Menu

Paula Dean saves humanity...

So drug addicts aren't addicted either? Most drug addicts I know won't DIE if they don't get the drugs. It does not make the withdrawls any easier.

Don't call my addiction ridiculous just because you don't agree with it!

Even my Dr. says that studies have been done that show some people are addicted to certain types of food. My Type II is a result of PCOS. It makes it harder for me to loose weight and my body does crave carbs in excessive amounts.

Really, you don't have to be so insulting.

PCOS in particular can absolutely make you feel addicted to carbs, flours, etc. I remember that my daughter would almost binge on those things, it was as though she could not stop it. I talked to her doc about it and it isn't uncommon.

She was on metformin and it helped but after she lost some weight, diet and exercise, it has reduced drastically. I had to get all of those things out of the house. We didn't have bread here for about two years.

:grouphug: Good luck

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I REALLY NEEDED and was "addicted" to coffee too, and I still really like it in the morning. But when my appendix blew around Thanksgiving and I nearly died because I didn't go in for three days after (it didn't hurt that much! Thought it was the flu or something), guess what....no coffee. Actually no coffee for a month.

I didn't die or rampage the neighborhood because of it or get the dt's. I did just fine as would anyone who is "addicted" to coffee if they can't have it.

Because you weren't addicted. You just thought you were.

Baloney.

If someone dropped you somewhere else and you had to survive without your "addictions", you'd do just fine.

Yeah, me too, as I just said in another post. But when I had to abruptly stop because of surgery on a ruptured appendix that nearly killed me, hey...all of the sudden that coffee wasn't very important. Didn't have any for a month. Drinking less now, but still like it.

It is a HABIT, not an addiction. You won't die without it. You might have a headache.

Again, you weren't addicted. I could quit drinking alcohol any time without any problem either. Because I'm not addicted to it.

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt here, since you speak so forcefully. Can you share what you have read about the physiology of addiction that has helped you form these opinions? :bigear:

Believing something strongly doesn't make it so.

But the thing is, none of us actually know that.

PD also chain smokes like a fiend.

Every person comes to life with their own set of genes that will determine how they will respond to external factors. My own mother smoked for 40 years, quit, and THEN started having breathing problems. She cruised along for another 20+ years until a doctor made a mistake post-op from a surgery. She ate a "PD" diet - it's what people who were born in the thirties and prior did.

We make our judgements based on what we are told at any given point in the medical cycle - and that isn't necessarily a bad thing - but we also have to take individual human beings into account.

JMO

A

Good point.

Off-topic, but linked to the discussion we are having here at WTM on the subject. Read the Yahoo! News article of Bourdain blasting Deen over this issue. Scrolled down to the comments (never a good idea on Yahoo!) and loved this one pithy zinger:

"...dean likes butter and sugar, bourdain likes cocaine and weed. You pick who is worse."

:lol::lol::lol:

Hubby always complains when we watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations show how blitzed he was due to whatever he was drinking. In later seasons, he seems more sober? And he has been public with his struggles with drug addiction and alcoholism too.

But hey, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones, kwim? ;)

So drug addicts aren't addicted either? Most drug addicts I know won't DIE if they don't get the drugs. It does not make the withdrawls any easier.

Don't call my addiction ridiculous just because you don't agree with it!

Even my Dr. says that studies have been done that show some people are addicted to certain types of food. My Type II is a result of PCOS. It makes it harder for me to loose weight and my body does crave carbs in excessive amounts.

Really, you don't have to be so insulting.

All right. I could have worded that more diplomatically. I should have simply said that there is no such thing as a "food" addiction. No one reacts the same way to not getting her donuts as she does to not getting her meth.

Come ON.

If you stop eating carbs, you will NOT crave them, after a week or two. That's just the way it is. If you stop eating sweets, you will not crave them.

I know whereof I speak. And, by the way, I haven't had a dessert or junk food in 3 years because I remember how scared I was when my side hurt and I was getting worried about gallstones, when I got sloppy last time. I don't do moderation well. I'm not going to eat one cookie. I'm not going to eat one potato chip. So I eat none and I crave none. Carbs are harder to eliminate but you can change them to less undesirable ones.

Again, you weren't addicted. I could quit drinking alcohol any time without any problem either. Because I'm not addicted to it.

I haven't had a drink in 19 years. God delivered me when I got serious about it and I've never looked back. Don't think I don't know anything about this kind of thing.

There is simply no comparison between food habits and something like heroin addiction (which was totally preventable if you just didn't go there, by the way).

I just can't believe all the people who are arguing that there is.

