Menu

Pyrador/Labrenese...what do you know of this cross breed

We are being given a puppy next weekend. It is a Great Pyranese/Yellow Lab mix. Currently 6 weeks old. I have read up on both breeds individually and both have traits we want, but I am wondering about the cross itself, if anyone here has one?

ALso as a new puppy owner what do we need to get to be ready for it?

Obviously food, leash, collar and toys.

As a heavy shedding dog I will need a brush.

But what else

Also at what age do I take it for it's shots? How old to be able to get it fixed? I need details to be sure we are properly prepared to be puppy owners.

I am used to cats, I love cats, but we do not have any right now. Cats are easy. I suspect a puppy will not be.

The puppies are cute.

They should be 8 weeks old before they come home. They need the time with their mother.

Take it to the vet within 72 hours. Vet will tell you about shot schedule.

Good idea to get a crate -- one with a panel so you can adjust the size. We have a Midwest Life Stages crate from Amazon (cheaper there than at Walmart for us).

Decide what you are going to feed it. If it differs from what it has been eating, change new food over slowly (7 to 10 days). http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

People differ on when they get their pups neutered. I know some large breed owners who wait until the dogs are 18 mos old -- has to do with joint and bone development, IIRC.

You can go here for lots of good info: http://www.dogforums.com/

The puppies are cute.

They should be 8 weeks old before they come home. They need the time with their mother.

Take it to the vet within 72 hours. Vet will tell you about shot schedule.

Good idea to get a crate -- one with a panel so you can adjust the size. We have a Midwest Life Stages crate from Amazon (cheaper there than at Walmart for us).

Decide what you are going to feed it. If it differs from what it has been eating, change new food over slowly (7 to 10 days). http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

People differ on when they get their pups neutered. I know some large breed owners who wait until the dogs are 18 mos old -- has to do with joint and bone development, IIRC.

You can go here for lots of good info: http://www.dogforums.com/

Thank you. The pups were born Jan 12/12, so it will be 7.5 weeks old when it comes to me, do you think those last few days will make a difference?

Thank you for the link to the dog forum, I will go check it out.

Good idea on the crate, I will post on kijiji and see what walmart and amazon have to offer. And book an appt with the vet for the week we get it, I didn't realize it would be so soon.

This is all a new adventure for us.

You might want some baby gates so that you can block part of your home from the puppy. Puppies chew, a LOT. Shoes, toys, pretty much anything. So you'll want to start working with your kids now about keeping shoes & beloved toys out of puppy's reach, and maybe gate off the hallway or bedroom area so that puppy is limited to main living areas and kids' toys are limited to bedrooms, at least for a while.

Get a few different good chew toys -- rawhide bones, a kong toy that you can fill with treats, a tug-of-war rope, etc. -- so that you can redirect the puppy when he starts chewing on inappropriate stuff. Try not to get angry with the puppy; it's the same concept as a baby putting things in his mouth. He doesn't know any better, he uses his mouth to explore his environment, it's a normal developmental stage. Plus the puppy is teething, so he will chew. Be prepared.

I'd also ask at your vet or dog store about puppy training classes, which are perfect for brand new dog owners. If this is your first dog, you'll enjoy your puppy a lot more if you have a decent training class to teach you how to teach your dog so that he listens/responds to you.

Enjoy him/her when the puppy comes home! A dog is a wonderful addition to a family, and if you do your homework (which it seems you are doing) you should all get along really well.

THanks for all the tips everyone. I will see if a gate can be put up blocking the entrance way. We do not have a closet for shoes and coats, it is just a shelf and hooks, so no way to hide our shoes, though I suppose we could keep them in the backroom if I rearrange some stuff until she learns not to chew everything.

A question about cross breeds, the momma is a pyr/yellow lab, the daddy is a yellow lab from a farm down the way. Do dogs take on more traits of the one they have more of in it? Like will this one have more lab traits? They do not know if the daddy is a pure because the owners of it got it at the spca, so know way to know for sure.

I will look into some training classes too. I did put a whole stack of cesar milan books and dvd's on hold from the library yesterday.

Off to do a search of puppy threads.

