Menu

Yet Another Diet Question ~ Gary Taubes

Just finished his book - Why We Get Fat, which I really, really enjoyed - very eye-opening, very scientific, well-researched and insightful.

9780307949431.jpg

I'm embarrassed to be starting yet another diet/eating thread.

Questions for those who have read and possibly/hopefully tried his approach:

* Did you lose weight?

* Any other benefits?

* Is it relatively easy to follow, practical, etc.

* Any other books or sites you can recommend? Does one follow Atkins or something? I'm a bit confused here, because, it seems that he doesn't go the whole 9 yards to recommend any specific book, etc. This is obviously not a diet book, per se.

* Did you regain the weight as soon as you came off the program - birthdays, vacations, etc.

* Did you go completely no-carb, or just more moderate?

* Anything else you can kindly take the time to share?

ETA:

* What does maintenance look like? Are you completely no-carb forever or low-carb? Maintenance concerns me the most. All or most diets work while we're on them. It's the keeping it off that's the hardest part.

* I'm wondering if I can cut out the main culprits - sugar, all refined carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.), but still have some fruit? I love fruit ... but that may be part of the reason why it's a problem for me.

I've never liked dieting. Loathed it in fact. But the older I get, the harder time I have with weight loss and maintenance. I believe that so much of what he says is relevant to me.

I wish I could follow a more moderate approach - NoS, etc. - but those don't do anything for me.

This is all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions in a while.

Thank you for listening. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Thank you so much for the links and book recommendation. This is so helpful. Off to do more research and reading. :)

If anyone else has read the book and hopefully has had experience with this approach, please do share.

TIA. :)

You may want to read The Perfect Health diet next. Or at least read the blog.

The problem with this one is that it has 1 pound of "safe" starches per day - potatoes, etc. That goes against Taubes.

Thank you, anyway. Off to look at the other one.

The whole diet/food thing gets overwhelming. I'm just tired of it. :tongue_smilie:

I really do appreciate your help, however. :grouphug:

Hi, I am responding to your pm asking me to share my Atkins experience.:)

First of all, I totally recommend the Atkins plan. It is the most successful plan for weight loss that I have experienced. I knew going in that I had a problem with sweets and starches. In other words, if I overate or went back for seconds, it would be for mashed potatoes or more rice or another piece of dessert.

I started in June 2008. I almost quit. The first week of induction is really hard. One thing I will say is that I wish Dr. Atkins had written in his book more about how hard induction could be. You are sort of in a withdrawal state. On top of that, your body is switching fuel sources. It switches from carbs for fuel, to body fat for fuel. It can take a day or so for the switch, so you might feel very very weak and like you cannot do anything . I could barely walk on day three . It was bad. Then when you get over that it get SO much easier.

When I got past that, I felt great and my appetite was under control. I could get in the kitchen with my dd and back cupcakes and totally be uninterested in eating any.

I did go through the levels in the book. During induction (2 weeks) I lost five pounds. Then as I continued, there were more losses. Over 5 months I lost 25 pounds, then a little more as I went into premaintenance and maintenance. Altogether I lost 34 pounds. Truthfully, I did not intend to lose that much, but the diet is efficient and I did.

Now for full disclosure.:D I am struggling right now. I slowly have been putting weight on over the past couple of years. I attribute it to a few factors. Basically I think it's turning 40 a couple of years ago, hormonal issues and some health issues I am dealing with. Oh, and the idea that since I lost all that weight I could eat off plan "occasionally'. Yeah. Maybe It was not occasional enough.:glare: All the weight has not returned, but some has. I am working on it. I may not get down to as low a weight as I was, but that's okay. I am still in a healthy weight range right now.

I did read Gary Taubes book "Good Calories, Bad Calories." I agree with it, but was already successful with Atkins when I read it so it wasn't really news for me. I have not read the book in your original post, though.

I hope this helps. :001_smile: Editing after I reread your post-Yes, keeping the weight off is the hardest. I think that is the case regardless of your plan. Atkins is not no carb, it is low carb. You go through several levels where you slowly add back in more carbs in 5 or 10 gram per day amounts. You will need to stay on plan but it's a good plan. You said that maintenance concerns you most. Good thinking. Maintenance is so important and it is where most people (including me ) struggle or get derailed. But that's okay. We don't have to be perfect and a plan doesn't have to be perfect. We just get started and follow our plan and do our best.

Edited by sunflowerlady

I actually went on the Gary Taubes diet before I read Gary Taubes :D. It was fun to read all the science backing up what I was doing anyway, though!

I do no grains, no sugar. But in my head when I get to maintaining, I'll add the strategic use of high-antioxidant fruit. Still, I am thinking like one to two cups of berries or such a week is all I can personally handle. I am a sugar addict, and this most definitely includes starches, which send me right to sugar.

I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months without exercise. Now, I do also have cancer . . . but they are holding off on any treatment; my oncologist says I shouldn't be experiencing weight loss from the disease. So guess you have to take my experience with a grain of salt?

I've always lost weight in the past when I've gone no-grain no-sugar, when not sick. For example, in 2005 I lost 25 pounds and hit goal weight by using Mercola's "The No-Grain Diet" and the only exercise I used was "Walk Away The Pounds" level one, really basic walking. So when I did get sick and went no-sugar no-grain in order to not feed the cancer any sugar/sugar converters, I wasn't surprised at all to lose weight.

The cookbooks and blog recipes I'm using are "Paleo" or "Primal". They fit Gary Taubes' approach really well if you ignore the dessert recipes :). Our two favorite books are Make It Paleo and The Well-Fed Paleo. Everything we've made from these books so far is delicious. Paleo Comfort Foods we've gotten a couple of recipes from but we don't like it quite so well around here.

After I did the first 5 2-week menu plans using these books or Paleo website recipes, I was able to just use my "regular" cookbooks and do menu plans, although different recipes than we used to do. We have several entirely different diets around here due to health issues, so the way we deal with it is by scheduling a whole-family Paleo dinner, then the grain-eaters can do something like oats for breakfast or sandwich at lunch if they want.

This might be a helpful chart to you - it shows the difference between Atkins, Paleo, and Primal (although honestly IRL lots of bloggers use Paleo/Primal interchangeably).

Favorite website for frequently updated Paleo/Primal info: Mark's Daily Apple.

Three recipe websites we've used/liked: Chowstalker's Gallery for rotating inspiration, Purely Primal, and Mastering the Art of Paleo Cooking. Oops, almost missed Nom Nom Paleo, so four.

Another nice thing about being Paleo/Primal are that the websites and blogs don't "feel" like people dieting, more like a community that lives differently permanently. So there's not much sense of fixing a problem then leaving, which I think helps with being in it for the long run. More like homeschooling boards, where yeah you live differently and sure maybe you're missing out on some stuff, but that's how you've decided to live. And you find it worth it.

Uhm . . . didn't mean to write a book or anything there :blushing:. I do have one 2-week menu rotation that is entirely off websites/blogs if you'd like to try before buying anything. You can pm me again if you'd like that.

I have a friends who has tried Atkins, South Beach Diet, Special K, and Gluten Free. While she did lose the weight, she could never maintain it and always gained it back, and then some. I felt terrible for her, until a few months ago, she discovered this http://www.nosdiet.com/ and she has lost 25 lbs, and is still losing the weight. She looks great, and she does not work out (she hates working out) and she has a low metabolism making it hard for her to lose weight. I have adopted a few of the methods as well and my weight dropped as well.

She highly reccommends the lifestyle change as she calls it. That's my $0.02.:D

ADD: My friend tried this one as well, and she did not lose any weight, in fact she gained it all back. The No S Diet was the only thing that has allowed her to lose weight, and she doesn't even work out!!!!

Edited by LuvingLife

I have a friends who has tried Atkins, South Beach Diet, Special K, and Gluten Free. While she did lose the weight, she could never maintain it and always gained it back, and then some. I felt terrible for her, until a few months ago, she discovered this http://www.nosdiet.com/ and she has lost 25 lbs, and is still losing the weight. She looks great, and she does not work out (she hates working out) and she has a low metabolism making it hard for her to lose weight. I have adopted a few of the methods as well and my weight dropped as well.

