Menu

How in the world...

We are hosting the Father - Daughter dance for Girl Scouts. It is a Harry Potter theme. We are expecting 150 couples. The event begins at 6:00. I was asked to do the food (we are a very small troup - 6 girls) and was told my budget is under $2.00 per person. Then I was told I need to make it hearty, provide little sandwiches or something heavy. The girls want butterbeer (I have a recipe and it is close to .25 each) and other themed food items like Chocolate frogs (.18 each with the chocolate I bought on sale) AND I can not use the kitchen or fridge. AND I live 35 minutes away from the venue.

So the challenge... what can I make to feed 300 people for about 1.00 that doesn't require heating up (I can not rely on crockpots for that many people - I have 3) nor a fridge nor me helping fix it because I will be busy making the special drink of butter beer. Or should I find a real wizard to conjure up some food for our feast.

Thanks Hive - if anyone can solve this it is you guys!!!

Have you prepared food for an event hosting 50 people or more before?

If it was me? I would go back and tell them their expectations are not reasonable. One, it's not reasonable to ask one person to prepare *dinner* (which, is what they mean by hearty) for 300 people. I think you're in way over your head. Your price-point is almost impossible if they want to fill people up at dinner time.

Say you wanted to do something *really, really* simple like tea sandwiches and pasta salad. You would need around a hundred pounds of pasta salad and sandwiches made from 20 loaves bread. Even if you could do hotdogs (which, it doesn't sound like you could) and bags of chips, it would cost more than a dollar a person by the time you buy condiments and all of that.

I think they are being a little unrealistic.

Options:

provide snacks, not a meal

provide sandwiches and ask people to bring side items

increase the budget and get a couple of helpers

Here are some links with menus for big groups, it will give you a better idea of what you'll need:

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/index.html

http://www.party-recipes-and-ideas.com/menu-planning.html#CSP

Edited by Mrs Mungo

OK - I will give it a whirl.....

Given that you can't serve hot foods., you can get cheap, hearty, or themed items. Pick any two.

Personally, I would go for cheap and themed and skip the hearty part. If you are expected to feed these folks dinner, you need a bigger budget.

Cool "Harry Potter" Cheap Stuff:

Bangers - little mini-sausages (cook at home and serve cold) with ketchup.

Chips - potatos are pretty cheap, slice and make at home. Wrap in paper and serve cold.

Puddings - Jello pudding is VERY cheap - especially if you make it with powdered milk (don't wince - it tastes fine!). Serve in mini-paper cups.

Spend the rest of your $$ on treats. Are you handy in the kitchen? Lollipops are EASY and cheap and look cool. You can also do Cake Pops, which makes way more servings than just serving sheet cake (stretch those $$$!). Great project for your girl scout troop and they freeze up well for make-ahead. Fudge is generally not cost-effective, but Meringues definitely are and you can make them in different flavors including chocolate. Again they freeze well and are a good kid project as well as being a bit unusual.

I'm running out of ideas....maybe someone else can help?

Have you prepared food for an event hosting 50 people or more before?

If it was me? I would go back and tell them their expectations are not reasonable. One, it's not reasonable to ask one person to prepare *dinner* (which, is what they mean by hearty) for 300 people. I think you're in way over your head. Your price-point is almost impossible if they want to fill people up at dinner time.

Say you wanted to do something *really, really* simple like tea sandwiches and pasta salad. You would need around a hundred pounds of pasta salad and sandwiches made from 20 loaves bread. Even if you could do hotdogs (which, it doesn't sound like you could) and bags of chips, it would cost more than a dollar a person by the time you buy condiments and all of that.

I think they are being a little unrealistic.

Options:

provide snacks, not a meal

provide sandwiches and ask people to bring side items

increase the budget and get a couple of helpers

Here are some links with menus for big groups, it will give you a better idea of what you'll need:

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/index.html

http://www.party-recipes-and-ideas.com/menu-planning.html#CSP

:iagree:

Except that I think they are being a LOT unrealistic!

:iagree:

Only things I can come up with a budget of $2.00 person (now down to $1), would not be considered a main course... add to that no fridge or way to heat UGH!

