2 year old not reading, she is barely talking! huh.....

BEcause dear, <---- (proud?) there are so many different ideas and tactics in early learning. Not saying mine are the only ones to work, but it's something maybe we could look a little closer at?:bigear:

I think you should have noticed by now that people around here HAVE looked a little closer and DISAGREE with you. It is a mistake to think people who disagree just haven't thought about it properly. What do you think people on a homeschool board like this think about if not learning? The conversation here might progress a bit more interestingly if, like someone else said up thread, you'd talk about early learning as though it meant something other than early reading. No one is going to learn any more about teaching infants to read on here.

My personal philosophy is preschoolers learn most from things that stain their clothes.

Rosie

Just out of curiosity, how are her gross motor skills?

Well she's at a full run finally, can't jump yet. She' loves to chase... Didn't walk till almost 11mos. Likes to climb on Everything(what kid doesn't) so I think she's pretty average. Her fine motor skills are pretty good. She can scribble for days, and likes to paint and write with chalk on driveway. Her fav. Thing to do is insert things like straws in juice boxes and caps on pens.

I think you should have noticed by now that people around here HAVE looked a little closer and DISAGREE with you. It is a mistake to think people who disagree just haven't thought about it properly. What do you think people on a homeschool board like this think about if not learning? The conversation here might progress a bit more interestingly if, like someone else said up thread, you'd talk about early learning as though it meant something other than early reading. No one is going to learn any more about teaching infants to read on here.

My personal philosophy is preschoolers learn most from things that stain their clothes.

Rosie

I couldn't agree more with your personal philosophy. I'm sure you're a great teacher.

It is a mistake to think people who disagree just haven't thought about it properly.

Rosie

:iagree::iagree: It's not only a mistake, it's incredibly arrogant. This conversation really reminds me of those young mothers I've encountered who have a single, easy going baby and suddenly are experts on raising children and give out all kinds of unsolicited advice on how to successfully raise teenagers. ;)

Although, I suppose since my dd self taught reading at age 4 I should pass on all of my knowledge and expertise you all of you lowly people.

Here's how you do it:

1. Have lots of babies.

2. Have no time to teach your 3.5 year old daughter to read, no matter how often she begs you.

3. Leave said daughter alone with a book.

4. Voila! You have yourself an early reader! :lol:

(Hmmm.... wonder why that system didn't work with my other kids? :001_huh:Oh well!

Off to go write up a curriculum based on my knowledge and change the education system as we know it...)

ok, OP, give us some more straight answers.

1. What do you think is going on when people DO do the things you talked about, and their child is not reading, or even talking, at that age? What does that mean?

2. Are they learning disabled if they can't be taught to read before 2?

3. What impact will it have on them later on, to read or not read at such an early age?

ok, OP, give us some more straight answers.

1. What do you think is going on when people DO do the things you talked about, and their child is not reading, or even talking, at that age? What does that mean?

2. Are they learning disabled if they can't be taught to read before 2?

3. What impact will it have on them later on, to read or not read at such an early age?

1. It means they need to use a different approach. I never said that my methods I used with my daughter were the key and only way. Just like all people learn differently so do babies.

2. No, it means they just didn't learn to read by age two. Shoot for 3 ;)

3. If they're placed with children at their own developmental level they will continue to progress. If they are placed below their learning level they will eventually plateau out to meet at the same level of their peers which is a point many of you keep making.

This is NOT all about reading people...

My dd was very similar to yours. She was very aware early on, constantly watching everything. A little before 18m she became obsessed with the alphabet and learned uppercase, lowercase, and sounds within a few weeks. By 2.5 she was reading CVC words. Of course, I gave her the materials that she was interested in...leapfrog videos and Bob books. But, I never set up a program similar to yours...drilling flashcards and word lists during each day. I did put her in a toddler gymnastics class because I was worried that she was not jumping as well as other children.

When I first read your post, I really thought how sad it was that you invested such time and energy into these pursuits. However, I believe that you truly enjoyed yourself, and hopefully your dd enjoyed it too.

I think most people do not find reading super early to be an advantage. If anything it can be quite a disadvantage, as has been pointed out. It would be interesting to know that if you had a do-over with your dd and only read books to her and sang the abc's if she would still have been an early reader. I would venture to say that most people on this board would agree with me in saying that she probably would have been.

And my ds? Just now, at almost age 2.5, he is becoming obsessed with the alphabet and I am guessing that he may be an earlier than average reader as well. However, his first love (sharply in contrast with my dd) was climbing and soon after running. I have casually noticed that most children are wired to work on either their gross motor skills or their language skills. I don't think that any amount of flashcards would have changed my sons desire to run around and climb things to working on language skills.