She highly reccommends the lifestyle change as she calls it. That's my $0.02.:D

ADD: My friend tried this one as well, and she did not lose any weight, in fact she gained it all back. The No S Diet was the only thing that has allowed her to lose weight, and she doesn't even work out!!!!

Will reply to everyone tomorrow. Thank you all for your fabulous replies. Keep them coming. So helpful. :grouphug:

Luving Life, quick question: how does your friend determine how much to put on her plate? I have struggled with NoS and would really, really, really love it to work for me. Give me nice and simple any day. I hate cooking and Atkins, etc. would mean cooking and food prep for me. Can't stand cooking and food prep. :glare:

I don't know if my limited experience will be of any help. I'm not specifically following Taubes.

I was recently diagnosed as being diabetic. So, after some research, I changed my diet. Rather than going with the typical diabetic diet, I decided to go with a LC/HF. I cut out all simple carbs and starches. No more sugar, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, grains, veggies that grow under the ground, etc. The first couple of days I had headaches. After that, I was fine. I no longer crave carbs. I actually am not even tempted by carbs. I haven't lost any weight yet, but am maintaining. I had previously lost 120 pounds and would like to lose another 25-30. For me, this isn't a temporary diet, or one to specifically lose weight. This is a total lifestyle change. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and am very comfortable with the changes.

One thing that is really helping me is to find recipes/meals that feel "normal". Ones that I can cook and feel really satisfied. I've found substitutes for foods that I loved but can no longer have. As an example, yesterday I tried a recipe for a biscuit made from coconut flour. It was excellent. So, now I can have a sandwich rather than just a lettuce wrap. I can have biscuits and gravy if I want.

Right now, I can see doing this for the rest of my life. I hope I'm able to.

Once again, thank you all so very much.

I knew going in that I had a problem with sweets and starches. In other words, if I overate or went back for seconds, it would be for mashed potatoes or more rice or another piece of dessert.

Yes, this is me also. Starches and sweets are my downfall. For years and years, I'd read and been under the impression that having baked potatoes, whole wheat bread, rice, etc. - are all good for feeling full, reducing cravings, etc. This book has completely changed my mindset.

The first week of induction is really hard.

This is very helpful to know. For me, timing is everything. If I do Atkins, as with most diets, I'll have to time the first few days for a not-so-stressful time.

I could get in the kitchen with my dd and back cupcakes and totally be uninterested in eating any.

I would love it if this is the case for me also. Baking and cooking are my biggest challenges. I seldom bake when trying to lose weight. I loathe cooking primarily because I have noticed that the more time I spend in the kitchen, the harder time I have with weight.

ETA: I have no problem making breakfasts, which I love to do and go all-out with, since that's when I have the most energy. But by the time it comes to dinner, especially - I cannot stand it.

I am struggling right now. I slowly have been putting weight on over the past couple of years. I attribute it to a few factors. Basically I think it's turning 40 a couple of years ago, hormonal issues and some health issues I am dealing with. Oh, and the idea that since I lost all that weight I could eat off plan "occasionally'.

Yes, this is my concern also. Putting the weight back on - and eating off plan is the bane of my existence. Not at the beginning, but generally after a while.

I hear you on the turning 40 thing. I'm 44 and it seems that my body has completely changed. I used to be able to run a few miles and eat what I want. Then, in my 30s, that became a bit more difficult. Now, in my 40s, it's so much harder. I dread to think what it'll be like in my 50s and 60s. :001_huh: Sorry to hear about your health issues. :grouphug:

You mentioned working on losing weight again. My question is, again, if you have time, will you be doing the Atkins approach again, or some other approach? I wish that I could just find a simple, no-fuss, effective approach. I don't want to spend the rest of my life having so much of my thinking consumed with food, diet, weight loss, etc. I'm tired of it and wish that I didn't have to think about it much anymore.

Yes, keeping the weight off is the hardest. I think that is the case regardless of your plan.

You said that maintenance concerns you most. Good thinking. Maintenance is so important and it is where most people (including me ) struggle or get derailed. But that's okay. We don't have to be perfect and a plan doesn't have to be perfect. We just get started and follow our plan and do our best.

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement. :grouphug:

I'll add the strategic use of high-antioxidant fruit. Still, I am thinking like one to two cups of berries or such a week is all I can personally handle.

I could do this for a while, but I know that just 1-2 cups of fruit/berries per week, would lead to my failure on any plan. I love fruit. I'm willing to forego some fruit (bananas, etc.), but if someone tells me to have barely any fruit, if at all, I know that at some point, I will eventually crack.

I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months without exercise. Now, I do also have cancer

Good for you on the weight loss! :D

I hope and pray that your cancer will be soon gone. :grouphug:

Uhm . . . didn't mean to write a book or anything there

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all that. I'm looking at the books you suggested and will take a look at the sites also.

I'm not sure that I can do Paleo/Primal, and not sure if I can handle that commitment at this point in my life.

* Hard to get much of the foods here. Very hard. Nothing organic, etc.

* As I mentioned above, I'm at a point in my life where I really dislike cooking. The more time I spend in the kitchen, the more I want to eat. I have found that when I seldom cook, I eat less.

* I can handle some of Gary Taubes - make liver, for example; or eggs and bacon, etc. - but to go all out and cook almost all my meals (particularly when I know that I'll have to likely cook separate stuff for my extremely picky family), I don't know if I can do that. :confused:

she discovered this http://www.nosdiet.com/ and she has lost 25 lbs, and is still losing the weight. She looks great, and she does not work out (she hates working out) and she has a low metabolism making it hard for her to lose weight. I have adopted a few of the methods as well and my weight dropped as well.

She highly reccommends the lifestyle change as she calls it.

ADD: My friend tried this one as well, and she did not lose any weight, in fact she gained it all back. The No S Diet was the only thing that has allowed her to lose weight

You've gotten me thinking now. I've tried the NoS once or twice. Never for very long, however. It didn't work for me at all. I guess I need more structure. I would really, really love it if it worked for me. I want to make it work. So much easier and simpler than other approaches. My problem is portion sizes at meals. I guess I'll have to figure that out for myself. This is something I'd love.

134826582563914916_zl7G3NdZ_f.jpg

Now I'm confused and overwhelmed - try Gary Taubes/Atkins approach or NoS? :confused: I do want something for life. Something that doesn't require much fuss and bother. I'm tired of all that.

I cut out all simple carbs and starches. No more sugar, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, grains, veggies that grow under the ground, etc. The first couple of days I had headaches. After that, I was fine. I no longer crave carbs. I actually am not even tempted by carbs. I haven't lost any weight yet, but am maintaining. I had previously lost 120 pounds and would like to lose another 25-30. For me, this isn't a temporary diet, or one to specifically lose weight. This is a total lifestyle change.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Thanks again everyone. If you have more to share, please do. I love and really appreciate your posts.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I don't know if my limited experience will be of any help. I'm not specifically following Taubes.

I was recently diagnosed as being diabetic. So, after some research, I changed my diet. Rather than going with the typical diabetic diet, I decided to go with a LC/HF. I cut out all simple carbs and starches. No more sugar, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, grains, veggies that grow under the ground, etc. The first couple of days I had headaches. After that, I was fine. I no longer crave carbs. I actually am not even tempted by carbs. I haven't lost any weight yet, but am maintaining. I had previously lost 120 pounds and would like to lose another 25-30. For me, this isn't a temporary diet, or one to specifically lose weight. This is a total lifestyle change. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and am very comfortable with the changes.

One thing that is really helping me is to find recipes/meals that feel "normal". Ones that I can cook and feel really satisfied. I've found substitutes for foods that I loved but can no longer have. As an example, yesterday I tried a recipe for a biscuit made from coconut flour. It was excellent. So, now I can have a sandwich rather than just a lettuce wrap. I can have biscuits and gravy if I want.

Right now, I can see doing this for the rest of my life. I hope I'm able to.

I have a friend whose dh is diabetic and this is how they eat. He does really well with it. He only sees a spike in his blood sugar when he has sweets, which he mostly avoids.

