Menu

Those of you who own hybrid vehicles

Dh's Prius has 250000 miles and gets an average of 54mpg. Say, 4,600 gallons. At 30mpg, that would be 8,300ish gallons. At 3.50/gallon on average, that's $16,100 vs. $29,050. I'd recommend doing the math based on how many miles you intend to drive overall. Or buy a slightly older model.

wow! Tell me his secrets. I can't seem to get above 48mpgs with any regularity...and lately it's been much worse! I just hiked up the tire pressure, but it's barely made a dent. Do you live in a flat part of the country?

We have a Prius (2011 version)...I LOOOOOVVVEEE my Prius (and I don't usually care about cars a hoot). I also, however, "only" get about 48 miles per gallon.

I haven't tracked the gas mileage/money, but I can't imagine that it hasn't saved us a lot of money - Prius' don't cost a lot to begin with. Most of them are still kicking at 200K+ in mileage, so I know the savings will continue, especially with where gas is going.

For other types of cars/hybrids, I don't know if it would be worth it. Some of those "hybrids" only seem to get 5 mpg more than the regular car, so I'd have to say "it depends on the car".

wow! Tell me his secrets. I can't seem to get above 48mpgs with any regularity...and lately it's been much worse! I just hiked up the tire pressure, but it's barely made a dent. Do you live in a flat part of the country?

We actually live ON a mountain, lol, but what goes up must come down! I can make it to the grocery store 8 miles down the hill with almost no gas. Coming back up is another story. ;) I guess you could say that most of dh's commute is relatively flat highway. Usually across NJ, sometimes into NYC.

:lurk5:Just out of curiousity, are hybrids more expensive in the repair and maintenance department? And if so is it a little or alot?

Tire and windshield replacement are expensive for the Prius. I don't remember numbers, but we've had to do the Prius and minivan simultaneously, and I remember feeling sick over the difference.

Dh and his cousin do most of our routine care, and it seems to come out the same. A mechanic wanted a fortune to change the headlight, so dh youtubed it and saved a bundle. (And, yes, it works fine!)

My dh has had a Civic hybrid for about 5.5 years now, we average about 40mpg.

We haven't had any maintenance that cost more than anything on our standard cards. We put new tires on about 2 years ago and they would have cost the same no matter if the car was a hybrid or not. We also had the windshield replaced about a year ago as a the crazy amount of snow we got in VA was more weight than it could handle apparently and it cracked all the way across. The only cost to us was the insurance deductible.

My dh loves his car and feels it was worth every penny. From the outside you can't tell it's a hybrid unless you look at the little plastic tag on the back of the car.

:lurk5:Just out of curiousity, are hybrids more expensive in the repair and maintenance department? And if so is it a little or alot?

You also want to check on the battery (I think).

My folks have a Honda Civic Hybrid from 02 (so an early model). I think the battery went out and it was about $3000 - so pretty pricey. I don't know if that'd still be the cost on newer models or how often the battery needs replacing (think it's generally as often as a timing belt... but definitely more expensive).

They also now have a Prius, so they're happy with the hybrids overall.

You also want to check on the battery (I think).

My folks have a Honda Civic Hybrid from 02 (so an early model). I think the battery went out and it was about $3000 - so pretty pricey. I don't know if that'd still be the cost on newer models or how often the battery needs replacing (think it's generally as often as a timing belt... but definitely more expensive).

They also now have a Prius, so they're happy with the hybrids overall.

The battery is not what most people think of. This is the special hybrid battery and it's in the back of the car. It should last nearly the life of the vehicle. But of course, it doesn't always. I can't remember the mileage on it, but it should be high because your constantly recharging it when you break.

I've only had my hybrid about a year (got a 2009) so I can't speak to the price of maintenance other than regular oil changes...which is no different than my other car. I too got tires last fall and they were no different than if i"d gotten them for another car.

The battery is not what most people think of. This is the special hybrid battery and it's in the back of the car. It should last nearly the life of the vehicle. But of course, it doesn't always. I can't remember the mileage on it, but it should be high because your constantly recharging it when you break.

