Menu

You're kidding, right??

lexi

What do you do if you have people that are chemical sensitive/allergic AND people with food allergies? Sheesh, this can get complicated!

I am allergic to many foods and all soap except Ivory.

At home, I was with Ivory soap and water.

Away from home, I scrub for an extra long time with plain water and wipe my hands dry vigorously.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor baby! I took a peek at your blog and discovered that she's allergic to so much stuff. Wow!

No advice or anything. Just big ol' hugs!

Same here!:group hug:

Did you know that children with eczema and food allergies sometimes develop asthma? :(

We went through eczema and food allergies, then asthma presented. blah

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090518213939.htm

Same here!:group hug:

Did you know that children with eczema and food allergies sometimes develop asthma? :(

We went through eczema and food allergies, then asthma presented. blah

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090518213939.htm

Yup. I'm a peds nurse and it's a common "triad" to see a child be admitted with asthma exacerbation and have a history of eczema and food allergies. It's the first question I ask when I get a new onset asthma. "Does kidlet have any allergies? Have you had them tested?"

Yup. I'm a peds nurse and it's a common "triad" to see a child be admitted with asthma exacerbation and have a history of eczema and food allergies. It's the first question I ask when I get a new onset asthma. "Does kidlet have any allergies? Have you had them tested?"

Yep. When my dd was 8 months old we gave her hummus. Her face immediately swelled. It turns out she is deathly allergic to sesame (tahini paste is sesame paste and a major ingredient in hummus). She also had severe eczema (her dr said it was the worst her had seen in a baby). When we took her to the allergist he said right off that with such severe symptoms this young she was almost guaranteed to get asthma. It was good we caught her food allergies so young, but it's also kind of hard to hear a dr predict additional long term problems.

I didn't finish reading all the replys so maybe it has already been covered, but here is what we do to keep our daughter safe.

Where ever she goes she as her allergy bag with her that contains her epi pen, benedryl and benedry cream. It also has cards or print outs with a picture of her, a list of her allergies, spelling it out so not just kernals of corn but corn starch, corn powder, dextrose, etc...... eggs in all forms, Then it lists an action plan if one of these items are ingested or come in contact with her skin. Next we give pointers to keep her safe. Last we thank people for their efforts too keep her safe and healthy.

This has really been helpful.

I will say though that until she was 8 I never let her go anywhere without a family memeber there with her that could read and determine if the foods were safe. Also we ran into other allergy parents who insisted on providing all snack for all events due to their child's allergies, which I get. HOWEVER, her dd's safe foods were my dd's unsafe foods. (my dd is allergic to rice, corn, egg, msg, nuts, peanuts, etc....)

Yes I think a two hour coop should be able to go without snack.

One year we just created our own coop/gathering.

Kimberly

I'm not sure that it's even worth replying....but since you quoted me, I'm assuming you are referring to me. I didn't say those words to that mom. I only thought them....for like 3 seconds. I like that woman. I have no problems with her. I thought it a bit comical almost that she never would have thought about such a thing. She did make another comment immediately afterwards that I found a bit irritating too....but, I know she didn't say it to spite us...or was chosing to be mean (in fact, she wasn't mean). In this situation, the kids all sit at the same large table, each with a cassette player and headphones, and they eat pb&j sandwiches while listening. They would come back again later and sit at any audio of their choice and listen again. So, this was a problem with a peanut allergic child in the room. It seemed odd to me that the lady wouldn't have even dreamed that possibly some pb could be on the audio buttons or the headphones. Yes....I know it wasn't on her radar so she didn't think about it. It was just one of those slight eye roll moments. Since there are "sides"....I can say that I definitely have been on the non-allergic side longer than the allergic side. I didn't even know there were food allergies until 16 years ago and I am 44. So, I definitely "get" not thinking about it when you don't have to worry about it. I only mentioned my surprise at the library incident to show some sort of sympathy to Lexi.

Oh, and by the way....this is said in a nice way...just trying to explain myself a little better. I'm not yelling at you. :001_smile:

Sorry, I meant to put something in my post to assure you that I wasn't being sarcastic or condescending. I was just trying to state the reality of a LOT of people. For me to have been around as many kids as I have and NOT to have encountered severe allergies (which still kind of amazes me a little considering how prevalent they are on this board) I just wanted to state that some of us truly are ignorant about what it takes to live like you do. I didn't mean in any way that you're (as in all parents of allergic kids) wrong to desire some protection for your kids, but just to share that there truly are people who haven't encountered these issues.