For some great recipes, I recommend the book Stop Prediabetes Now by Jack Challem. Warning: They do require planning ahead and cooking. ;) But most of the meals were really GOOD. We ate that one way for one week and were never hungry. My teen dd lost 10 lbs that week, and I lost 4 (with barely any exercise... just went for a walk a couple times, although dd was swimming as well). We didn't keep up with it because of the amount of time required for cooking and cleanup Every.Single.Day, but we still use some of the recipes from the book because they were so good. It's not Atkins -- it does use brown rice and certain fruits -- but it obviously works both for overall health and weight loss. :) If I had someone to do the cooking for me, I think I could live on this diet permanently.

Negin, you asked if I will continue with Atkins for weight control. The answer is yes, I think so. It's what I know. I've been following it for four years now. I did take a few months off this last summer to try something else. That was a nice break but it didn't help.

I think I may have to start exercising regularly and/or think about calories in addition to carbs.

In regard to fruits, Atkins allows low carb fruits in higher levels. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries are lower carb. Also apricots are a lower carb fruit. When I got to the level that I could add in a few berries, I thought I was having an awesome treat.:lol: Those five strawberries with my breakfast was like an indulgence.

Oh, and I will probably always have to think about food. Not obsess, but be aware. Also, I have body image issues and I am trying to be nice to myself and realize that it's okay if I stay the weight I am even though I "want" to lose the weight I gained. It's hard to know that "healthy" weight level is good enough and "thinner" is not necessarily better for me.

HTH

Will reply to everyone tomorrow. Thank you all for your fabulous replies. Keep them coming. So helpful. :grouphug:

Luving Life, quick question: how does your friend determine how much to put on her plate? I have struggled with NoS and would really, really, really love it to work for me. Give me nice and simple any day. I hate cooking and Atkins, etc. would mean cooking and food prep for me. Can't stand cooking and food prep. :glare:

Of Course!! It is so simple and easy, especially for those who don't wnjoy cooking, then this is a great diet. My friend struggled at first as well, but it becomes easier as time goes on. Okay, so here my attempt at trying to explain;). Let's begin with breakfast, what do you usually eat? My friend usually eats eggs and toast w/coffee or cold cereal in warmer months, on the days she can splurge a bit, she will add in a slice or two of canadian bacon which is a good breakfast, but not everyday. She eats around 8:00 am and doesn't start feeling hungry until 12:00 noon, if you feel hungry during that time, distract yourself w/something else, chewing gum is a great way to lose hunger pains.

Lunch time (or whenever you feel hungry, usually between 12:00 and 1:00pm) take out a plate that measures about 8 or so inches in diameter, and make some lunch! Honestly my friend threw out everything that is over processed or things that contain lots of sugar. For lunch she either eats leftovers, a sandwich or yogurt w/fruit/veggies. Put them meal onto the plate, and do not go for seconds. Drinking a large glass of water with every meal is very helpful for filling youself up without the extra calories.

Dinner is aorund 6:00 or 7:00 pm and she again makes what she wants(all healthy food, if you want pasta, then have a little pasta!) and places it to fit on one plate, a large glass of water, tea, or lemonade with the meal makes a perfect compliment to a perfect day.

Did I explain it well? If you need more detail don't be afraid to ask!! My friend has a few food allergies she needs to be cautious of, and the beauty of this diet is that you can adapt it to fit you needs. Do you prefer healthier food, then make it healthier! Have fun with it, enjoy your food, don't shove it down your throat like I used to and go up for more. One plate is perfect for her now, and she looks amazing! (This from a girl with a low metabolism and doesn't exercise.

For the S days (Saturday and Sunday, holidays etc.) she enjoys her favorite desserts, or food, again in moderation, After dinner if she wants a piece of cake, she can have a small piece!! (Note: Always eat dessert after dinner or a meal, it helps to not over indulge). If she wants to have some cookies, take two and have your favorite beverage (i.e. milk, tea, water, but nothing that contains a lot of sugar). It's really simple, and makes perfect sense.

I'd recommend reading the book, or his website, it explains things well. Here are some tips: If you feel hungry or need to add in a 4th small meal, make it healthy, like yougurt, veggies, nuts, granola, fruit, etc. If you feel hungry but are not really ready, drink a glass of water or chew some gum. Eating fruit and veggies with meals is a great way to add some extra nutrients and takes away extra calories.:D

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make it sound clear and helpful. I hope this helps you!!

ADD: Try also not to think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change, if you think of it as a diet, then it will become a boring old diet...

Yes, this is me also. Starches and sweets are my downfall. For years and years, I'd read and been under the impression that having baked potatoes, whole wheat bread, rice, etc. - are all good for feeling full, reducing cravings, etc. This book has completely changed my mindset.

This is very helpful to know. For me, timing is everything. If I do Atkins, as with most diets, I'll have to time the first few days for a not-so-stressful time.

I would love it if this is the case for me also. Baking and cooking are my biggest challenges. I seldom bake when trying to lose weight. I loathe cooking primarily because I have noticed that the more time I spend in the kitchen, the harder time I have with weight.

ETA: I have no problem making breakfasts, which I love to do and go all-out with, since that's when I have the most energy. But by the time it comes to dinner, especially - I cannot stand it.

Yes, this is my concern also. Putting the weight back on - and eating off plan is the bane of my existence. Not at the beginning, but generally after a while.

I hear you on the turning 40 thing. I'm 44 and it seems that my body has completely changed. I used to be able to run a few miles and eat what I want. Then, in my 30s, that became a bit more difficult. Now, in my 40s, it's so much harder. I dread to think what it'll be like in my 50s and 60s. :001_huh: Sorry to hear about your health issues. :grouphug:

You mentioned working on losing weight again. My question is, again, if you have time, will you be doing the Atkins approach again, or some other approach? I wish that I could just find a simple, no-fuss, effective approach. I don't want to spend the rest of my life having so much of my thinking consumed with food, diet, weight loss, etc. I'm tired of it and wish that I didn't have to think about it much anymore.

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement. :grouphug:

I could do this for a while, but I know that just 1-2 cups of fruit/berries per week, would lead to my failure on any plan. I love fruit. I'm willing to forego some fruit (bananas, etc.), but if someone tells me to have barely any fruit, if at all, I know that at some point, I will eventually crack.

Good for you on the weight loss! :D

I hope and pray that your cancer will be soon gone. :grouphug:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all that. I'm looking at the books you suggested and will take a look at the sites also.

I'm not sure that I can do Paleo/Primal, and not sure if I can handle that commitment at this point in my life.

* Hard to get much of the foods here. Very hard. Nothing organic, etc.

* As I mentioned above, I'm at a point in my life where I really dislike cooking. The more time I spend in the kitchen, the more I want to eat. I have found that when I seldom cook, I eat less.

* I can handle some of Gary Taubes - make liver, for example; or eggs and bacon, etc. - but to go all out and cook almost all my meals (particularly when I know that I'll have to likely cook separate stuff for my extremely picky family), I don't know if I can do that. :confused:

You've gotten me thinking now. I've tried the NoS once or twice. Never for very long, however. It didn't work for me at all. I guess I need more structure. I would really, really love it if it worked for me. I want to make it work. So much easier and simpler than other approaches. My problem is portion sizes at meals. I guess I'll have to figure that out for myself. This is something I'd love.

134826582563914916_zl7G3NdZ_f.jpg

Now I'm confused and overwhelmed - try Gary Taubes/Atkins approach or NoS? :confused: I do want something for life. Something that doesn't require much fuss and bother. I'm tired of all that.

Thanks again everyone. If you have more to share, please do. I love and really appreciate your posts.

I like this, remember everyone is different, so for those that have success on one may not have it on another.

Since you are asking about NoS, please let me add my 2(+) cents. I've lost 50 pounds (and counting!) by following NoS for the last 3+ years. I agree that you should thoroughly explore the website plus the boards (including the testimonials--I've written one each year for the last three years, same user name as here) for an encouraging examination of how well NoS works for so many different diet issues.

But the MAIN benefit of NoS is to provide both structure AND flexibility. The actual "rules" are simple: no sweets, no snacks, no seconds. These are OLD rules that used to govern most cultures' eating habits back in the days when most people were a healthy weight. They definitely work long term.

Now, you state that NoS didn't work for you. That leaves two possibilities: one: you need to give the rules more time, working through the difficulties that pop up in your life that prevent you from following such commonsense eating habits, or two: you need to slightly tweak the rules to match your needs all the while aiming for the same MAIN goal: structure and flexibility.