But then I'm not a fan of the victim mentality that says that you can't do anything about something because you are "addicted". Just be honest. Say, "I LIKE drinking that pot of coffee in the morning - or two - and I don't feel bad enough to stop." Or, "I LIKE stuffing myself with food, though I feel overly full and kind of bad afterward. I just like to eat. I should eat better but the price I've paid hasn't been high enough yet."

I can respect honesty.

tex-mex: Hubby always complains when we watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations show how blitzed he was due to whatever he was drinking. In later seasons, he seems more sober? And he has been public with his struggles with drug addiction and alcoholism too.

But hey, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones, kwim?

Wow. I don't follow cooking shows or know who this Bourdain guy is, but wow. If he is a drunk, he really shouldn't be throwing stones, as you say. He just has another problem, instead of Paula's problem.

I haven't had a drink in 19 years. God delivered me when I got serious about it and I've never looked back. Don't think I don't know anything about this kind of thing.

Knowing about what you went through tells you everything about what you went through. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is simply no comparison between food habits and something like heroin addiction (which was totally preventable if you just didn't go there, by the way).

I just can't believe all the people who are arguing that there is.

:confused: I can't believe you're arguing the position of an absolute truth based solely on your own personal experience.

But then I'm not a fan of the victim mentality that says that you can't do anything about something because you are "addicted". Just be honest. Say, "I LIKE drinking that pot of coffee in the morning - or two - and I don't feel bad enough to stop." Or, "I LIKE stuffing myself with food, though I feel overly full and kind of bad afterward. I just like to eat. I should eat better but the price I've paid hasn't been high enough yet."

I can respect honesty.

I can respect hard, scientific evidence. Again, reading up on the physiology of addiction would be a good idea for you. At the very least, it might encourage compassion. If it interests you (or not), my father is an alcoholic. For years (my entire childhood, in fact) I believed he must not love us enough to quit drinking. It was as simple as that in my naive, ignorant mind. In college, I took a course in addiction (a semester long course...lots of reading...want a recommendation? ;)) and learned the truth about the biological process of addiction.

Again, besides your own personal experience (and apparently divine intervention), what is your scientific argument that food addiction does not exist? :bigear:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

PCOS in particular can absolutely make you feel addicted to carbs, flours, etc. I remember that my daughter would almost binge on those things, it was as though she could not stop it. I talked to her doc about it and it isn't uncommon.

She was on metformin and it helped but after she lost some weight, diet and exercise, it has reduced drastically. I had to get all of those things out of the house. We didn't have bread here for about two years.

:grouphug: Good luck

Yep. Metformin did help a lot. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant and while I was nursing. I'm on insulin right now, but I should be back on oral meds soon because my daughter has weaned.

I have to keep all of that stuff out of my house as well because the cravings are just so bad I get ill.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. You don't NEED to. You want to.

I am similar. So I stopped eating those things altogether, when I got older and the inevitable started occurring from my bad diet.

Like any other habit, whatever you "feed" strengthens, whatever you starve does not.

I thought I REALLY NEEDED and was "addicted" to coffee too, and I still really like it in the morning. But when my appendix blew around Thanksgiving and I nearly died because I didn't go in for three days after (it didn't hurt that much! Thought it was the flu or something), guess what....no coffee. Actually no coffee for a month.

I didn't die or rampage the neighborhood because of it or get the dt's. I did just fine as would anyone who is "addicted" to coffee if they can't have it.

When the price is too high to continue something that is hurting you, you will stop. It's that simple. Some are willing to pay a higher price than others are, depending upon what they value most. But there's absolutely no "addiction" involved.

From a professional, clinical perspective; the one in which people are diagnosed - you are wrong. You can have an opinion against the reality of the process of clinical diagnosis, but the fields that have studied and researched the topic disagree with you.

Wow. I don't follow cooking shows or know who this Bourdain guy is, but wow. If he is a drunk, he really shouldn't be throwing stones, as you say. He just has another problem, instead of Paula's problem.

BINGO.

And not to be off-topic or derailing the thread... but it sounds like you recovered from your alcoholism (addiction) from a spiritual POV? Correct? I have heard of this happening to addicts and from what they shared, it is like the Holy Spirit comes and miraculously delivers them -- they do not go through the day-to-day struggles of what other drug/alcohol addicts deal with soberity from a mental/physical POV. Congrats on staying sober.

But I have to agree with Joanne. Clinically one can be addicted to more than just drugs or alcohol.

What's crazy is I would have never classified it as an addiction until I was talking to my cousin one day. She is a serious Meth user. In a lucid state she was explaining to me the way it feels when she wants Meth.