Glad we clarified the fact that we're both being nice :D

Edited by connib

I know how you feel. My youngest son is 3 and has severe anaphylaxis allergies to milk, soy, eggs and peanuts. It is is stressful to go anywhere. For us, the peanut one is his most severe and he cannot be in the same room as someone eating nuts/ peanut butter. We've been going to a homeschool group for a few years, I've volunteered in taking a class the past year. Our group does other things like weekly skating in the winter which dont involve food, and moms night outs, as well as field trips, but in the spring and fall we have a weekly month long session of co-op from 9-12, which involves snack. Last year we learned of his allergies and basically his class that I volunteer in went from originally being declared peanut free, after I told them my problem, to them asking me at the last minute if I could just take my skn out of the room for craft time because they were doing a peanut butter CRAFT!!! :001_huh: Yep 25 3-6 yr olds smearing peanut butter on pine comes and sprinkling with birdseed, my kid is not going to be entering the building! :confused: I had to drop out of the fall session, which I so looked forward to going to, as well as the kids. I ended up sending my oldest along with my good friend. I'm hoping we'll be able to attend the spring session once the new program organizer gets some more experience, I'm hoping she'll work with me on this. All I'm asking is for his class to be peanut free, they eat at the same table as they play, color and craft at. Kids smearing peanut butter on the tables is just not smart IMO, in this day of rampant food allergies.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I haven't read all the replies, but I could have written parts of your original post. It's hard to give our kiddos with LTFAs a normal life. So much of our society revolves around food, and it's hard to convince people that we don't have to have a snack at every gathering.

We don't do co-op here. For the food reason. Kiddo's allergies are too severe for that, and it doesn't take much of a slip up for him to react - if someone eats the wrong breakfast, and dribbles a few minuscule crumbs on a shirt... That's all it takes, if kiddo breathes in the wrong particle. If we don't end up with anaphylaxis (which has happened in the past, unfortunately, from air borne allergens) or hives... there are the asthma attacks triggered by allergens.

It's not worth it, and while I am a good advocate for him, I am not good at policing all the parents who only see my child rarely. It doesn't help that I generally feel out of place for religious (or in my case, non-religious) reasons, either.

One safe place we've found, that's always fairly food-free: swimming lessons. We have a great local indoor swim park, and often sign up for homeschool swimming sessions. No food. It's wonderful! But... DS is now reacting badly to chlorine, aaacck! So that's out for the time being, till we figure out this latest reaction.

:grouphug: Wish we lived close together and could meet up for some food free learning and play!

Yep. When my dd was 8 months old we gave her hummus. Her face immediately swelled. It turns out she is deathly allergic to sesame (tahini paste is sesame paste and a major ingredient in hummus). She also had severe eczema (her dr said it was the worst her had seen in a baby). When we took her to the allergist he said right off that with such severe symptoms this young she was almost guaranteed to get asthma. It was good we caught her food allergies so young, but it's also kind of hard to hear a dr predict additional long term problems.

Occasionally, we'll see a baby with eczema come in with their first asthma exacerbation, but kid is still on formula or whatnot. I always tell the parents to get their kid to an allergist before they start table foods. I always have this terrible thought in the back of my head of feeding a kid table food for the first time and it triggering an anaphylaxis episode with the parents completely unprepared and blindsided.

Oh my goodness! I just peeked at your blog! Our kiddos have almost identical allergies! Wow.

And here I thought we were the only ones with a list a mile long... It's nice not to be alone.

Sorry you are dealing with it all, but hopeful that we will both soon have good news to report... Soon, being relative to the food allergy world, of course.

My kiddo is going to be doing food challenges for banana and coconut soon. He's 8. We are nervous, but cautiously hopeful that we might add in those 2 foods. Want me to keep you posted?