The great thing about NoS is that the habits get easier and easier to live with, not harder and harder.

Now, you also asked about portion control. Here are some simple basic guidelines that have worked well for me with the NoS approach:

1: Main meal: 1/4 protein, 1/4 grain/starch, 1/2 veggies/salad/fruit (heavy on veggies/salad). One beautiful, balanced plate of food because there are no seconds. And fix food (non-sweet) that you really enjoy. This is key!!!! And remember, this is a guideline--don't sweat if every meal doesn't match this.

2. Lunch-type meal: same proportions, just a smaller plate (there used to be something called a "luncheon" plate!). This might take the form of soup or salad or leftovers--or it might look like a mini-dinner. Don't overthink this!

3. Breakfast: protein/veg or fruit/whole grain--according to appetite and ability.

Couple of tips:

1. Know that many modern cookbooks (at least in the US) offer LARGE portions. I can compare my Better Homes and Garden recipes (20+ years old) with online ones and in most cases, the modern recipes call for more: more meat, more oil, more sauces, and sometimes more veggies/starches/grains.

2. To make it easier for me to have a full 1/2 plate of veggies, I usually have two different veggies sides: the one I cook/prep for that meal plus the leftovers from a previous meal. Yes, I intentionally cook extra veggies/prep salad so I can have some for another meal (and I'm usually the only one who eats them--but it is no extra work for me).

3. If you need inspiration re: recipes, I like a lot of the recipes found on EatingWell's site, but be forewarned, the baking recipes (like muffins) still call for way too much sugar. Those recipes usually reduce fat and eggs and add wholegrain flour/fruits, but only minimally reduce sugar. So skip those or reduce sugar by 1/3-1/2.

I think Taubes should be credited with popularizing the idea that all Calories are not created equal, and some people really do have serious issues with carbs/weight, but I think he overstates his case. And when people won't follow portion control on *his* suggested foods, they'll experience weight/health issues as well. Especially when Big Business starts marketing "health" food junk food based on coconut flour/almond flour/etc.

Lastly, NoS is all about good eating habits; Taubes suggests specific food choices. *Some* people do combine both....but if you do, I would make NoS the "main" thing to follow and let Taubes/Atkins inform you about what to put on your plate.

HTH,

Just wanted to say that I can totally sympathize with you. Last year, I did the NoS diet. It worked pretty well for me, I lost a pound a week for the first few weeks and then kind of stalled out. I wasn't exercising any. Then Christmas came around and I quit the NoS diet. 4 weeks ago I started back on the NoS diet and also exercised with Leslie Sansone. The first two weeks I did the Walk At Home on youtube. Then for the last two weeks I bought a DVD of the Walk Slim 4 mile walk (a 1 hour routine). I exercise 4-5 times a week with it. But I have NOT LOST 1 SINGLE POUND! I am so frustrated. So I have been considering a more extreme diet approach. The Atkins has crossed my mind because my mom has done it off and on for years.

I like No S because it feels like something I can live with forever. All those no carb, no sweet diets would not work for me long-term and I know it. However, it is quite annoying to be exercising for 4 weeks with NoS diet and lose nothing!

I just wanted to say I feel your pain. :grouphug:

When I got past that, I felt great and my appetite was under control. I could get in the kitchen with my dd and back cupcakes and totally be uninterested in eating any.

:iagree:

I lost weight last year on low-carb. I will go back to it to finish losing my weight because of what I have quoted above. When I'm eating low-carb, and get past the first 5 days, it is VERY freeing. My cravings disappear and I am not obsessed with food at all.

I'm having a hard time getting back on track. I would be interested in a buddy or group to hold me accountable, especially getting past the first week.:D

Negin, You might also want to look at the 17 day diet. (it's really longer than 17 days, but the first phase is 17 days then you alternate between lower / higher calorie days.) it's basically atkins with fruit (low sugar) twice a day and yogurt and green tea. For digestive purposes, I try to space my fruit out at least 3 hours between proteins as Suzanne Somers recommends. On this diet, you can loose 10-15 pounds in 17 days. My daughter has put her patients on this diet with fantastic results. It is a lifestyle diet.

Thank you again, everyone. I love your helpful replies. :)

If I had someone to do the cooking for me, I think I could live on this diet permanently.

Donna, the book looks good, but at this point in my life, I really can't commit all that time and energy to food prep and cooking. Thank you anyway. Adding it to my wish list for sometime in the future.

Negin, you asked if I will continue with Atkins for weight control. The answer is yes, I think so.

Good to know. Thank you for getting back to me on this. The fact that you would continue with it is an encouraging sign. :)

Thanks for your other helpful info also.

It's hard to know that "healthy" weight level is good enough and "thinner" is not necessarily better for me.

:grouphug:

82401868151582942_zs2jN33x_f.jpg

At this point in my life, I don't have a lot of weight to lose - 10 pounds or less - would be nice. But otherwise, not killing myself over it. It's the keeping it off that's the hard part. I've lost over 20 pounds since January. Maintenance is the challenge. Always has been. :glare:

Of Course!! It is so simple and easy, especially for those who don't wnjoy cooking, then this is a great diet. Have fun with it, enjoy your food, don't shove it down your throat

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make it sound clear and helpful. I hope this helps you!!

ADD: Try also not to think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change, if you think of it as a diet, then it will become a boring old diet...

Your post was very helpful and no, you never need to apologize for long posts. I'm the queen of long posts, trust me. :D

I may very well give the NoS another go. Simple is what I need at this point in my life. But I also want effective, so if I do go this route, obviously, I hope it works. I went on the site before and read everything. I may try again. :)

Not much time to read (in depth) and reply to the other posts, but hope to later today or so.

Really do appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you!

Since you are asking about NoS, please let me add my 2(+) cents. I've lost 50 pounds (and counting!) by following NoS for the last 3+ years. I agree that you should thoroughly explore the website plus the boards (including the testimonials--I've written one each year for the last three years, same user name as here) for an encouraging examination of how well NoS works for so many different diet issues.

But the MAIN benefit of NoS is to provide both structure AND flexibility. The actual "rules" are simple: no sweets, no snacks, no seconds. These are OLD rules that used to govern most cultures' eating habits back in the days when most people were a healthy weight. They definitely work long term.

Now, you state that NoS didn't work for you. That leaves two possibilities: one: you need to give the rules more time, working through the difficulties that pop up in your life that prevent you from following such commonsense eating habits, or two: you need to slightly tweak the rules to match your needs all the while aiming for the same MAIN goal: structure and flexibility.

The great thing about NoS is that the habits get easier and easier to live with, not harder and harder.

Now, you also asked about portion control. Here are some simple basic guidelines that have worked well for me with the NoS approach:

1: Main meal: 1/4 protein, 1/4 grain/starch, 1/2 veggies/salad/fruit (heavy on veggies/salad). One beautiful, balanced plate of food because there are no seconds. And fix food (non-sweet) that you really enjoy. This is key!!!! And remember, this is a guideline--don't sweat if every meal doesn't match this.

2. Lunch-type meal: same proportions, just a smaller plate (there used to be something called a "luncheon" plate!). This might take the form of soup or salad or leftovers--or it might look like a mini-dinner. Don't overthink this!

3. Breakfast: protein/veg or fruit/whole grain--according to appetite and ability.

Couple of tips:

1. Know that many modern cookbooks (at least in the US) offer LARGE portions. I can compare my Better Homes and Garden recipes (20+ years old) with online ones and in most cases, the modern recipes call for more: more meat, more oil, more sauces, and sometimes more veggies/starches/grains.

2. To make it easier for me to have a full 1/2 plate of veggies, I usually have two different veggies sides: the one I cook/prep for that meal plus the leftovers from a previous meal. Yes, I intentionally cook extra veggies/prep salad so I can have some for another meal (and I'm usually the only one who eats them--but it is no extra work for me).

3. If you need inspiration re: recipes, I like a lot of the recipes found on EatingWell's site, but be forewarned, the baking recipes (like muffins) still call for way too much sugar. Those recipes usually reduce fat and eggs and add wholegrain flour/fruits, but only minimally reduce sugar. So skip those or reduce sugar by 1/3-1/2.

