Menu

What qualifies as a "healthy" meal?

Tonight for supper we had a chicken/corn/rice stir fry over fresh baby spinach and a salad with mixed greens and tangerines.

I can see how some people would call this healthy (would have been SUPER DUPER health food compared to what I was raised eating) while others would find a lot to improve on the meal.

Chicken---skinless/boneless but not organic or free range

onion--again not organic

coconut oil---maybe one of the better oils?

garlic---dried, not fresh

egg--used a store egg but 99% of the time we use our free range organic eggs from our chickens

corn--from a can, not fresh organic

rice--good old plain white rice, not brown organic

lemon juice--from a bottle, not fresh

soy sauce--just your plain old store kind

baby spinach--fresh but not organic

How would this rate for you?

I just find it interesting that for some people this would be super health food---considering the great winter comfort foods of many--while for other people, this would not be fresh or organic, etc.

Any meal that consists of whole, unprocessed foods and contains a decent variety of protein and produce is healthy in my book. You can go crazy constantly thinking about how to make everything even healthier.

I mean, really, unless you're eating whole grain, sprouted bread made from fresh-ground wheat grown in your own yard from heirloom seeds fertilized by grass-fed cows pet daily by white-robed virgins, you're basically killing yourself, right? :tongue_smilie:

I think it sounds great!

Honestly, it's a lot more adventerous than my crew will let me be with the cooking. They'd eat the chicken, corn, rice, greens, etc. But if they were all cooked separately.

All mixed together like that? I'd get an ewwwwww face from all of them. :glare: :D

(We've got a lot of sensory issues goin' on around here. :D)

But I think it sounds just lovely! It's a healthy meal in my book.

I think it sounds great!

Honestly, it's a lot more adventerous than my crew will let me be with the cooking. They'd eat the chicken, corn, rice, greens, etc. But if they were all cooked separately.

All mixed together like that? I'd get an ewwwwww face from all of them. :glare: :D

(We've got a lot of sensory issues goin' on around here. :D)

But I think it sounds just lovely! It's a healthy meal in my book.

I was VERY VERY surprised that my kids and dh would eat this. Basically it is a stir fry with the chicken, onion, egg, corn, and rice and then put over top of the fresh baby spinach. It has actually become a meal that they ASK for.

I mean, really, unless you're eating whole grain, sprouted bread made from fresh-ground wheat grown in your own yard from heirloom seeds fertilized by grass-fed cows pet daily by white-robed virgins, you're basically killing yourself, right? :tongue_smilie:

Well, unless you are going wheat free.

I had to laugh out loud about who had to be petting the cows:lol:

On the plus side, our chickens do get petted daily and often get mom NOT approved trips into the house. The chickens even get to go horseback riding on occassion........so that should count for something.

It sounds fairly healthy to me.

I would have served that meal this way:

Chicken---organic if my budget allowed (about half the time I buy organic meat products)

onion--not organic

coconut oil---I would have used conventional peanut oil for a stir-fry

garlic---fresh, conventional

egg--organic if my budget allowed (but it doesn't always -- I have 4 dozen conventional eggs in my fridge as I type)

corn--frozen, conventional

rice--conventional brown rice (stir-fry is the only way I like brown rice, personally -- I use jasmine rice for everything else)

lemon juice--fresh, conventional (no bottle = less waste)

soy sauce--what you used

baby spinach--I almost always spring for organic greens

That qualifies as healthy in my book. We eat organic wild rice, but white rice is good too IMO, because it is minimally processed. When I wonder if something is healthy or not I compare it to what we would eat if we ate out or if we ate some frozen meal. Some days I could do better, but most days are good.

Any meal that consists of whole, unprocessed foods and contains a decent variety of protein and produce is healthy in my book. You can go crazy constantly thinking about how to make everything even healthier.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I think it's a very good meal.

Though I was tempted to toss dog food at the boys (I started a thread today about being very tired of cooking), I roasted a chicken...made my own cornbread stuffing - about 70% of the ingredients were organic, but admittedly, I can get organic very reasonably priced in my area because so many local farmers have gone organic and the Mennonite Bulk Food store sells at very reduced prices compared to regular groceries...I'm spoiled!

I threw in carrots, potatoes, and onions...carrots amd onions were organic, the potatoes not....I'm out of what we hard stored from dad's garden and last month's grocery budget was tighter than usual.

