Menu

s/o What math do you use (for grades 7-12)

Tree House Academy

Not necessarily "in" 7th-12th grades, but for the grade equivalent content:

7th (pre-alg): MUS alg/geo combo book

8th (alg): Foerster

9th (geo): Jacobs 2nd ed, Larson, Houghton Mifflin (this is my preferred choice)

10th (alg 2): Foerster, (AoPS alg3 in addition to alg 2 if using AoPS)

11th (pre-cal): Foerster, AoPS pre-cal

12th (cal): AoPS cal (all the rest of my kids have taken cal dual-enrolled or at college)

Back when I first had pre-alg age kids, I couldn't find any pre-alg programs I liked. Now AoPS and Horizons both have pre-alg programs. I might use AoPS with my younger kids as they come up if it is a match for them. Again, I didn't know about AoPS until my now 10th grader had almost finished alg 2. I own AoPS alg but it was not a good fit for my dd. Foerster matches her learning style better.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

This year, my 8th grader used DIVE Algebra (w/Saxon) and my 9th grader started off with the same, but moved to Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. Next year, my 7th grader will use Lial's Prealgebra, my 9th grader will use AoPS Geometry, and my 10th grader will use LoF Advanced Algebra.

Edited by mandymom

Our Upper math choices:

Alg I : Life of Fred w/Home Companion (Even though ds didn't think there was enough practice, he scored very high on 2 Alg I finals I got from other sources.)

Alg II: Life of Fred + Teaching Textbooks (no CDs)

Geo: Life of Fred + Teaching Textbooks (in some ways a good combo, explaining geometry from 2 different directions, but it made proofs confusing so we dropped TT halfway through)

Art of Problem Solving: Intro to Counting and Probability (meaty course, well explained via videos on their site, if needed)

For 6th-7th grades we have been using Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals and Percents along with Key to books in Fractions, Decimals, and Percents.

For 8th grade this next year we plan on doing prealgebra and most likely we will be using the Chalkdust Prealgebra text (Aufmann) along with the DVDs, but we may only use the DVDs for confusing topics.

The only other prealgebra books/curriculum I have had on my radar were Derek Owens (love that they have the free prealgebra videos online) or Lial's Prealgebra (I actually already own this book, but I was not in love with the busy way the pages look and spacing between problems).

I love the idea of something like Kinetic Books, but my dd does not like computer based instruction.

Dolciani (older versions) for pre-algebra and parts of algebra.

LOF pre-algebra and beginning algebra

Lial's Beginning algebra (we've had a few issues with algebra :glare: - this one seems to be working well)

Geometry - will probably be Dolciani or Jurgensen

Algebra II - Lial's (I found it all for very cheap, we're using it)

beyond that I'm not sure. If possible I'd like to outsource pre-calc and above, probably with Derek Owens.

For 6th-7th grades we have been using Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals and Percents along with Key to books in Fractions, Decimals, and Percents.

Oooh, I like this idea. I'm guessing the Key to books are providing extra computational practice, with Fred the main conceptual teaching? You are liking this combo, I take it?

• 1 month later...

My oldest started with Rod and Staff. We transitioned him to Lial's BCM this year. R&S does not have an algebra option. Math is not his best subject, and switching curricula is not easy for him. Changing a year early will let him conquer the new book learning curve before he begins algebra 1. The current plan is to have him use Lial's for algebra 1 and 2, with Jacob's geometry in the middle. I'm not going to plan further than that until he's far enough to give us an idea of how far he can go. He's a fairly strong math student now, but he's struggled with it for years.

My second one is finishing Lial's prealgebra now, in sixth grade. We're planning on Foerster's for algebra 1 and 2 (Jacob's geometry in the middle), but she's somewhat interested in Art of Problem Solving. I'm still researching options.

Due to those two kids being such polar opposites, I'm not -about- to plan out a math map for the younger kids until they're much closer to it. At this point it's looking like my third will take yet another path. The Lial books were written for a college student, and this ds will be pretty young for them when he begins prealgebra.

