Menu

Strange advantages of unemployment

If Husband doesn't manage to get a job (he's been unemployed for a year already) and I can't find a better job, the boys should come out of university with no debts. We have a college savings plan for them that will cover the fees (about £9,000 a year for three years) and their living expenses should be covered by government and university bursaries (scholarships for low income students).

Laura

It has been awhile since I was in school, but I got almost a full ride scholarship to one of the Seven Sisters because my Dad had lost his job about 18 months before I was a Freshman. If he had continued to make his middle class, government salary I never would have gotten such a great scholarship. Good to know that sometimes they really are silver linings.

What about an academic scholarship? Isn't that a possibility? It just seems more, I don't know, prestigious or advantageous to access an academic scholarship rather than one based on family finances.

There are very few academic scholarships because there are almost no universities that are not government funded, and the tradition is to support those from poor backgrounds, rather than those who are unusually bright. A few universities have some scholarships, but it's not the enormous opportunity that it is in the US.

Laura

What a bargain!

I remember the protests about that. In the US, there is very little protest and they keep rising!

Oxford, Cambridge and the like. They aren't privately funded institutions and the level of fees is very political, so they can't float free.

Laura

Oxford, Cambridge and the like. They aren't privately funded institutions and the level of fees is very political, so they can't float free.

Laura

Government funded schools such as state universities have continued to raise fees, slow graduation times, increase class size, and so on, with minimal "pushback." Education is apparently not an important political issue here. :glare:

I salute countries where education is affordable.

What about an academic scholarship? Isn't that a possibility? It just seems more, I don't know, prestigious or advantagous to access an academic scholarship rather than one based on family finances.

Who cares about what kind of scholarships? Prestige...well maybe if one is going around bragging about the academic scholarships. I mean, once you are in college, your roommates, your professors, don't care how you are paying. Once you graduate, your employers aren't going to ask about your scholarships.

A scholarship is a scholarship, and in these times, especially unemployment, it's free college. Take it with a smile. Prestige, :tongue_smilie:

Well, that is a great silver lining! Coming out of college w/o debt will be a tremendous blessing!

I have been giving a lot of thought to planning for intentionally adjusting taxable income in the years leading up to the kids' entering college by maximizing retirement savings those years, but so far we can't afford to do that b/c we spend so much on the kids' music, etc. Financing college is such a nightmare for upper-middle income families in the U.S. I will have to put a lot more thought into this in the next year or two.

Best of luck to all of you!

Government funded schools such as state universities have continued to raise fees, slow graduation times, increase class size, and so on, with minimal "pushback." Education is apparently not an important political issue here. :glare:

I salute countries where education is affordable.

In the UK, fee ranges are decided centrally in each of England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland. Because it's one big decision, it is announced and noticed; if it were university-by-university it would probably slip through unnoticed.

Laura

In the UK, fee ranges are decided centrally in each of England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland. Because it's one big decision, it is announced and noticed; if it were university-by-university it would probably slip through unnoticed.

Laura

I have to think not!

What about an academic scholarship? Isn't that a possibility? It just seems more, I don't know, prestigious or advantagous to access an academic scholarship rather than one based on family finances.

Wow. Um, really? :blink: That's a rude thing to say.

Being poor may not be prestigious, but if Calvin gets into Oxford or Cambridge (his aim) that will be enough prestige to go around.

Thanks for watching my back, Mergath. I'm a bit..... raw at the moment and am not a good judge of tone.

Laura

If Husband doesn't manage to get a job (he's been unemployed for a year already) and I can't find a better job, the boys should come out of university with no debts. We have a college savings plan for them that will cover the fees (about £9,000 a year for three years) and their living expenses should be covered by government and university bursaries (scholarships for low income students).

Laura

Didn't happen with our sons. Dh was unemployed for nearly 15 months. I was a SAHM. Dh got a job just as we were applying to schools. They simply saw dh was employed and not the vast hole we had to dig out of. Oldest son still had student loans...and very little drive to finish college. sigh.