I have a kennel/crate lined up. The person we are getting the pup from has one that is no longer used, NOt a huge one but big enough for a pup until i find a bigger one.

I will look into the mitt and curry brush. She is definitely a fluffy pup and will need daily brushing if I do not want to grow a hair ball puppy in a week ;)

Our pups are a year old now, but there are a couple of things that we did that I am really happy about.

1 - baby gates. I gated the pups in the laundry room when I couldn't be right there with them. They could see out to the rest of the house and I only had to "pup-proof" the one room.

2 - I kept them on the leash ALL.THE.TIME when they weren't crated or in the laundry room (see #1). And I kept the leash attached to me or to DD10. This prevented most pup-related mishaps (chewing toys, shoes,etc). We still had a couple of disasters with laptop cords getting chewed, but far less destruction. And the pups learned good manners early. They were about 6 months old before they got "house privledges" and were allowed off leash.

3 - Never Let Them Jump. This is important with a big dog. What is cute when a 5lb fluff-ball jups up and puts his feet on your leg is definitely NOT SO CUTE when the dog is 120lbs and jumps up on kids and knocks them down. Stop the jumping right from day one.

4 - Lots of appropriate chewy-objects. Big dogs grow fast and for a long time and they need to chew. Any time you catch them chewing something they shouldn't, take it away and give them something they are allowed to chew. As I type, both pups are lying on the floor by me chewing rawhide somethings

Enjoy your new buddy!

Edited by AK_Mom4

Ask to see the actual results on paper.

If done, they should be available on the OFA website.

I agree with Margaret-- Labs and Pyrs don't have great track records as far as hips are concerned.

Also, YES. Those few days make a difference. If possible, I'd even wait another week, until 9 weeks. Pyrs are a pretty independent, stand offish breed (as requried by their original purpose as flock guardians) and Labs are pretty in-your-face. I"d give that pup all the opportunity possible to learn from mama and the littermates, and then once I got him home I'd socialize, socialize, socialize. Take him everywhere and expose him to people of all shapes and sizes. Work on people-meeting skills. Socialization is CRUCIAL.

One more question-- was this an intentional mix? Or an oops?

astrid

Oh. Thanks for the info.

Those of us in the purebred world are trying to keep tabs on what "designer" mixes are cropping up, and this is one I haven't heard of. Especially since it involves a large Working Group breed closely related to my breed, I was wondering. Pyrs are not very common, and are not usually favored by commercial breeders/millers because of their large size and appetites.

astrid

Oh. Thanks for the info.

Those of us in the purebred world are trying to keep tabs on what "designer" mixes are cropping up, and this is one I haven't heard of. Especially since it involves a large Working Group breed closely related to my breed, I was wondering. Pyrs are not very common, and are not usually favored by commercial breeders/millers because of their large size and appetites.

astrid

Unfortunately Astrid this mix and labs mixed with Anatolians are popping up in our rescue often. They are calling them Analabs and stating that you get the protective quality of the LGD with the happiness of the lab. We have had quite a few of these mixes over the last 2 years but it has doubled in the last year.

THanks for all the tips everyone. I will see if a gate can be put up blocking the entrance way. We do not have a closet for shoes and coats, it is just a shelf and hooks, so no way to hide our shoes, though I suppose we could keep them in the backroom if I rearrange some stuff until she learns not to chew everything.

A question about cross breeds, the momma is a pyr/yellow lab, the daddy is a yellow lab from a farm down the way. Do dogs take on more traits of the one they have more of in it? Like will this one have more lab traits? They do not know if the daddy is a pure because the owners of it got it at the spca, so know way to know for sure.

I will look into some training classes too. I did put a whole stack of cesar milan books and dvd's on hold from the library yesterday.

Off to do a search of puppy threads.

I have a kennel/crate lined up. The person we are getting the pup from has one that is no longer used, Not a huge one but big enough for a pup until i find a bigger one.

I will look into the mitt and curry brush. She is definitely a fluffy pup and will need daily brushing if I do not want to grow a hair ball puppy in a week ;)

you will not know how a mix will be, especially one of such different styles of dogs. However, the very basic is high socialization, puppy training classes and a refresher every year or so.

