Menu

One Year World History for High School

How about Spielvogel's Western Civilization? It will cover the time periods you want, but as the name indicates, it has a western focus.

Is the volume you linked complete? I had previously googled Spielvogel, and I was confused about the different editions. Some seemed to be really cheap compared to the one you linked, which is why I'm wondering if it is perhaps a combined edition, or the latest/greatest edition?

Would this book, along with the official study guides, make a complete course? I guess I'm wondering if anybody has put together a syllabus or schedule, too.

I'm sorry for all the questions! Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Notgrass: Exploring World History

I would be tempted to use Notgrass if you only have a year. Spielvogel's book is quite large!

What is the nature of the Bible/religion portion of Notgrass? Is it pretty generic, so as to be acceptable to a variety of denominations?

It depends on what you are looking for. Notgrass is great, a very in depth program. I loved it. My dd hated it. She chose Christian Light Publication's world history. She learned a lot, without any extras. It was inexpensive and far less time consuming than Notgrass. CLP is essentially the same thing as Lifepacs (at least at this grade level).

M[/b

]y Father's World uses Notgrass for their one year world history program.

Thanks, I just looked up this program.

Again, is the MFW Bible/religion portion more suited to any particular denomination, or does it more strongly favor the beliefs of one denomination over another?

It depends on what you are looking for. Notgrass is great, a very in depth program. I loved it. My dd hated it. She chose Christian Light Publication's world history. She learned a lot, without any extras. It was inexpensive and far less time consuming than Notgrass. CLP is essentially the same thing as Lifepacs (at least at this grade level).

Thanks for the info. I think my son would appreciate an in-depth program; history is one of his favorite subjects.

My only concern would be if there is any particular religious slant. My background is Catholic, and my DH is Lutheran. I've used a variety of Christian curriculums, but I try to steer away from any that are especially negative towards the Catholic or Orthodox faith.

Glencoe published a World History by Spielvogel in the earlier 2000's. (ISBN 0-07-823993-1)

Used copies of it can be found for $15.00 or less. It has the benefit of addressing those areas Western Civilization would not. We use a newer version of the Western Civilization, but I have a copy of the World History around as well. Often the text will be the same in similar content areas just with less elaboration in the World History (which was designed for high school use).

For someone wanting to cover World History in a year it would work as a spine.

We liked the more frequent use of excerpts from literature or documents in the WC. WH has some, but not as many. WH reads a bit easier and because it was used widely in high schools it has a lot of extra resources available (study guides, teacher's editions, test/quiz book).

Glencoe published a World History by Spielvogel in the earlier 2000's. (ISBN 0-07-823993-1)

Used copies of it can be found for $15.00 or less. It has the benefit of addressing those areas Western Civilization would not. We use a newer version of the Western Civilization, but I have a copy of the World History around as well. Often the text will be the same in similar content areas just with less elaboration in the World History (which was designed for high school use).

For someone wanting to cover World History in a year it would work as a spine.

We liked the more frequent use of excerpts from literature or documents in the WC. WH has some, but not as many. WH reads a bit easier and because it was used widely in high schools it has a lot of extra resources available (study guides, teacher's editions, test/quiz book).

Thanks for this and the detailed commentary. Do you know what the difference is between the "regular" book and the student edition? This is what I found on Amazon, but it also shows a student edition above the Book Description. The used copies of the student edition are priced quite a bit higher than the used copies of the "regular" edition, so I'm wondering if the student version has something extra included.

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-World-History-McGraw-Hill/dp/0078239931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329962931&sr=1-1

Thanks for the info. I think my son would appreciate an in-depth program; history is one of his favorite subjects.

My only concern would be if there is any particular religious slant. My background is Catholic, and my DH is Lutheran. I've used a variety of Christian curriculums, but I try to steer away from any that are especially negative towards the Catholic or Orthodox faith.

Dd has often commented that Notgrass is anti-Catholic. We're not Catholic ourselves, and I've not followed up on what exactly prompts her to say this. Overall she's not impressed with Notgrass -- I've heard it described as being about an inch deep -- but it's getting the job done.