I wish you much better luck.

Being poor may not be prestigious, but if Calvin gets into Oxford or Cambridge (his aim) that will be enough prestige to go around.

Absolutely! My gosh, if people turned down income-based financial aid because it's somehow not "prestigious" enough, every single person I know would never have been able to go to college, myself included.

Didn't happen with our sons. Dh was unemployed for nearly 15 months. I was a SAHM. Dh got a job just as we were applying to schools. They simply saw dh was employed and not the vast hole we had to dig out of. Oldest son still had student loans...and very little drive to finish college. sigh.

I wish you much better luck.

Assessment here would be based on the previous year's taxable income (up to the end of March), so the timing matters. It's reassessed annually.

Laura

No kidding! We're all wishing him the best. :)

Having fees reduced due to family circumstances would certainly not be anything detrimental or made public in any way. At any rate, I think it's good that you have one less stress about unemployment.

Please keep us posted!

Hell-to-the-yeah that's prestigious! Oxford or Cambridge? That's Ivy League level here. Good on you mama, for having a bright enough and well-educated enough student to merit that kind of university.

Assessment here would be based on the previous year's taxable income (up to the end of March), so the timing matters. It's reassessed annually.

Laura

We have been lucky up until this year as because of our un/under employment dd had qualified for the max in student allowance, meaning that she only needed to take loans for her tuition, not her living costs. This past year dh had good work for July-Dec & I got days subbing (relief teaching) for ~40% of the school days. We found out because of our "increased" income dd's student allowance has been cut $70/week, making even very. very basic living cost above what she can afford & as neither dh or I have had any work since Dec, we can't really afford to send her $70/week to make ends meet. I have sent in our new income details & hopefully they will raise dd's allowance back up to the max ($200/week). That sounds like heaps for room, board, etc. but it barely covers rent, expenses, & a very basic food budget. Dd considers meat, cheese, & even sliced bread too expensive on her budget.

Certain academic scholarships, at least in the US, bring other after graduation benefits besides the financial benefits. National Merit Scholars or Rhodes Scholars have access to networks that can significant enhance employement or grad school opportunities. Just ask Bill Clinton.

If Laura, or anyone else, has a strong student capable of the academic competitition of a competitive scholarship, there are tremendous benefits to applying and receiving these.

Geesh. If you choose to be offend please feel free to do so. :001_huh:

Cambridge do bursaries too if your income is below a certain amount. I wonder if any of the other Russell group universities do a similar scheme.

I was taking a university bursary into account to make up the full amount. Central government support on its own wouldn't do it.

Laura

Certain academic scholarships, at least in the US, bring other after graduation benefits besides the financial benefits. National Merit Scholars or Rhodes Scholars have access to networks that can significant enhance employement or grad school opportunities. Just ask Bill Clinton.

If Laura, or anyone else, has a strong student capable of the academic competitition of a competitive scholarship, there are tremendous benefits to applying and receiving these.

Geesh. If you choose to be offend please feel free to do so. :001_huh:

If you were trying to discuss the benefits of post-graduation networking in regard to a very, very small number of scholarships, you might have said so instead of essentially sneering at income-based aid and suggesting that an academic scholarship would somehow be more prestigious.

If you were trying to discuss the benefits of post-graduation networking in regard to a very, very small number of scholarships, you might have said so instead of essentially sneering at income-based aid and suggesting that an academic scholarship would somehow be more prestigious.

You're offended because I didn't pose the question in my op as you would prefer it to be worded?:001_rolleyes:

Hmmm, well all-rightly thennnnnn.

When I was going through college I quickly discovered it was to my financial advantage to not go home in the summers to work, but to go to summer school instead. My parents couldn't claim me on their income taxes so my financial aid loan/grant/work study packages were far better since I had almost no income. I also got through school (double major) faster.