Menu

Ready. To. Scream. Sloppiness issue in math with ds. How to correct?

Happy2BaMom

Ds, 9, is usually a joy to hs. He's very bright and eager to participate/please. I do my best to respect his sensitive side and always be kind and patient. But it's a little challenging right now because he is making a lot of sloppy mistakes in math, almost all of them due to handwriting or simple carelessness (FYI: he's doing SM 4A).

I tell him that it's "death by papercuts" in math. He likes to write tiny, so in long division and multiplication, his columns - and thus the answers - get all screwed up, even though the math is right. If he works problems on his own paper, it's difficult to follow the flow of numbers, let alone find the answer (although since I've had him start to circle answers, it's a LITTLE better). He tries to conserve paper, so he'll have three columns of math going, and in the third column he'll run out of space sometimes and write around the edges.

Anyway, my talking about it doesn't seem to change anything - not because he doesn't care, but because he isn't really grasping how to do it different. So I'm going to do a "model" page for him to see/follow. I'm curious, though, as to what others have done with a child who struggles with sloppy handwriting. Do you just have them re-write things over and over?

Side note: We are using WWE for writing, and his handwriting there is OK, although he has to focus on it (and I sometimes have to have him re-write things), and the paper is lined correctly so he has good support. Ditto for spelling.

I'm not so worried about math now, because I know he is understanding the concepts and can do the work correctly. But I am worried about him forming habits that make success in math more difficult in the future (from what I remember about algebra & geometry, you HAD to be relatively neat and organized to stay on track). Plus outside math teachers are not going to take the time to search through scribbles to find the answers.

Any ideas out there?

I've found it useful to have my kids use graph paper to write their math problems on. I insist on one number per box. Also, it's good for SM word problems because they're able to actually make rectangles for the bar models rather than the weird squashed-rectangles they do without graph paper. And it's nice to have it for geometry and area and graphing.

I second the graph paper.

We love it.

ETA, I have him rewrite numbers that are not clear (my 5th grader). The graph paper helps with collumns, but when it comes to deciphering sloppy numbers, I just mark it wrong and make him rewrite it all.

Wish I could offer more help.

Edited by lionfamily1999

I feel your pain. We tried the graph paper, it didn't make a dent.

Here is what I do (we use SM also) I put one chocolate chip or mini-marshmallow in front of him for every question. He does one question at a time and reads his answers to me (I am working with his younger brother while this is going on). If he get the correct answer then he gets one chocolate chip or whatever. If he gets it wrong due to a careless error, then I get the chip. I do not penalize incorrect answers due to honest mistakes. A careless error is one made due to misreading one's own handwriting, not carrying over, making a very simple mistake (such as saying 5x5 is 10 (5+5) instead of 25, not reading the question thoroughly, etc, etc. The difference between a careless error and a mistake due to not understanding procedure etc becomes obvious very quickly.

It is a process and we have good weeks and bad weeks. If we are having a bad week we do math one on one and I have him read each question out loud and tell me his plan of attack before he puts pencil to paper. If we are having a really bad week he has to say everything while I tell him to write it down after he says it.

And, like your son, my kid really is a joy to homeschool. He is a sunny and upbeat person who enjoys school. Oh well, I guess it's better this than a terrible attitude.

I think the graph paper isn't working for us because the problems aren't straightforward multiplication/division/addition/subtraction type problems.

I wonder though, do they sell graph paper with very large squares? The squares on the ones I've tried aren't even big enough for me so maybe that is also part of it.

What size?? :bigear:

You can print whatever size graph paper your child needs.

This site is free and very easy to use.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

:001_smile:

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

:iagree: I just found this this afternoon (after all the graph paper suggestions). I thought at first a 0.5 square size was going to be the best, but ds writes so small that I'm now thinking the 0.25 size will be a stretch for him. I'll experiment with both.

I also like the suggestion of a chocolate chip (although I might use stickers...my kids LOVE getting stickers)...some kind of reward for neatness and organization.

I'm glad to know there are so many who have faced the same issue...I sometimes wonder if it's me, as if I just had him do more handwriting, it wouldn't be a problem (and he does handwriting practice regularly...doesn't seem to help the regular writing much....):glare:

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies!

What helped my daughter and son with careless mistakes was to say they could do all of the odds or evens on a page, except story problems, and if they got them all right, they wouldn't have to do the rest. If they got 1 wrong, they had to complete the page. I can tell quickly if it is a careless error or comprehension error this way, they began to pay more attention to getting it right instead of going, well I only missed 5 out of 25.

I've found it useful to have my kids use graph paper to write their math problems on. I insist on one number per box. Also, it's good for SM word problems because they're able to actually make rectangles for the bar models rather than the weird squashed-rectangles they do without graph paper. And it's nice to have it for geometry and area and graphing.

:iagree:

Graph paper is a great suggestion. We'll try that

At Office Despot, in the "school section" you can get newsprint paper with "standard" graph paper printed on one side and much larger squares on the flip side. We have now graduated to 2 numbers per big square.

Has saved my sanity more than once.