Menu

If you've been on the fence about Atelier Art

musicianmom

I first heard about Atelier Art several months ago and have been wanting to try it. But it was so expensive, and I'm so non-artistic, and I didn't want something else to sit on my shelf, you know the drill.

I finally decided to try it. After watching the first two lessons, I was amazed. The instructor really does all the work for you! It is the closest thing to having an art teacher in your house. The projects are lovely, age-appropriate, and allow the children to be creative within the framework of instructions.

My girls both drew adorable caterpillars today, and they actually looked as good as the examples of children's work on the video. I nearly cried (okay, well, my hormones are out of whack).

So, there's my opinion of Atelier Art after one day.

The only disadvantage is that there's no art teacher there to bring in supplies and encourage children to clean up afterwards. ;)

We've done most of a module this year, and my kids love it too. I don't know what dd will do when she runs out of wall space to display all her art.

:confused: Ugggghhhh.

After the first couple of shinning reviews, I thought "oh good- that's enough to push me over the edge and purchase it when it goes back up for sale on Homeschool Co-op. After all, I really need to get something off my plate for next year with baby #6 arriving in June".

Then, I read Carol's review...and it is the Year 5 that I had settled on!

ACK!

Any more comments??

:confused: Ugggghhhh.

After the first couple of shinning reviews, I thought "oh good- that's enough to push me over the edge and purchase it when it goes back up for sale on Homeschool Co-op. After all, I really need to get something off my plate for next year with baby #6 arriving in June".

Then, I read Carol's review...and it is the Year 5 that I had settled on!

ACK!

Any more comments??

Well, I'm using year 5 and my daughter and I did our first projects a couple of weeks ago and they came out awesome. I've also used levels 3 and 4 and have been very happy with the program. I think the dvds are well done. Sure, they may have an older feel to them, but I honestly hadn't even noticed that at all. I think the teacher gives a nice presentation and then it's always fun to see the projects the other kids in the "class" are doing. Neither my daughter nor I are "artsy", but Atelier makes us feel like we are because our projects come out so nicely.

I'm tempted to take a picture of our first level 5 project and post it, but I'm not sure I can figure that out.

As far as the price goes, yes, there are only 18 lessons. But, I find that we often spend more than one session on a project, especially beginning with level 4. We really put our hearts into them. I know if I paid for art lessons anywhere, it would cost me significantly more than Atelier. Plus, I have sold the other levels I've used for about $100, so I spent very little in the end for those lessons.

Lisa

post-122-13535086401532_thumb.jpg

post-122-13535086401913_thumb.jpg

post-122-13535086401532_thumb.jpg

post-122-13535086401913_thumb.jpg

Edited by LisaTheresa

Well, I'm using year 5 and my daughter and I did our first projects a couple of weeks ago and they came out awesome. I've also used levels 3 and 4 and have been very happy with the program. I think the dvds are well done. Sure, they may have an older feel to them, but I honestly hadn't even noticed that at all. I think the teacher gives a nice presentation and then it's always fun to see the projects the other kids in the "class" are doing. Neither my daughter nor I are "artsy", but Atelier makes us feel like we are because our projects come out so nicely.

I'm tempted to take a picture of our first level 5 project and post it, but I'm not sure I can figure that out.

As far as the price goes, yes, there are only 18 lessons. But, I find that we often spend more than one session on a project, especially beginning with level 4. We really put our hearts into them. I know if I paid for art lessons anywhere, it would cost me significantly more than Atelier. Plus, I have sold the other levels I've used for about $100, so I spent very little in the end for those lessons.

Lisa

Beautiful pictures. I love them! I wanna do that!!!

We love Atelier. We have been doing it for about 7 years. We are sporadic so we haven't gotten through seven years worth of lessons, but i love it. I probably wouldn't teach art at all without it. All I have to do is make sure we have the supplies and the video and my kids do the rest. It is dd10's favorite part of school.

Your projects turned out awesome.

Thanks, Edwena!

This thread has motivated me to move onto our next lesson today. This is the first year we haven't been keeping up with our art lessons because we've been so busy, but I've really missed them.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Can I hijack to ask what level you'd suggest for a 9 year old boy who is fairly artistic but will have his 2 older sisters tagging along who are not as artistic and his 7 year old brother tagging along who is a typical 7 year old boy in terms of art skill? We've done some Mark Kistler but not much. We've also done some nature drawing and a tiny bit of water color. We own Discoveries in Art but it just didn't float my boat. I'll sell it if anyone wants it ;)

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread for those trying to decide whether or not to purchase Atelier Art. Post #12 includes artwork by a mom and daughter using level 5. She also comments about her experience with levels 3 and 4.

Hoping this helps anyone trying to decide on a purchase before the sale ends at homeschoolbuyerscoop dot com on the 30th of April.......

At the time of this post, we are only 10 purchases away from 30% off and 25 purchases away from 40% off (and you can enter your purchase as being conditional for it to reach 40% off).

I love Atelier Art. We are doing level 5 at the moment. We will be working on lesson 5 this weekend. The kids love the program and they have produced some great art. I even had to buy a special frame by lil davinci to store the work in. It is great. We add there new art every week and it stores 50 in each frame. Makes there work look professional. I am hoping the groupbuy will hit 40, am purchasing next 2 levels.

post-46140-13535086572778_thumb.jpg

post-46140-1353508657313_thumb.jpg

post-46140-1353508657348_thumb.jpg

post-46140-13535086572778_thumb.jpg

post-46140-1353508657313_thumb.jpg

post-46140-1353508657348_thumb.jpg

Edited by lillybell
Updated the pics

For those of you who've used more than one level of Atelier — are the lessons really different in each level (different topics, different videos, different projects), or is it more like Meet the Masters, where the lessons are pretty much the same in each level, and the projects are just "simplified" for the lower levels?