I think Taubes should be credited with popularizing the idea that all Calories are not created equal, and some people really do have serious issues with carbs/weight, but I think he overstates his case. And when people won't follow portion control on *his* suggested foods, they'll experience weight/health issues as well. Especially when Big Business starts marketing "health" food junk food based on coconut flour/almond flour/etc.

Lastly, NoS is all about good eating habits; Taubes suggests specific food choices. *Some* people do combine both....but if you do, I would make NoS the "main" thing to follow and let Taubes/Atkins inform you about what to put on your plate.

HTH,

Is there a link for NoS?

I have done really well on low carb in the past. I'm trying really hard to get on paleo/primal (marksdailyapple.com) but sometimes, when things get tight, we have to make concessions, and I end up eating bread or rice or potatoes. I BELIEVE in my gut that cutting out the starches is the way to go. I have got to get over the hurdle of the week that it takes to get past the cravings.

My advice is to look not only at the weight loss period you'll follow to lose weight, but what you can expect to eat regularly once you lose the weight and maintain after you lose.

I've watched my carb intake since 2000, so about 12 years now, and think it's actually a very easy way to eat habitually. There is a lot of flexibility and if you do not have cravings triggered, you can even have some starchier selections (smaller portion sizes than usually recommended) and/or the occasional piece of cake or other sweets, as treats, like on a birthday or holiday.

I've been through two pregnancies eating this way (while pregnant I ate around 150g of carbohydrate daily), lost weight back to pre-pregnancy weight both times, and all of my health risk markers are, as my doctor says, "beautiful" - I feel great too!

Whatever plan you follow, read it through to the end, so you know what you're getting into. A lot of people *think* they know what Atkins says, but don't follow it once they get started and stay stuck at very low intake of carbohydrate. Atkins does allow for small amounts of things I see so many claim aren't allowed - things like rice, a slice of bread, potatoes, winter squash - they're all doable if you stay within your carbohydrate level and where you are for weight loss or maintainenance.

The thing is, once you reach your weight goals, you moderate your starchier portions. Instead of a huge portion of potatoes, you might have a 1/3 cup portion instead to stay within your carbohydrate target; instead of a sandwich on two slices of big, thick bread, you may go with a half sandwich, with more meat, on one slice of thin bread. Now, not everyone can tolerate these things - for some it'll trigger cravings, for some it'll stimulate too much insulin, and in some it'll elevate blood sugars higher than desired. But, these things are allowed if you can tolerate them and you do not gain weight back eating them!

I myself totally avoid what many call the "frankenfoods" - I don't do low-carb bars, shakes or other mimic foods; instead I will either come up with something on my own (you can make yourself some incredible, whole food protein bars with nuts/seeds, nut butters and some fruits) or make a "mock" that's using whole ingredients. Like last night, we wanted burgers and I really wanted buns, but didn't have any in the house and also didn't want to go buy them and really didn't need to eat a bun...so I made what's called "oopsie rolls" from eggs and cream cheese. They're perfect as buns of burgers and don't have any appreciable carbs, but are rich with protein!

Is there a link for NoS?

I have done really well on low carb in the past. I'm trying really hard to get on paleo/primal (marksdailyapple.com) but sometimes, when things get tight, we have to make concessions, and I end up eating bread or rice or potatoes. I BELIEVE in my gut that cutting out the starches is the way to go. I have got to get over the hurdle of the week that it takes to get past the cravings.

NoS Main Page: http://www.nosdiet.com/

NoS General Discussion Board: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

NoS Testimonial Board: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=13

Hth,

I've lost 50 pounds (and counting!) by following NoS for the last 3+ years.

Wow! Great job! :D

I like this and it's what appeals to me.

Since I don't have a tremendous amount to lose and my main goal now is to lose a bit more, but most importantly, maintenance, I would love to do something that has structure, flexibility, and is practical.

In an ideal world, I would really love to spend hours cooking up healthy meals every day and following low-carb to a perfect t, but at this point in my life, I just can't do that.

Thank you so much for your very helpful guidelines. :)

And when people won't follow portion control on *his* suggested foods, they'll experience weight/health issues as well.

Yes, this has been my thought also.

This is what I would really love to do - to be able to hopefully combine both approaches - NoS and Taubes.

I exercise 4-5 times a week with it. But I have NOT LOST 1 SINGLE POUND! I am so frustrated.

:grouphug: and thank you for your sweet and kind words.

The older I get, the less I see results from exercise. I no longer lose from exercise. I used to be able to. Exercise makes me feel great, healthy, and look toned, but as far as actual pounds and weight loss go, it does nothing. If you've read Gary Taubes's book, and I highly recommend it, you'll see why. I also have lots of links about this. Exercise is great for health purposes, but when it comes to weight loss, it often makes me hungrier (not necessarily immediately, but over the long-term), particularly when intense and/or when done for longer than 45 minutes.

So I have been considering a more extreme diet approach. The Atkins has crossed my mind because my mom has done it off and on for years.

I have found that when I have a significant amount to lose, I need the more extreme approaches. I get discouraged when I lose nothing or very little. I like a big jump-start, and then something more moderate once I get to my goal or close to it.

I like No S because it feels like something I can live with forever. All those no carb, no sweet diets would not work for me long-term and I know it.

Exactly. I can't really see myself eating very low carb and no sweets forever. I think I could handle a combination of NoS/low-carb (not no-carb, but low-carb) over the long-term. I hope I can ;). That way, I could have some carbs on the weekend, for example, or for special occasions.

Negin, You might also want to look at the 17 day diet. (it's really longer than 17 days

I keep coming across this and have often considered it. I'll read up on this also. Thank you. :)

I've watched my carb intake since 2000, so about 12 years now, and think it's actually a very easy way to eat habitually. There is a lot of flexibility and if you do not have cravings triggered, you can even have some starchier selections (smaller portion sizes than usually recommended) and/or the occasional piece of cake or other sweets, as treats, like on a birthday or holiday.

Great job! This is encouraging. I would love to be able to do this.

Whatever plan you follow, read it through to the end, so you know what you're getting into. A lot of people *think* they know what Atkins says, but don't follow it once they get started and stay stuck at very low intake of carbohydrate.

Yes. Thank you for that reminder. I usually am quite vigilant about research and reading. Good reminder. :)

The thing is, once you reach your weight goals, you moderate your starchier portions. Instead of a huge portion of potatoes, you might have a 1/3 cup portion instead to stay within your carbohydrate target; instead of a sandwich on two slices of big, thick bread, you may go with a half sandwich, with more meat, on one slice of thin bread. Now, not everyone can tolerate these things - for some it'll trigger cravings, for some it'll stimulate too much insulin, and in some it'll elevate blood sugars higher than desired.

I hope I can do this. I hope I'll be one of those who can handle small portions of carbs. And yes, it is so much about portion size.

I myself totally avoid what many call the "frankenfoods" - I don't do low-carb bars, shakes or other mimic foods

I cannot stand that sort of thing.

Mind you, I also don't particularly love complicated cooking/cooking that takes too much time.

Thanks again everyone. Love your helpful replies. :D

Well, I've had great success with LC. I'm familiar with Gary Taubes. I didn't read his book, but several of his articles. I've followed Atkins and Barry Groves.

I have a hard time staying strict with it though. I absolutely prefer LC foods, but I can't seem to get my family on board and so I end up cooking separate meals. That requires more planning and more money. I just get tired of that after awhile.

I also enjoy variety and the variety is much smaller with LC. I can come up with substitutions for my favorite higher carb foods, but it always requires a lot of extra time to cook/prepare and special expensive foods. And it's hard to make a small amount (since nobody else will eat it).

Then it's nearly impossible to eat out (I don't want to buy food and have to scrape stuff off or throw half of it out). Then there is going to parties. There is almost never a single thing I can eat. If there is it is usually raw veggies (with a dip I have to avoid). So I often bring my own food (which again requires more planning and more money).

It's just hard to live in a high carb low fat world when one is on a low carb high fat plan.

I think I do need to get back on track though because I do feel better on it (the most important aspect to me) and I still do need to lose some weight.

Edited to add, I still absolutely avoid sugar. I don't eat sweets (not even fruit).

I could have written every word of this. LC is the only thing that keeps my weight down, and it's extremely difficult to implement in a society where time is short and carbs are cheap and convenient.

