Menu

Upcoming 8th grade & poor math scores

I got my DD's ITBS scores back and she scored a really low % in math. We have been using Saxon, which she hated, and we are switching to BJU with homesat for fall. I had planned pre-alg for her, but now I am wondering if I should have her do the fundamentals of math instead in order to cover any missed concepts? The problem with this is that means she would be doing pre-alg in 9th, Alg 1 in 10th and so on.

Not sure what to do.

That can help tremendously with higher scores! Is this the first time the test was taken? Did dd do a test prep book? Did you talk about pacing and how to work the test to get the best score?

We did these things first time my ds took the ITBS at the end of 7th grade. He did well on the test. We also did these things when he took the High School Placement Test for entrance to Catholic High School. We spent about 4 weeks test prepping for the HSPT.

I think BJU pre-alg reviews all basic math skills. Look at the TOC to be sure.

my dd 12 scores high in almost all areas. Math has ALWAYS been her weak spot.

2 months ago I started mathusee. It's made a world of difference.

she's in 7th/8th grade but I started her math back at multiplication. She spent so many years avoiding math like the plague. She just didn't 'get it'. So far she doing well. I plan to get through all the elem math up thhrough pre algebra in a year.

I think they have a free demo on the site. you may want to take a look.

hth

L

I thought BJU Pre-Algebra moved really fast, and it covered a lot of things that weren't really *necessary* for Pre-Algebra. (I was glad we did them, as I think it will help those things click faster the next time we see them - but they weren't necessary for Algebra, if that makes sense.)

I'm not one to offer advice, since we'll just be starting Algebra next year. But, from what I've read Pre-Algebra isn't really a requirement for Algebra. So, I don't think you would need to take Pre-Algebra at all if you did decide to spend next year honing up on basic math skills (say, with Lial's BCM?) - but you could just jump right in with Algebra in 9th.

hth,

Rhonda

I got my DD's ITBS scores back and she scored a really low % in math. We have been using Saxon, which she hated, and we are switching to BJU with homesat for fall. I had planned pre-alg for her, but now I am wondering if I should have her do the fundamentals of math instead in order to cover any missed concepts? The problem with this is that means she would be doing pre-alg in 9th, Alg 1 in 10th and so on.

Not sure what to do.

specifically which areas were trouble areas? Depending on those particular areas, you could have her work on fundamentals of math over the summer. Lial's Basic College Math does cover the fundamentals---percentages, fractions, decimals, some pre-algebra. I wish it covered more pre-algebra, personally, as sometimes I think that's where we went wrong with math. All of the Lial's books have a pre-test, I believe, to help place your child. Without you having to buy an entire Lial's book just to have her take the pre-test, I could photocopy the test and the answers for the test and send them to you via snail-mail, if you'd like. Maybe that would help with placement? If you're interested, just send me a PM and I'll get them sent off to you!

Also, we've enjoyed the Chalkdust DVD's with Dana Mosely; we're doing geometry right now. His teaching is excellent and, for the most part, fairly thorough. You might look at his pre-algebra program to see which concepts are covered; or also look at his basic math to see which concepts are covered there.

Also, I noticed this Assessment Test Request on Chalkdust's website, up through pre-algebra only, it appears. It sounds like you pay $16.00 for them to pre-test your child, and you receive a $10.00 refund if you decide to place an order with Chalkdust.

My girls did not do well with Saxon and had a difficult time testing after that. Obviously, some people do very well with Saxon; I think it depends upon the child and perhaps on the length of time they've used Saxon. We switched to Lial's after that. Math is still not their strongest subject, but they have done better. I tend to prefer the Lial's texts over Chalkdust's texts (I've only seen the geometry and algebra, though). I did like what I saw for their pre-algebra, however.

HTH---feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions!

I'd try a quick review to find out whether or not she understands the fundamental concepts and decide what areas need more work. Could it be that she understands but works slowly and doesn't have a chance to demonstrate what she knows on a timed test?

Also, it may not be necessary to spend a whole year on review before moving into pre-algebra. FWIW, when my son started doing prep for the PSAT, one of the things we were told was that a lot of the math errors on some of the more complicated problems are caused by forgetting basic facts. What you don't uses in math gets lost pretty quickly.

Another plug for Lial's BCM. It really covers all the basics. My dd used it for pre-algebra this year. Lial's is nicely laid out, imo, so that it's easy to just do the review questions for each chapter in order to see which concepts the student needs work on. Then, you can just review the weaker areas, and not waste time on stuff the student already "gets".

If I understand your OP, your daughter is entering 8th grade? She could review and do the pre-algebra in 8th, and then be doing Algebra 1 in 9th, which seems really acceptable to me. That would take her through trig in high school.

Good luck in whatever you decide, Jackie

I am normally a lurker but, i wanted to reply to this post. My ds is using Lial's BCM through the summer as a review and pre algebra course. So far this is working well.

He will be going into 9th grade next year and we're hoping he'll be ready for Algebra by the second semester.

Blessings,

Mel

I thought BJU Pre-Algebra moved really fast, and it covered a lot of things that weren't really *necessary* for Pre-Algebra. (I was glad we did them, as I think it will help those things click faster the next time we see them - but they weren't necessary for Algebra, if that makes sense.)

I'm not one to offer advice, since we'll just be starting Algebra next year. But, from what I've read Pre-Algebra isn't really a requirement for Algebra. So, I don't think you would need to take Pre-Algebra at all if you did decide to spend next year honing up on basic math skills (say, with Lial's BCM?) - but you could just jump right in with Algebra in 9th.

hth,

Rhonda

You could try ALEKS for the summer. It will test her and tutor her in her weak areas. My dd has been doing ALEKS with her math program for a year now. I recently asked her if she wanted to take a break and she said it was fun and she wanted to continue.

God bless,

Vicki

We used Saxon through most of 7/6 and then switched to Chalkdust. However, my ds is really strong in math, and was always at least two years "ahead" when he used Saxon. I liked Saxon, but I do think in order for it be where it needs to be one must work at least one grade ahead (so in Grade 3 do Saxon 5/4). We have some out-of-state friends whose children go to a private school, and it uses Saxon one grade ahead. One other issue, I think, is that this year for us Arkies, only the problem-solving and data interpretationsections were done on the ITBS. I think Saxon is more computation oriented, though I do think their data interpretation is pretty solid. At any rate, it may just be that your dc hasn't had enough exposure to word problems.

Just my $0.02

Cynthia,

Thaks makes sense @ the test. I didn't realise it was only part of the math and not a more invovled test.

I do want to stick with BJU because I have the homesat. I might use Aleks over the summer and then move her into Pre-Alg in the fall. if we didn't choose BJU we would probably be doing chalkdust too.

He did Saxon for 3 years, which hopelessly confused him. Then we started with BJU in 8th grade. I started him in BJU Pre-alg because he was "supposed" to be doing Pre-alg that year. I wish now that I had done the Fundamentals of Math book (BJU 7th grade book) with him instead.

We are finishing up 8th grade now, but he is NOT finished with the Pre-alg book. It has been really hard for him. It does cover the basics, but kind of with new twists to make them think. He needed just the basics. He is doing Alek's now as well as slowly moving through the Pre-alg book.

He needed the Fundamentals book, and I wish now that he had done that this past year. Me trying to push him ahead definitely did not work. The basics are still not solid with him. He will start Algebra when they are solid, and I don't know when that will be at this point. Sometime during his 9th grade year - maybe January. Even with starting Algebra that late, he can still do enough high school math if he works through summers (I think/hope).

The worst part of me pushing ahead is that he has lost his confidence. He is of course old enough now to realize that he is not where he should be and thinks he is "no good" at math. It is my fault really, and I told him that. The basics are not solid because of the choices I made - not because of him.

I would say start with Fundamentals, and if it goes quickly - then your dd will have that much more confidence. And you know the foundation will be solid.

Well, at least my younger dc benefit from the mistakes I make with my eldest, the unfortunate guinea pig in my homeschooling endeavors. :001_smile:

You could try ALEKS for the summer. It will test her and tutor her in her weak areas. My dd has been doing ALEKS with her math program for a year now. I recently asked her if she wanted to take a break and she said it was fun and she wanted to continue.

God bless,

Vicki

I ditto this. My son's score is low on math also. We used Saxon. I also have heard that alot of Saxon students didn't do well on ITBS. My son is doing Aleks math this summer and it really is working. There is a free trial coupon that I can send you if you are interested. You can try it for one month free then decide if you want to purchase a month worth or 6 months worth or 12 month worth. It is well worth the money imo.

Then we will start on Lial's BCM in July with Aleks as supplement.

I highly recommend Aleks and Lial's BCM. After Lial's BCM we are planning on going straight to Chalkdust Algebra. (The Chalkdust pre-algebra has the same content as Lial's BCM.)

Holly

I ditto this. My son's score is low on math also. We used Saxon. I also have heard that alot of Saxon students didn't do well on ITBS. My son is doing Aleks math this summer and it really is working. There is a free trial coupon that I can send you if you are interested. You can try it for one month free then decide if you want to purchase a month worth or 6 months worth or 12 month worth. It is well worth the money imo.