I've already ordered Level 8, but since it's now 40% off, I'm thinking that if the lessons and projects are completely different in the different levels, then I may also buy Level 6 or 7. Also, has anyone used levels 6-8? Any preference among those?

ETA: Many thanks to those who've posted sample projects — that helps a lot!

Thanks,

Jackie

For those of you who've used more than one level of Atelier — are the lessons really different in each level (different topics, different videos, different projects), or is it more like Meet the Masters, where the lessons are pretty much the same in each level, and the projects are just "simplified" for the lower levels?

I'd love to know this too. I am waffling between levels 3 or 4 and maybe also 5 for my kids. Will it most likely be 40% off again in a year? Should I stick to one level? If so, does the Hive say to get level 3 or 4 for us to begin with? Thanks!

I love Atelier Art. We are doing level 5 at the moment. We will be working on lesson 5 this weekend. The kids love the program and they have produced some great art. I even had to buy a special frame by lil davinci to store the work in. It is great. We add there new art every week and it stores 50 in each frame. Makes there work look professional. I am hoping the groupbuy will hit 40, am purchasing next 2 levels.

Thanks for mentioning those frames! I had never heard of them before, but now I've got one on my wishlist.

I've already ordered Level 8, but since it's now 40% off, I'm thinking that if the lessons and projects are completely different in the different levels, then I may also buy Level 6 or 7. Also, has anyone used levels 6-8? Any preference among those?

Thanks,

Jackie

I've owned level 3 and currently own level 4. So far, none have been the same.

Thanks,

Jackie

I have definitely noticed that there are some lessons that are on the same topics each year, but the project for the lesson is a little more sophisticated from the earlier year. For example, I believe color values are in both levels 4 and 5. There have been contour drawing lessons in levels 3, 4, and 5. Shapes were covered in levels 3 and 4, but in level 3, a picture was made with simple shapes cut out of construction paper and in level 4, the child makes printing blocks to complete their project. Overlapping figures is in a number of the levels, but again, the projects are different.

Personally, I don't mind this at all as I find my child needs to be able to do more than one project in order to completely learn the technique or concept. As she grows and matures, she is able to apply the technique at a higher level.

Lisa

I have definitely noticed that there are some lessons that are on the same topics each year, but the project for the lesson is a little more sophisticated from the earlier year. For example, I believe color values are in both levels 4 and 5. There have been contour drawing lessons in levels 3, 4, and 5. Shapes were covered in levels 3 and 4, but in level 3, a picture was made with simple shapes cut out of construction paper and in level 4, the child makes printing blocks to complete their project. Overlapping figures is in a number of the levels, but again, the projects are different.

Personally, I don't mind this at all as I find my child needs to be able to do more than one project in order to completely learn the technique or concept. As she grows and matures, she is able to apply the technique at a higher level.

Lisa

I noticed that, for example, there were very similar B&W outline drawings filled with squiggly patterns for levels 1, 2, and 5 (they even showed basically the same caterpillar for levels 1 & 5, just with more elaborate patterns in level 5), so I was concerned that doing more than one level in a year would mean repeating a lesson, with just a slight increase in complexity. I sure wish they would show more samples, or provide a scope & sequence for each level! For some reason they seem to be very vague and cagey as to what's covered. :glare: MTM provides project samples for all three levels of every lesson, along with details of the artist, concepts, and techniques covered. I don't get why Atelier can't do the same? :confused:

Jackie

I noticed that, for example, there were very similar B&W outline drawings filled with squiggly patterns for levels 1, 2, and 5 (they even showed basically the same caterpillar for levels 1 & 5, just with more elaborate patterns in level 5), so I was concerned that doing more than one level in a year would mean repeating a lesson, with just a slight increase in complexity. I sure wish they would show more samples, or provide a scope & sequence for each level! For some reason they seem to be very vague and cagey as to what's covered. :glare: MTM provides project samples for all three levels of every lesson, along with details of the artist, concepts, and techniques covered. I don't get why Atelier can't do the same? :confused:

Jackie

They do include a scope and sequence in the parents' and teacher's manual. Last year, when I bought from the HSBC, this manual was included with each of the levels I bought. I know that doesn't help you out much this year, though. A scope and sequence on their website would be nice.

I didn't do levels 1 or 2, so level 5 was my first experience with the project you are referring to. I have pretty much always felt that there has been enough variation in the projects with the exception of one of the artist appreciation lessons is repeated in levels 4 and 5. The lesson is different, but similar and I had to kind of wonder why they chose to use the same artist 2 years in a row when there are so many to choose from. The one in lesson 4 uses crayon, the one in lesson 5 uses tempera paints.

I think if your kids are using one level a year, some of the duplicate coverage of topics is not as much of an issue. (At least it isn't for us.) If you are one who does more than a level in a year, I can see where it might be bothersome, though.

Lisa

Would anyone recommend getting level 1 and then proceeding on with the next levels for older kids? Or is it definitely too easy for older kids? I still can't decide what level to begin with!

My youngest is 8 and he is doing okay with level 4. I wouldn't go below level 3 if your youngest is 7. It does not require prior experience with the program or art at all even in level 4.