Also remember that large dogs cost a lot more to care for then smaller dogs in terms or maintanence and medicating.

I would also recommend a Furminator brush to help reduce the undercoat. You will need to brush almost daily but at certain times of the year even a few times a day and sweep up a lot!

As others have said, crate training, baby gates, puppy proof your house(remove all items that are chewable), check for known toxins and remove or lock up and until completely housebroken keep the puppy tethered to your side! Potty breaks every 2 hours, before and after playtime, after waking. Watch when you feed in the evening and you should feed at least 2 times a day.

The extra few days with the mother will make a difference, ideally 9 weeks would be even better though plus it will give you more time to prepare as a week is really not that long!

Enjoy!

I have a Pyr and grew up with labs. My Pyr is not a working dog but comes from all working stock (her line is very long-lived - her breeder has not had a dog die of natural causes before they were 12yo and most of them make it to 14yo - very important for me when doing my research because we had just lost our Great Dane, and 2 months later the Newfie mix who showed up at our fence and we adopted but who was riddled with cancer so I didn't another dog to die on us quickly).

Lots of brushing, lots of love. Our Pyr was very playful as a puppy and had to be with us all the time. One caveat with Pyrs - they bark at everything. No, seriously, they bark if a blade of grass moves the wrong way. My mum's Pyr does this too.

Adorable looking puppies.

Anatolians are NOT for first-time dog owners, and personally, I don't think Labs are either, despite their sudden reputation as the "all American family dog."

The combination of those two temperaments must really be, um, something else.

astrid

SO far the ones that have come into the rescue have all been fairly well behaved good natured dogs for LGD mixes! Most, except for the litters of pups have been turned in because people wanted a huge lab and that is not what these dogs turned out to be.

It is a shame really because both breeds are such nice dogs on their own for their own purposes but it happens.

I agree about both breeds but especially the ASD's. I am down to 2 right now but we always have a foster pop through my doors as well. So often they come into the rescue because people do not know how to train a LGD so they fail at it or people get the cute fuzzy puppy and not realize what a large dog they will grow up to be and how difficult they can be to train. These are not agility dogs most of the time but dogs that are meant to think on their own and decide if there is danger to their flock, whether it be animal or human!

SO far the ones that have come into the rescue have all been fairly well behaved good natured dogs for LGD mixes! Most, except for the litters of pups have been turned in because people wanted a huge lab and that is not what these dogs turned out to be.

It is a shame really because both breeds are such nice dogs on their own for their own purposes but it happens.

I agree about both breeds but especially the ASD's. I am down to 2 right now but we always have a foster pop through my doors as well. So often they come into the rescue because people do not know how to train a LGD so they fail at it or people get the cute fuzzy puppy and not realize what a large dog they will grow up to be and how difficult they can be to train. These are not agility dogs most of the time but dogs that are meant to think on their own and decide if there is danger to their flock, whether it be animal or human!

This is actually a trait I am happy with from the Pyr. As a single mom, and for some reason my family attracting all sorts of crazies and bullies etc I am tired to trying to protect my family on my own. I want a dog with a big bark and loyalty to the family.

My father had a lab when he lived on an island and she NEEDED alot of exercise. I have a giant breed/retriever cross(bloodhound and golden retriever - we think) and I would say be prepared for the puppy to get big. Do not start any habits that you would not want the pup to continue if it reaches the largest size possible for the pyranees.

My father had a lab when he lived on an island and she NEEDED alot of exercise. I have a giant breed/retriever cross(bloodhound and golden retriever - we think) and I would say be prepared for the puppy to get big. Do not start any habits that you would not want the pup to continue if it reaches the largest size possible for the pyranees.

I am anticipating a BIG dog, momma is waist high. We plan on exercising it a lot, like 2-3 good size walks/runs a day plus play time. As for habits I am going to be trying my best not to let any bad ones form. Hoping between the info on this board and books/dvds and training class I can not make any big mistakes like that with this pup

My guy was very protective of my son. He was nervous around people due to his background, but he'd get in between any stranger and his boy. The type of intelligence can be challenging, but it is the type I prefer too. You can play fun games, like hiding toys or treats in a paper bag or under a towel behind a chair. I didn't say "go get it" or anything. I just waited for the dog to figure it out.

