Menu

In-state applicant status denied. Advice?

Cindy in C-ville

Grace's first choice is William and Mary, and she is a strong candidate. We moved from Virginia this past summer b/c of Bill's job. We applied for in-state status based upon the fact that I am still employed by C-ville City Schools, but they denied this because I'm only part-time and I do my work virtually. Totally understandable.

So, they told us to appeal but base the appeal on other factors - Bill still holds a VA driver's license, our cars are still registered in VA, we owned our VA house until the end of October.

But, the reality is that we have moved to NC, but have been here less than a year. So, Grace can't even get in-state status for NC.

I'm curious if any of you have successfully appealed a denial of in-state applicant status? How did it work out for you? Any advice?

Are you sure that you can't get in-state status in NC? I know it varies by state and even by school, so you should call a few colleges/universities in NC and ask.

It is usually based on where the parents are living. Even owning property in a state isn't enough and having drivers licenses, car registrations, etc. are really not enough. I don't want to discourage you as it certainly won't hurt anything to try to appeal.

Good luck!

Pegasus

Yikes--you are between a rock and a hard place with your daughter paying the price.

I do not see how VA could grant her in-state status since the family clearly moved but it seems that the UNC system should grant it. Will your family have resided in-state for a year prior to the start of school?

When I attended grad school here in NC, I did not have to provide parental info but it sounds like you do. It is not helping your daughter's case for your husband to maintain a VA license or to keep the car registered in another state. For all intents and purposes, it appears that they will view your stay in NC as temporary.

If Grace is denied residency at her UNC school of choice and assuming you do not wish to pay out of state tuition, I wonder if she could attend a CC for a bit. I suspect the community college system would grant residency more leniently. It would hopefully be clear to the admissions staff that your family pays taxes here--and by then you should have all of the VA registration ties clipped.

Universities like UNC-CH are quick to deny residency to students who move in state, work for a year, and then apply for in-state status. Applicants really must prove that their first intent in moving was not post-secondary education. I suspect that W&M is similar should Grace attempt to move back to VA for the purpose of establishing residency.

Yikes--you are between a rock and a hard place with your daughter paying the price.

I do not see how VA could grant her in-state status since the family clearly moved but it seems that the UNC system should grant it. Will your family have resided in-state for a year prior to the start of school?

When I attended grad school here in NC, I did not have to provide parental info but it sounds like you do. It is not helping your daughter's case for your husband to maintain a VA license or to keep the car registered in another state. For all intents and purposes, it appears that they will view your stay in NC as temporary.

If Grace is denied residency at her UNC school of choice and assuming you do not wish to pay out of state tuition, I wonder if she could attend a CC for a bit. I suspect the community college system would grant residency more leniently. It would hopefully be clear to the admissions staff that your family pays taxes here--and by then you should have all of the VA registration ties clipped.

Universities like UNC-CH are quick to deny residency to students who move in state, work for a year, and then apply for in-state status. Applicants really must prove that their first intent in moving was not post-secondary education. I suspect that W&M is similar should Grace attempt to move back to VA for the purpose of establishing residency.

We're trying to get her granted VA state residency, at least for the first year. We owned our house in VA until November 1, 2011. "Clear and compelling" is what we're going for, not "proof beyond a reasonable doubt." These phrases are from the official codes.

Universities like UNC-CH are quick to deny residency to students who move in state, work for a year, and then apply for in-state status. Applicants really must prove that their first intent in moving was not post-secondary education.

The key here is "student". I agree that it can be very tough for a student to move to a state and establish in-state residency on their own. However, it is usually much easier if the parents move to the state. The student didn't move to go to school there; the student moved to be with the parents.

When did you move to NC? She'll have in state status one year from the date. I know I did just that (although it was a long time ago, but I suspect it hasn't changed). Rental status shouldn't be a problem, again I know because I was renting during that period too.

To be honest, I'd look at UNC seriously even if you had to pay one semester of out of state tuition there, the overall package might be lower.

