Menu

Looking for a non hyper good dog for kids

Right now I have an english setter/lab mix who is 7 months old. We got her at 5 1/2 weeks. She is ok inside but when the kids go out in the backyard to play she is so aggressive with the puppy biting and jumping. She bites on their clothes put holes in the as well as hurts them.

I may have to get a different dog. I grew up with dogs and have never had this issue. I'm guessing maybe the english setter in her might be too hyper and have too much energy. It could just be her disposition but either way, I'd like to have a dog that the kids could go out in the backyard to play and not be afraid of.

Any suggestions?

puppy school?

DH says he doesn't want to pay for obedience training. He doesn't think it'll work since the problem is when the kids go out to play with her. If the trainer doesn't do it where the problem is (outside playing) then it probably won't solve the problem and won't be worth the money invested.

Right now I have an english setter/lab mix who is 7 months old. We got her at 5 1/2 weeks. She is ok inside but when the kids go out in the backyard to play she is so aggressive with the puppy biting and jumping. She bites on their clothes put holes in the as well as hurts them.

We got a puppy that we later guessed/found out--from conversations with vet and trainers--was probably only 6 weeks old at adoption instead of the 8 that was claimed. She was the same way, unable to control her biting. She simply wasn't safe for the children or other pets. We ended up spending a lot of money on training and having to give her up anyway. It was a pretty painful experience. ETA: We worked with the local shelter, who agreed (after trying to guilt us into keeping her and threatening to put her down if we didn't take her back--it wasn't a 100% great experience) that she was not a good family dog, and she did find a home with only adults. She is doing very well there.

I'd suggest adopting an older puppy or an adult dog. We waited for a long time, watching Petfinder and talking to local pet adoption agencies before we found our very calm sweet dog. I am so glad we waited and got an older puppy, because his temperament was already somewhat known and he'd had some training in his foster home. We were a little...a lot...hesitant to get another dog, but he is a great addition to the family. He's just what we were hoping for, a companion for the children and for us. We all adore him.

If you really want a young puppy, both vet and trainer suggested to us that we wait until puppy is 8-10 weeks old before being taken from the mom.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. I am sure it's been a difficult experience. I hope you find the right dog.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

We have a chocolate lab that we got as a puppy. He was rather aggressive with play when he was a puppy. We taught the children how to respond when he became to rough. By the time he turned one he was less rough, but the kids still couldn't play with any balls around him or he would chew it to pieces. Now at two he understands what are his toys to play with, appropriate play level, and has turned into a wonderful pet. Puppies take a lot of patience and training, just like children do.

We got a puppy that we later guessed/found out--from conversations with vet and trainers--was probably only 6 weeks old at adoption instead of the 8 that was claimed. She was the same way, unable to control her biting. She simply wasn't safe for the children or other pets. We ended up spending a lot of money on training and having to give her up anyway. It was a pretty painful experience. ETA: We worked with the local shelter, who agreed (after trying to guilt us into keeping her and threatening to put her down if we didn't take her back--it wasn't a 100% great experience) that she was not a good family dog, and she did find a home with only adults. She is doing very well there.

I'd suggest adopting an older puppy or an adult dog. We waited for a long time, watching Petfinder and talking to local pet adoption agencies before we found our very calm sweet dog. I am so glad we waited and got an older puppy, because his temperament was already somewhat known and he'd had some training in his foster home. We were a little...a lot...hesitant to get another dog, but he is a great addition to the family. He's just what we were hoping for, a companion for the children and for us. We all adore him.

If you really want a young puppy, both vet and trainer suggested to us that we wait until puppy is 8-10 weeks old before being taken from the mom.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. I am sure it's been a difficult experience. I hope you find the right dog.

Cat

yeah, I was thinking that this pup was too young to be removed. There were 6 pups in the litter. The other 5 were already gone. After we got her I read that there is so much learning for a pup from her litter mates and mom so she shouldn't be removed before 8 weeks. I think she wasn't able to learn how to play from her brothers and sisters and now she plays rough with my kids and myself. I can't go into the backyard either without her trying to play with me that way either. It doesn't have to be a puppy that we get. I would like a young dog however. I'm thinking an older dog would have a harder time learning our rules unless taught from the beginning. My DH is real strict with the dogs. We love her, just not sure how long to continue trying. I can't go through the summer with the kids not being able to play in the backyard :001_unsure:

I may have to get a different dog. I grew up with dogs and have never had this issue. I'm guessing maybe the english setter in her might be too hyper and have too much energy. It could just be her disposition but either way, I'd like to have a dog that the kids could go out in the backyard to play and not be afraid of.

