Menu

So if you found a bunch of jars with lids what would YOU do with them?

I would go to amazon and purchase the plastic lids.

I have many glass canning jars of the 2 quart variety and they get used almost daily.

Right this moment, I have some filled with homemade chicken broth, some with beef broth, some with homemade sauerkraut, and I just made some jamaica drink in another couple of jars.

Edited by Snickerdoodle

How many? I would likely turn them into bug jars, and do some altered jars (I am going to be looking for used mason ars at thrift shops this summer to do these.

Of course you could get new rubber pieces and actually use them for canning, but that would be so predictable.

ETZ: I saw these were the kind with glass lids and clasp. I use those kind for small manip storage, like for our dragon tears, pony beads etc

Give one to each child and go on a nature hike. Each can fill his jar with his own "treasure" and bring it home to look at more closely. Catch fireflies or ladybugs, but cover the top with vented plastic wrap or cheesecloth. Take up canning. Fill one with flowers and put it on the kitchen table. Make one into a betta tank. Build your own ant farm. Wrap colored tissue paper around the outside and put a lighted candle inside it, or if you want less flammable, put a lighted glow stick in the empty jar. Make a mini-terrarium.

There're lots of things!

Use them as storage in the pantry.

This is what I would do with the ones with the clasp and gasket. The Mason jars with the screw-on lid and seal I also use for storage, but lots of other things as well. Actually, I admit I have more than a little fondness for good Mason jars. :tongue_smilie: I use them to drink from, from water to iced coffee to wine (It's the best drinking vessel ever if you spend a lot of time outdoors. They have lids!). They make great shaker cups for smoothies/drink powders. I use them to store leftovers. I use them to ferment kombucha. I could go on and on. :D I actually can, too, but that's not what I use Mason jars for most often.

I love Mason jars. Sweet find!

My mom made decorative lights with those jars and strings of Christmas lights.

I would fill them with chocolate chips, m&ms, lentils, popcorn, dried fruit, extra buttons, seeds, pins, bath salts, pens, nails, loose change, hair pins, rubber bands, razors, lego men, batteries, dice, or tea bags.

Just off the top of my head. We have one with bullet casings from dh's grandfather's funeral 21 gun salute.

Sometimes I hate the keyboard on my tablet. It is supposed to learn your personal "language" and auto correct based on that but it always turns out crazy.

Somedays jars with lids would be perfect to put the kids in. Alas, these are quart jars so that won't work!

:lol:

I would save them for science experiments. Because you never know what you might need...

Great ideas! I actually found these in the back of my closet while decluttering. I think I bought them about ten years ago to make cookie mix gifts. Another project forgotten!

I looked on ebay and they are pricey so I am tempted to sell them for curriculum money, but I also know I could put them to good use. I think I will start by cleaning them up and finding a place for them in the cabinet. I know I will use them for food storage because I can't stand plastic. I have been looking at new glass storage bowls, but I think I will like these better. I may do something fun with a few as well. I think I have a dozen.

You could send them to me :D I have a hundred uses for them!

In all seriousness, keep them. Ebay bites because of all the fees they are charging now...

We use them for food storage of leftovers, dried goods-especially opened packages of things, baking products, bathroom supplies, hardware supplies, candle holders, just about anything you can think of. Hubby takes the wide mouth ones with soup in them to work for lunch. Make mixes for yourself and store them away for when you need them. They are better for you than storebought.

Around here, those "older" canning jars go bwt $10-$15 per jar at flea markets or "antique" stores. So is you have quite a few and need the money then I'd sell them. I'd also keep a few for yourself. I have mine on the window sills filled with odds-n-ends for decoration - buttons, ribbons, pinecones,seashells, ocean glass - you name it.

Myra