The key here is "student". I agree that it can be very tough for a student to move to a state and establish in-state residency on their own. However, it is usually much easier if the parents move to the state. The student didn't move to go to school there; the student moved to be with the parents.

I agree but if the parents maintain drivers licenses/tags in Virginia, does it appear to NC officials that the family has not moved to but is just in NC temporarily?

Frankly I think the student has a better case to make for NC residency since this is where her family now resides but she hopes to get VA status.

Which raises another question, Cindy: If Grace is granted in-state residency for her first year, does she become an out of state student for her second since her family will clearly no longer be in VA?

Which raises another question, Cindy: If Grace is granted in-state residency for her first year, does she become an out of state student for her second since her family will clearly no longer be in VA?

Possibly. Sara Maria was granted in-state status at CNU in VA last year and was guaranteed that status for two years. They said that she might lose it after two years, or she might not. We've been upfront with our move and they told us that the burden is in their court to review the cases each year.

I don't know about William and Mary.

I used to think there was some national board that made the residency status decision, but every school makes their own decision. According to code, you don't have to make a "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" as in a court of law, but a "clear and convincing case." They even allow you to add anecdotal support.

William and Mary encouraged us to appeal based upon several of the factors and leave the fact that I am a contract employee for C-ville City Schools out of the equation. The fact that my work is virtual and part-time is not helpful for our case, but the fact that we owned property through the fall, still pay taxes in VA, and that she can't be considered a NC resident for NC public universities for another year is our most compelling argument. We'll see what happens.

As a mom, I hate that the decisions that Bill and I had to make may keep Grace from being able to fulfill her dream of going to W & M. That's probably the toughest thing for me.

Possibly. Sara Maria was granted in-state status at CNU in VA last year and was guaranteed that status for two years. They said that she might lose it after two years, or she might not. We've been upfront with our move and they told us that the burden is in their court to review the cases each year.

I don't know about William and Mary.

I used to think there was some national board that made the residency status decision, but every school makes their own decision. According to code, you don't have to make a "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" as in a court of law, but a "clear and convincing case." They even allow you to add anecdotal support.

William and Mary encouraged us to appeal based upon several of the factors and leave the fact that I am a contract employee for C-ville City Schools out of the equation. The fact that my work is virtual and part-time is not helpful for our case, but the fact that we owned property through the fall, still pay taxes in VA, and that she can't be considered a NC resident for NC public universities for another year is our most compelling argument. We'll see what happens.

As a mom, I hate that the decisions that Bill and I had to make may keep Grace from being able to fulfill her dream of going to W & M. That's probably the toughest thing for me.

Where do you vote? That might be another piece of info that could help (for one state or the other).

Would the fact that you filed NOI for Homeschooling in Virginia be another piece in her favor? I'm thinking along the lines of a senior who was attending a VA high school in the fall when they applied would have that to point to.

Where does she have her driver's license?

I think it's possible that in some states there maybe be an up level form the school if there is a state-wide system (NC has one, I don't know if VA does).

And as rabbit trail, they are using the standard a civil court would use not a criminal court: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_burden_of_proof#Standard_of_proof:_United_States Feel free to ignore.

Where do you vote? That might be another piece of info that could help (for one state or the other).

Would the fact that you filed NOI for Homeschooling in Virginia be another piece in her favor? I'm thinking along the lines of a senior who was attending a VA high school in the fall when they applied would have that to point to.

Where does she have her driver's license?

Well, she finished high school at our comm. college in VA before we moved to NC. This year she's taking a gap year, living with us, working in NC, going to Peru for a mission trip, etc.

I think it's possible that in some states there maybe be an up level form the school if there is a state-wide system (NC has one, I don't know if VA does).

Maybe since I grew up in NC and went to college here, I thought this. But, apparently in VA, every school decides, even the public universities. When Sara Maria was deciding on schools last spring, we talked to Christopher Newport (in VA) about this. Without question they gave her VA residency status and guaranteed she'd have it for two years and thought she'd probably be able to keep it all the way through.