I've only had my hybrid about a year (got a 2009) so I can't speak to the price of maintenance other than regular oil changes...which is no different than my other car. I too got tires last fall and they were no different than if i"d gotten them for another car.

Very true the $3000 battery is the one that the car uses to boost the engine when accelerating or that it uses when you stop and it shuts down to electric power when waiting at a light etc. Not the typical battery you see under the hood. Like I said my dh's car is about 5.5 years old and we've never had any issues with the big battery and no signs of any issues.

As mentioned above, standard maintenance hasn't been any higher than on a standard gasoline car, I don't get the tire thing someone mentioned about the prius because when we got tires, we didn't need any special ones because it was a hybrid. They were just like buying tires for any other car that used that size tire.

As another possibility-

I have a "clean diesel" VW TDI - a Golf - that I love. I get about 40-45 mpg, and it drives like a sports car :)

Diesel engines go forever, they are no longer loud or stinky :)

Diesel costs slightly more, but when compared to a hybrid - clean diesel engines are less maintenance and last longer - so it may even out....

As another possibility-

I have a "clean diesel" VW TDI - a Golf - that I love. I get about 40-45 mpg, and it drives like a sports car :)

Diesel engines go forever, they are no longer loud or stinky :)

Diesel costs slightly more, but when compared to a hybrid - clean diesel engines are less maintenance and last longer - so it may even out....

I considered a diesel car, and also little Honda or Toyotas (Matrix??), when I was looking. But, one of the things I really needed was leg room for kids and then storage for their stuff. The Prius was able to do that for me as well as provide great gas mileage.

We actually live ON a mountain, lol, but what goes up must come down! I can make it to the grocery store 8 miles down the hill with almost no gas. Coming back up is another story. ;) I guess you could say that most of dh's commute is relatively flat highway. Usually across NJ, sometimes into NYC.

What does he keep his tire pressure at? I just upped mine to 41/39 in hopes of getting a few more mpgs.

Tire and windshield replacement are expensive for the Prius. I don't remember numbers, but we've had to do the Prius and minivan simultaneously, and I remember feeling sick over the difference.

Dh and his cousin do most of our routine care, and it seems to come out the same. A mechanic wanted a fortune to change the headlight, so dh youtubed it and saved a bundle. (And, yes, it works fine!)

Tire replacement was not expensive...maybe someone has expensive tires, but mine were $200 less than our Sienna tire replacements...I bought my own headlights at the local Autozone and they put them in for me for free...

Ours is a 2010 Prius...we get 52mpg, best is 55mpg worst is 48mpg...we are saving thousands!! I would be hard pressed to buy another vehicle that gets less than 50mpg EVER....the savings with the miles we put on our cars easily pays for many things we otherwise could not afford.

What does he keep his tire pressure at? I just upped mine to 41/39 in hopes of getting a few more mpgs.

You really will not realize more mileage with this tactic...keep it at recommended (34/32)..I bought the fuelmax tires and while I coast farther, have not really noticed increase in mileage...we mostly have flat lands, if you have any kind of hills you will not realize 50mpg...it takes a LOT of gas to get our Prius up a hill! We have some big hills, but I only have to cross them 2x a year...it's pretty flat here. I do use the new recommended oil for the engine (0-10?) not sure if it helps with mileage but it is better for the engine...

2010 Prius with 50K+ miles on it. I also loooooove my Prius! I didn't really care much when we bought it; we love Toyotas in general and bought the car for the gas mileage.

A rock hit my windshield, which had to be replaced when my car was three months old. The car was so new that we hade to buy a Toyota windshield: ~$1000. That was ugly. (On the plus side, Safelite came out last month when the seal began leaking and repaired it for free, although they'd replaced the windshield more than three years prior.)

Oil changes are more expensive because the car uses synthetic oil. I pay about $60 at the dealer--but Toyota recommends changing the oil just every 10,000 miles. (My car was originally every 5?6?000, and Toyota changed it recommendations a year or so later.)

New tires--cost the same as any other tire.

The hybrid battery issue is non-existent. Priuses have been around for 12 years.

I average 57 mpg. When I first began driving, it was in the low 40s. It slowly increased. Sometime around the year anniversary, I leveled out. I live in Virginia; there are some hills, but not "mountainous." I use mid-grade gas, based on Toyota recommendations. I've not found any difference between driving in city or on highway.

It's our family car (replaced our minivan!). My two kids never complain about the back seat; one is 5'6", the other is 5'9", and they both weigh between 120-145 lbs. The trunk is not as deep as other sedans because the hybrid battery sits below the trunk. We'll be taking it out of town for a week, and I'm wondering how we're going to fit luggage for four! (We had four adults and luggage for two earlier in the month, and we all fit fine.)

I really love my car. I've always loved my Toyotas; they've proven themselves over and over, I have no reason to consider anything else.

You really will not realize more mileage with this tactic...keep it at recommended (34/32)..I bought the fuelmax tires and while I coast farther, have not really noticed increase in mileage...we mostly have flat lands, if you have any kind of hills you will not realize 50mpg...it takes a LOT of gas to get our Prius up a hill!

Neither of these has been my experience. I routinely get 60mpg with overinflated tires; however, my dh is reluctant to have me drive like that, and I am uncomfortable doing that during the winter because of weather possibilities.

Three times a week I drive 80 miles round trip, half which is flat, half which is hilly, and I average 57mpg on every tank.

DH says the prius battery is warrantied for 7 yrs, life expectancy is 10, and it is made up of lots of little components that can be replaced individually. But the whole battery would cost around $1500. He regularly gets 45-50 mpg.

DH does most of our car maintenance and alot of the repairs. He's had no problem with Prius stuff being more expensive. You might pay more at a shop because they like to make you think it's newer and harder. Unless they are working on something connected to that battery though, it's not.

We replaced the tires recently, and we just bought 4 plain ole' tires. Cost wasn't any higher than any other tires.

Edited by cin

We bought a 1st Generation Prius brand new in 2004. It has over 150k miles on it, and has had to be serviced ONCE...for a $300 computer chip (the car stalled while driving late at night on a back road, I wasn't happy but it wasn't a catastrophe). The rest of the time we've just kept on top of scheduled maintenance, like oil changes & tune ups. NO OTHER REPAIRS or PROBLEMS.

150K+ miles and only 1 visit to the shop (unplanned) after 7 years = LIFETIME Prius/Toyota loyalty.

When this Prius finally dies we'll be getting another....maybe even the larger version...But until then we plan to keep driving this one untill it no longer runs, even if we have to replace the battery.

We bought the Prius because after considering gas prices & mileage in DH commute, we realized the saved gas cost would = the cost of the car payment (which was around $450 at the time) Granted DH had a communte of over an hour each way, 5 days a week so he went from filling up every other day to filling up the Prius once a week. (He really worked the interstate mileage and almost no gas useage within city electric driving under 20 MPH).

The car is paid for now, and he still only fills up 1x a week, 10 gallon tank ($35ish total) and commutes over 2 hours a day.

YMMV, but if the projected saved $ in gas can make most of the payment or at least justify the upgrade to hybrid go for it. Especially since gas prices are expected to continue to rise.

I have one of the larger hybrids -- a Toyota Highlander. I average about 22 - 23 mpg. There are certainly cars out there with better gas milage. At the time, though, I needed the larger car. I routinely carried my 2 girls and a friend's 2 girls, so I had 2 carseats and 2 boosters. I love my Highlander, but I recently told my dh that I no longer "needed" it. We are trying to cut back on expenses and I am willing to give up the car for a smaller one. Dh doesn't want to do that. He likes having a larger car for the times we do need it, and feels we get great gas milage for the size and weight of the car. My Honda Odyssey averaged about 14 mpg, so we are please with what we now get.