It was eerily similar to how I feel about white carbs and sweets. I actually got goosebumps listening to her. That's when I asked my Dr. and she said that is absolutely possible to have a food addiction. Especially if your hormones are all off or you suffer from insulin resistance like in the case of PCOS or some thyroid issues.

Like with most addictions, you can't overcome it until you can admit there is a problem. That's what has been so freeing about it. I can see it as a problem and now work to overcome it. Sometimes I fail but I am eating a ton better than I was even 2-3 years ago.

That may be true but come on, Paula does not eat butter "properly." Butter CAN cause weight gain, or contribute to it. Weight gain can lead to Type II diabetes.

Actually, not by itself - butter is a fat, which is endocrine-neutral; that is it does not stimulate an insulin response, nor does it increase blood glucose.

Add sugar to it or a good dose of starchy carbs, then you're talking!

:confused:

Are you saying you were an alcoholic? Because before you were talking about coffee.

For the record, I don't think anyone is saying that heroine=alcohol=caffeine=carbs. There are different types of addiction.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

:confused:

Are you saying you were an alcoholic? Because before you were talking about coffee.

For the record, I don't think anyone is saying that heroine=alcohol=caffeine=carbs. There are different types of addiction.

No, I don't claim labels and continually label myself something. That's stupid. It's like continually claiming I am a child, even though I'm over 50. Or continually claiming that I am fat because I was once upon a time even though I'm thin now. Or something like that.

I did have a problem with alcohol that I do not have anymore because I don't drink it. Problem solved. I don't talk about it daily, and meet with others to talk about it, or keep it alive in any way. In fact, I generally forget until something like this comes up to remind me. That's why I couldn't remember if it were 19 years or 20 since I'd start drinking wine right after breakfast. Sometimes for breakfast. I was young and could get away with it for awhile.

I'm not going back.

Edited by TranquilMind

Like with most addictions, you can't overcome it until you can admit there is a problem. That's what has been so freeing about it. I can see it as a problem and now work to overcome it. Sometimes I fail but I am eating a ton better than I was even 2-3 years ago.

Well I agree with everything after the word "addictions".

We are addicted to food in the sense that we must consume some to stay alive.

You are right. You must see there is a problem and the price for your continued behavior is too high to pay before you will start looking for alternatives.

Glad you are eating better.

No, I don't claim labels and continually label myself something. That's stupid. It's like continually claiming I am a child, even though I'm over 50. Or continually claiming that I am fat because I was once upon a time even though I'm thin now. Or something like that.

I did have a problem with alcohol that I do not have anymore because I don't drink it. Problem solved. I don't talk about it daily, and meet with others to talk about it, or keep it alive in any way. In fact, I generally forget until something like this comes up to remind me. That's why I couldn't remember if it were 19 years or 20 since I'd start drinking wine right after breakfast. Sometimes for breakfast. I was young and could get away with it for awhile.

I'm not going back.

Paragraph #1 just doesn't make sense to me on a content level. You've made comparisons that don't compare.

My alcohol problem (which I personally have no qualms about saying is alcoholism) is "solved" also - for nearly 21 years. I meet with people to help them do the same. Win-Win. Your recovery has gone a different path.

Why the (seeming) animosity and tone?

You know what strikes me about Bourdain commenting is that it's not like that guy doesn't eat awesome food. And yes, his thinness might be genetic (though his brother is not as thin as he) but if HE says that her food is killing us, ans he eats like a king...

That king is now on cholesterol drugs... as he jokes about it often. The difference between them though is that he does not always eat/promote the "rich" stuff, and has never pretended to be wholesome. :D

what is your scientific argument that food addiction does not exist? :bigear:

I'm not getting into a round of dueling links that could go on all night, but let's just say that "food addiction" is not included in the DSM...for a reason.

It does not exist. Except that we have to have food to live. We don't have to have donuts or fried chicken to live. When you go through a life-threatening situation, you realize you can live on anything. Broth for a month, for example, and be happy to do it because you got to go back home when the guy in the next room did not.

Now it is true that all sorts of garbage nonfood chemical additives that never used to exist are affecting metabolism and lots of people are fat today while simultaneously undernourished. When I grew up, hardly anyone was fat. But that's a different problem with a villain; those companies that are adding garbage nonfoods to our food supply.

From a professional, clinical perspective; the one in which people are diagnosed - you are wrong. You can have an opinion against the reality of the process of clinical diagnosis, but the fields that have studied and researched the topic disagree with you.

The DSM, that "Bible" of the medical community, does not disagree with me.

Paragraph #1 just doesn't make sense to me on a content level. You've made comparisons that don't compare.

My alcohol problem (which I personally have no qualms about saying is alcoholism) is "solved" also - for nearly 21 years. I meet with people to help them do the same. Win-Win. Your recovery has gone a different path.

There is no "tone" at all. I'm merely expressing the truth the way I see it.

Oh, and I've often ended up in situations where I've been able to talk to people about what God did for me and that He is no respector of persons. Win-win.

Edited by TranquilMind

Dang. I always show up late to these things.

The only thing that really bothers me about the whole thing (Paula's whole thing) is that, while most of us could see this health condition (at the very least) coming a long time ago, is not that she didn't tell anyone for three years (it's her personal business, after all), but rather that upon telling the world, she also announced that she is a spokesperson for a drug company that makes diabetes drugs.

Hmmm.

The decision not tell everyone, not to change her recipes was a calculated one, obviously. Knowing what the reaction would be when the word did get out, she took steps to protect her income by now "representing" a drug company to help "undo" the damage. On the one hand, it's smart. On the other hand, it's disappointing, to say the least. If I had a third hand, I might also suggest it's eye opening - those shows, those recipes...they are all big business, and that's great, but to consider eating a certain way just because someone so sweet and charming as the cook does, and she looks pretty and she seems very happy with her weight, without regard to health, well, it is just foolish.

You know, I've come to the conclusion that for some people, their sense of what would make their quality of life enjoyable trumps having a longer, healthier lifespan. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see where people make their choices & trade-offs according to their own values & priorities. In other words, I'm not assuming it's denial simply because she's making a different choice than I would. Very sad, either way. :sad:

Funny ... When I eat Paula Dean kind of cooking, I feel like crap. I guess I value quality of life as being healthy. I really don't have much respect for "chefs" who have to cook with butter, fat, cream, sugar, etc. Heck, anybody can make something tasty with that. A real chef is someone who can take ho-hum ingredients and make it taste fabulous.

But, I do love Paula Dean in short doses. If you put a gray wig on my sister and give her a couple swigs of Jack Daniels (she sounds southern when she's been drinking) - she could pass for Paula:).

Not surprised

Confession: I don't have cable and I've never watched Paula Deen except in little snippets on other shows (or on youtube).

Ye gods and little fishes, I had no idea her food was as bad as this.

Those lasagna sandwiches. Half a loaf of bread each??? With a double (at least)-sized portion of lasagna???

I'm gonna be sick.

Their 'lunch' would have fed my four big boys (I would have added a salad) with half a loaf of bread left over.

Dang. I always show up late to these things.

:lol::lol::lol:

The only thing that really bothers me about the whole thing (Paula's whole thing) is that, while most of us could see this health condition (at the very least) coming a long time ago, is not that she didn't tell anyone for three years (it's her personal business, after all), but rather that upon telling the world, she also announced that she is a spokesperson for a drug company that makes diabetes drugs.

:iagree:

Hmmm.

The decision not tell everyone, not to change her recipes was a calculated one, obviously. Knowing what the reaction would be when the word did get out, she took steps to protect her income by now "representing" a drug company to help "undo" the damage. On the one hand, it's smart. On the other hand, it's disappointing, to say the least. If I had a third hand, I might also suggest it's eye opening - those shows, those recipes...they are all big business, and that's great, but to consider eating a certain way just because someone so sweet and charming as the cook does, and she looks pretty and she seems very happy with her weight, without regard to health, well, it is just foolish.

Reminds me of the time Jon & Kate (reportedly) went to Dr. Phil and he taught them the value of "branding". Branding your image for $$$. It is a big business. The viewer is led to believe into loyally following a celeb into whatever cause (politically or economically) they tout. Buyer, beware.

Edited by tex-mex

There is no "tone" at all. I'm merely expressing the truth the way I see it.

Oh, and I've often ended up in situations where I've been able to talk to people about what God did for me and that He is no respector of persons. Win-win.

Understood.

However, it can be said you can catch more flies with honey -- instead of vinegar. Your post did come across a bit ungracious and unmerciful.

I'm not getting into a round of dueling links that could go on all night, but let's just say that "food addiction" is not included in the DSM...for a reason.

The post of yours I quoted:

Originally Posted by TranquilMind

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. You don't NEED to. You want to.

I am similar. So I stopped eating those things altogether, when I got older and the inevitable started occurring from my bad diet.

Like any other habit, whatever you "feed" strengthens, whatever you starve does not.

When the price is too high to continue something that is hurting you, you will stop. It's that simple. Some are willing to pay a higher price than others are, depending upon what they value most. But there's absolutely no "addiction" involved.

Is what I called clinically incorrect.

Addiction to carbs is not in the DSM for many reasons. It's lack of being there is not necessarily indicative of whether addiction to carbs exists; THAT is a complicated, political, and social topic.

Lots of stuff in the DSM used to not be in the DSM. What I find particularly amusing but bizarre is that now you're willing to discuss labels. The DSM is chock full of labels (aka diagnoses).

Maybe you're not interested in labels because you weren't an alcoholic. What you're describing regarding the ease with which you quit alcohol is not the experience of true alcoholics (alcohol abuse being a different label entirely). If recovering from alcoholism were as easy as choosing not to drink it... Let's just say that you're being incredibly offensive here. On the bright side, your dismissive and derisive comments about those who need support during alcoholism recovery only serve to make your opinion about food addiction easier to dismiss.

:iagree:Why the vitriol. :confused:

And why the bashing of a fellow WTM'er who was/is struggling with issues? That part I do not understand, either.

Alte Veste Academy: Maybe you're not interested in labels because you weren't an alcoholic. What you're describing regarding the ease with which you quit alcohol is not the experience of true alcoholics (alcohol abuse being a different label entirely). If recovering from alcoholism were as easy as choosing not to drink it... Let's just say that you're being incredibly offensive here. On the bright side, your dismissive and derisive comments about those who need support during alcoholism recovery only serve to make your opinion about food addiction easier to dismiss.

Yeah, ok.

What do I know. My brother drank himself to death, by the way. There but for the grace of God, literally....

Why the vitriol.

I'm actually kind of wondering this right now... though there was never any on this end.

Understood.

However, it can be said you can catch more flies with honey -- instead of vinegar. Your post did come across a bit ungracious and unmerciful.

I apologize. Not my intention. Actually I got in so late that I was merely responding to ideas, not specific people. Though I used specific posts as jump-in points.

I will be more careful in the future.

Yeah, ok.

What do I know. My brother drank himself to death, by the way. There but for the grace of God, literally....

I'm actually kind of wondering this right now... though there was never any on this end.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course. I jumped into the conversation in response to the harsh words you directed at someone who was undeserving of them. (I also believe you're mistaken, obviously, but we'll have to agree to disagree). If you don't see the vitriol of your posts, then I think your passion for your position has taken over. I feel like you're talking in circles, holding back facts that would be pertinent to understanding your position. However, none-of-my-business is none-of-my business, so :grouphug: to you for whatever the reason is behind your issues here.

Maybe this will help; it is from the American Academy of Pain Medicine, American Pain Society and American Society of Addiction Medicine.

"Physical dependence, tolerance, and addiction are discrete and different phenomena that are often

confused. Since their clinical implications and management differ markedly, it is important that uniform

definitions, based on current scientific and clinical understanding, be established in order to promote

better care of patients with pain and other conditions where the use of dependence-producing drugs is

appropriate, and to encourage appropriate regulatory policies and enforcement strategies.

I. Addiction

Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologic disease, with genetic, psychosocial, and

environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. It is characterized

by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use,

compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

II. Physical Dependence

Physical dependence is a state of adaptation that is manifested by a drug class specific

withdrawal syndrome that can be produced by abrupt cessation, rapid dose reduction,

decreasing blood level of the drug, and/or administration of an antagonist.

III. Tolerance

Tolerance is a state of adaptation in which exposure to a drug induces changes that result in

a diminution of one or more of the drug's effects over time."

a

I thought that Type 1 diabetics still ate regular foods, but controlled things with meds. Are Type 2 diabetics different?

Type II is completely preventable AND cure-able with diet.

Type I diabetes *can* be managed partially (and a percentage of people can even be cured) by diet. There are a number of examples. The documentary Raw for 30 shows one of each of these outcomes as well as several Type II'ers who were cured.

I was pre-diabetic a few years ago. It was an ongoing issue that was being monitored. I did use diet to bring it down. It was sweet that diet could make such a huge difference in such a short amount of time. However, I know how difficult it is to make the changes as well as to maintain them. It sickens me what has happened in the last two years. I am working on it though.

(sorry, late to the party...I'm sure I'm missing tons in 156 posts!)

Edited by 2J5M9K

Type II is completely preventable AND cure-able with diet.

Type I diabetes *can* be managed partially (and a percentage of people can even be cured) by diet. There are a number of examples. The documentary Raw for 30 shows one of each of these outcomes as well as several Type II'ers who were cured.

I'm not sure "cure" is the right word. I do see the word "remission". The difference being that if the person goes back to their unhealthy ways, they will be dealing with the diabetes again.

ETA: Weird note. I didn't mean to put a winking smiley. :)

Edited by snickelfritz