Then we will start on Lial's BCM in July with Aleks as supplement.

I highly recommend Aleks and Lial's BCM. After Lial's BCM we are planning on going straight to Chalkdust Algebra. (The Chalkdust pre-algebra has the same content as Lial's BCM.)

Holly

I would like the coupon if you don't mind. Thanks!

Not sure what to do.

I was in this same position 2 years ago! My ds hated Saxon and did poorly on his math tests. I went ahead and ordered the next grade with BJU because a trusted friend reassured me that there was plenty of review. We found the review in BJU to be sufficeint for him to move forward. We also found that he responded very well to the way BJU is laid out and is now excelling in math!

I was in this same position 2 years ago! My ds hated Saxon and did poorly on his math tests. I went ahead and ordered the next grade with BJU because a trusted friend reassured me that there was plenty of review. We found the review in BJU to be sufficeint for him to move forward. We also found that he responded very well to the way BJU is laid out and is now excelling in math!

Thank you, that is very encouraging!!!

Just another thought. What if you did fundamentals this year or BCM and next year did Video Text - It covers Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 and 2 in about two years. That way she would not lose a whole year on pre-algebra.

I might look into other programs if her scores don't improve with the BJU.

• 2 weeks later...
:confused: :confused: Would someone please translate: ALEKS

and Lial's BCM ?? Thanks so much....Mindy

Lial's BCM = Basic College Math by Margaret Lial et al. Be forewarned: this is not college math. This remedial text covers arithmetic, basic applied geometry, some pre-algebra type skills.

ALEKS is an online service to which some people subscribe in order to supplement their mathematics programs. There is a monthly fee to use ALEKS.

Hope that helps.

Jane

Jean - i have my 12yo doing Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals, then moving into BJU Pre-Alg. I just got the books last night from a friend, and i'm actually shocked at how much they overlap. Enough now that i'm back to wondering if she would be ready to jump into Algebra.

Do you know what she struggles with? Would the LOF books help her review? Maybe the slightly different approach would help. I catch DD over there laughing while doing them - and she grabs them FIRST in the morning (Ok, just one week into it - humor me, math never happens here first). And, and $20 a book - well, gee, it's cheap! LOL!!

I will say she doesn't struggle with math, so that helps.

I'm going to go thru them some more and see how they compare more.... i may be skipping around in Pre-Algebra i think...

There are LOTS of threads on Fred here :D (it's how i found him ;))

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html

The author was very nice when i emailed him, he said that as long as the sun is out - DD could call him with any questions! I ordered the books from him (Rainbow Resource is selling them now), and they are autographed - impressed her! LOL!!

Anyway, she's been bored in math for awhile and this is a change, and i figure she will be more than ready to jump into whatever book i decide. IT's been a struggle - but since we got Homesat i'm going to try the BJU stuff since it's a lot less of an investment for me than Videotext was going to be.

Maybe you could start with that?

Also, do you have a test prep book for the ITBS test? Maybe you could have her work on that, and it would help you diagnose the specific areas of difficulty. If it turns out that it's mainly a test taking skills issue, for instance, your response should be quite different than if it's a misunderstanding of fractions problem for example.

I had to REread your post LOL. I wasn't sure if I should get her the decimals and fraction books or start with their beginning algebra program.

LOL!! And here i overall thought you had the "lightening bolt" solution. :D

OK. And, if you email Stan he will give you some guidance in that area too. He's in Reno - you can still hit his "daylight" rule and might get an answer today. I"d lay out what she has done, what you think her struggles are and what the test results show.

I haven't had a quiet moment to go thru the books yet and compare topics, 45 minutes till the biggest whiner of the day goes to bed..... then i can think!

HI,

I'm assuming that you would place your dd in BJU's 7th grade math? It is indeed a very good pre-algebra book. It covers all of the basics (fractions, decimals, percents) and there are also pre-algebra concepts such as using variables, setting up algebraic word problems, negative numbers, and more. I think if the student thoroughly learns the material well in this book then she would be ready for ALgebra I. In fact I know of some moms who have had their students go from BJU 6th grade math into Keys to Algebra and then Algebra 1. My dd will be in 8th grade next year, but we haven't finished the BJU 7th grade book yet. I'm thiking of finishing it next year and then moving her into Algebra 1. She'll probably finish up Algebra 1 during her 9th grade year, but we'll take it slow and easy.

HTH,

Jan P.