Pulled pork can be done relatively cheap (hamburger buns at Costco run $0.17 each... pork shoulder at Costco is $1.69/lb, 8 pound package will make about 50 sandwiches, but 3 normal crock pots will only make about 6#)

7-layer dip with chips... but will need to be refrigerated

Only other things I can come up with are soups/stews which can be made pretty cheaply, and use Crock Pots, but you would still need more than 3. Even with that, you'd still want rolls with butter on the side or something...

Devilled eggs can be done inexpensively... but require refrigeration and TIME (a pain in the neck to transport)

We are hosting the Father - Daughter dance for Girl Scouts. It is a Harry Potter theme. We are expecting 150 couples. The event begins at 6:00. I was asked to do the food (we are a very small troup - 6 girls) and was told my budget is under $2.00 per person.

Wait. Do you mean the troop is doing the food and the dance is for your district council or something? Are the other parents in the troop helping? You need to have a sit-down with them and see what resources they might have available. I have crockpots and chafing dishes, but a group leader wouldn't know that unless she asked me, kwim?

For transporting hot stuff so it will stay hot...

Get a couple of ice chests. For each chest, put a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil; pour the water into the chest(s) and close the lid. Do this while you are heating the food, which you have placed in foil wrapped pans.

After about 20 minutes, drain the water from the chests - opening the lids as narowly as possible, and quicky place the heated food pans inside. Cover with a thick towel and close the lid.

Your food will stay hot a good long time, as long as you can keep the lids closed as much as possible. I would recommend several smaller coolers rather than one large one; they would be easier to transport and you can keep each closed until you actually need the food that's in there.

Also, I have seen lots of throw-away pans that use sterno underneath, you could pick up some of those at WalMart or a party supply store, but that would drive up your budget.

Edited by AuntieM

Also, I have seen lots of throw-away pans that use sterno underneath, you could pick up some of those at WalMart or a party supply store, but that would drive up your budget.

These are handy. Someone in your troop might have the racks, that would make it cheaper. You should also see if the venue has anything like this you can borrow or someone in the Girl Scout council (or whatever you call it in Girl Scouts, I was in Camp Fire and my kids are in AHG).

These are handy

. Someone in your troop might have the racks, that would make it cheaper. You should also see if the venue has anything like this you can borrow or someone in the Girl Scout council (or whatever you call it in Girl Scouts, I was in Camp Fire and my kids are in AHG).

:iagree: Our council office has a lending room with all the stuff for doing hot dinners and such - very low cost or free.

trying to think cheap & hearty, but no idea how to upsize for 300 people....what about corn bread muffins with a small scoop of shredded meat inside? You could cook the meat (thinking whatever meat is cheap near you, in the crockpot w/bbq sauce) ahead, then bake the corn muffins (yes, I realize you need 300 --- get help/ovens to use), slice the top off, scoop out the middle and fill with meat, put the top back on. I don't know exactly how to theme them HP but cheap + hearty, and with the choc. frogs & butter beer I think you are okay doing a non-theme main food for the price, and I think these would taste okay cold.

Good luck; sounds like a massive undertaking and they are crazy not to let you use the kitchen at the venue, besides limiting your budget in this way.

Thanks for the advice. I will ask about a lending room for the council. I have started to think it is impossible as well. I have very little help - 6 girls in the troop. I am the only mom that cooks and therefore the only one that really knows the cost and issues. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that this is too much for our small troop.

Thanks for the advice. I will ask about a lending room for the council. I have started to think it is impossible as well. I have very little help - 6 girls in the troop. I am the only mom that cooks and therefore the only one that really knows the cost and issues. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that this is too much for our small troop.

I think you are going to need another troop to help *or* have other people bring food.

I think this is too much for you to take on alone, *unless* they are willing to let go of the idea of *dinner* and stick with chips and dips, nuts, things like that.