I definitely think a 2-hour activity could skip the snack :rolleyes:

However, it's very difficult to change the culture of an established group. It's easier in the long run to start something new (if a food-free group isn't available), and have everyone aware of the rules from the get-go. And I do think food-free is the way to go, because people are going to slip up, they just are, and at some point there's going to be a kid with conflicting allergies, who can't eat what your daughter CAN eat.

I will confess to being one of 'those people' - you know, the people who forget again and again and AGAIN who has what allergies. I've even been known to slip up and offer peanut butter crackers to my dds' very best friend, whose mom is my very best friend, and whom we've known for eight years. Can I explain it? No, I can't, but I can promise you it's not because I don't care about her. I think perhaps because she has always been able to advocate for herself (since we met her at 5), and she's not had a bad reaction in all that time (and never one that we've seen), it just isn't at the forefront of my mind. And I don't know how to force it there, kwim?

I definitely think a 2-hour activity could skip the snack :rolleyes:

However, it's very difficult to change the culture of an established group. It's easier in the long run to start something new (if a food-free group isn't available), and have everyone aware of the rules from the get-go. And I do think food-free is the way to go, because people are going to slip up, they just are, and at some point there's going to be a kid with conflicting allergies, who can't eat what your daughter CAN eat.

I will confess to being one of 'those people' - you know, the people who forget again and again and AGAIN who has what allergies. I've even been known to slip up and offer peanut butter crackers to my dds' very best friend, whose mom is my very best friend, and whom we've known for eight years. Can I explain it? No, I can't, but I can promise you it's not because I don't care about her. I think perhaps because she has always been able to advocate for herself (since we met her at 5), and she's not had a bad reaction in all that time (and never one that we've seen), it just isn't at the forefront of my mind. And I don't know how to force it there, kwim?

I agree with so much of this, only from an allergy-family POV.

It is hard to go in and change something that is established. Sure, two hours isn't a long time to go without food, but the OP may need to start something up or find a way to work with the group or accept that one hardship in life is not being a part of groups like this. I'm not suggesting that it is easy. (I still am wondering if any of the links I posted would be useful for a co-op. I genuinely have no clue because we have not been involved in one and do not plan to be. I don't have time or energy to start anything right now and we just find activities that don't involve food.)

And don't feel too badly about forgetting. I still have to check our own lists because I get them mixed up. I would never expect someone else to remember. :)

Sorry, I meant to put something in my post to assure you that I wasn't being sarcastic or condescending. I was just trying to state the reality of a LOT of people. For me to have been around as many kids as I have and NOT to have encountered severe allergies (which still kind of amazes me a little considering how prevalent they are on this board) I just wanted to state that some of us truly are ignorant about what it takes to live like you do. I didn't mean in any way that you're (as in all parents of allergic kids) wrong to desire some protection for your kids, but just to share that there truly are people who haven't encountered these issues.

Glad we clarified the fact that we're both being nice :D

Sorry I didn't get to reply back sooner (rough night in the ER....I have pneumonia :sad: ). Anyway I didn't want to not reply and have you think I was offended by you or something.

You know it really is pretty amazing that in all the years you've worked with kids you've never had a food allergic child in the mix.

May I ask about those that are against hand sanitizer, but would be willing to wash their hands well? (asking, because there are those that have concerns with such)

In the church we were in at that time, I could see a lot of people having big hissy fits over it this type of thing (not saying that is right or that I agree).

There are bathrooms right beside both of the main entrances, and I have seen people go in there and wash. They usually make a point of saying loudly to no one in particular that they are going to wash, so nobody gives them the stink eye from not sanitizing.

I have NEVER seen anyone have a fit about it. Even visitors are told "there are several people in our congregation who have some serious health challenges - to make this a safe place for them to worship, everyone who comes in has to sanitize their hands". Everyone is (at least outwardly) happy to comply.

I just wanted to point out that hand sanitizer does NOT get rid of any food protein that might be on your hand. Only soap and water does. Food is not like germs... it cannot be killed.

Hmmm. I wonder why the parents of these kids would have pushed for this, if it isn't effective?

I'd have to walk right back out the door, then. I'd be very careful to not eat peanuts before coming to church, if that was needed, but my hands react horribly to hand sanitizer. I don't want my kids slathering hand sanitizer on, either. We are soap-and-water people, and very clean. I'd think that would be church-worthy.