I warmed a jar of my home canned green beans...dad grows those organically as well.

They had grapes and kiwi (neither were organic) and homemade applesauce (organic honey crisp apples that I processed last October).

So it was a blended conventional and organic meal. However, my feeling is that as long as healthy proteins and wide variety for veggies and fruits are offered, don't sweat the organic thing if it is cost prohibitive...organic produce is very expensive in most parts of the country if you cannot grow your own and preserve it.

Truly, though....after making pancakes, eggs, and fruit salad for the boys for breakfast, which they followed up mid-morning with a serving of homemade granola and milk, followed by meatless spaghetti but with liberal amounts of mozzarella and parmesan for fat content, large salads, homemade garlic bread, and peaches with cream, afternoon snacks of oatmeal cookies and milk, and then turning around and decimating an entire roast dinner....I'm weary. I'm really weary of feeding these people!

When I say decimate, I mean to say that since dh had to take a conference call - mostly listening, not presenting so he could munch on dinner while the phone was on mute - I made plate for him...very reasonable adult servings on the smallish side except that he wanted a double helping of my stuffing because, well, it is very yummy. I then returned to the kitchen to find a pack of ravenous wolves - oh, excuse me, I mean my sons - attacking the pot with fervor. When they were done and I could fix my own plate, I found 2 oz. of chicken left...the bits they were too lazy to pick off bones...not a scrap of stuffing left AND IT WAS GLUTEN FREE SO I COULD HAVE SOME TO BEGIN WITH, three tiny pieces of carrot, one small piece of potato, one piece of onion, and a 1/4 cup of green beans left.

When I approached the rabbid animals about not leaving much for me - at that point I'd eaten less than 400 calories for the day - they looked at me with these huge, ignorant, innocent eyes and the oldest made this comment, "Oh, when you took that plate to dad, we thought it was for both of you to share." :001_huh: My response had something to do with, "Is your brain engaged today or vacationing in the Bahamas without your body?"

Sigh....there are days when I think a big bag of cheap dog food is the ticket!!!! :glare:

Okay, my off topic rant is over. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Faith

:lol::lol: Of course, now I need to sew white-robes for my dds so that their petting will be more nurturing to the cow. But first I have to buy sheep to make the wool to make the robes...

Even then, you can still drive yourself crazy with entirely new issues about water, field rotation, what the neighbor is doing on their farm that might affect you, etc.

:iagree: and Mergath, thanks a lot - i just spit my water. :lol::lol:

Why do they have to be virgins? And if they ARE virgins, they should probably ditch the bathrobes and put some clothes on if they expect the cows to take them seriously.

Why do they have to be virgins? And if they ARE virgins, they should probably ditch the bathrobes and put some clothes on if they expect the cows to take them seriously.

Well, for one, those of us who aren't virgins have better things to do than sit around petting cows all day.

;)

Well, for one, those of us who aren't virgins have better things to do than sit around petting cows all day.

;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Just cleaned up the mess from spitting out my coffee from your first comment. Then you hit me with this?! Come on, Mergath, have a little care for a woman and her computer and her ever growing pile o' laundry.

:lol: love it!

OP, there are things that would make the meal healthier, but it isn't a meal I would complain about. :001_smile: There are super healthy, perfect meals, and grossly unhealthy meals (McDonalds). Most meals are in the middle. Other than promoting consumption of fresh veggies, experts don't seem to agree on much. Nearly every meal my family eats falls in the middle somewhere.

It's all relative. If that dish made my family eat spinach (including dh), I would serve it. 'cuz currently, nothing makes them eat spinach. :D

The first change I would make is to ditch the white rice for an alternative. My family doesn't eat the best, but they do eat whole grain rice/breads/noodles and we recently discovered (and LOVE) barley.Then I would add more veggies. Maybe a bag of frozen stirfry veggies. But, maybe a favorite veggie that the kids eat well on the side and leave the main dish alone so they will eat the spinach.

I really try to do 2 veggies (not counting corn or potatoes). Even if one of them is just carrot sticks set out to snack on before.