I don't think VA will budge. SOme of the colleges are notoriously hard to get residency for like NOVA, the community college in Northern VA. I mean at the same time my son was counted as a resident for George Mason University, my daughter was counted as a non resident for NOVA and we were all living there in VA under military orders. VA is actually not an easy state to prove residency. We knew that dd wouldn't be able to prove residency even if we had stayed there (we were legal Florida residents then) so unlike FLorida, ALabama, NM, and scores of other states that are friendly to military, VA is not. Alabama was so nice that as soon as we had actual orders in hand and sent them to them they reclassified dd and gave her a full tuition scholarship versus a 2/3 one.

If you want to get NC status, you need to have been here for a year. Owning property isn't necessary, but having your cars registered in another state will work against you. I suggest changing your drivers licenses and car and voter registrations now, if you intend to stay. They are evidence of your residence.

I don't know about the appeal process, but it seems like you don't meet the residency requirements of either state. You aren't a resident of VA anymore, so why should they grant you in-state tuition? And you haven't been in NC long enough to meet their rules.

Edited by HoppyTheToad

Because you moved last summer, I think you could get in state tuition at UNC. They require a year of residency prior to the first day of classes. Based upon the info. I am seeing here, you might want to go ahead and change your car tags, driver's license and anything else you have that shows you live in Virginia to be sure. Property ownership shouldn't matter, just where you live.

Just heard from UVA today and they don't see any way that they can give her in-state status. They did say that if William and Mary decides to go with it, to let them know. The only NC school she applied to is Wake Forest. Now I'm really wishing she had tossed her hat in the ring for UNC.

Because of Bill's unemployment last year, our EFC for the coming year is $0. How does this factor in with financial aid packages if we are out-of-state for William and Mary and UVA?

Because of Bill's unemployment last year, our EFC for the coming year is $0. How does this factor in with financial aid packages if we are out-of-state for William and Mary and UVA?

I think that this will work in your favor, Cindy. Remember though that Grace will probably be offered a package with loans.

Hmmm...could it make a compelling case to say that, despite your move, Grace views herself as a Virginia resident? They may not give her in-state status, but if it helps with financial aid??

Cindy,

I'm so sorry this has become so complicated for you. We moved out of state our ds's first college semester. Before dh accepted the transfer, we contacted the university to make sure he would maintain in-state tuition. They stated, no problem. So, while we didn't live in the state for more than a few months his freshman yr, the uni granted him in-state tuition.

Now we are facing another transfer to another state. Our move would be over this summer and we are facing 2 college students moving into possible "out of state" status. I was hoping that it might be as easy as ds's and proof that we didn't move for instate tuition but were there due to employment.

That said, now that I think about it, oldest ds took a course over the summer at a uni here and the school insisted on out of state tuition though we had lived here for 1/2 a yr.

Thanks for understanding. I think it is doubtful she will be granted in-state status, and we didn't apply to any UNC schools. I am curious how residency status impacts financial aid packages and scholarships. What do you all know about this? On a positive note, Grace took the SAT for a final time in January, and while her previous scores were well within the acceptance range for all the schools to which she applied, now she's in the upper tier. I do trust that God has a plan for her and our job is to be faithful to pursue what's before us.

She could do that, but she's already taking a gap-year this year. She's still young - just turned 17 in January, but finished high school with an associate's degree last spring. She LOVES school and is eager to get going.

One thought that she has, and I'd love your thoughts on this, is to return to VA and live with friends in C-ville next year, get ANOTHER associate's degree from PVCC (she's only 10 credits short) and then apply to UVA and William and Mary as a transfer student rather than as a freshman. At that point we would have been living in NC for 2 1/2 years, but she would have returned to VA. Clearly she won't have her own established residence, but she'll be demonstrating that her personal ties are in VA, not in NC. Thoughts?

I feel your pain. We moved to VA from NJ last May. Our older ds is a junior at VA Tech, our younger ds a freshman there. We were told it was state law that you had to be a resident for a full year to get in-state status, so at least in the fall they'll both be in-state.

It certainly wouldn't be right for you not to get in-state status anywhere. Unfortunately you have the best case for NC since you'll have been there for over a year before her freshman year.

As an aside, I grew up and my dad still lives about 2 miles from CNU (CNC back then). Close enough to use their library for high school research papers. It's amazing how much that area has changed over the years.

She could do that, but she's already taking a gap-year this year. She's still young - just turned 17 in January, but finished high school with an associate's degree last spring. She LOVES school and is eager to get going.

One thought that she has, and I'd love your thoughts on this, is to return to VA and live with friends in C-ville next year, get ANOTHER associate's degree from PVCC (she's only 10 credits short) and then apply to UVA and William and Mary as a transfer student rather than as a freshman. At that point we would have been living in NC for 2 1/2 years, but she would have returned to VA. Clearly she won't have her own established residence, but she'll be demonstrating that her personal ties are in VA, not in NC. Thoughts?

I would make no assumptions. I would contact the administration offices of each campus in writing in order to get a response in writing. Our FAFSA clearly indicated that we lived out of state, yet it did not impact his financial aid being processed by the school in-state. Ds's place of residence did not matter for us, though it may for your dd.

It is next to impossible to get students qualified as independent. The one way ds's school did mess up financial aid was by telling him he had to fill out his FAFSA forms prior to April 15th. He was concerned about that b/c he was getting married April 24th,, but they insisted. Well, they were wrong. By filling it out prior to the 24th, he was forced to remain classified as a dependent that yr.:tongue_smilie:

Another option you might want to consider is looking into universities that grant in-state tuition for students w/certain GPA/ACT/SAT scores. 2 that come to mind immediately are Mississippi State and East TN.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/audit/91178.html

http://www.etsu.edu/admissions/documents/Tuition_Assistance_Opportunities.pdf

I'm sure there are others.

I am sorry but it is very unlikely that unless you have big assets, William and Mary would be affordable as an out of state student. Having an EFC of 0 isn't all that much help. All it means is she would get a Pell Grant of 5500 and be able to get a work study job and take out the maximum loan of 5500 of which only 3500 is actually subsidized. That still leaves you with tens of thousands of dollars in costs. The total estimated cost for W&M for out of state is almost 48,000. I would strongly encourage her to apply to some affordable institutions where an institutional grant plus Pell Grant plus work study plus loan will cover almost everything.

I am sorry but it is very unlikely that unless you have big assets, William and Mary would be affordable as an out of state student. Having an EFC of 0 isn't all that much help. All it means is she would get a Pell Grant of 5500 and be able to get a work study job and take out the maximum loan of 5500 of which only 3500 is actually subsidized. That still leaves you with tens of thousands of dollars in costs. The total estimated cost for W&M for out of state is almost 48,000. I would strongly encourage her to apply to some affordable institutions where an institutional grant plus Pell Grant plus work study plus loan will cover almost everything.

:( We are past deadlines for applying for fall 2012, I believe. More advice?

No, there are many colleges that have deadlines for applications later than this.

This is why I recommend everyone gets info from College Confidential. Specifically about financial aid, it is a warning song that so many people aree trying to send. Hardly any, if any, state schools provide 100% of need, and I don't think any do for out of state students. What some state schools provide is lower cost colleges that are doable with federal and state funds only or merit scholarships that are available to both need and non need students.

Are you going to be able to help her afford college in any way? I know that your EFC is 0 but that is because your dh was unemployed. How about now?

You see, even if you got in state tuition for her at W&M, the cost of that school is still almost 25,000 a year. As I said before, most state schools do not meet aid. Most private colleges don't either however the well endowed ones come closer. There are very few schools that nowadays meet full need and even when they supposedly do, it is often with large loans. So without school aid, the federal aid only comes to about 13,000 if she is able to get work study and considering that some of the loan is not subsidized. That is a huge gap from 25,000. And that is if she somehow got state residency. Oh and if the only reason you have an EFC of zero is because of unemployment and your dh is now employed, you shouldn't expect to receive full federal aid after this year, depending on his salary and how many in your family.

No, there are many colleges that have deadlines for applications later than this.