I was also wondering how alcohol deactivated peanut protein.

There are several people who always duck in the bathroom and wash their hands rather than sanitizing. That's church-worthy! :)

IMO, it is unreasonable to demand allergen-free zones in certain settings or to expect an entire church to use hand sanitizer.

But it really isn't "making" the entire church do it - it's something we are HAPPY to do to make the church a safe, welcoming place to worship! It's not just for the allergic kids - we have a lot of older people in the midst of radiation & so on whose immune systems are low. It makes church safer for them as well.

Hmmm. I wonder why the parents of these kids would have pushed for this, if it isn't effective?

Many are misinformed. I've had more difficult conversations with allergic families than non-allergic ones.

Sometimes the parents of allergic kids are not in a clear state of mind to understand that what they are pushing for is not the most helpful idea. Sometimes the diagnosis comes after a huge scare, frantic calls for help, watching a child go into distress, and then discovering that every meal now comes with label-reading, extra precautions, and oh, now we cannot eat half the things we used to and grocery shopping takes double the amount of time and people don't believe us and ... it's stressful at first. And I never stop learning. Regulations change, foods change, and on top of that, the allergy list changes every year. (Thankfully, we've outgrown some but one has gotten more severe.) :)

But it really isn't "making" the entire church do it - it's something we are HAPPY to do to make the church a safe, welcoming place to worship! It's not just for the allergic kids - we have a lot of older people in the midst of radiation & so on whose immune systems are low. It makes church safer for them as well.

From your initial post it sounded like people were being made to do something. You said if they don't, they are prompted to and you did not say anything about hand washing being an option. :) It sounded, from your initial post on this, that children were made to sanitize again at the classroom door.

I understand that your church seems happy to do it, but I do not want someone to think that I "expect" or would "make" someone do that on my behalf. It is an unreasonable expectation.

I do not "expect" special treatment at restaurants or public places. I expect my home to be as allergen-free as possible, for us to be ready for an emergency, and I am very happy whenever I find a place that tries to help people with allergies.

As someone who deals with weakened immune systems and food allergies, I could not be more grateful for people taking precautions for those who are in need.

May I ask, does the church still have a good emergency plan for accidental exposure to allergens?

Edited by Clairelise
hit submit too soon. One little word can make all the difference ...

I peeked at your blog, and I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. My niece has severe food and environmental allergies, and I am quite familiar with having to be careful about everything with which she comes in contact.

The poor child is allergic to grass, many types of trees/pollen, animal dander (they had to give away their puppy :(), and most synthetic fibers--meaning that her clothes have to be 100% cotton. SIL & BIL even had to remove all of the carpet from their home and use cotton slipcovers for most of their furniture and even the seats in the car. It has gotten a little better since she has grown older (she's 11 now), but when she was a preschooler, everywhere they went--church, homes of family & friends, they had to take a cotton blanket for her to sit on.

My niece is also allergic to many, many types of foods, including chicken, beef, pork, shellfish, potatoes, carrots, peanuts, legumes, tea, and that is all I can remember off the top of my head. Fortunately, she is able to eat wheat and dairy. It was a nightmare when she started school because teachers and administrators simply did not understand how detrimental it would be if she even touches some of these items. Again, the allergies have become less severe in recent years. She takes allergy shots once or twice each week, but even then, there are certain substances--peanuts, for example--that mean an automatic trip to the ER if she even touches them.

Sorry I didn't get to reply back sooner (rough night in the ER....I have pneumonia :sad: ). Anyway I didn't want to not reply and have you think I was offended by you or something.

You know it really is pretty amazing that in all the years you've worked with kids you've never had a food allergic child in the mix.

I know. I was just talking to another mom about that same thing. Hope that doesn't mean I'm getting ready to meet 20 in a row! :D But at least now I'm better prepared for that meeting!

Sorry to hear you're sick. . . really sick. Get well soon!

I must own up to skipping pages 5-10, but I had to say that ime annoyed for you. As the parent of a special needs child, I don't LIKE asking for modifications and I'd prefer we didn't need them, but we just do. For a two-hour co-op, just ban snacks. That's not even HARD. If someone can't cope for two hours without food" they either have a medical need that should be accommodated in some way, or they need to seriously adjust their diet. Even a toddler can be entertained for two hours without food. It's even more ridiculous that you brought the snack and they didn't get it. You made it EASY!