I wonder if we can ask to make it a potluck, and our troop provides desserts? That would be so much easier. I will stay have to make (with the girls help) 300 plus cupcakes etc. I can do that I made 180 recently for the Little Theater. I just can't think past no fridge, no way to heat the food and feeding men!

i'm not sure its doable....

i tried costing out this recipe

BEEF TACOS FOR 100

22 pounds lean ground beef

2-3/4 cups taco seasoning (see recipe)

200 taco shells

6 pounds cheddar cheese, grated

6 pounds lettuce, shredded

3-1/2 pounds onion, chopped

3-1/4 quarts salsa or taco sauce

from this website

http://roundthechuckbox.blogspot.com/2005/06/beef-tacos-for-100.html

at safeway, and it comes to this per 100 people (ie. multiply by 3)

22 lbs ground beef @ $3 a pound += $66

200 taco shells @ 12 for $2.60 = ~ $45-

6 lbs grated cheese @ 5.50/lb = $33-

6 lbs lettuce @ 2/lb = $12

ie. i'm at $150- for 100 people before i add in the salsa and taco seasoning for the meat.... (you could keep just the meat warm in the crockpots, and all the rest is cold).

so i reckon for $2 a person you could do it, and its a manageable recipe for six girls to prepare ahead of time, but that's twice as much money as they've given you.

sigh....

here's a website that tells you what fast food you can get for $1-

http://shareranks.com/4621,Best--Items-at-Fast-Food-Restaurants

maybe wendy's chili?

sigh..... then all you would have to do is order it and have someone pick it up?

good luck!

ann

When we have to feed that many, mostaccioli is the answer. Penne pasta, jarred sauce. We use the pans with sterno under them but have used large roasters (like folks use at Thanksgiving- you probably know folks with these and they're usually happy to loan them.)

Sliced french bread and bagged salad from Sam's. Dessert can be potluck or cupcakes, which are actually pretty cheap to make.

I would spend the money on the Harry Potter themed treats and for the main meal find someplace willing to donate the food. Hopefully a local restaurant, pizza place or sub shop would be happy to donate. (Especially if you explain that it's scouts, how many people and if they know you will give them good 'buzz' at the event and in future newsletters etc.)

I feel for you. I cook for 50-100 on a regular basis.

300 would make me cry.

We feed a very healthy hearty meal for 1 dollar per person, but not at US prices. I also know almost nothing about Harry Potter. I'm not very useful, am I? Beans are cheap. Rice is cheap. Salad is cheap, if you do it right. Carrots and celery are cheap. Are you also providing the plates and silverware and napkins and cups?

Do you have very, very large pots and containers? My limit in making large amounts of food right now is the size of my pots, crockpots, and storage containers. You would be surprised at quite how large the volume of food is for 300 people. I use several very large storage containers just for the salad portion of the meals we serve. Then there are the pots of beans, and the containers of rice, and the giant pot of meat, etc. You will need a truck to transport 300 people worth of a "hearty" meal. It won't fit in a car.

I had thought of the penne pasta with sauce and cheese, but without enough roasters I can't keep it warm.

I hope the paper products comes out of the decorating budget!

I am afraid tacos would be too messy for a ball. The girls picked the Yule Ball theme so they could dress up. We are going to use Christmas decorations and lots of snowflakes even though the event is on St. Patrick's Day. Uggh - I am not a fan of letting the girls make the decisions.

I'm with Mrs. Mungo that you need to let folks up the line know the basic task is impossible. Potluck really is the best way to go, and the best way to share the costs. Perhaps there's been a miscommunication and other troops are also contributing?

Given that, however, I'd suggest rice and beans. For large parties, we do a mixture of rice, veggies (onion, canned diced tomato, garlic, peppers, corn) and black beans. We serve it with grated cheese, salsa, and chips to scoop it up with. The cheese is the most expensive part, and teens can run through a lot of it...

Another option is PBJ's, but there are potential allergy issues and it's not really "man food".

We had a local caterer do a scout event recently for about $6 per person, and he did an amazing spread of hot food. Can expenses be cut elsewhere (building, DJ, whatever) to provide more for food?

Personally, I'm in the I don't think it's at all reasonable camp. In terms of cost or in terms of one person doing ALL the cooking and prep or in terms of the facilities available there (no kitchen!? What!?).