This is why I recommend everyone gets info from College Confidential. Specifically about financial aid, it is a warning song that so many people aree trying to send. Hardly any, if any, state schools provide 100% of need, and I don't think any do for out of state students. What some state schools provide is lower cost colleges that are doable with federal and state funds only or merit scholarships that are available to both need and non need students.

Are you going to be able to help her afford college in any way? I know that your EFC is 0 but that is because your dh was unemployed. How about now?

You see, even if you got in state tuition for her at W&M, the cost of that school is still almost 25,000 a year. As I said before, most state schools do not meet aid. Most private colleges don't either however the well endowed ones come closer. There are very few schools that nowadays meet full need and even when they supposedly do, it is often with large loans. So without school aid, the federal aid only comes to about 13,000 if she is able to get work study and considering that some of the loan is not subsidized. That is a huge gap from 25,000. And that is if she somehow got state residency. Oh and if the only reason you have an EFC of zero is because of unemployment and your dh is now employed, you shouldn't expect to receive full federal aid after this year, depending on his salary and how many in your family.

Where do you see that tuition and fees for W&M are that high? Here's the link: http://www.wm.edu/admission/financialaid/tuition/index.php

Where do you see that tuition and fees for W&M are that high? Here's the link: http://www.wm.edu/admission/financialaid/tuition/index.php

Sorry for the multiple posting.

The way we've looked at it, and probably wrongly so, has been that Grace is a highly desirable student and would receive some fairly substantial scholarships. She earned her associate's degree at 16 with a 4.0 average. She received multiple scholarships at the comm. college. She was tutoring college students in math as a 15 year old. But she's not only a student, but also active in various organizations serving as an officer with two. And she is a strong musician with viola being her instrument.

When we lived in C-ville, while William & Mary was her first choice, UVA was our fall-back. And UVA would be a great fall-back. As a PVCC (Piedmont VA Comm. College) grad, she was guaranteed admission and could have lived at home, if necessary. The in-state tuition was reasonable, even if she needed to take out loans to cover what wouldn't be covered by grant, aid, work-study, etc.

But, then our church closed in August 2010, and Bill lost his job. After trying for ten months to get work in VA, he was hired for a position in NC. We couldn't turn it down. I was working PT but that certainly didn't enable us to meet our financial obligations and we were facing foreclosure. So, we moved and thankfully were able to sell our house, although through short-sell.

After talking with advisors at CNU where Sara Maria matriculated in the fall, we thought it would be pretty easy to get in-state residency status for Grace. Sara Maria had been guaranteed VA residency from CNU for both 2011-12, and 2012-13. I wrongly thought that if that was true for Sara Maria, Grace would have in-state status for at least one year.

Through the fall, I worked with Grace on her applications, essays, etc., but didn't further investigate the residency situation. Also we didn't look into UNC-system schools. We should have. Grace should have applied to UNC-CH. She also should have applied to Davidson. Although it's a private school, it would have been a good choice for her and their financial aid package is pretty unique. She didn't because they wanted her to take several SAT subject tests. We should have insisted.

I feel like all we can do at this point is just wait and see what happens. If she gets accepted to any of the three schools to which she applied, W&M, UVA, and Wake Forest, we'll just have to see the financial picture looks like. I guess that if it's just not do-able, we'll have hard decisions to make - whether to stay out another year and apply to NC schools, apply to schools that are accepting late admissions knowing that she'll want to transfer, or take more classes at the local community college.

Honestly, I am so frustrated with myself for not researching the options, fully investigating the residency and being alongside Grace in this process. :(

I looked at the W and M site and it is over 23,OOO per semester for out of state students. This was the link I used

http://www.wm.edu/admission/financialaid/tuition/index.php

I am very familiar with the high cost of VA schools since we were living in VA from very late 2008 to this last July. For some strange reason, our son was deemed a VA resident for tuition but our dd would have had to apply as OOS. We knew it would be unaffordable for her so we told her not to apply. As it is, law schools may very well be affordable for her since VA allows more money to supplement the GI bill for law schools.

:( We are past deadlines for applying for fall 2012, I believe. More advice?

