Menu

Where to buy paper? (not copy paper)

I've searched her, but didn't come up with an answer...

Where do you buy your paper? Specifically elementary level lined paper (with the dots), construction paper, drawing paper (even if its newsprint) etc. We go through so much of it here not HSng and now that we are HSng I only see needing more. Where are your favorite places?

Any kind of art paper/construction paper, we buy at the dollar store or Michael's (or similar craft supply stores) with those 40% off coupons. We also also ask for those kinds of things for birthdays and Christmas--they're perfect for the people on our list who want to buy gifts but can't spend much.

As for lined paper, we actually haven't really bought any (we have a huge stack of hand-me-down HWOT paper), but I've seen it in pretty much every general or school supply-carrying store--Target, Walmart, Lakeshore Learning, etc. I don't know who would have the best prices though.

I love the HWT paper for writing, and use only Pacon construction paper.

I buy the HWT paper from HWT directly or Rainbow Resource (or you can pick some up at a local homeschool convention if HWT has a table). I order the construction paper from Dick Blick with a % off coupon when I make my yearly art order.

Newsprint I get in a roll from Ikea or an end roll from the local newspaper.

What I still haven't found is high-quality index cards. I can't believe how paper thin they are these days.

I bought the handwriting paper (with the dotted lines) from Miller Pads and Paper. I usually stocked up at our annual homeschool conference. I also would get drawing paper from them, but I also bought from Dick Blick for some of their more serious art needs. Now that my kids are older, we don't use handwriting paper, but just lined filler paper that we get from Target during the "back to school" sales.

What I still haven't found is high-quality index cards. I can't believe how paper thin they are these days.

THANK YOU!!!!! I recently spend SO MUCH money trying to find thick, sturdy index cards for making Latin flash cards. You can see through to the other side of every single brand! I couldn't believe that even the Oxford brand ones were so crummy. I'm still really mad about it :glare: (possibly unreasonably so :lol: but I still need to make those darn flash cards!)

The Teacher supply store in town. Staples used to carry it, but they recently made a decision not to anymore. Target and Walmart have it at back to school time, but I haven't been able to find it there other than seasonally. We go through a lot too, and if you don't have a teacher supply store in your area, I would probably order a ream through Zaner-Bloser. You shouldn't need more than 500 sheets per grade level unless you have prolific writer. ;)

I buy watercolor paper from Michaels with a coupon.

Lined paper comes from either a local teacher supply store or Rainbow Resource. The problem with ordering it online is determining just how the sizing will be. I know they give the size, but it was still bigger than I expected.

I bought construction paper from Costco about 5 years ago. :lol: I topped it off with extra colors from the Miller paper booth at the hs convention.

THANK YOU!!!!! I recently spend SO MUCH money trying to find thick, sturdy index cards for making Latin flash cards. You can see through to the other side of every single brand! I couldn't believe that even the Oxford brand ones were so crummy. I'm still really mad about it :glare: (possibly unreasonably so :lol: but I still need to make those darn flash cards!)

Someone gave us cards from Crane Paper. They were index card size, but I don't think they were lined. I loved them!!! (but I was too cheap to buy more when they ran out).

In the teacher/school supply section at Staples, they have blank "Make Your-Own" flashcards by http://www.trendenterprises.com hanging alongside the addition, subtraction etc. cards. They are thicker than the index cards.

Someone gave us cards from Crane Paper. They were index card size, but I don't think they were lined. I loved them!!! (but I was too cheap to buy more when they ran out).

Thank you both, I'll check both options out!