I just noticed that you do home day care..... those kids aren't allergic, are they? And they're down with the new puppy thing, right? I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I just saw that in your siggy in another thread and wondered about all those fun toddler toys (puppy chew toys!) and needly puppy teeth on tender toddler skin.

astrid

We have a Furminator but a "mane and tail" brush works better. The dog doesn't like sharp brushes and the mane and tail brush has little balls on the end of the bristles (like a hairbrush) but it still pulls out lots of the undercoat.

Since we have a Bernese Mountain Dog (yours will be a bit bigger) we went through several increasingly larger crates til we gave up. It would have taken up half the kitchen.

I just noticed that you do home day care..... those kids aren't allergic, are they? And they're down with the new puppy thing, right? I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I just saw that in your siggy in another thread and wondered about all those fun toddler toys (puppy chew toys!) and needly puppy teeth on tender toddler skin.

astrid

yes they are both fine with it, BOth own large breed dogs already, 1 has an Alaskan Malmute the other has a black lab and a smaller dog. BOth families think it is great I am getting a puppy, they both love having their kids around animals including large dogs.

I am picking up baby gates like you guys suggested to block off the livingroom/play room that is where all the daycare toys are and where we play when not eating or doing a craft in the kitchen.

We have a Furminator but a "mane and tail" brush works better. The dog doesn't like sharp brushes and the mane and tail brush has little balls on the end of the bristles (like a hairbrush) but it still pulls out lots of the undercoat.

Since we have a Bernese Mountain Dog (yours will be a bit bigger) we went through several increasingly larger crates til we gave up. It would have taken up half the kitchen.

I totally hear that. Basically the kitchen IS the crate! :D

astrid

Especially because of it being a large breed, I'd recommend feeding only grain free food. I actually feed raw and think it's best, but if you are going to feed kibble, look for high quality grain free. (Think wolfs eat meat/ cows eat grain, and the growth rate of both)

The Kongs are great to feed the kibble inside of.... You just kinda mix the kibble with some tepid water.... Let soak up for a few minutes... and stuff inside the kong. (Black one...) Then each of these will give you maybe 15 minutes of peace. I used 3 of them 2x a day. (I had 3 Kongs and would feed him twice a day) It was wonderful for them to go bouncing all over with him "working" for his food. Someone else may pipe in and alter my suggestion. I know that there are "puppy Kongs" but I don't think it's a necessary first step. They are an investment, but worth it to get the "chewing" bit out of the pups ;) And the whole "leash with you" thing... one reason it's nice is because it keeps the pet from having "mistakes"... instead of trying to correct them :)

Enjoy!! :)

Oh. Thanks for the info.

astrid

Labrador/Pyrenees combos are extremely common here in central TX. As a matter of fact, I found one in our neighborhood a little while after we lost our yellow lab. Minus the larger size and longer coat, she was the spitting image of our dearly departed lab. She was mellow and sweet, no trouble at all during the time I kept her (waiting for owner to find her). I took her to our city's animal control to see if she had a chip (she did not) and they told me that lab/pyr combos are highly sought after by local ranchers and country folks, who want the best of both breeds. They are very popular and never lack a home, never get put down because they are so well loved around here. From the few days I spent with her, I could see why. I am still a bit sad today that her owner claimed her, I liked her so well. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: And she was not a barker, which endeared her to me, as neither was our yellow lab. Or our chocolate now, come to think of it. I'm not a fan of a constant barker.

This is actually a trait I am happy with from the Pyr. As a single mom, and for some reason my family attracting all sorts of crazies and bullies etc I am tired to trying to protect my family on my own. I want a dog with a big bark and loyalty to the family.

I got a dog for my family a year and a half ago. He barks at anyone who comes up to our house, and I love it. I feel safer with him around, and I am comforted by the fact he would protect us from anyone. As a single mom this is a huge benefit to dog ownership.

I am so glad that I decided to get a dog. I even sleep better at night with him in the house. :001_smile: