Menu

Doing many math topics in parallel?

Ds is is almost done with Singapore 2A. We do the workbook (and CWP 1), but lately we've been skipping the textbook because it seems like doing both is more practice than he needs, before moving on to a new topic. I've been thinking maybe I should introduce some other math topics (maybe from the blue MM series?) to work on, while he practices his SM math topics until they are completely automatic.

He plays Dreambox, so he's a little familiar with negative numbers. We are on multiplication in SM, and he's starting to learn the times tables. What other topics can we add? Should we just start SM 2B? I already have MM fractions, so maybe I should work on that?

Does anyone else work on different math topics in parallel, instead of waiting to move on until after a topic can be done by the student in his sleep?

Does anyone else work on different math topics in parallel, instead of waiting to move on until after a topic can be done by the student in his sleep?

Very definitely YES. My ds was doing AoPS Intro Algebra while still memorizing his subtraction tables.

Ruth in NZ

Very definitely YES. My ds was doing AoPS Intro Algebra while still memorizing his subtraction tables.

Ruth in NZ

Will that be frustrating for the kids? Algebra is build on all operation, decimal and fraction. Will he get frustrated that he has to look up the table on every step? Really Really just curious....not trying to criticize

We do also do parallel, But I do make sure he has all the building block solid for each topic before they start

My DD, age 4.5 is using both Singapore 1a/b and Horizons. The two approaches are totally different (Singapore is mastery based and Horizons is a spiral approach) which means we do cover topics in parallel with Horizons while mastering others with Singapore. She likes having two different approaches - one is fun and colourful and the other I use a lot of manipulatives with it. She is doing Horizons K rathar than 1 as she needed practice writing her numerals.

Yes they need a basis to work on, but sometimes approaching a new topic keeps their interest more and motivates them to master the older topic.

Will that be frustrating for the kids? Algebra is build on all operation, decimal and fraction. Will he get frustrated that he has to look up the table on every step?

My ds was (and is) amazing at problem solving, but not so good with memorizing the tables. He just kept at the tables daily from age 7 to age 10. Subtraction tables were the last for a number of reasons. I told him he could stop when he could match my time.:001_smile: And that took a while. All other concepts (like decimals, fractions) he understood, he was just slow, which indicated a lack of true mastery from my point of view. I never let him use a calculator, so he had to continue to practice long division and fractions while working through algebra. I guess that explains why it took him 2.5 years to finish the AoPS book. (But to be fair AoPS algebra is much more than an algebra I course, and he was only 9 when he started with no prealgebra experience. Plus, he was doing it independently.).

What I found was that he was willing to work on math for 1.5 hours or more if he was doing something challenging (like AoPS), but if the material was too easy, or he was just practicing to pick up speed, then he just. couldn't. do. it. It was not his attitude, he really did want to do the work, but I tell people that it is like being asked to proofread the phone book, you might have good intentions, but it just isn't possible.

All of his asynchronies have finally disappeared. He is set to finish AoPS in 2 months. And is still loving math. If I had made him master every concept before moving on, I am sure he would have learned to hate it.

Ruth in NZ

ETA: I would not recommend this approach. I used it only because my ds needed it. My younger son is set to follow a more traditional, linear approach to math.

Edited by lewelma

IMO, one of the best ways to accelerate in math. "Math" is really many subjects. I divided math into strands , so yes you can be doing arithmetic, geometry, probability, and measurement all at the same time (even same day) just fine. I think it's definitely better than 6 weeks of memorizing math facts or doing umpteenth incremental versions of the same darn thing. :D

While working on one section in SM, we skip ahead to a different section on a completely different topic (sometimes working on one section in book A and a different section in book B). We don't do the review sections until all previous sections have been covered.

I do this too. Dd just finished the section, review, and test for the multiplication unit in MM4, but we were working on the fraction section at the same time. I do it to keep her fresh in different concepts, and also to prevent that feeling of "oh no, not MORE multiplication!" We need something to break up the long haul in a single topic.

Yes. We skip around with some crossover. Dd is working on graphing equations one day and reviewing percent word problems on another day. I don't try and align topics.

I don't make dd review a ton of long division. It's such a dreadfully boring topic that would kill the joy & passion in the most enthusiastic math students, imho.

Dd doesn't do much with decimals or percents these days so I do intend to keep those skills fresh along with complex word problems. As for long division...boo, hiss. :)

All the time. My big girls responses and thrives best if we are doing a few topics at a time verses just working through one chapter in SM.

As for long division...boo, hiss. :)

Is my kid the only one that likes long division? :lol:

He spent a few days getting multi-digit multiplication down pat (while we usually only did 1/2 the problems in MM, we did every.single.problem for that topic, and I was pretty close to printing out more to practice, but then it clicked and he was fine and remembered it). Long division literally took about 15 minutes to understand, and he remembered it the next day and the next... and enjoyed doing it. :confused:

He spent a few days getting multi-digit multiplication down pat (while we usually only did 1/2 the problems in MM, we did every.single.problem for that topic, and I was pretty close to printing out more to practice, but then it clicked and he was fine and remembered it). Long division literally took about 15 minutes to understand, and he remembered it the next day and the next... and enjoyed doing it. :confused:

I remember enjoying long division the same way I enjoy solving algebra equations or derivatives or integrals. I get a unique sense of satisfaction from seeing how something will work out and following it through to completion. Of course, that's only in certain areas like math or translating Latin. I think my house would look nicer if I found that same sense of satisfaction from completing the dishes.

I agree that working on different areas in math is a good plan because it allows a child to proceed where they are competent instead of stagnating on a topic they are having trouble with. It also prevents memorization of facts from slowing conceptual understanding. My concerns in my own household would be that our emphasis on "hard work" might get pushed aside in the attempt to continue with the effortless material. I would also want to add in a few projects or stretch problems here and there to show how all of those different strands tie together.

Personally, I liked doing long division when I was in school. My dd had no problem understanding it and no struggles with doing the actual math. Her struggles were with wanting to do the problems :tongue_smilie: I think she felt like they were a waste of her time and it was like pulling teeth to get her to stay focused and get them done. Except for the day she decided to create her own Roman Numeral related code to use to create and work the problems. That day she did them without grumbling or complaining. Of course, it gave me a headache trying to remember the code while checking the problems so I don't think we'll stick to that option. Basically, I have her work a few problems every so often to make sure she still knows how and we just moved on.

Personally, I liked doing long division when I was in school. My dd had no problem understanding it and no struggles with doing the actual math. Her struggles were with wanting to do the problems :tongue_smilie: I think she felt like they were a waste of her time and it was like pulling teeth to get her to stay focused and get them done. Except for the day she decided to create her own Roman Numeral related code to use to create and work the problems. That day she did them without grumbling or complaining. Of course, it gave me a headache trying to remember the code while checking the problems so I don't think we'll stick to that option. Basically, I have her work a few problems every so often to make sure she still knows how and we just moved on.

I'm so glad the thread took this turn, I was beginning to think I was weird. I remember quite enjoying long division when I first learnt it.