I, too, find the simplicity of NoS appealing, and I even tried it for a year, with no effect. Unfortunately, simplicity and sensible-ness are not the same as weight loss (at least in my case).

I have been successful on Atkins for almost two years. I lost 35 lbs. and have kept it off. I try to exercise at least three days a week, which also helps. I have found that variety is the key to sticking with an eating plan. I try not to get stuck in a rut by eating the same things again and again. And I don't cheat...period. That is also the key for me. If I go out to eat, then I can have steak and veggies, grilled chicken or fish, salads, etc. If I'm going to a party, then I just fix low carb food and take it. Now that I've kicked the sugar and bad carb addiction, I'm not going to do anything to bring it back. I can eat fabulous desserts that are low carb...seriously! Also, I eat great main dishes, appetizers, and snacks! I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/500-Low-Carb-Recipes-Snacks-Dessert/dp/1931412065

Also, the Atkins site has great recipes: http://www.atkins.com/Recipes.aspx

This site also has really good low carb recipes:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

I rarely feel deprived. The only foods I don't eat are sugary sweets, things made with white flour, starchy foods, and processed junk. I get to eat "breads" and desserts made with almond flour, coconut flour, ground flax seed, etc. I manage a Low Carb group on Facebook. PM me if you're on FB and are interested in joining.

I'm currently taking hcg for weight loss but I've been working on a plan for maintenance for a while. I know that my body works better on LC, so that will be my primary focus.

I'm also looking into doing the PEAK 8 exercise routine 2 or 3 times per week (ala Mercola) to help raise my HGH (human growth hormone) production - I really think this is key overall for keeping my body/hormone systems in good functioning order.

I also remember a friend telling me about a diet plan from Curves which has an interesting take on maintenance - very similar, actually, to the hcg Phase 3/4. There are two diet options - carb sensitive and calorie sensitive but they are both more or less LC diets. Essentially, when you have gotten to your goal weight, you start eating normally with at least 2500-3000 calories (depending on what foods seem to be most healthy for you, although I think in the book they don't suggest eliminating any particular food group).

As soon as you have gained 3-5lbs from your goal weight (which they say WILL happen quickly) you go back to your LC diet until you get back to your goal weight (which should be about 3 days). Then, up your calories/go back to the non-restricted diet until you gain 3-5lbs again - this time it should've taken a little longer to gain the weight back. Then go back to the LC diet (phase 1 they call it) for 3 days to lose the weight again.

Basically, you cycle through this until your metabolism is raised and can handle 2500-3000 calories per day "most of the time". It says that you will probably always need to go back to that 3 day LC "diet" phase once a month, but most people are willing to do 3 or so days of dieting per month if it means the rest of the time you can eat normally. I'm assuming that there is a continuation of exercise throughout.

Anyway, I've found the Curves book on google books and will look it over a little more - it's called Curves: permanent results without permanent dieting by Gary Heavin.

Edited by Susan in TN

I have been successful on Atkins for almost two years. I lost 35 lbs. and have kept it off. I try to exercise at least three days a week, which also helps. I have found that variety is the key to sticking with an eating plan. I try not to get stuck in a rut by eating the same things again and again. And I don't cheat...period. That is also the key for me. If I go out to eat, then I can have steak and veggies, grilled chicken or fish, salads, etc. If I'm going to a party, then I just fix low carb food and take it. Now that I've kicked the sugar and bad carb addiction, I'm not going to do anything to bring it back. I can eat fabulous desserts that are low carb...seriously! Also, I eat great main dishes, appetizers, and snacks! I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/500-Low-Carb-Recipes-Snacks-Dessert/dp/1931412065

Also, the Atkins site has great recipes: http://www.atkins.com/Recipes.aspx

This site also has really good low carb recipes:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

I rarely feel deprived. The only foods I don't eat are sugary sweets, things made with white flour, starchy foods, and processed junk. I get to eat "breads" and desserts made with almond flour, coconut flour, ground flax seed, etc. I manage a Low Carb group on Facebook. PM me if you're on FB and are interested in joining.

All great suggestions, FreeIndeed. :)

I have a hard time staying strict with it though.

Wendy, thank you. All that you mentioned are my concerns also.

* Staying strict with it over the long-term - the very idea worries me :glare:

* Cooking separate meals. I hate cooking as it is. Never mind, anything extra.

* Eating out, particularly in this part of the world.

* And here, it would be a bit rude and weird to take my own food to an event.

I could see myself doing it for a short while, but after some time, I really don't think I could do it permanently.

extremely difficult to implement in a society where time is short and carbs are cheap and convenient.

I, too, find the simplicity of NoS appealing, and I even tried it for a year, with no effect. Unfortunately, simplicity and sensible-ness are not the same as weight loss (at least in my case).

Amy, yep. This, I think, may very well be the case for me also. I think that as I get older, I keep needing to eliminate more and more things, to be more strict. When I was in my teens and 20s, I could eat pretty much what I wanted and workout. Then my 30s hit, and the sort of NoS approach worked. Eat less and still workout. Now, in my 40s, I have to eat much, much less. By the time I hit my 50s and 60s and up, I may very likely have to resort to 3 jars of baby food a day. :001_huh: :lol:

I have been successful on Atkins for almost two years. I lost 35 lbs. and have kept it off.

This is encouraging to hear. Good for you! :D I love success stories.

I don't cheat...period. That is also the key for me. If I go out to eat, then I can have steak and veggies, grilled chicken or fish, salads, etc. If I'm going to a party, then I just fix low carb food and take it.

Not cheating over the long-term - I wish I had that discipline. I definitely don't. I can avoid cheating for several weeks, or a few months, but not long-term, not permanently.

Eating out here - few places, other than the very expensive ones cater to this sort of diet.

And again, taking my own food would be a bit rude here and awkward.

Thank you for the links to those books. I've been considering the exact same ones. I keep going back and forth on them. I even placed an order for both of them a few days ago and then canceled. I can't decide. On the one hand, I am convinced that it could work. On the other, I loathe cooking ... Decisions, decisions ... :confused:

I get to eat "breads" and desserts made with almond flour, coconut flour, ground flax seed, etc.

Those are hard to come by in this part of the world. I avoid flax, but the others are definitely hard to find and far more costly. Sometimes I see them here on the shelves, and most times I don't.

I'm currently taking hcg for weight loss but I've been working on a plan for maintenance for a while. I know that my body works better on LC, so that will be my primary focus.

As soon as you have gained 3-5lbs from your goal weight (which they say WILL happen quickly) you go back to your LC diet until you get back to your goal weight (which should be about 3 days). Then, up your calories/go back to the non-restricted diet until you gain 3-5lbs again - this time it should've taken a little longer to gain the weight back. Then go back to the LC diet (phase 1 they call it) for 3 days to lose the weight again.

Susan, this sounds interesting and very similar to Steak Days on hcg. I've had success with hcg, but have never (due to life circumstances) been able to successfully implement P3 and P4. Thank you. Maybe I just need to weigh myself daily, eat as low-carb as is practically possible and appealing, and do Steak Days as needed.

I apologize greatly if I sound like I'm whining and complaining. I am often quite guilty of that. :glare:

I'm only trying to process and make a decision with this thread. I appreciate everyone's kind responses and patience.

Not sure about the exact long-term/maintenance approach to take.

Thank you. :grouphug:

this is not a "one size fits all" plan. Every person, in the final phase, has to figure out his or her own carb tolerance level. Most people, on a healthy low carb diet, can eat fruit just fine.

I read Taubes and found it very interesting. Following his basic plan, I was shocked at how quickly and painlessly I lost the ten pounds I needed to lose. And I had at least one cup of berries every single day. Basically, I ate all the vegetables I wanted (ok, more than I wanted), meat, whole fat dairy, berries, whey protein, eggs and limited nuts. I took off 10 pounds in 2 weeks and was not miserable at al, though I did have to deal with cravings. I did not drink wine, even though it is relatively low in carbs. This does not have to be hard. Basically my whole family ate more vegetables and meat. I still cooked pasta, potatoes, etc for them. I just didn't eat it and didn't find that particularly difficult.