First I would verify this with NC schools. While I think both the two big state schools UNC and NCSU are likely to be unwilling to look at an application from your daughter at this point (and I will still ask, maybe even go up the chain a bit asking), some of the other, smaller schools will be more flexible. I'd look at App and UNCG. This will give her a place to be for the next year or two and then she can transfer to the bigger fish is she wants. And if she chooses her coursework wisely she should be able to step onto a new campus with everything transferring as credits she would need to graduate.

Certainly, I'd use everything I could when you get acceptances back with the schools you've already applied to including Wake.

It's far away from you, but University of Texas at Dallas offers in-state tuition to their scholarship students regardless of residency status.

http://oue.utdallas.edu/aes/

copying pertinent information below

Important Dates

March 1 To guarantee an admission decision prior to the March 31 deadline, applicants should submit a completed application for admission with all required materials prior to March 1.

March 31 Priority consideration for scholarships is given to students who are admitted to the University by March 31.

The following are the average SAT scores for students that have been offered an AES award thus far for fall 2012:

Achievement

Average SAT (Critical Reading + Math only): 1300

$3,000 per semester applied toward UT Dallas tuition and mandatory fees

Total value over four academic years: $24,000

Distinction

Average SAT (Critical Reading + Math only): 1390

Complete coverage of UT Dallas tuition and mandatory fees

$1,000 per semester cash stipend to defray the costs of books, supplies and other expenses

Total estimated value over four academic years: $52,672

Honors

Average SAT (Critical Reading + Math only): 1490

Complete coverage of UT Dallas tuition and mandatory fees

$3,000 per semester cash stipend to defray the costs of books, supplies and other expenses

Total estimated value over four academic years: $68,672

Non-Texas Residents

Students receiving any level of AES award may qualify for in-state tuition and fee charges, regardless of their resident status.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I posted similar info already. Mississippi State does as well:

Community College Students Out-of-State Tuition Scholarship

Transfer students must have completed at least 48 hours of transferable community college courses (determined according to MSU standard policy and practices) applicable to a bachelor’s degree at MSU with a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA.

• Scholarship is 100 percent of out-of-state tuition and continues at the 100 percent level if the student maintains full time enrollment and maintains a 3.00 GPA.

• Grades are monitored at the end of each fall semester.

I am assuming that the OP has already decided that VA schools are the only ones she is interested in.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

All I can advise, Cindy, is that you sit your daughter down and tell her exactly how much you and your husband, any grandparents and anyone else will be able to contribute to her education. Because she may very well be basing her ideas about not applying to other schools on the thought that if she is accepted, she will be able to go. Have her read the stories on college confidential of all the students who are accepted with 0 EFC and cannot afford to go to X college, x being whatever is their dream school. Yes, there are some colleges that offer full need. I know that state schools aren't that and I don't know about Wake Forest, but I don't think it is either. Then have her look at the realistic position she is in- VA does not offer full scholarships to OOS students and probably the only things she can expect in aid is federal money which is max of around 13,000 leaving a balance of about 30,000. I don't know what the situtation is with Wake Forest and it is probably better since most private institutions offer some grants or scholarships. But it still may be more than you can afford.

Every kid applying to college should have a academic safety and a financial safety. The financial safety is extremely important since without it a kid can be accepted at many schools but not be able to afford anything.

Guest txmusicmom
I'm very appreciative of the information regarding schools in MS and in TX. Thank you very much! Grace, at this point, doesn't want to consider other schools. I want to respect her decision, even if it mean she misses an opportunity to matriculate in the fall. I will definitely keep you all posted! Thanks again!

Schools can award wavers for out of state tuition. You might try that avenue.

Donna

Dd called a state university in the state we might be re-locating to. She explained that her dad might be transferred there and she wanted to know about eligibility for in-state tuition. At this school anyway, they have a procedure in place. There are several forms that need to be filled out, but if you can verify via your employer that the move was job related (vs. moving just to get in-state tuition), they do grant in-state tuition. (thank goodness, b/c we can't afford multiple out of state tuitions!)