Saxon / Life of Fred

Saxon Algebra 1/2 & LOF PreAlgebra A and B

Saxon Algebra 1 & LOF Beginning Algebra

Saxon Algebra 2 & LOF Advanced Algebra and LOF Geometry

Saxon Advanced Math & LOF Trigonometry and LOF Statistics

Saxon Calculus & LOF Calculus and LOF Linear Algebra

advanced options:

dual enrollment

AP Statistics - FLVS

AP Calculus - FLVS

Saxon. My kids love it. My son has used 2, 3, 5/4 and 6/5. My dd is using Saxon 3. I love it that my children know what to expect every day. I love the built in review and mental math. I love it that it is organized, and the older grades are pretty much non-consumable. It's also affordable. Rainbow sells the entire homeschool kit for something like 60.00. Each year, my dd will only need a new tests/worksheets workbook for 15.00.

I love everything about Saxon math and I feel so confident that I am doing the best that I can, in using it. I wish I could say the same thing about every subject.

Oh, I just wanted to add that we also supplement with Khan Academy now and then.

DD just started pre-algebra with Singapore Discovering Math 1 and Horizons Pre-Algebra. I'm liking the combo of the conceptual mastery program with the spiral for added review.

I'm not certain where we'll go from here. California requires resident students who want to attend a UC to complete algebra 1 & up using a program off the state-approved textbook list. Neither Singapore nor Horizons (which is coming out with an algebra 1 book this fall) is on that list. I don't know whether my DD is going to want to apply to any of the UC's, but I want her to have that option. I may try working something out with our charter teacher where DD takes just the end-of-chapter tests from the approved textbook and "supplements" with whatever program I choose.

Oooh, I like this idea. I'm guessing the Key to books are providing extra computational practice, with Fred the main conceptual teaching? You are liking this combo, I take it?

We mainly used LOF as a supplement to reinforce what we were learning and to have a little fun, the stories are really funny! Now we are finishing up the Key to Percents books before heading into prealgebra (using Chalkdust) and we have set aside the LOF books for now. Percents is a topic that is overwhelming my dd right now so we may end up just wrapping things up quickly and starting on Chalkdust sooner than I thought. I am thinking that Chalkdust might teach the topic of percents a little better plus there is the video instruction. I just do not like the Key to books for percents. Every time I look at the topic for the day I cannot even figure out what the directions are asking. They just seem to pound topics in your head from a few too many angles sometimes which can end up confusing some kids. I do like Key to for the other books that we used. What can I say other than I change my mind a lot when it comes to math books and I don't hesitate to use whatever will work and get the job done.

I won't make a poll because I am not sure that I even know all of the options. I would love to hear what you have chosen though!

My daughter is in 6th grade now, so my plan for the next few years:

7th: AOPS Counting & Probability (and possibly AoPS Number Theory)

8th: AOPS Geometry

9th: AOPS Intermediate Algebra

10th: AOPS Pre Calculus

11th: Swokowski Calculus I (and possibly AOPS Calculus)

12th: Not sure yet, but maybe Calculus II (I am comfortable teaching Calculus, because I used to do so at the college level.)

This child handles math well, and AOPS (with the exception of some of the *'d problems) does not seem to be a struggle for her. She is used to doing multiple math curricula in a year. She has done lots of Saxon (which I think is excellent for review purposes), most of Russian Math 6, and before that Singapore PM 3-5, most of the CWPs and IPs (US Editions) from 3-6 (which are excellent for problem solving purposes.)

I have younger children who at this point would not be able to handle the above 7-12th plan. I have not yet decided what to use with them. I plan to take it one year at a time with all of them and see how they progress.

My oldest:

7th: K12 pre-algebra A

8th: Saxon Algebra 1

9th: K12 Algebra 1 (didn't think she got enough of an algebra foundation with Saxon)

10th: Chalkdust Geometry

11th: Foerster's Algebra 2 with Trig / Math Relief Algebra 2/ College algebra via dual-enrollment at CC (sem 2)

12th: Pre-calc at CC (sem 1) / Calc 1 at CC (sem 2)

Kid #2:

7th: Kinetic Books pre-algebra

8th: Jacob's Algebra / Math Relief Algebra 1

Planned:

9th: Chalkdust Geometry

10th: Math Relief Algebra 2

11th-12th: dual enrollment

Kid #3 (accelerated math sequence)

4th: finished SM through 6B / Thinkwell 6

5th: AoPS pre-algebra (online class) / AoPS Intro to Algebra (just started) / Math Relief Algebra 1

Planned:

6th: AoPS Geometry - Will probably take the UMTYMP exam next year.

7th-10th: No idea. :) We'll see how next year goes.

11th-12th: dual enrollment