Menu

If your daughter mostly wears dresses...

...where do you buy tights or leggings?

My daughter only wears dresses (her choice). Usually I can find inexpensive Circo brand tights at Target for about $4 a pair, but these days the tights section is cleaned out and they're only showing spring/summer clothes. :glare:

Looking around online, I'm having a terrible time finding inexpensive, tough tights. I want heavy cotton - microfiber isn't warm enough and it tends to snag and tear. I have an active kid who is crawling through the bushes. We would also go for leggings, but I'm having a hard time finding neutrals that will go with a bunch of different dresses - they mostly seem to be selling them in bright colors or patterns.

It's my fault for not stocking up during the early fall, but at that point she had a bunch of pairs that were in good shape. They've been wearing out at the toes and knees at a rapid pace ever since.

Advice?

Lands End Tight-Fit leggings. I try to catch them on sale for $7 or so. My oldest likes Circo best because they're not so snug, but she'll wear the Lands End too. If you have a Sears with Lands End near you, keep an eye on their clearance sales. I got quite a few pairs at ours last time. DD6 is wearing them right now, in fact :lol:

I like Stride Rite tights to go with skirts. I get them at TJ Maxx

I like Lands End leggings to go under tunics because they come up high enough to cover dds tush when she bends over.

I like Gymboree dresses with their tights or leggings because they are so wonderfully cute, are very comfortable, and wash/wear well.

One thing I am very picky about with tights, is to make sure they don't have threads on the inside from the patterns.

Sometimes I make her leggings. Most of the time I buy them at the thrift store. If you can afford it Hanna Andersson makes great leggings and tights.

Oh! Costco has double packs of HA leggings right now for $15, if you have one near you. They're not usually solids though--usually one solid, one pattern. And they only go up to size 7ish or so (whatever the HA equivalent is).

I picked up some leggings for cheap (ish) at Sears this weekend. I think they were $6. They didn't have many neutral colors but they had black, white, and blue. I went with Sears because I want to try the Kidvantage program. We are always getting holes in ours and I wanted to be able to get replacements this time. My girls play hard in their leggings!

I always used jeans. I used to volunteer at a parent participation preschool, and noticed that when the boys fell they got up and kept going, and when the girls fell they gave up and went inside. Investigating further, I realized that it was because the boys had more padding. Girls in jeans just got up and kept going, too.

So DD wore lovely dresses and tops but almost always had heavy blue jeans on underneath.

I love the Hanna Leggings, I tend to buy them at Costco, right now they have some, but since it is for summer I think they are capri length rather then full length. They hold up amazingly well. The ones DD is using now have lasted her two years so far and are still in great condition.

I always used jeans. I used to volunteer at a parent participation preschool, and noticed that when the boys fell they got up and kept going, and when the girls fell they gave up and went inside. Investigating further, I realized that it was because the boys had more padding. Girls in jeans just got up and kept going, too.

So DD wore lovely dresses and tops but almost always had heavy blue jeans on underneath.

Yeah, nothing would make me happier than if she would wear jeans or other rugged pants, but she absolutely refuses. Even leggings are a step up for her - at first she was suspicious that they looked too much like pants.

I do insist on rugged shoes for play. No mincing around in slippery soles.

Don't go here ;):

www.teacollection.com/girls-leggings

It's too dang cute, although not the cheapest around.

ETA: Oh, my! I didn''t realize they added size 12/14. :) Last I checked, the largest size was 10:

www.basicbrilliance.com/girls-cotton-leggings.html

Prices aren't too bad.

Edited by LibraryLover