Dd has often commented that Notgrass is anti-Catholic. We're not Catholic ourselves, and I've not followed up on what exactly prompts her to say this. Overall she's not impressed with Notgrass -- I've heard it described as being about an inch deep -- but it's getting the job done.

Thank you. I'm sorry to hear this, but none-the-less, this input is helpful to me.

We've been using Sonlight, and I generally have no problems with it, except with a small number of their Bible resources. Usually it's easy to drop a particular book with no impact on the overall program, but I'm not sure that would be possible with the Notgrass program.

I used Ways of the World with my son. It focuses on trends in history rather than details and is shorter than most. It is very well written (and I should know, I read the entire thing aloud!) and presents an extremely coherent narrative. The chapter questions are thoughtful. There is a companion website with quizzes and things. Highly recommended.

I used Ways of the World with my son. It focuses on trends in history rather than details and is shorter than most. It is very well written (and I should know, I read the entire thing aloud!) and presents an extremely coherent narrative. The chapter questions are thoughtful. There is a companion website with quizzes and things. Highly recommended.

Thank you! Did you read both volumes aloud? LOL, 720 pages is long enough. It seems like both books together would make a great World History spine, and I could do a separate literature component. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

ETA: I just realized that the one you linked is the combined volume. My hats off to you for reading that aloud!

Edited by Serenade

The one with Tut on the cover is the one. Probably so much less because it is more dated. All of the resource extras will have the same image.

The other appears to be more recent, but I can't know if Spielvogel contributed to it. With the Tut one, he is the author. Because I have it and the WC, I recognize passages verbatim in both.

The one with Tut on the cover is the one. Probably so much less because it is more dated. All of the resource extras will have the same image.

The other appears to be more recent, but I can't know if Spielvogel contributed to it. With the Tut one, he is the author. Because I have it and the WC, I recognize passages verbatim in both.

This is helpful. I often get confused when researching these books with all the different editions. I think for my purposes it doesn't matter if the book is a bit dated, as I'm mostly looking for world history up to the 20th Century. I'm thinking of using Sonlight's 20th Century World History class for a subsequent year.

Thank you!

I haven't used it yet, (we are doing geography this year) but Oak Meadow uses a Glencoe World History text book. There is a syllabus. They don't offer traditional tests though.

I just linked over to Oak Meadow, and it looks like they have a one page syllabus posted with their samples. I wonder if that is the complete syllabus, or if they have additional details included with the one that comes with purchase.

I saw that there is a teacher manual also available, which might be helpful.

Geez, I'm feeling so old now. I had my kids later in life, and high school was such a long time ago, and everything was so different. I don't think I ever even studied the ancients until I did Sonlight Core 1 with my boys!

Dd and I went through all of world history two years ago. Ugh. What I took from it was you can't go in depth without sacrificing coverage. There is only so much time. So 6000+ years of history in one school year would have to be one inch deep. And that is what we did. We were throwing it up by the end of the year.... facts, facts, facts. The last six weeks we bailed from it (only had modern history left) and read Story of the World Vol. 4 (because we were beat up from textbook cramming). We used Streams of Civilization Vol. 1, then to BJU at renaissance (could only stand it a few chapters), then Spiegvogel's Human Odyssey for a few more chapters. Finished with SOTW 4. I didn't mind Human Odyssey, but it is 1100 pages, which might be difficult to cover in a year. HO had great study questions (but no answers).

I was looking at MFW and saw the World History for High School. I have heard good reviews of Notgrass, but also wondered about how they present Chrisitan views. Is it non denominational?

Also, Streams have study packs to go with volume 1and 2. I need to check them out. I do have Western Civilization 7 th edition as well. I bought it for the Omnibus 1. And I see it is in TOG 2 as a text. I am thinking of doing World History for HS 1 yr.

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

Thanks for this and the detailed commentary. Do you know what the difference is between the "regular" book and the student edition? This is what I found on Amazon, but it also shows a student edition above the Book Description. The used copies of the student edition are priced quite a bit higher than the used copies of the "regular" edition, so I'm wondering if the student version has something extra included.