Honestly, the group doesn't sound all that nice. Our co-op runs all day and there is no food in the classrooms. Allergy families have the option of avoiding the lunchroom entirely. When you move, you may want to think about starting a food-free social group or co-op. I know lots of people who would appreciate this. My own son needs to avoid snacking and that would be easier if there was no eating at the event.

May I ask, does the church still have a good emergency plan for accidental exposure to allergens?

To be honest, I am not sure.

I know that kids with allergies have bright orange stickers added to their nametags, so it would be obvious to emergency personnel what the issue was. I have seen several kids with bags (sort of like mini lunch bags) that have their name & allergy, and I assume the bags contain Epipens.

I have only read two pages, so I am sorry if my response is repeating anything. I do have some experience with food allergies, though not of a life threatening variety.

My dd's preschool class this year was my first experience with food allergies in the classroom. A child in there was allergic to peanuts, so we could not send anything with peanut butter to class. Of course I was not angry, I realize how important it is, but at the same time I was annoyed. Our family eats a lot of peanut butter in a lot of different ways. So, I was forced to find healthy alternatives that I could afford. The first few weeks was rough, and I guess I wasn't the only parent having a tough time.

Then, the parent of the allergic child sent home with all of us a list of peanut butter replacements and fun ideas for using them in new ways. Instead of seeing only what I couldn't do, I saw a list of things I could try instead. It was great, and now I am addicted to Nutella.

You know how the "experts" tell us parents that instead of telling kids what they can't do, we should instead present them with positive choices they can choose from? Well, this is kind of the same situation. You have a room full of moms who look forward to hanging out with other moms over food they bring to share. It's a social thing. You've told them no, taken it away from them without providing a way they can still be involved. It's like the mommy version of demasculinization (or however that is spelled). Can you provide the other moms with a list of safe foods and recipes so they can actually stay involved? You catch more flies with honey, right?

<snip>

Then, the parent of the allergic child sent home with all of us a list of peanut butter replacements and fun ideas for using them in new ways. Instead of seeing only what I couldn't do, I saw a list of things I could try instead. It was great, and now I am addicted to Nutella.

You know how the "experts" tell us parents that instead of telling kids what they can't do, we should instead present them with positive choices they can choose from? Well, this is kind of the same situation. You have a room full of moms who look forward to hanging out with other moms over food they bring to share. It's a social thing. You've told them no, taken it away from them without providing a way they can still be involved. It's like the mommy version of demasculinization (or however that is spelled). Can you provide the other moms with a list of safe foods and recipes so they can actually stay involved? You catch more flies with honey, right?

I think you may be hitting the nail on the head here. Thinking back to the days when my kids were younger, I can remember that snack was about more than, well, eating a snack. It was ritual and community and breaking bread. And the kids loved when it was our turn; it was exciting for them. So, one person offering to bring snack every time is not as helpful or desired as we might think it should be.

Great post, very thought-provoking.

I think you may be hitting the nail on the head here. Thinking back to the days when my kids were younger, I can remember that snack was about more than, well, eating a snack. It was ritual and community and breaking bread. And the kids loved when it was our turn; it was exciting for them. So, one person offering to bring snack every time is not as helpful or desired as we might think it should be.

Great post, very thought-provoking.

It is a great idea but there is always a trust issue with food allergies and food others make. How can you be sure the right non dairy butter was used unless it canbe proved? How to ensure that the spoon stirring their chocolate frosting was no also used to stir the dairy free rice crispy treats? As the mom of a severe food allergic child these are questions that have to be asked when others bring food and unless I can guarantee that it is 100% safe then I can't let her eat it. In the case of individual snacks the idea of thing to substitute is great but for sharing it's just not safe enough. :( I wish it were.

I've been thinking about this thread for several days. I have a son who is allergic to peanuts. He is almost 11 and is able now to speak up and advocate for himself which makes life so much easier now than when he was little. Two of his friends (brothers) have egg & dairy allergies. Our families love getting together because we parents can commiserate and know that, if food is involved, each family will take extra care to make sure no offending ingredients are in whatever is made. This is so nice.