Menu

Good Neighborhood School vs. Higher Rated Magnet School

I am trying to decide where to send my son to K next year. Our neighborhood school is 5 blocks away and is a good school (California API score of 880) with 300 students. We entered a lottery for a Magnet School five miles away that is a fantastic school (California API score of 940) that has 590 students. I just got a letter that he got in (there are 100 k spots and around 250 to 300 people apply every year and about 50 of the K spots go to siblings).

I like the idea of the neighborhood school because he would meet kids nearby but because it is small it has a lot of split classes and I am afraid there won't be as much academic enrichment. It also doesn't have morning care and there is no guarantee that he will get AM kindergarten so he could go to the afterschool program. If he doesn't get the AM kindergarten class I would have to find a neighbor who could watch him in the mornings. The school told me they wouldn't decide the classes until August.

The magnet school has no split classes and there is always a waiting list to enter. Almost all the parents have a high level of education and cared enough about their child's education to figure out how to enter a lottery in January for the upcoming school year (if you don't apply for the lottery in January you can't attend the school). There is before and after care. My son is already reading and is about to start SM 1A. I would think that there has to be other students who are reading at this school in kindergarten so perhaps they might do something additional with those students. Both schools use Everyday Math but the Magnet school has been using it for 15 years while the neighborhood school is only in its second year of implementing it.

I wish I could send him to the neighborhood school for k-2 and then switch him but there is no guarantee he would get in again. Now that he is in his little brother is guaranteed a spot too in a couple of years.

Anyone have any experience commuting to a better school and giving up the neighborhood school? Any regrets?

Edited by Nart

I'd be looking at this from the perspective of which would be the best fit academically. We live in an area with a supposedly excellent neighborhood school (indeed, that's why we moved here) but my kids attend a charter school instead, simply because it's a better fit for them - a traditional-style classroom would be a disaster for at least one of them, if not all (they have disparate strengths and weaknesses).

Since I have a large bee in my bonnet about math, I'd ask whether the magnet is doing anything with math in addition to Everyday Math, which would have me gagging and running away in any event. Some schools might use it effectively; a great many apparently do not.

If there is an opportunity to observe in the classroom, I'd definitely do that. Also, I'd speak with other parents if possible.

Since I have a large bee in my bonnet about math, I'd ask whether the magnet is doing anything with math in addition to Everyday Math, which would have me gagging and running away in any event. Some schools might use it effectively; a great many apparently do not.

If there is an opportunity to observe in the classroom, I'd definitely do that. Also, I'd speak with other parents if possible.

Both schools use Everyday Math. I plan on continuing to afterschool with SM/Miquon and perhaps AOPS Beast Academy. We are touring the Magnet school on Tuesday morning. I was thinking if he attends the more rigorous Magnet school there might be more busywork homework that would interfere with afterschooling.

Zoned public didn't allow us to meet anyone in the neighborhood -most students are cliqued before preschool or move into the area with a group that they stick with and the vast majority are in daycare pre and post school hours. They cannot come over to play unless a lot of paperwork is done & you provide transportation and a daycare won't let your child come in and play with a friend.

I work so I haven't met families in the neighborhood. I was thinking if he went to the neighborhood school we might meet some families but that is a good point about after and before school care. Since he will be going to afterschool care I probably won't meet many neighbors since he can't do playdates during the week.

I would try a magnet school. If you don't like it, or if it doesn't live up to expectations, you can always enroll him in the public school next door. However, if you become disappointed in a public school, you might not be able to get a slot at a magnet again.

You said parents at the magnet school generally have higher education. I would always gravitate toward that, given a choice.

Good luck!

And yes, ask if there is a differentiation in the classrooms. We have an "excellent" elementary school, but there is no such thing as placing kids by ability. There is some differentiation on a homework level, but the school is simply not set up to do anything else. If your child is advanced, this one factor should weight in your decision.

I would try a magnet school. If you don't like it, or if it doesn't live up to expectations, you can always enroll him in the public school next door. However, if you become disappointed in a public school, you might not be able to get a slot at a magnet again.

You said parents at the magnet school generally have higher education. I would always gravitate toward that, given a choice.

Good luck!

And yes, ask if there is a differentiation in the classrooms. We have an "excellent" elementary school, but there is no such thing as placing kids by ability. There is some differentiation on a homework level, but the school is simply not set up to do anything else. If your child is advanced, this one factor should weight in your decision.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: You can change your mind if you don't like the magnet school. You can't really go back if you try the public school first.