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-World-History-McGraw-Hill/dp/0078239931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329962931&sr=1-1

I read the review of the student book and it says it is for college. It looks like the other one would work for HS. There is a workbook too.

I read the review of the student book and it says it is for college.

That probably explains the difference in pricing.

It looks like the other one would work for HS. There is a workbook too.

Good to know there is a workbook.

I'm thinking of just going ahead and buying this book, used, even though I don't need it quite yet. It is cheap enough on Amazon to get it to review, and then make my decision.

I'm feeling better about World History. I feel like I'm finally getting closer to finding a solution.

I was looking at MFW and saw the World History for High School. I have heard good reviews of Notgrass, but also wondered about how they present Chrisitan views. Is it non denominational?

Also, Streams have study packs to go with volume 1and 2. I need to check them out. I do have Western Civilization 7 th edition as well. I bought it for the Omnibus 1. And I see it is in TOG 2 as a text. I am thinking of doing World History for HS 1 yr.

TOG is also something I've been interested in, but I get confused every time I look at their website. I feel like I can never figure out what I should buy.

Omnibus also looks interesting, but I'm not sure how to line things up for my son, who wouldn't start until 9th grade. I'm pretty sure he'll be doing Sonlight's Cores 300 & 400, probably for his junior and senior year, so that could potentially leave me two years to do Omnibus.

Dd and I went through all of world history two years ago. Ugh. What I took from it was you can't go in depth without sacrificing coverage. There is only so much time. So 6000+ years of history in one school year would have to be one inch deep. And that is what we did. We were throwing it up by the end of the year.... facts, facts, facts. The last six weeks we bailed from it (only had modern history left) and read Story of the World Vol. 4 (because we were beat up from textbook cramming). We used Streams of Civilization Vol. 1, then to BJU at renaissance (could only stand it a few chapters), then Spiegvogel's Human Odyssey for a few more chapters. Finished with SOTW 4. I didn't mind Human Odyssey, but it is 1100 pages, which might be difficult to cover in a year. HO had great study questions (but no answers).

Yeah, I can see how it would be hard to cover World History in a year. Possibly I could dedicate two years to do it. I could manage that, as it looks like 9th and 10th grade could both be available for World History, if I do Sonlight's Cores 300 and 400 for junior and senior year.

Did you read both volumes aloud?

Yes, I did.

It would have been extremely manageable except for the fact that we decided 8 weeks into the school year to put my son in school at the beginning of January and so crammed the rest of the book into 7 weeks. But finishing it over an entire school year would work very well.

Yes, I did.

It would have been extremely manageable except for the fact that we decided 8 weeks into the school year to put my son in school at the beginning of January and so crammed the rest of the book into 7 weeks. But finishing it over an entire school year would work very well.

That's good to know, that it could be covered over the course of a school year without too much stress. I'm still amazed, however, that you read it in such a short period of time.

http://www.amazon.com/World-History-.../dp/019511616X

I found out about this book by accident when Laura Berquist recommended another one of his books in her Ancients syllabus. It would be a great spine for a WTM style history, although its content is obviously not one period of history.

For about $5.00 you can get the edition I have, a hardback from 1979. I checked out the "new" 1999 book from the library and it was substantially the same.

He's excellent for the big picture, yet gives interesting info about the important threads of each civ. and when and how each civ. eventually interacted/influenced other civ's. With this approach, a one-yr. history of major civilizations is much easier to grasp.

From the Amazon "look inside" feature you can see the TOC. I really like the way it's laid out. Check out page 5 where he has 6 major civ. across the top and a kind of conceptual timeline corresponding to the time period up to 500 BC. It's somewhat easier to read in the actual book. I had thought dd could make her own enlarged version of the chart, but we never got to it.

Here's McNeill's wiki bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._McNeill

Yeah, I can see how it would be hard to cover World History in a year. Possibly I could dedicate two years to do it. I could manage that, as it looks like 9th and 10th grade could both be available for World History, if I do Sonlight's Cores 300 and 400 for junior and senior year.

That is conclusion I came to while using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. I could see using that for two years. Then you would only have to cover 550 pages a year, that is much better.

I put together a world history program this year for ds using the Glencoe Spielvogel book and syllabus through Oak Meadow. I am only going up to the 1800's (Napolean) this year. It is just so much info and I added a lot more. Art History study, Teaching Company lectures,lots of documentaries, added historical reading and a study on the great religions of the world.

I grade by workbook projects and essays, not tests.

I also put together his literature/comp class by following the same time frame.

Next year I plan to do British History/British lit for the first semester, then Current World History (1800 to current)/Current World Lit second semester.

(American History/Lit-11th and Government and Economics-12th)

I like the book and syllabus through Oak Meadow, but it is a huge book and a lot to do in one year (especially with all that I add to it).

I found out about this book by accident when Laura Berquist recommended another one of his books in her Ancients syllabus. It would be a great spine for a WTM style history, although its content is obviously not one period of history.

For about $5.00 you can get the edition I have, a hardback from 1979. I checked out the "new" 1999 book from the library and it was substantially the same.

He's excellent for the big picture, yet gives interesting info about the important threads of each civ. and when and how each civ. eventually interacted/influenced other civ's. With this approach, a one-yr. history of major civilizations is much easier to grasp.

From the Amazon "look inside" feature you can see the TOC. I really like the way it's laid out. Check out page 5 where he has 6 major civ. across the top and a kind of conceptual timeline corresponding to the time period up to 500 BC. It's somewhat easier to read in the actual book. I had thought dd could make her own enlarged version of the chart, but we never got to it.

Thank you for this! This looks like a really good book and is perhaps a perfect fit for our needs. I plan on using it with a 9th grader, so perhaps some of the longer texts would be more difficult. It is also very affordable, which is a big plus!

I put together a world history program this year for ds using the Glencoe Spielvogel book and syllabus through Oak Meadow. I am only going up to the 1800's (Napolean) this year. It is just so much info and I added a lot more. Art History study, Teaching Company lectures,lots of documentaries, added historical reading and a study on the great religions of the world.

I grade by workbook projects and essays, not tests.

I also put together his literature/comp class by following the same time frame.

Next year I plan to do British History/British lit for the first semester, then Current World History (1800 to current)/Current World Lit second semester.

(American History/Lit-11th and Government and Economics-12th)

I like the book and syllabus through Oak Meadow, but it is a huge book and a lot to do in one year (especially with all that I add to it).

Thank you for your input. You wouldn't perhaps have a ready list of the supplements you used, would you? If so, I would love to see them. The only year I ever tried to put something together myself for my kids, I was an utter failure. That was first grade, however, and I'd like to think I've come a long way since then.

That is conclusion I came to while using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. I could see using that for two years. Then you would only have to cover 550 pages a year, that is much better.

So many decisions to make, but I still have a little time. I actually do have a year or two to put something together, so maybe if I start now, I would be ready at the right time. We've pretty much used Sonlight all along, except for the first year, so I'm a little nervous about branching out on my own. However, as I said above, I'd like to think that I have enough experience now that I could put together a decent program on my own.

I haven't used it yet, (we are doing geography this year) but Oak Meadow uses a Glencoe World History text book. There is a syllabus. They don't offer traditional tests though.

Off topic:

I don't know if your interested but glencoe has a website for their books. On that website they have multiple choice questions, which you could use as a test.

HTH

Thank you for your input. You wouldn't perhaps have a ready list of the supplements you used, would you? If so, I would love to see them. The only year I ever tried to put something together myself for my kids, I was an utter failure. That was first grade, however, and I'd like to think I've come a long way since then.

I do have a schedule put together of the things ds is doing. I correlated his literature with it (although they do not always line up). I have not done tests in history, because he is overwhelmed with work. I use his workbook from Oak Meadow for most of the graded items, he also does a timeline and notes "WTM" style. I require literary analysis essays after each major literature book.

pm me if you would like me to send it.

I do have a schedule put together of the things ds is doing. I correlated his literature with it (although they do not always line up). I have not done tests in history, because he is overwhelmed with work. I use his workbook from Oak Meadow for most of the graded items, he also does a timeline and notes "WTM" style. I require literary analysis essays after each major literature book.

pm me if you would like me to send it.

Thank you! I just sent you a pm.

I was just coming up here to ask this very question. We've used Tapestry of Grace, and my oldest daughter is a junior. She's frustrated by the messiness of divvying up history and making a transcript. My second daughter dislikes TOG and the extra reading and is taking a more textbook approach to high school. She's a freshman. She plans to do US History next year, but we need to choose a World History course for her still. I'm having a hard time with switching gears like this from TOG to the texts. It's so not what I wanted for my kids as a homeschooler ... but ... it seems to be what they want.

What is the nature of the Bible/religion portion of Notgrass? Is it pretty generic, so as to be acceptable to a variety of denominations?

We are currently in the MFW year that uses Notgrass Exploring World History, and my opinion is that it is completely useable by someone from any mainstream denomination. By "mainstream" I just mean not a heretical sect like LDS. (I have plenty of LDS friends, and I am not bashing them, just answering the question.) Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Pentecostal, you get the picture.

We are currently in the MFW year that uses Notgrass Exploring World History, and my opinion is that it is completely useable by someone from any mainstream denomination. By "mainstream" I just mean not a heretical sect like LDS. (I have plenty of LDS friends, and I am not bashing them, just answering the question.) Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Pentecostal, you get the picture.

Thanks for your input. This is good to know!

Did you get your $5 version from Amazon? I'm not seeing anything nearly that cheap so I'm wondering if you got it elsewhere.

Try here http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=t3W4dwUYqL5llBYXghyfbf5kEEE_1366083477_1:31:292&bq=author%3Dwilliam%2520h.%2520mcneill%26title%3Dworld%2520history

I don't remember where I got mine but www.bookfinder.com has a few tonight--1979 hard cover and some paperbacks for under $5.00 including shipping. They show some new ones on the left hand side, but most are quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

Try here http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=t3W4dwUYqL5llBYXghyfbf5kEEE_1366083477_1:31:292&bq=author%3Dwilliam%2520h.%2520mcneill%26title%3Dworld%2520history

I don't remember where I got mine but www.bookfinder.com has a few tonight--1979 hard cover and some paperbacks for under $5.00 including shipping. They show some new ones on the left hand side, but most are quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much!

Notgrass is an option someone suggested for us recently. Would you be willing to explain what about it would make you think it unsuitable for an LDS family? Thanks. :)

Notgrass is an option someone suggested for us recently. Would you be willing to explain what about it would make you think it unsuitable for an LDS family? Thanks. :)

I'd be happy to, although I don't really have any specific examples since I can't look in our book right now. In general, there is Scripture from the Bible only (not other writings, Book of Mormon, etc.) on nearly every page of the book. Then that Scripture is applied to the history that is being presented. Since LDS teaches that the 66 books of the the Bible need the Book of Mormon and other teachings to enlighten and explain its actual meaning, this book may frustrate the reader because it doesn't leave the Scripture open to reinterpretaion from the Book of Mormon or other writings, teachings, prophets' opinions, etc. It directly applies the literal meaning of the Scripture to what is being discussed on the page. My LDS friends hold different beliefs about so many of the verses used in the book than the literal meaning of the verse, so they don't believe that those verses can be applied in this way. That is probably as clear as mud. Maybe I will have the opportunity to talk with some of them at our next homeschool group gathering and can ask them for some specific examples. I know they've discussed it before, but I don't recall any of the verses they had issues with. And they won't mind discussing it - we talk about things like this all the time and still love each other. :D

I'd be happy to, although I don't really have any specific examples since I can't look in our book right now. In general, there is Scripture from the Bible only (not other writings, Book of Mormon, etc.) on nearly every page of the book. Then that Scripture is applied to the history that is being presented. Since LDS teaches that the 66 books of the the Bible need the Book of Mormon and other teachings to enlighten and explain its actual meaning, this book may frustrate the reader because it doesn't leave the Scripture open to reinterpretaion from the Book of Mormon or other writings, teachings, prophets' opinions, etc. It directly applies the literal meaning of the Scripture to what is being discussed on the page. My LDS friends hold different beliefs about so many of the verses used in the book than the literal meaning of the verse, so they don't believe that those verses can be applied in this way. That is probably as clear as mud. Maybe I will have the opportunity to talk with some of them at our next homeschool group gathering and can ask them for some specific examples. I know they've discussed it before, but I don't recall any of the verses they had issues with. And they won't mind discussing it - we talk about things like this all the time and still love each other. :D

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. More information is always better, and I'm not clear on what you mean in your description here. Your explanation regarding the LDS view of the Bible is not entirely accurate. Perhaps if you just explained a little more objectively how the Bible verses are used in the text without trying to apply your understanding of an LDS point of view it might be more clear. You seem to be saying that all of the world history in the text is drawn only from the Bible. I'm not sure how that could be, since the Bible doesn't cover any history at all after the first century or so, or any history that happened outside a limited geographic region. I have no problem with a text that occasionally refers to the Bible, or uses Bible verses to discuss the moral implications of a historical event (although uber-preachy is not what I want in a history text)...but I'm not sure how one would draw a complete world history out of a literal interpretation of the Bible....?:001_huh:

I'm definitely not expecting Notgrass to contain references from the Book of Mormon or modern LDS prophets, just...well...world history. I guess I was thinking we could just use the history and literature portions, and skip the Bible assignments (ds will be taking a separate religion class anyway).

Edited by MamaSheep

These look so good I almost regret having looked. :tongue_smilie: Now, how you work them in? Maybe as wrap-up volumes to out current studies. They seem ideal for this purpose.

Ok. I finally went and dug far enough to find a table of contents. I hadn't gotten around to that yet, as the person only recently recommended it to me, and then I saw your comment. But I think I see what you mean. It's more of a study of religion in history through the lens of a specific worldview than an objective overview of world events. And you're right, I would probably disagree with a lot of the content, since I believe the LDS understanding of the Bible text is more "literal" than the view that seems to be presented there (which I would consider heretical), and my perspective on religious history after the Bible, such as the reformation would also be a little different.

I appreciate your heads-up on this, Songbirdie. I'll take it off my list.:)

Edited by MamaSheep

I'm definitely not expecting Notgrass to contain references from the Book of Mormon or modern LDS prophets, just...well...world history. I guess I was thinking we could just use the history and literature portions, and skip the Bible assignments (ds will be taking a separate religion class anyway).

Now I'm looking at the book. Volume 1 contains Creation through roughly 1100 AD. There is a TON of Scripture. You couldn't possibly just do history and skip the Bible. The Bible is interwoven on nearly EVERY PAGE. I'm not yelling with the all caps; I'm letting you know that it is full of Bible verses. It isn't "Bible assignments" as you call it; it is the expounding of history through a 66-book-Bible worldview. You might skip Bible assignments that come with a curriculum that uses that book as a spine, but in the book itself there aren't separate history, literature, and Bible assignments. It is a history of the world presented with commentary from the Bible.

As far as my understanding of LDS beliefs, I'm really not concerned with that here. I have had numerous friends throughout my lifetime who were LDS, and I completely understand their beliefs. I have studied in great detail how LDS and evangelical Christian understandings of the Bible are vastly different, even though they use some of the same jargon. So just understand that all I'm doing here is saying that you may not like this book, because it DOES utilize literal Scripture on nearly every page whether you can imagine that or not. It's not something you can skip as an assignment. It is the very essence of the way history is viewed in this book through a literal Biblical view. Here's a suggestion: order the book and determine for yourself whether you can utilize it for your family and if not, then return it for a full refund. Problem solved. No need to even discuss my understanding of your beliefs.