Menu

The more I research, the more I revise my plans...

alisoncooks

I'm fairly new here, and I am a first year homeschooler. I have been "researching" homeschool curric. since DD (now 5) was 2. Before she was born, I was a 1st grd. teacher in public school.

My dilemma: Every time I think I have *A PLAN*...something new and shiny floats into my line of sight and messes it all up! I started with MFWK...moved on to ETC & Alphaphonics (very briefly), and we are now using CLE's kinder workbooks. But I still want to add in science/art/moremoremore...

I also like to have a rough plan for the coming few years...and it seems like I make changes to it weekly. The more I look, the more I revise.

Please tell me I am not alone! What was the turning point that helped you to stop LOOKING for greener grass? Is that possible?

I think this is very common. I have made these same purchases. Relax!!! :) I think it is very normal. I have tried really hard to really enjoy what I have purchased and only make a change when completely necessary. Oftentimes I will get the new item only to find that I liked my original choice better. I am sure this will get better the more we do this!

Add me to the list! My DS TURN 5 next month, and I have been planning for months. I started with wanting to go with Sonlight, then switched to MFW. Then back to Sonlight. Then to choosing random stuff, which is where I currently am. My current kindergarten plan is to tackle reading, writing, math, Bible, and a basic science, then do GTG for first grade, then who knows what. This has been my plan for the last few weeks, but check back soon-I am sure I will change my mind again!

Please tell me I am not alone! What was the turning point that helped you to stop LOOKING for greener grass? Is that possible?

Circumstances were such that I had to jump in and get going with something fast--didn't have ages to research it. I guess there was some benefit to that even though it was hard at the time, and the beginning had less good material than I have now. Then because son was having dyslexia type problems changes and additional materials were needed.

Now, if I find something that works (like MUS) I stick with it as a spine so long as it works. While there could be greener grass, bouncing around and making changes can create holes etc. so it could make the apparently greener grass brown. I do, however, add on supplements.

If something is not quite working or not as well as I think it should then I keep my eyes open for something better. Or just if more work is needed and other ways of looking at things not to be bored or to get a different way of understanding.

You're not alone! I was so sure I had everything planned out for my daughter for upcoming 3rd grade, and went ahead and started purchasing curriculum. In a matter of a month's time I have changed every single curriculum choice. I had originally planned to go with a "box curriculum" but after purchasing, quickly realized that it wouldn't work for my daughter. I have gotten some amazing recommendations here and have learned so much just from reading with others are doing/using. I am really happy with my new choices, and more importantly, they are what will work best for my daughter.

What I did early on was get myself to some used curriculum sales, homeschool conferences, friend's houses who homeschool, etc... to look at curriculum in person. A lot of the things I thought sounded good didn't look so good when I had in front of me. Ask to borrow if someone you know has something you're considering. Try joining a non-academic co-op and pick their brains. Buy stuff on the sale boards either here at Homeschoolclassifieds.com and pick up stuff cheap with the intention of checking it out, not necessarily using it. That way if you decide you don't like it you can turn around and sell it without losing money.

For me it's all trial and error. I've bought lots of stuff with no intention of using it just to see if I like it. It really has helped me figure out no only what I like, but almost as important, what I don't. Good luck!

This is definitely me! I'm homeschooling for the first time this coming year, and I'm finding it very hard to settle on what to use. Especially when it comes to math, my weakest subject. I've spent hours looking at so many programs, and I'm freaked out about which will be "best".

I actually have a list , which I think will be more or less what we use, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger and buy any of it. Especially the rather pricey stuff like AAS. What if we hate it and are stuck with it?

From an "old hand" (just my experience and opinion here):

This gets a lot harder as they get older. Try to REALLY enjoy the grades before 3rd and 4th. Have fun. I cannot emphasize this enough.... Got to a lot of museums, parks, and play dates. DO hands-on, fun science-y stuff :) You know - things that fizz or turn to goo. Use a lot of play-doh. Read aloud every day. Make huge murals in the hallway. This is the stuff they will remember. They will have no idea in 5 years what was in a "spine" in k or 1st grade.

Do basic math, and reading, obviously, but let the child pick the direction for subjects like history and science. Want to study dinosaurs?? OK! Egypt? OK!

Use real books at the library, and don't worry about a spine or a "program" - they are so dry, and at that age, you want your child to love learning, so that when you can't avoid the dry stuff anymore - they are more willing to jump in.

I know it can be scary to chart your own course, but do it while you can and have fun :)

ETA - there is no "best" math. Especially before pre-algebra. Adding is adding. Pick one you think looks good and don't worry about it :) I liked the ones that used a lot of manipulatives.

Edited by SailorMom

You are not alone!!! (I am glad to hear I am not the only one:lol:)

I thought, ok once I figure this out we will be good to go. I don't want to flip flop around. So far what I thought was best with all my research ended up not working, then we changed to something else, then I wasn't sure that I liked that and the kids weren't retaining.....well you can see my plan hasn't quite worked for picking one curriculum and going with it.:001_smile: So sorry no advice on how not to do that here. I think experience. Once you have seen things, tried things, and then gotten over the fact that you are going to have to change things at times, you probably just come to terms with the process. At least that's what I am hoping magically happens over here!:lol:

Like the more wise homeschoolers keep saying.....RELAX! RELAX! RELAX! (I am actually saying this to myself because I don't seem to know the definition of realx when it comes to homeschooling. I guess that means we are good parents who care, right?);)

I taught K for 5 years, currently teaching preschool for the 7 years now, this is my first year homeschooling my daughter in 1st grade. I'm so used to having a really good idea of what to teach that I've been lost this year...it's almost the end of the year and I'm getting it. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about next year...and of course stressing about it.

I taught K for 5 years, currently teaching preschool for the 7 years now, this is my first year homeschooling my daughter in 1st grade. I'm so used to having a really good idea of what to teach that I've been lost this year...it's almost the end of the year and I'm getting it. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about next year...and of course stressing about it.

I wondered if that was part of my problem. I'm used to having it all laid out and just adding in the fun stuff, the extras. Also, I'm used to teaching to a crowd, LOL..... teaching to 1-2 is quite a different story!!!

This is normal. I figured out math and science early on. Spelling took me 4 years. I think I'm pretty good at weeding things out now. (Watch, I'll live to eat those words.)