Any suggestions?

I haven't read the replies yet, but the problem is probably multi-fold, beginning with the fact that 5.5 weeks is way, WAY, WAAAAY too early for a pup to leave momma dog. Had he stayed with mom, he would have done a lot of learning regarding bite inhibition, etc.

English setters are gun dogs and have notoriously soft mouths. I personally have seen more Labs and Lab mixes that were TERRIBLE family dogs than I've seen the opposite. I know they're the #1 dog in the country, and EVERYONE thinks they're great family dogs, but I do not, and I base that on very extensive professional experience. One of the biggest issues is that so many Labs are just uncontrollably hyper. I'd wager it's the Lab in him that is making him bite and spiral, not the setter. But I could be wrong.

In any case, he needs MUCH MUCH more exercise and some seriously consistent intervention.

Good luck to you; it's a tough situation.

ETA: Please, please consider adopting an older dog. If your husband is unwilling to spend money on a trainer or obedience classes, then you're probably doomed from the start with a puppy or young dog. I feel badly for your older dog. It's not her fault she had a very early start in life, and now she's probably going to pay the ultimate price.

astrid

Edited by astrid

DH says he doesn't want to pay for obedience training. He doesn't think it'll work since the problem is when the kids go out to play with her. If the trainer doesn't do it where the problem is (outside playing) then it probably won't solve the problem and won't be worth the money invested.

Actually the trainer trains you how to communicate with the dog. If the children are not training the dog then you or your husband or better yet both of you need to be doing that.

She is a puppy being left around a group of children, she is doing exactly what another puppy would be doing right now.

She needs training to learn what is expected of her but she also need to be tired out. SO more exercise for her BEFORE she would be allowed out with the children but only supervised with them anyway.

Labs are HIGH energy dogs until adulthood. Setters can be as well though but really this is an untrained owner that has an untrained puppy. So no breed recommendations for you really because some of your husbands expectations are unrealistic or with the info that you gave in your first post.

If you are looking to find her a new home please do not get another puppy. FInd an older dog who has already been trained and then find out how to communicate with them as well.

Good luck!

I agree my DH has unreal expectations. Our last dog was a lab/beagle mix and she was a fantasic family dog. So gentle and obedient. I'm trying to do all I can to help train the one we have. I've been reading what I can to learn more. I'm not new to dogs although I don't claim to be a trainer and am willing to learn. I've have 2 dogs from pup to birth and grew up with at least 6 different dogs and haven't come across this kind of behavior. We don't want to get rid of her but not sure how long to try to make it work. I don't want anyone to think I'm just willing to pitch her because that is far from the truth.

I'm hoping someone can give me ideas on gentle breeds and/or more training tips. Thank you.

Edited by Mom28kds

Training tips are out there.

Honestly any time there are children in the home I recommend the 4-H books on dogs. They give some great ideas for both the children and parents.

Or better yet join a 4-H club. If you are unable to join a club then the books are really cheap through the national 4-H office.

Really, at her age she needs to be tired out! A semi heavy walk a few times a day, play time in the yard(supervised only and the moment that she play bites, play time is over). Do not overstimulate her prey drive by having the children run around outside when she is out there for her playtime UNTIL she can stay calm enough. So she needs exercise before they go out for playtime. Then you can take her with you on a leash while they are outside playing. If she gets to worked up inside she goes or better yet you would then take her on another walk to work out that prey drive energy.

Anyway these are just some tips. Most trainers do not charge that much, I would still look into a local training club for some help. Even one session of classes(6-8 weeks worth) could teach you and her a lot of info. Most times the cost would run between $40-100.00 for the session. That can still be cheaper than a whole new dog and you would be learning as well as showing your children how to work with animals!

Also talk with your vet because sometimes they even host training sessions!

Exercise,exercise,exercise. A tried dog is a happy dog and she needs to be really tired before settling down!

I appreciate the difficulty of your situation. I guess I was unsure about your intent because your subject line clearly indicated that you want a new dog, not this one.

