Menu

Your and You're Are Not Synonyms

:lol: Thank YOU for this :grouphug:. Glad no one jumped down your throat ;). When I started a similar thread (which shall go unmentioned) a week or two ago, you should have seen the attacks. You'd think I'd committed some crime or something :lol:. On the other hand, I got several loving and sweet private messages.

As Caribbean folk often say, sometimes people get just a little too "ticklish". :rolleyes:

It has been a problem for at least 10 years. Even some people who read well do it, but NONE of my remedial students use them properly. I added a grammar lesson for the most common mistakes towards the end of my phonics lessons to address this problem, my next to last phonics lesson.

My phonics lesson 31:

Teaches: grammar (their, they're, there; it's, its; your, you're; two, too, to)

I think that most of these kinds of errors are proofreading errors. When I type quickly I do make some of these kinds of mistakes even though I know perfectly well how to do it correctly. The only reason they don't show up in my posts most of the time is because I take a second to proofread what I wrote before hitting send.

I think that most of these kinds of errors are proofreading errors. When I type quickly I do make some of these kinds of mistakes even though I know perfectly well how to do it correctly. The only reason they don't show up in my posts most of the time is because I take a second to proofread what I wrote before hitting send.

I agree. It usually doesn't bother me to see it in casual writing. However, seeing it on a professionally-created sign leaves me speechless! NO ONE caught that error? NO ONE? REALLY?

I agree. It usually doesn't bother me to see it in casual writing. However, seeing it on a professionally-created sign leaves me speechless! NO ONE caught that error? NO ONE? REALLY?

:iagree: Exactly.

Typing fast on message boards and such is one thing. A public sign is a Very Different Thing!!!

Anne

Guest submarines
I think you're noticing it more.

I'm also on a writer's list - and every once in a while, the pet peeves will fly. gee, that list of misused words can grow pretty long. . . . .

:iagree:I think people are much more public with their writing, than even 10 years ago.