I do best on 4 meals a day, each having protein. But if I want to eat extra - fine. I eat cut up vegetables when I want a munchie.

this is not a "one size fits all" plan. Every person, in the final phase, has to figure out his or her own carb tolerance level. Most people, on a healthy low carb diet, can eat fruit just fine.

I read Taubes and found it very interesting. Following his basic plan, I was shocked at how quickly and painlessly I lost the ten pounds I needed to lose. And I had at least one cup of berries every single day. Basically, I ate all the vegetables I wanted (ok, more than I wanted), meat, whole fat dairy, berries, whey protein, eggs and limited nuts. I took off 10 pounds in 2 weeks and was not miserable at al, though I did have to deal with cravings. I did not drink wine, even though it is relatively low in carbs. This does not have to be hard. Basically my whole family ate more vegetables and meat. I still cooked pasta, potatoes, etc for them. I just didn't eat it and didn't find that particularly difficult.

I do best on 4 meals a day, each having protein. But if I want to eat extra - fine. I eat cut up vegetables when I want a munchie.

The bolded is an important point. You're right, people often forget that Atkins only recommends extremely low-carb eating for two weeks. After that, you are supposed to find your own tolerance--how much you personally can tolerate and still lose.

Your post is a very helpful one. Yes, I am now convinced that I should read Atkins. As someone who's had success with hcg, mainly because I read and read and read about it, I realize the importance of actually reading up on a plan thoroughly before embarking on it. So thank you for this reminder. :) I'm going to order the Atkins book and probably the Low Carb Recipe one that freeindeed linked.

I read Taubes and found it very interesting. Following his basic plan, I was shocked at how quickly and painlessly I lost the ten pounds I needed to lose. And I had at least one cup of berries every single day. Basically, I ate all the vegetables I wanted (ok, more than I wanted), meat, whole fat dairy, berries, whey protein, eggs and limited nuts. I took off 10 pounds in 2 weeks and was not miserable at al, though I did have to deal with cravings. This does not have to be hard. Basically my whole family ate more vegetables and meat. I still cooked pasta, potatoes, etc for them. I just didn't eat it and didn't find that particularly difficult.

Until the Akins book arrives, which always takes a while in this part of the world, I think I'll try Gary Taubes's plan from his book and a Reader's Digest article (on his site). This is so encouraging to hear. I don't have a huge amount to lose. I love hearing how it doesn't have to be complicated or difficult. :D

people often forget that Atkins only recommends extremely low-carb eating for two weeks. After that, you are supposed to find your own tolerance--how much you personally can tolerate and still lose.

Yes, thank you for this reminder. I definitely need to read the book.

I haven't read Taubes' book yet (I have it on hold at the library. :)), but

I have also found that this mid-40's stage in life makes it much harder for me to lose weight and easier to gain.

I have found some helpful info and encouragement in Suzanne Somers recent book. I don't go for HRT, but much of what she says makes sense. I have "Somersized" in the past and it works for me. I don't pay too much attention to the food separation part - e.g. I have butter on my toast when I have it.

When I was younger I could have more carb meals and more "cheats". I do have fruit and whole grain carbs in moderation and usually have the fruit by itself as a snack.

I too find, as others have posted, that if I cheat, I vivify my cravings and have to fight them all over again. I can "cheat" with a bit of dark chocolate (several x/week!) or a glass of red wine every once in a while (1x a month), but starchy carbs are disaster for me. I have no resistance!

The low sugar/low carb way of living has greatly helped my bloodwork numbers too. Brought down my trigycerides and LDL.

Hope you find what works for you soon! Let us know what you discover!

Negin, just a few thoughts as I have read through the posts. First, some of my weight history: skinny my whole life with one of "those" metabolisms. During college, I would buy those 3/4 pound Hershey with almonds bars and eat the whole thing in one setting...just because...and I was so skinny. When my dh met me in graduate school, he thought I was anorexic because I was so thin.

Now that he knows me, we both laugh because I love to eat. Love it. If I like the taste of something, I will keep eating even if I am full...which was fine 15 years ago..

Fast forward to age 38 and two pregnancies later, I had 25 lbs that I could not shake. So I started running. Ran about 18-20 miles a week. Dropped 10 lbs. right away. Then everything just stopped. No matter what I ate or didn't eat, how much I ran or didn't run. Nothing. This went on for about 5 more years. But I just kept running.

A little over a year ago, I got ahold of Taubes book and it was the beginning of what has now become a new lifestyle. Totally resonated with me and exactly what I was seeing in my own life. The part on exercising and the section on metabolic resistance were particularly helpful.

So I stopped running (which by now was becoming painful to my neck and sciatica) and started walking. I have changed my whole mindset about cardio exercise being for heart health, etc..rather than for weightless exclusively.

I also started eating low carb, high protein and lost another 10 pounds. Then stalled again. For the past 5 months, I have been hovering here, unable to lose the the last 5 pounds to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

I had given up getting there since it seemed that even low carb and no sugar (i do use xylitol and erythritol regularly) were helping me to only maintain, not lose.

Then by accident, i got ahold of a book called Strong Women Stay Strong about using weights to keep muscle mass as you age and it got me thinking. So i started researching and bought the book The 12-Second Sequence by Jorge Cruise (the Belly Fat Cure guy). Since I have started adding in weights, the weight is coming off. There is a lot of research out there that confirms you have to be building muscle to keep your fat burning operations working. And I have my own anectodal research :).

So, all of that was to say, for women our age (I am now 48 and i kind of remember that you are over 40?), I believe you will have to add in weight bearing exercise into your life if you want to be able to keep fat off. The 12-Second Sequence is great because you only do the workout twice a week and it takes me all of 15 mins. It does make use of a weight training machine which we were able to find used. But he also has alternate exercises if you don't have access to a machine. You will need some hand weights and an exercise ball, though. But I do strongly encourage you to try and incorporate some into your life..I honestly do not believe we can lose weight without it. Not at this age.

Also, I do use the 1000 Low Carb Recipes book and a couple of other recipe books (one uses a lot of xylitol, erythritol, whey protein powder and cauliflower). Plus, I made up a recipe for Peanut Butter "Cookies" that I love and it totally takes care of me sweet tooth. I will share it if you like.

Hope this is helpful. (I am writing on my iPad and don't catch the autocorrects always so I apologize in advance!)

Another resource that I've found very interesting is Dr. Mercola's Nutritional Typing. He says that there are definite Carb Types, Protein Types, and Mixed Types. I'm certain that I'm a Protein Type, as I feel better and lose weight when I eat this way. But he does say that if you try to eat the low carb/high protein/fat diet of a Protein Type if you are really a Carb Type and vice versa, it can cause all kinds of health problems.

If you register on his website you can take the Nutritional Typing test free, although most of the questions ask things like what kinds of foods you prefer and how you feel after eating certain foods (steak & potatoes vs. salad and fish), how much energy you have, do you need snacks/coffee, etc...so if you've been paying attention, then it'll be more helpful :). (I honestly can't imagine prefering a salad and fish over a steak, so that's how I answered. I'm sure there are some people who are the opposite. ;) )

I have the Taubes book waiting for me at the library, and I'm very interested in reading it.

Edited by Susan in TN

I ordered the New Atkins book and the Low-Carb Recipe book. Also going to start reading as much as I can from the Atkins site until the books get here. At the end of this month, I'll start off with the Taubes diet plan (in his book & from a Reader's Digest article on his site) until the book gets here. Books take a while to get here. Thank you all so very much. :grouphug:

I have also found that this mid-40's stage in life makes it much harder for me to lose weight and easier to gain.

Yep. :glare:

Thanks for the Suzanne Somers book suggestion. May look into it later also.

I have changed my whole mindset about cardio exercise being for heart health, etc..rather than for weightless exclusively.

Debbie, thank you so much for your very helpful post.

Yes, I'm now at a point in my life where cardio is great for my overall health, heart health, etc. - but not so much for weight loss.

I also started eating low carb, high protein and lost another 10 pounds. Then stalled again.

Did you eat high fat or just high protein? I know that they're closely related. Just wondering. Did you eat the Taubes/Atkins style? I guess that after a while on most plans, we often tend to stall. At least for me anyway.

Then by accident, i got ahold of a book called Strong Women Stay Strong about using weights to keep muscle mass as you age and it got me thinking. So i started researching and bought the book The 12-Second Sequence by Jorge Cruise (the Belly Fat Cure guy). Since I have started adding in weights, the weight is coming off.

