Menu

I need a new mattress. Do you have a favorite brand?

I've been on bed rest for the past month of this pregnancy. I already knew our mattress was bad (8 years old), but this quality time with it has taught me how terrible it is. It is a Sealy and it sags something awful. We've put memory foam on top of it, which helped for the past three years, but it is hopeless at this point. There is a sizable hump in the middle of the bed. I can get sort of comfortable if I put pillows underneath me, but I really would just like a new mattress. My dd has a plush Simmons that is just heavenly.

I've been researching mattresses. I'm skeptical of trying something very different like latex or Tempurpedic. I want really good support with a cushy top, so I'm leaning toward getting another (better) inner spring. Maybe something with a bunch of coils and a squishy top.

I don't expect a mattress to last forever, but this Sealy started sagging after 5 years. We are not heavy people, either. :glare:

Does anyone have a Simmons? Serta? Stearns & Foster? Other? Was this Sealy just a dud? :bigear:

We had a terrible experience with mattresses, and the so called warranties are worthless. Mattress stores are AWFUL. If you have a Costco, pick something from there because of their wonderful warranties. I got a Novaform Memory foam gel mattress (it has blue in it) to replace one of the name brand disasters (very long story, we are stuck with it, very $$). It is different from memory foam, no heat. Dh likes it a lot, but since he snores, I haven't tried it. I think its a bit hard, but not too bad, and can be fixed with a topper. The price was right, it has great reviews, Costco will take it back if things go wrong, it came home in a box and expanded, and we put it on our existing box springs.

I don't think I will ever get a traditional mattress again. Box springs squeak, the one sided mattress can't be turned and crater almost immediately, and then you fight fight fight to get your money back, but the warranty only says "replace." But all are one sided, we did replace, and the replacement cratered. I am very light, and dh is under 200 lbs. So from now on, its platform bed and foam of some sort.

DH and I love our Stearns and Foster. He needs a firm mattress for his back, and I usually dislike firm ones, but this mattress is somehow firm without making it feel like you're sleeping on a board. Their softer mattresses felt heavenly at the furniture store, though, and if it were just me, that's what I would have gotten. Any time we're sleeping at a hotel or someone else's house, we always comment that we can't wait to get back to our Stearns and Foster. It was pricier than Sealy and Serta mattress we looked at, but it also made the other mattresses feel like junk, so it was worth it to us.

We took a careful trip to the furniture store to try some mattresses because if I'm going to spend the rest of my pregnancy in bed I need a better mattress! I am in love with the Tempur-Pedic Cloud. It was heaven. I didn't want to leave! None of the innerspring, latex, or other foam mattresses felt anywhere near as good. I did not expect to love the Tempur-Pedic, but it felt a lot better than anything else.

Dh is hesitant and didn't want to buy it today. Boo. :glare: He's willing to get it, but isn't sure if we should get the adjustable base or not. The adjustable base nearly doubles the cost and you can't return the bed if you get the adjustable base. I'd like to just get the mattress, which we can afford today. We'd have to save some more to get the adjustable base as well.

I'm back on my saggy, awful bed. I hope dh realizes tomorrow that we don't need the adjustable part!

We really like our select comfort. It about 10 years old and no problems. I have bad back problems and frequently a good nights rest fixes things right up.

:iagree:

I agree- we love our Select Comfort Sleep Number- we've had it 7 or 8 years with no problems and my Mom and her dh have had theirs over 15 years.

NOT Select Comfort. HATE IT.

Susan

Was there something specific wrong with it?? I've kept thinking about going to check one out - I feel like my 10yo mattress is starting to give me back problems, even though I'm in my 30s. I wake up pretty sore sometimes! :( I had thought Select Comfort was supposed to be a great mattress for that...

We have had it for 4 years now-- I have a bad back (and have had back surgery) and this mattress is wonderful!

If you live in an area with a Verlo Mattress Factory-- I suggest looking there. We had a Verlo mattress for 15 years-- the BEST mattress we have ever had--(well the Comforpedic is up there too!).

We purchased a high dollar Sealy that lasted less than one year... horrible!

We just got a latex mattress about 2 weeks ago and I love it. We got it from http://www.sleepez.com and it comes with a good warranty and return policy. We went to a mattress store and tried a bunch out and I fell in love with the most expensive latex one in the store. It was a restonic eurotop. After looking online, I decided I didn't want a pillow/eurotop because they tend to go bad quicker than other types. I found all of the memory foam/tempurpedic ones to be much too hard for me. We put our old memory foam topper on the sleepez and it made it almost just like the eurotop one I loved at the store. It might even be better. I thought the latex mattresses felt very different than the memory foam ones.

No to Stearns and Foster and Sealy. Awful. Before that, Simmons, went through three beds in six months, then got Spring Air. It wasn't bad, but they don't make them the same now.

As far as Select Comfort, I will never forget as long as I live going to UPS and there was a young couple in front of me frantically trying to return their Select Comfort mattress. They were having trouble getting it into the box. They said it chased them to the yucky bed in their guest room, even that was better than the Select Comfort. IMHO if you want an air mattress, go to the camping section at Target and save yourself a ton of money....

We had the exact same issue, mattress about 8 years old and covered with a 3" memory foam topper for the last three years. My hubby stayed at hotels that had the Select Comfort and he hated them, couldn't find the the right firmness and apparently the ridge in the middle is uncomfortable. My dd has a Temperpedic Mattress in the guest room. I use it when I am there and it is comfortable when it is just me but when my hubby is there, his side sinks so much it pulls me over toward him which hurts my back. Right now we have a Serta Perfect that I bought at Sam's. It is less than a year old and it is already starting to get valleys on each side. It is a no turn mattress so I don't know how long it will last but it is comfortable enough for now. It is a very firm model which seems to work best for my back.

Edited by KidsHappen

I'll vote for Stearns & Foster. I have one about 15 years old and it is still excellent. I got one of the firmer ones. When I first got it, I thought it was like sleeping on a board, but after about a week or so, I adjusted. What I like is that I never wake up with an aching back -- sometimes when I visit people with old mattresses, I wake up with a thousand little cricks in my back, and I don't even have a bad back.

I got my dc S & F and they are super comfortable too. The new ones are extraordinarily thick though -- we needed to get new fitted and top sheets.

I do not get pillow toppers, since I like to turn mattresses. If I recall, 'firm' means soft, extra firm means medium, super firm means firm -- or something like that.

When I am in a mattress store, I make sure to sit on the very, very edge of the mattress to see if it sags. A lot of the cheap ones sag.

ETA Mattress buying can be stressful. Good luck!