Good luck!

:iagree: You can always go to the neighborhood school, but you can't always go to the magnet. Sounds like the magnet would also be a better academic fit. We sent our kids to a district school that was not our neighborhood school (but very sought after) and it was a great decision. We don't really have many neighborhood kids anyway, but this also allowed us more control over who they hung out with and we got to know the families of their friends much better.

My son is attending a charter this year for 5th because he got a spot. We haven't been thrilled so he will go to the neighborhood middle school next year. At least this way we got to try instead of wondering if that school would have been better.

Almost all the parents have a high level of education and cared enough about their child's education to figure out how to enter a lottery in January for the upcoming school year.

Do not underestimate how much of a difference this can make. Really.

As PP's have said, you can always go magnet-->neighborhood, but the opposite is not the case. Start at the magnet. You can meet local kids in church, summer activities, scouts, sports, and other extracurriculars. And you can set up playdates with the magnet kids too. Obviously they may be a bit less spontaneous and involve more driving, but the other families will be in the same boat and motivated to make it work.

Parent involvement and a sense of school community can be crucial - but that doesn't have to mean the actual community you live in. The parents you described for the magnet school sound likely to set up a good school environment. I don't know anything about the neighborhood parents. Do you already know them, or were you planning to get more involved in your neighborhood through school interactions?

:confused: It's the afterschooling board - there are questions like this all the time.

I would probably choose the magnet. Five miles is not very far and it sounds like a better fit logistically.

If those are the only two choices, I'd go with the magnet, as it sounds like a better school. And it would be easy to drop back from the magnet to the other school, which HAS to take you. However, the child may never get into the magnet again, if you reject it now.

But I personally think homeschooling is better for the early years and I/we fit the criteria of the parents at the magnet school.

ETA: Just noticed this is the "afterschooling" board, so please disregard previous comment, as that is probably irrelevant here.

Edited by TranquilMind

Parent involvement and a sense of school community can be crucial - but that doesn't have to mean the actual community you live in. The parents you described for the magnet school sound likely to set up a good school environment. I don't know anything about the neighborhood parents. Do you already know them, or were you planning to get more involved in your neighborhood through school interactions?

I was hoping to meet families in the neighborhood by having him attend the neighborhood school. I see lots of kids walking by our house on the way to school and it would be nice to be able to walk or ride bikes to school. He was in AYSO fall soccer and the practices were on the neighborhood school field. When we walked to the practices we passed by the kinder yard and my son would point and say that he was going to play there when he was a big boy. Hopefully we will meet other parents in the neighborhood through sports or other activities.

be prepared that if your son is starting Singapore 1A now that he'll be breezing through Everyday Math kindy. I would definitely inquire about what extra enrichment they offer for readers as well.

I have been repeatedly warned about Everyday Math by my brother who is still livid that he paid over 15,000 per kid for a private school that used Everyday Math for elementary school (they loved everything else about the private school). On top of the tuition he ended up sending his boys to a Kumon Center for over three years. He encouraged me to sign up my son for the Kumon Center a few months ago when I told him my school district uses Everyday Math (he even gave me the first month's tuition). My son finished Right Start A and MEP reception before beginning Kumon (we also have been doing Miquon and SM Kinder B). I am now a big believer in Kumon and will probably have him continue going to Kumon for the enrichment and we will keep using SM too (we will see about Beast Academy).

Good luck!

I don't have hope that either school will really differentiate in the lower grades. Since No Child Left Behind the emphasis has been on getting as many kids as possible to test proficient. Kids who already score proficient or advanced are now being left behind. My husband and I are taking a tour tomorrow so I will ask what they do with kids who can read in kinder.

Thanks everyone who pointed out that we can always go back to our home school but can't start at the Charter whenever we want. I do feel fortunate that we have two good choices. We have friends whose neighborhood schools are terrible and are on the waiting list for the magnet school.

In the magnet schools I've seen, there was generally a very strong focus in a particular area of academics...not exactly high performance across the board sort of focus, but one skill in particular.

Did you see on the tour what their magnet or "focus" of study was?

