Menu

So what is your absolute favorite curriculum that you wish you had found earlier?

DeaconsGarden

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

What is MCT? What do you love about AAS?

We are finishing third grade and I have found many things that work well for us, but I have yet to *love* anything...I am a bit of a curriculum junkie though....always looking for new ways to make learning exciting, ya know?

I like:

Sonlight readers...and my Sonlight markable map :)

Winter Promise hands-on learning

Typing Instructor for beginning typing

Nancy Larson Science for open and go, hands-on lessons

Bob Jones on dvd for making English "fun"

The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading and/or The Writing Road to Reading.

I really, really wish I had heard of the Spalding method in a form other than Spell to Write to Read when I first started homeschooling. It would have saved me a lot of time/trouble and reteaching with my struggling readers.

Math Mammoth/Teaching Textbooks

Creek Edge Press Task Cards - these weren't around until this last year, but wow!, they are amazing. We are loving the Life Science cards and are going to work through the Geography & Middle Ages cards next year. These are perfect for my independent learner and free up some of my time for my struggling reader!

• 1 month later...

Climbing to Good English, especially the handwritten letter, and handwritten composition lessons, and the reference handbooks in the back of the 5-8 workbooks.

Writing Road to Reading's HANDWRITING instructions. I recently felt pressured into making another short and unsuccessful attempt at a font that has a computer version and in just days it was right back to Spalding.

McGuffey's Eclectic Readers, Word List and audios, especially the Word List. There is NEVER a word in ANY lesson that is not first TAUGHT in the word list. So the readers can be effectively used for copy work and dictation, like no other resource I have ever seen.

Draw Write Now 7 and 8, and The Core geography

Augsburg Drawing crayon "paintings" and Stockmar Beeswax crayons

Rod and Staff's Timeline with Great Adventure Bible Timeline. They are the same scale and I taped GABT directly under R&S. One of my students actually gaped at the timeline, because it made so much sense to her. Unfortunately the GABT timeline is two sided so you have to buy two copies to display the whole thing at once.

I'm in the midst of trying other new things and have to wait longer to comment. I have other things I am very content with, but...am not married to.

It's VERY early yet, BUT...the $1.00 red Scholastic Literature guides... :-0 I REALLY think are a keeper. It's the reading comprehension strategies included in each lesson, that over lap again and again, throughout all 19 guides that has really caught my attention. The guides are cheap enough, that I can just use that one lesson feature and skip the rest of the guides without feeling guilty.

I see someone else's post about Professor B and I wonder what I will think about it a year from now.

Edited by Hunter

The Robinson Curriculum. This past year has been our absolute best! I was aware of it years and years ago but I didn't understand what it really was about. I wish I had looked into it when I first heard about it.

Included in that is Saxon math, which is what Dr. Robinson recommends to use as part of the curriculum.

For me, it's the vintage language arts books. Primary Language Lessons for my youngers and Primary Lessons in Language and Composition (free on google books) for my older. After years of trying to implement the latest and greatest, I forgot the power of the basics, dictation and narration. I also use their dictation for spelling, singling out one pattern or rule in their writing. The latter book also has wonderful daily writing lessons.

Like everyone, writing is the area I second guess the most, but relaxing and just having them write something everyday is how I've seen the most growth this year.

An example of a daily writing lesson from PLLC:

Write a letter from the following outline:

Miss Edith Campbell, having gone with her parents to the Catskills Mountains, NY, tp spend the summer, writes her friend . . . to tell her of the following matters:

Her journey

The height of the mountains

The streams running down the mountain side

The walks and the drives

A wish that her friend were with her

Writing like this gives us the opportunity to hone in on such writing skills like using descriptive words, strong verbs, really anything. It's so enjoyable and I love the quaintness of the verbiage.

So bottom line for me, trying to do more with less :001_smile:

B

Nancy Larson Science!! This is the first year we actually finished science and we have been homeschooling for 4 years going into 5. It is the first subject being finished this year and the kids and I still remember so many of the things we learnt from it. Today, my 6 year old son told me, "mom, look at that moth. I saw the feathery antennae and the plump body. That is how I know it's a moth." He also started to use the word "exoskeleton" correctly. We have all enjoyed science this year thanks to Nancy Larson :0)

Julia

• 1 month later...