Menu

Cursive curriculum?

amo_mea_filiis.

Planning for 2012-2013 :)

What do you use?

What would you recommend for a 7 year old?

(My 7 year old just read the above!!!! He fights reading, so this is a first)

I'm using (I think) spencerian cursive for my dd, but I don't think that would work for ds.

He's using handwriting without tears for print, but I don't really ike the look of the cursive curriculum.

Thanks!

I used HWOT - loosely! :) That worked well for us in terms of the actual cursive teaching - but I freely admit that we skipped through some 65+% of the book and just went straight to teaching. All of the exercises of drawing loops, connecting hands, etc were not of any appeal to my ds (then 6yo).

When we started at the very first, we just used a Walmart dry-erase cursive book. That was fun & fine for learning the loops & being able to copy cursive, but I found somewhere along the way that I just couldn't explain well enough how to make your OWN cursive writing (which is when I got HWOT).

I am enjoying the Joy of Handwriting ebook I got off currclick. I can't recall specifically but I think I got it for free from them on some sale awhile back. Anyone, it was one of those things I had on a shelf collecting dust. I have been adding in StartWrite worksheets so I can personalize it with their interests. Today they did a Star Wars worksheet. I had some very happy troopers over here. :D

I just started cursive with my oldest and so far this is working for us.

My ds is using Cheerful Cursive and he loves it!

We are loving cheerful cursive. My son is using it and he's 8, but my daughter wants to start it too and she is 6. They make it pretty fun so I am going to start her on it next year as well and just take it slower with her.

It is a great program.

Here is a link for Cheerful Cursive.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/018482/

We also really like Cheerful Cursive. My 7 year old daughter is about 1/2 way through and has really been enjoying it.

It didn't work as well for my son a couple of years ago, and we switched to HWT cursive for him. His cursive still isn't flowing all that smoothly, come to think of it!

I used educationalfontware and made my own based on BJU cursive font. I like that it is a nice blend of American and Italics. I'll email what I made to anyone who pms me. It isn't fancy or anything. I planned to have mine do the basic pages then make copywork for them to practice further. Other than that, I use a whiteboard and blank paper for them to practice on. Not using lines actually helps. They will train themselves to write straight and will naturally find their own letter height that is comfortable for them.

I used HWOT with my older 2. Up until last year, they used the HWT 2 line paper then moved to college lined paper this year. They were confused by 3 lines. I say let him use it for as long as he needs.

We've used Cheerful Cursive, Kumon, and CLE. The CLE (I Can Write Cursive) moved much quicker than the others...It would have been perfect for my oldest, but I got it for my 7yo and needed to add Kumon. I'll probably use Cheerful Cursive again for my 3rd DC. :tongue_smilie:

I really like ZB's Self Instruction in Handwriting taught from a white board. Both my children did better starting out on a white board. I used the book to help me teach the strokes and know a good order to teach letters and words. When they can write well, you can use ZB's free online handwriting pages for a while and make your own copywork.

http://shop.zaner-bloser.com/p-905-self-instruction-in-handwriting.aspx

Being able to write big on a write board was helpful. Also, the way the markers guide smoothly over the white board makes it easy to learn.

• 3 weeks later...