My husband and I toured the magnet school today and decided to enroll our son. We liked that in the kinder class that we saw the kids were all on task and well behaved. Kinder is half day and there is almost an hour a day of center time where they give kids free choice to build with blocks, write, read, color, etc. in small groups in order to encourage socialization. An hour a day is for language arts and the principal said the kids are grouped by ability so kids who read are in one group and kids still working on learning letters are in another group. I saw a couple of journal papers on the teacher's desk that looked like a couple of kids had written what they did over the long weekend and those kids wrote three or four original sentences that were what you would expect a first or second grader to write.

The school is the highest scoring in the District so they have no plans to lengthen the kinder day, which means more time for afterschooling. The magnet is a math magnet, which sounds great BUT they use Everyday Math. I am trying to stay positive about EverydayMath. I am hoping that since they have implemented it for 15 years the teachers are experienced and comfortable using it. There test scores in math are really high, but it is probably due to either the parents or teachers supplementing. Perhaps the bright side of it is that maybe he won't be bored at school in math since he will learn the traditional math algorithms at home and can learn lots of alternative ways to solve problems at school. It has to be worse for a child who is advanced in math to be made to do page after page of worksheets below his or her level at school.

Edited by Nart

My husband and I toured the magnet school today and decided to enroll our son. We liked that in the kinder class that we saw the kids were all on task and well behaved. Kinder is half day and there is almost an hour a day of center time where they give kids free choice to build with blocks, write, read, color, etc. in small groups in order to encourage socialization. An hour a day is for language arts and the principal said the kids are grouped by ability so kids who read are in one group and kids still working on learning letters are in another group. I saw a couple of journal papers on the teacher's desk that looked like a couple of kids had written what they did over the long weekend and those kids wrote three or four original sentences that were what you would expect a first or second grader to write.

The school is the highest scoring in the District so they have no plans to lengthen the kinder day, which means more time for afterschooling. The magnet is a math magnet, which sounds great BUT they use Everyday Math. I am trying to stay positive about EverydayMath. I am hoping that since they have implemented it for 15 years the teachers are experienced and comfortable using it. There test scores in math are really high, but it is probably due to either the parents or teachers supplementing. Perhaps the bright side of it is that maybe he won't be bored at school in math since he will learn the traditional math algorithms at home and can learn lots of alternative ways to solve problems at school. It has to be worse for a child who is advanced in math to be made to do page after page of worksheets below his or her level at school.

That sounds great. I love our half day kindergarten.

Christine

Nart, you might want to ask around also about the variety, names, and schedules for testing at the magnet, they may go well above and beyond the state level testing.

I've seen this done before. Many times, in order to qualify for grants, funding, or under special arrangements through the state or sponsoring underwriters, they will administer many more testing dates than are generally found in a PS setting. It's through those tests that they fulfill requirements and create a percentage of passing/excelling portfolios to apply for things or meet qualifications.

If you do find that they implement a boatload of testing, don't worry about it, it's actually a fortunate situation and beneficial for you as a parent. In those types of schools, I never found that they were focusing on testing skills vs. actual knowledge work.

In generalized PS, I've found that the test trumps instruction time, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms and reasons.

Nart, you might want to ask around also about the variety, names, and schedules for testing at the magnet, they may go well above and beyond the state level testing.

In generalized PS, I've found that the test trumps instruction time, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms and reasons.

No extra testing, just gifted testing in second or third grade. I thought that when I went in for the tour that they were going to go on and on about how great Everyday Math is and that is why they are successful. Instead the principal went on and on about how the parents make the school special because they are motivated and want their kids to be successful in school.

I'm glad you liked the magnet, it sounds like a great choice for you.

Where I live, the neighborhood school was a better social/academic fit for us than any of the charters in our area. It's been nice socially in *some* of the ways you mentioned, but I don't think you should feel any regrets about going elsewhere. Our very nearest neighbor kids go to other schools for various reasons. There are also a lot of families who drive to our school from other areas, so it turns out some of my daughter's friends don't live nearby after all. Finally, a lot of parents work full time, so it's not as though all the neighborhood kids are hanging out and playing together every afternoon, despite mostly living near each other.

I also think it's good for kids to have a few friends who don't go to their school, just so they don't end up feeling like their social situation at school is all-encompassing. Going to the magnet and trying to meet some neighborhood kids too (maybe through sports, scouts, or some other local extracurricular) seems like a nice way to make that happen.