I'd be looking at a potluck, or calling simple caterers (pizza or sub places?) for bids. Are people paying to get into this event?

:iagree: If they want 'dinner', they need to go for a potluck w/ everyone contributing. Or order pizzas or something. I think asking you to make enough of the butter beer for 300 is PLENTY. How do they expect you to transport food/drink for that many, for heaven's sake?

:iagree: If they want 'dinner', they need to go for a potluck w/ everyone contributing. Or order pizzas or something. I think asking you to make enough of the butter beer for 300 is PLENTY. How do they expect you to transport food/drink for that many, for heaven's sake?

I agree.

And definitely ask about paper products. I am willing to bet they are expecting you to provide those.

Pizza would be great, if you can get some donations or more money. Many pizza places will sell you cheese or pepperoni pizzas for $5 each for a non-profit group's large event. The homemade butterbeer is a great idea and would be *plenty* for you to be doing on your own.

I hope you don't think we are picking on you!

I have planned many events/parties and I know what it takes, even for simple fare. Let me give you some examples. :)

Last Halloween we did a party with about 150-200 people. We served drinks, hot dogs, chips, popcorn and cupcakes. At least twelve people cooked and served. It took two people just to pop popcorn (with a hot air popper), bag it and pass it out. I am not even counting the people who made cupcakes, I think there were 4 cupcake bakers.

Last summer we did an event where volunteers made cotton candy and snocones. It took six of us six hours to make 650 bags of cotton candy (with one big cotton candy machine). It took about 6 volunteers at a time to man 2 snocones machines.

A couple of summers ago, we did a Cinco de Mayo party for about 250 people. We had it catered. A van brought the food in two warming racks. Two people made margaritas and five people helped serve.

Serving mostly involves switching out the chafing trays as they empty and helping some of the little kids.

So, I am concerned that you just don't have the manpower. Ugh!! Talk to them and let us know how it works out.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I don't think you are picking on me at all - I think THEY are. I haven't even mentioned that I am still using a cane most days to help me walk. I completely agree that this troop has bitten off more than they can chew. I will have to tell them that it is impossible not just difficult. It will be difficult enough to make the cupcakes, butterbeer, veggie platter, and other goodies.

We've been able to get Olive Garden to donate salad and breadsticks to our events. We have a donation form that we take and it has our nonprofit's info on it, and lets them fill it out as their reminder to claim it as a donation. We use other restaurants, but most aren't national chains. Culver's is very generous.

I agree that it is unreasonable to ask one person to provide hearty food for so many people for $1 per person with no available kitchen facilities. It's not going to happen. Even someone who has not been in charge of feeding that many people should be able to figure out that this is an unreasonable expectation. I have fed many people before, but I can't figure out how to make this work.

I suggest you first ask for help. You need many more people involved. Then you need either a larger food budget or they must lower their expectations to light snacks and donated desserts.

You are quite a dear for agreeing to take this on! It sounds like it will be a fun night for the girls and their fathers, and they can certainly have fun without hearty food.

I agree that it is unreasonable to ask one person to provide hearty food for so many people for $1 per person with no available kitchen facilities. It's not going to happen. Even someone who has not been in charge of feeding that many people should be able to figure out that this is an unreasonable expectation. I have fed many people before, but I can't figure out how to make this work.

I suggest you first ask for help. You need many more people involved. Then you need either a larger food budget or they must lower their expectations to light snacks and donated desserts.

You are quite a dear for agreeing to take this on! It sounds like it will be a fun night for the girls and their fathers, and they can certainly have fun without hearty food.

:iagree: Except that I'd demand help. The other parents from your troop have to step up and help. They can't use the 'we don't cook' excuse. You're not going gourmet here- they can follow basic directions.

:iagree: Except that I'd demand help. The other parents from your troop have to step up and help. They can't use the 'we don't cook' excuse. You're not going gourmet here- they can follow basic directions.

I don't see much cooking skill required to microwave popcorn or ladle chili over a dog or serve a scoop of donated salad/pizza/pasta onto a plate.