Menu

So What's the Future of my HB Books?

I am a life-long book collector. Bookshelves and collections in almost every room in the house. LOTS of homeschool books (13 years worth). Our family just got a Kindle and a Nook Color for Christmas. I'm starting to feel like I did when the first cds came out and my cassettes became obsolete. So, anyone else experiencing this angst? I'm I going to start looking ridiculous for having so many books around? What does the future hold? Hmmm.

There are lots of books that will never go back into print again, or be available through Kindle. It's good to save them for future generations.

Picture books are just so wonderful to look at for long stretches at a time. Reading them on a Kindle would almost train the reader to disregard the pictures and go on to the next page as quickly as possible.

What if there were an EMP event and no one had access to power?

Think about your future grandchildren and plan for them. Time goes by so fast.

I like to think of it this way -- in the far distant future, my great-grandkids are going to think of my house as a museum of sorts. It will be the best sort of museum -- touching will be encouraged! They can enjoy my wonderful, physical books and I can enjoy the comfort that owning those physical books brings me. I love e-books and audiobooks, but I'm in no rush to dispose of my "real" books.

I'm not sure, we are enjoying our Nook and Kindle and purchasing & library loaning fewer books. I'm not getting rid of my babies though.:glare:

I have slowly begun to cull through some of our real books by trading them to Half-Price books...That usually means, I come home with more treasure though.

I need TM's and real books for our homeschool...

My big question???Will the prices skyrocket up or down?

I'm a die hard real book lover. I'm considering a Kindle for school next year, mostly for classics and some pdfs, but I have many OOP books and antique books.

I didn't switch my music collection until CDs became popular, cassettes were a convenience, not really an improvement. CDs enhance the music. Now I buy mostly MP3s. I still own a few albums even though we don't have a turntable.

I will be the old woman with too many books. I'm okay with that.

I am a life-long book collector. Bookshelves and collections in almost every room in the house. LOTS of homeschool books (13 years worth). Our family just got a Kindle and a Nook Color for Christmas. I'm starting to feel like I did when the first cds came out and my cassettes became obsolete. So, anyone else experiencing this angst? I'm I going to start looking ridiculous for having so many books around? What does the future hold? Hmmm.

Absolutely not. Keep the books. It wouldn't take much of a breakdown to take the technology offline, or to make it unfeasible to continue providing content that way. Besides, future generations will never learn (directly) about our shortsightedness unless we fully document it in books. They'll only be able to surmise why we don't have them.

I like to think of it this way -- in the far distant future, my great-grandkids are going to think of my house as a museum of sorts. It will be the best sort of museum -- touching will be encouraged! They can enjoy my wonderful, physical books and I can enjoy the comfort that owning those physical books brings me. I love e-books and audiobooks, but I'm in no rush to dispose of my "real" books.

:iagree:

I have no intention of getting rid of my physical books and replacing them on Kindle (what a waste of money) but I am starting to buy my new books on Kindle unless it is something where the format would be better in physcial form. This solves a lot of problems for me. I have just enough room for the books i already own but don't have to worry about finding more room for new books. However, I can continue to accumulate books on my Kindle which makes them much more portable and easier to read. The best of both worlds.