Yes, I think they have the Strong Women Stay Strong book here. Finding books here is a small miracle ;). I've heard of it. I have lots of weights DVDs and look forward to working out more regularly and consistently again. I like the idea of a short sequence. I do have weights and an exercise ball.

one uses a lot of xylitol, erythritol, whey protein powder and cauliflower).

This is what concerns me a bit. I don't particularly care to use xylitol, erythritol, and other stuff I can barely pronounce. I'm very skeptical about the long-term effects of such stuff in my body. :001_huh: and I don't think I can even find such things here. Definitely can't get whey protein here.

I'd rather a healthier/more natural approach. I also disagree with nitrate-rich stuff - bacon, hot dogs, etc. that Taubes promotes. I will use grass-fed local liver, eggs, etc. And as much as I love bacon, I won't eat it too often. I can't get my mind off the fact that such stuff could be cancer-causing, etc.

Another resource that I've found very interesting is Dr. Mercola's Nutritional Typing. He says that there are definite Carb Types, Protein Types, and Mixed Types.

Susan, this looks interesting. Thank you for sharing. :)

Quick question: if one registers, does one get a ton of annoying emails? I'm so tired and fed up of another site that sends me endless emails and will not stop however much I tell them. :glare:

I have mixed feelings about Mercola. Like with most, I agree with some of his stuff, but not with all.

Susan, this looks interesting. Thank you for sharing. :)

Quick question: if one registers, does one get a ton of annoying emails? I'm so tired and fed up of another site that sends me endless emails and will not stop however much I tell them. :glare:

I have mixed feelings about Mercola. Like with most, I agree with some of his stuff, but not with all.

Yes - There are so many ideas to weigh! I do get a daily email thing from the website but I'm pretty sure you just have to check (or uncheck?) the email box.

Did you eat high fat or just high protein? I know that they're closely related. Just wondering. Did you eat the Taubes/Atkins style?

I eat high protein, average fat. I scramble my eggs in coconut oil, will use real mayonnaise to make deviled eggs, chicken salad, my favorite cauliflower dish. I use real butter to make a (very occasional) grilled sandwich, etc... I don't worry much about those kinds of fats; what I don't eat are processed foods. I make from scratch most everything we eat, including grinding our flour (although I don't eat it). I think, for me anyhow, i assumed that cutting out carbs and hidden sugars freed me to consume what i was eating in unlimited quantities, regardless of the fat content. I do not count calories ever but I have learned that I can not just eat large portions just because there is no sugar or carbs.

Yes, I think they have the Strong Women Stay Strong book here. Finding books here is a small miracle ;). I've heard of it. I have lots of weights DVDs and look forward to working out more regularly and consistently again. I like the idea of a short sequence. I do have weights and an exercise ball.

The thing about weights is there is a cumulative effect, I think. I am going on week 12 of my weight routine and am just now beginning to see the weight move..and my shape as well. I can see my stomach getting flatter, upper arms getting toned. I fully expect to reach critical mass as I keep going.

This is what concerns me a bit. I don't particularly care to use xylitol, erythritol, and other stuff I can barely pronounce. I'm very skeptical about the long-term effects of such stuff in my body. :001_huh: and I don't think I can even find such things here. Definitely can't get whey protein here.

I'd rather a healthier/more natural approach. I also disagree with nitrate-rich stuff - bacon, hot dogs, etc. that Taubes promotes. I will use grass-fed local liver, eggs, etc. And as much as I love bacon, I won't eat it too often. I can't get my mind off the fact that such stuff could be cancer-causing, etc.

I totally agree about nitrates, etc.. We buy grass-fed organic beef, and eggs. I love xylitol as it is produced just like maple syrup from birch tree sap. They make it out of corn as well, but I buy only birch sugar. As a matter of fact, I never knew it was called xylitol for the longest time...I have always bought it as birch sugar! It has half the calories of sugar, can be used just like sugar, although it can have a gastrointestinal effect if you consume too much (has to do with it killing off bad bacteria in the gut). I kind of like this about it though because it helps me monitor my consumption :) Birch sugar also has some minerals and cavity fighting properties. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol and has a similar effect as birch sugar, although I believe it has no carb count. I use these products because I have a history of diabetes (developed gestational with my first pregnancy) so I have to be super careful of sugar.

I don't use any Splenda or aspartame products.

Are you able to get stuff from Amazon? I get my whey protein (Jay Robb sweetened with stevia) and some of my birch sugar products from there.

All that to say, I probably eat closer to Taubes; never done Atkins. Not sure if that clarified anything :).

I just realized I responded within your quote and I am on my iPad...no idea how to fix it! I don't even know how to bold my part..sorry.

I can only speak for myself but if I keep the carbs down, the weight stays balanced. I try to stay away from most anything with wheat in it, have some pure rye bread - 1 slice, no more per day.

The rest is veggies, protein and fruit. Very occasionally, some dark chocolate in the 75% or more category because I read it's an antioxidant. I hope they were not kidding. :D

I can only speak for myself but if I keep the carbs down, the weight stays balanced. I try to stay away from most anything with wheat in it, have some pure rye bread - 1 slice, no more per day.

The rest is veggies, protein and fruit. Very occasionally, some dark chocolate in the 75% or more category because I read it's an antioxidant. I hope they were not kidding. :D

Liz, thank you.

Yes, this is a nice and simple approach.

I can't wait to try the Taubes approach at the end of this month. I can't do it sooner due to various circumstances beyond my control.

Dark chocolate is great, but I have found that I seriously need to cut back on it somewhat. I love the stuff. Moderation does not seem to be a part of my vocabulary when it comes to the word "chocolate". :tongue_smilie:

A friend of mine just called this am about this very topic.

She is wanting to do more of the Primal Blueprint diet so we spent some time on Amazon together looking at the books. I think it could be doable although I cannot go all organic and I don't like pork and prefer to limit the beef, but otherwise it looks great.

I am going to possibly make the Thai Chicken coconut dish for this evening if I can get out to get the rest of the ingredients.

It looks like a lot of dutch oven (maybe even crock pot?) type cooking which is what I really want as I am sick of the kitchen, just sick of it.

If I get out today I may stop by a bookstore and pick the book up.

Dawn

Very occasionally, some dark chocolate in the 75% or more category because I read it's an antioxidant. I hope they were not kidding. :D

This reminded me of years ago when I was following an Atkins-type diet and had stopped losing weight for some reason. It was around the holidays and we were given a couple boxes of very high quality chocolates. I ate a small piece or 2 per day, and strangely enough, I started losing weight again. I wonder if it was the magnesium?

A friend of mine just called this am about this very topic.

She is wanting to do more of the Primal Blueprint diet so we spent some time on Amazon together looking at the books. I think it could be doable although I cannot go all organic and I don't like pork and prefer to limit the beef, but otherwise it looks great.

I am going to possibly make the Thai Chicken coconut dish for this evening if I can get out to get the rest of the ingredients.

It looks like a lot of dutch oven (maybe even crock pot?) type cooking which is what I really want as I am sick of the kitchen, just sick of it.

If I get out today I may stop by a bookstore and pick the book up.

Dawn

Dawn, you might want to look at "Well Fed Paleo" while at the library. Paleo is essentially the same as Primal, and WFP has a unique approach to keeping you at low time in the kitchen most days of the week (with a couple of prep hours one weekend day)

Sweetie Pie. :) Please do not take this the wrong way. :)

Here's the thing-- most of your posts have to do with weight , your weight, weight loss. Are you entirely sure you are not within normal range for your build?

There is *no* magic bullet. You might be more curvy than current society deems 'perfect'. (Most of us are.) Uness you are eating zillions of calories a day, and then sitting on your butt eating extra Cheetos, you are what you are, and that is OK!

Edited by LibraryLover

Sweetie Pie. :) Please do not take this the wrong way. :)

Here's the thing-- most of your posts have to do with weight , your weight, weight loss. Are you entirely sure you are not within normal range for your build?

There is *no* magic bullet. You might be more curvy than current society deems 'perfect'. (Most of us are.) Uness you are eating zillions of calories a day, and then sitting on your butt eating extra Cheetos, you are what you are, and that is OK!