Menu

Any bad reviews about All About Reading?

Okay, give it to me. Give me the uglies, the regrets and whatever else you can tell me before I push the ORDER button.

More info:

We will use it afterschooling for ADHD, dyslexia, speech disorder child reading on K level but he's in first grade. Just diagnosed after extensive testing and just started meds for ADHD. He will do resource classes at school but I want something to do with him at home.

_____

I've extensively looked at the samples, ds7 has read from the lessons and readers and asked for his sticker! Warn me now... :001_huh:

Sorry, I can't help you. We love it here!!! We have only hit a few snags in little ways, a word in a game that wasn't introduced, simple fix take that slip of paper out, a word in the reader where the /u/ wasn't introduced, oh well just tell him the sounds and move on.

My son looks forward to it every day.

Sorry, we love it here too. My youngest loves her All About Spelling. My 3rd daughter is attending b&m school at the moment and I've literally started to teach it in the evenings when she's home. So when she comes home for next year she can continue on with it. She loves it too. LOL

I really don't think you'll regret getting it. I know it took a long time for me to decide to get it. But then I won the whole 1st level package so it was decided for me and I wished I had done it a long time ago. Actually I wish that it was around for my oldest because she's the world's worst speller. But then again, she listens to what we do so I know she's picking it up.

Oops, never mind. I though it said All about Spelling. LOL Haven't used all about Reading yet.

Edited by TracyR

Are you considering pre-1 or level one?

We have pre-1, though we didn't get to use it for too long. I thought it was a bit expensive for what you get. Honestly, you can find thousands of free coloring pages with letters and animals online, so I was a bit disappointed in the activity book, though it is nice having it all right there, and there are a few things in there besides that. We never even used the CD- I still don't know what it's for, lol. The Zebra read-aloud book was a bit disappointing. Some of the stories didn't make a lot of sense.

Besides that, though, I liked it. If I had it to do over, I would probably just buy the teacher's guide, Ziggy, the Lizard Lou read-aloud book, and the cards, and then find free coloring sheets and alliterative stories to replace the Zebra book online.

Count me as a naysayer...lol.

I ordered Pre-level 1 and was disappointed to see that it appeared to lack any real depth as far as phonemic awareness goes. I know others disagree with me, but in my flipping through of the materials, I didn't notice enough specific phonemic awareness instruction (rhyming, phoneme manipulation, blending, segmenting, etc.) I know that some folks feel this is a task for a higher grade, but my own opinion is that these tasks should be taught first and THEN reading will fall into place quite easily.

This has been our experience with our oldest two thus far, one of whom is possibly dyslexic.

I returned the AAR Pre-1 and, after flipping through AAS1 (which we are now using), I simply didn't see the need for AAR1. AAS1 does have phonemic awareness instruction, but again, I feel these tasks should be taught earlier in instruction.

For a student that is really struggling with dyslexia, Barton Reading has been STRONGLY recommended. It is expensive, but from what I have read on the Dyslexia Yahoo groups I am a member of, it's thorough and perfect for struggling dyslexics.

I'm not sure what "bad reviews" would constitute. :-) Some people will like it, some won't. Is it a "bad review" if someone doesn't like it? :-)

For myself, I'd always choose Spalding as it is more comprehensive than AAS, and you use the same manual and flash cards for all ages/grade levels (the teacher guides are optional, and really, they're more useful for a classroom situation than for homeschoolers).

Well with AAR's full refund within a year guarantee and the fact we're afterschooling- I think we'll go this route first. My hope is that the public school is effective in placing him in resource class where they can use the expensive curriculum and we'll be doing added support activities at home.

Barton looks fabulous, the price tag is steep for us at this point. If we feel there is a true need to have such a program at home, we'll go that route happily.

• 1 year later...

In your siggy, it says that you use Barton -AND- AAR/AAS?

Sorry, I can't help you. We love it here!!! We have only hit a few snags in little ways, a word in a game that wasn't introduced, simple fix take that slip of paper out, a word in the reader where the /u/ wasn't introduced, oh well just tell him the sounds and move on.

My son looks forward to it every day.

After A LOT of research and looking at the samples of AAR... I decided against it. I kept hearing all the hype (which seems common when something is newer). I am sure AAR would work for some. However, mine are older kids (9 and 10.5), who are struggling readers coming out of the public school system. The lessons didn't seem like "enough" and it only goes up to level 2 so far. Then I had my kids look over it and they didn't really care for it. For the price, I just couldn't justify using it.

Now I am back to the drawing board. So far, Barton is the ONLY thing that is standing out to me. It is SO impressive! My 17yr old daughter and I learned valuable decoding skills from it and we aren't even dyslexic. However, the price... YIKES! (maybe if I get desperate enough ... or win the lottery). $3000 is a lot to spend on a reading program. Each level is $250 / $300 and there are ten of them. Each one lasts 3-4mths. But the cheaper two (level 1 and 2) take even less time.

I have been searching online for ideas - Pinterest has some great activities. I also ordered two books so far "The Reading Teachers Book Of Lists" and "Uncovering The Logic Of English: A Common Sense Approach To Reading, Spelling, And Literacy". I am hoping they give me some aide over the summer - and by fall I will have some sort of idea of what to do about their reading level.

I used AAR pre-reading and found it highly unimpressive -- basically a "letter of the week" program. And not a cheap one. I won't be continuing (to be fair, I like the Lippincott primers and would have had to be pretty inspired to switch).

I like AAS, but I don't like the amount of 'stuff' involved -- the letter tiles and so on. I ditched the letter tiles after level one.

Having a child with those dx plus more I feel your pain. We struggled with spelling for 2 years. When I pulled him out I chose to skip spelling for the time being and focus on phonics. Now that his phonics are much better he is naturally spelling. I wouldn't teach spelling until he is reading a good year or so ahead of the words you want him to spell reading wise.