On organic, I mix and match and try to rotate what is done organically. I read something about varying the toxins, instead of concentrating them with always ingesting the same toxins from the same inorganic foods. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, Mergath! I will remember this one. I am menu planning today and trying to healthily feed a house full of hungry teens on a non-organic budget can be pretty discouraging. I needed the chuckle.:001_smile:

Chicken---skinless/boneless but not organic or free range (This would be decent compared to not organic, right?)

onion--again not organic (root veggie, I would do organic)

egg--used a store egg but 99% of the time we use our free range organic eggs from our chickens (obviously you know organic is best:))

corn--from a can, not fresh organic (try not to eat corn that isn't organic, in the States non-organic is almost 100% GMO corn :( )

rice--good old plain white rice, not brown organic (yay, organic is my choice... even over non-organic brown)

lemon juice--from a bottle, not fresh (I buy the organic in a glass jar, it's easiest)

soy sauce--just your plain old store kind (soy that isn't organic is almost 100% GMO)

baby spinach--fresh but not organic (greens are almost imperative to eat organic)

I just find it interesting that for some people this would be super health food---considering the great winter comfort foods of many--while for other people, this would not be fresh or organic, etc.

I just want organic so I'm not eating pesticides. I mean, "green with a little pesticides on them?" Yuck... On the other hand, I'm sure it tasted lovely and is much better for you than most American's diets. :)

I look around to try and get the least expensive organic greens... and other foods on the "Top Dirty List" .....

:) We just do the best we can, right??!!

:lol::lol:

Awesome!

(I'm also in agreement on the whole, unprocessed foods things is a healthy meal. It's the best I can do until I finish Little Librarian's robe and besides she'll probably be scared of the cows seesing how she's a little city girl to the core.)

I would consider that to be pretty healthy. You had a good protein, multiple vegetables (including a leafy green one), and a fruit. And, if you're okay with grains, you included that too, so I would consider it a balanced and nutritious meal. Plus, you can pronounce the items you used, and there was not added sugar, nor hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup.

If I were making the meal, I'd buy organic and free-range when possible, but it's not always feasible for me to do so, and still, unprocessed is unprocessed. Fresh is great, but I don't worry about using frozen when it's more feasible either. I would probably use fresh or frozen corn instead of canned, and if I used rice at all (we are low-grain here), I'd use brown. If budget permitted, I'd probably buy the "fancy" traditionally fermented soy sauce (I don't really use soy other than that anyway), but at least for me, it's all about balance, especially for occasional use.

I really think this is a pretty darn healthy meal. :)

I would be so proud of myself for this super duper healthy meal. :)

Tonight for supper we had a chicken/corn/rice stir fry over fresh baby spinach and a salad with mixed greens and tangerines.

I can see how some people would call this healthy (would have been SUPER DUPER health food compared to what I was raised eating) while others would find a lot to improve on the meal.

Chicken---skinless/boneless but not organic or free range

onion--again not organic

egg--used a store egg but 99% of the time we use our free range organic eggs from our chickens

corn--from a can, not fresh organic

rice--good old plain white rice, not brown organic

lemon juice--from a bottle, not fresh

soy sauce--just your plain old store kind

baby spinach--fresh but not organic

Don't you know that wheat is the root of all evil these days? :D

I don't consider "healthy meal" to be a black or white thing, more of a spectrum. Any given meal that people are actually willing to eat is likely to be healthier than some, less healthy than others.

I mean... we're eating ribs for dinner tonight, from a goat we raised in our pasture. And he was petted by virgins (my kids are still pretty young) and even extended breastfed. Totally not kidding here - I saw them nursing at 6 months, which is like 10 years in goat-years. But we feed the goats supplemental grains, and there may well be soy in their feed, so the omega 3:omega 6 ratio is going to be a bit off so it isn't as healthy as it possibly could be, you know? And we live near a naval air station so planes fly overhead and dump chemicals on us and all that. And the spices we'll use are standard grocery store spices and probably contain filler chemicals and nightshades and so forth.

So, always room for improvement!

Instead of the corn and rice, I would used broccoli and mushrooms or bell peppers. I would use fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice, tamari sauce (wheat free, lol), organic baby spinach but the onions, eggs and chicken would be non organic.

I don't love salad dinners for the winter (not that I don't think they are healthy!) but I prefer brothy, hot dinners for the winter and I look forward to the summer when we have salads and lighter meals.

So if I had all of those ingredients (if the chicken was whole) I would have cut off the breast meat and most of the dark meat, simmered the bones for stock with the garlic and onions, then made soup. :tongue_smilie:

For the salad, I would've used pomegranate instead of tangerines not for any other reason than I don't like sweet fruit in my salad!

I think your dinner sounds healthy the way it is though. :)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles