Menu

Hey bakers! What did you make this week?

Okay...I want to know your recipe. I'm dying trying to find a brand of sandwich bread in the grocery store that doesn't have HFCS or PHO in the ingredients. My problem with making homemade bread to use for sandwiches is that it usually is too crumbly and soft.

So if you don't mind sharing, I need a good sandwich bread :001_smile:

I've only recently discovered that I can slice my bread if I stick it in a plastic bag for a couple days first. When I take the loaves out of the oven and they are pretty much cool, I stick them in gigantic freezer bags. So far, I've been able to slice every bread recipe I use regularly. Our house has been cold overnight since I started this, so sticking them in the fridge would probably work too.

I made these brownies and added some Guittard semi-sweet chocolate chips to them.

And I made these biscuits for dinner. They are so fluffy and delicious!!! I used mine to make a pulled pork sandwich :D

I think on Monday I will be making some vegan chocolate chip muffins. I got some cute Valentine-themed mini muffin cups at the Dollar Store. We don't own any mini muffin tins though, so I'll have to figure that out.

I've been trying to work out a way to use the chocolate chip muffin recipe to make a bread. I'm thinking olive loaf with some garlic, but I have to figure out the mechanics. Obviously less sugar, but the texture would be great for bread, and I'm too lazy to find another recipe :tongue_smilie:

Okay...I want to know your recipe. I'm dying trying to find a brand of sandwich bread in the grocery store that doesn't have HFCS or PHO in the ingredients. My problem with making homemade bread to use for sandwiches is that it usually is too crumbly and soft.

So if you don't mind sharing, I need a good sandwich bread :001_smile:

This was a new recipe I tried and I didn't have my bread pan, so it ended up as a free-form loaf.

1 cup of milk

1 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons melted butter

1 tablespoon honey

3 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoon yeast

Mix it all together, raise until doubled. Punch down and put in greased loaf pan. Raise another 40(ish) minutes. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

This was a new recipe and I was going for that softer Wonder bread texture. It WAS. A nice soft loaf great for PB&J, and it sliced beautifully. However, I deviated from the recipe. I rolled it out and wound it up jelly-roll style before forming the loaf. It also took longer than 30 minutes to bake. (I used an unfamiliar oven.) I'm definitely trying it again with a loaf pan, because it sure is gone.

Today was baking day, I baked a weeks worth of bread rolls and bread, 2 banana cakes, 2 fruit cakes, double batch of choc chip cookies, 4 sandwich sponge cakes (makes 2 cakes). I will now make from scratch chicken schnitzel with extra garlic as we all have a cold.

Edited by melissaL

ooooooo I'd like a Challah reciepe. My youngest loves it.

Tonight I made lowfat hot fudge browine and cornbread tonight YUMMY

A couple of years ago, a fellow poster asked for a challah recipe which I provided here. To be honest, I do not proof the yeast as indicated in the first step. But the person who had asked for the recipe was a novice baker who said she needed hand holding. So it seemed better to have some safeguards built into the system for her.

Another thing: I substitute about a cup of whole wheat for some of the plain flour. The loaf is denser with the whole wheat but we like it that way.

A couple of years ago, a fellow poster asked for a challah recipe which I provided here. To be honest, I do not proof the yeast as indicated in the first step. But the person who had asked for the recipe was a novice baker who said she needed hand holding. So it seemed better to have some safeguards built into the system for her.

Another thing: I substitute about a cup of whole wheat for some of the plain flour. The loaf is denser with the whole wheat but we like it that way.

Thank you very much.

Not a total newbie, but not great at it either.

ds will thank you.