Because this pup missed out on the extremely important socialization periods with her littermates and momma dog, it's going to take WORK to change this behavior, and will require absolute consistency on the part of every family member, kids included. Especially the kids, in this instance. Supervised, of course. It's a big commitment, and one with which the whole family, your DH included must be on board. I'm always happy to help with dog training questions and offer solutions, but unless there's buy-in from everyone in the household, it won't be successful.

Astrid

Any suggestions?

Well - your dog is still a baby! Give her time to grow up, please. Most dogs are a little rambunctious until they are about 18 months. Labs are until they are 2 yrs.

We have a great dane - wonderful dog, but she had to grow up.... didn't settle into her couch potato self until she was 2.....

Edited by SailorMom

I appreciate the difficulty of your situation. I guess I was unsure about your intent because your subject line clearly indicated that you want a new dog, not this one.

Because this pup missed out on the extremely important socialization periods with her littermates and momma dog, it's going to take WORK to change this behavior, and will require absolute consistency on the part of every family member, kids included. Especially the kids, in this instance. Supervised, of course. It's a big commitment, and one with which the whole family, your DH included must be on board. I'm always happy to help with dog training questions and offer solutions, but unless there's buy-in from everyone in the household, it won't be successful.

Astrid

:iagree:

Around here, puppy classes are around $80-90 for an 8 week class. IMO classes are better for puppies than using a trainer individually. I'd have the kids go too. I think it's a bargain.

I recommend you start walking her on a leash daily. She needs to know you are the pack leader. After a few minutes of walking when she settles some, let the kids share in walking her. Even if you don't have time for a full on walk, I'd put her on a leash and walk around the yard for a few minutes and then engage her in a game of fetch to burn off some energy. She is very much still a puppy a d will learn to act appropriately if you take the time to teach her.

Another tip from trainers would be to "settle" her. You put her on her back and hold her where she can't move. When she tries together up or move you say "settle" in a firm, in control tone. This last a few minutes. With repetition she will learn what it means to settle on command.

My credential are that I was a mommy to 3 Rottweilers, and 2 Yorkies (at different times). Hth!

Hijacking a little here (sorry!) What 4H books are you referring to? The dog curriculum books? I'm :bigear: because we're in the investigating stage and I'd like lots of information. Thank you!

Training tips are out there.

Honestly any time there are children in the home I recommend the 4-H books on dogs. They give some great ideas for both the children and parents.

Or better yet join a 4-H club. If you are unable to join a club then the books are really cheap through the national 4-H office.

Really, at her age she needs to be tired out! A semi heavy walk a few times a day, play time in the yard(supervised only and the moment that she play bites, play time is over). Do not overstimulate her prey drive by having the children run around outside when she is out there for her playtime UNTIL she can stay calm enough. So she needs exercise before they go out for playtime. Then you can take her with you on a leash while they are outside playing. If she gets to worked up inside she goes or better yet you would then take her on another walk to work out that prey drive energy.

Anyway these are just some tips. Most trainers do not charge that much, I would still look into a local training club for some help. Even one session of classes(6-8 weeks worth) could teach you and her a lot of info. Most times the cost would run between $40-100.00 for the session. That can still be cheaper than a whole new dog and you would be learning as well as showing your children how to work with animals!

Also talk with your vet because sometimes they even host training sessions!

Exercise,exercise,exercise. A tried dog is a happy dog and she needs to be really tired before settling down!

I have to agree--puppies take lots of work, and a puppy taken at 5 1/2 weeks needs a ton of extra work. If you have any inclination to keep this pup, I would recommend checking out the website mysmartpuppy dot com. (Not sure if I am allowed to link to this.) I love the book of the same name, and the site has active forums that may be able to give the guidance and help you need to get things back on track.

:iagree:

And PLEASE, if you get another young dog, DO NOT get one under 10 weeks old. Sending a 5.5 week old pup home with new parents is like sending a one year old to boarding school.

astrid

Believe me, I won't :001_smile:

I have to agree--puppies take lots of work, and a puppy taken at 5 1/2 weeks needs a ton of extra work. If you have any inclination to keep this pup, I would recommend checking out the website mysmartpuppy dot com. (Not sure if I am allowed to link to this.) I love the book of the same name, and the site has active forums that may be able to give the guidance and help you need to get things back on track.

I'll check it out, Thanks.