Menu

Paula Dean saves humanity...

I spoke to my mom today. She is 'rebellious' about her diabetes diagnosis that she received 5 years ago. :tongue_smilie: The more we try to help with suggestions, the more cookies and candy she eats. :glare: I asked her what she thought about Paula Dean's recent announcement (her hero), and she said, "I think Paula is one great lady, who doesn't take any carp off anybody. More power to her!" :001_huh: See, she really has a huge fan club, and could do so much good, but won't. With my mom, at least, her refusal to eat better is a choice that she consciously makes each and every day. Breaks my heart.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Paula Deen. I LOVE her recipes! But, I do not eat them everyday of my life. I don't know how she eats, but, I would think most people would see that it's probably very smart to eat all things in moderation and to exercise a little bit every day for a healthier lifestyle.

I'm not a huge fan of how she's handled it by teaming up with a drug company to spread the news, but, I am not about to judge how she handles this news. I would think that if I received this news it would take me awhile to let it sink in and deal with what I needed to do to make things better. Maybe she had to do the same.

Not surprised

(this is the Krispy Kreme clip)

RaeAnne, see those links. I searched on the Food Network site for the recipe but I couldn't find it. They are notorious for taking down content that is not favorable to them, so I could see them removing the recipe (if it was ever up) after the diabetes announcement. But one of those links shows her making it, so yes.

Good point.

Off-topic, but linked to the discussion we are having here at WTM on the subject. Read the Yahoo! News article of Bourdain blasting Deen over this issue. Scrolled down to the comments (never a good idea on Yahoo!) and loved this one pithy zinger:

"...dean likes butter and sugar, bourdain likes cocaine and weed. You pick who is worse."

:;)

OK, that's funny :D

Funny ... When I eat Paula Dean kind of cooking, I feel like crap. I guess I value quality of life as being healthy. I really don't have much respect for "chefs" who have to cook with butter, fat, cream, sugar, etc. Heck, anybody can make something tasty with that. A real chef is someone who can take ho-hum ingredients and make it taste fabulous.

But, I do love Paula Dean in short doses. If you put a gray wig on my sister and give her a couple swigs of Jack Daniels (she sounds southern when she's been drinking) - she could pass for Paula:).

I don't feel like crap at all when I eat that type of food. Maybe I have a cast iron stomach? Or maybe it's just SO rich that I can't really eat enough of it to make me feel yucky.

:lol::lol::lol:

:iagree:

Reminds me of the time Jon & Kate (reportedly) went to Dr. Phil and he taught them the value of "branding". Branding your image for $$$. It is a big business. The viewer is led to believe into loyally following a celeb into whatever cause (politically or economically) they tout. Buyer, beware.

See, I don't like the culture of blaming the snake oil salesman for separating you from your money, or even deciding that every questionable product is just as bad as street drugs and those salesmen should reform or be punished. Paula isn't responsible for obesity any more than Hollywood is responsible for poor body images. You HAVE to have the strength of character to seek out what's good for you. Businesses will ALWAYS seek to separate you from your money, but you have to decide to give it to them and the results of that individual choice are on you.

I have exactly two Paula Deen recipes that I use. I watched her make one of them on TV. I make them each about once a year. I see nothing morally objectionable about those recipes existing. They are not dangerous or irresponsible. They're just recipes!

OK, that's funny :D

I don't feel like crap at all when I eat that type of food. Maybe I have a cast iron stomach? Or maybe it's just SO rich that I can't really eat enough of it to make me feel yucky.

See, I don't like the culture of blaming the snake oil salesman for separating you from your money, or even deciding that every questionable product is just as bad as street drugs and those salesmen should reform or be punished. Paula isn't responsible for obesity any more than Hollywood is responsible for poor body images. You HAVE to have the strength of character to seek out what's good for you. Businesses will ALWAYS seek to separate you from your money, but you have to decide to give it to them and the results of that individual choice are on you.

I have exactly two Paula Deen recipes that I use. I watched her make one of them on TV. I make them each about once a year. I see nothing morally objectionable about those recipes existing. They are not dangerous or irresponsible. They're just recipes!

:iagree: with everything that you said. Except...I have only made one Paula Dean recipe.....and it called for a lot of butter (budder):D

Some people eat to live; other people live to eat.

And not everyone needs to be "on a diet" all the time. Sometimes people should be able to enjoy a delicious meal regardless of the calories. I see nothing wrong with the art of cooking such meals. Nobody is forcing anyone else to eat that way three times a day.

I also don't blame McDonalds if there are some people who can't get enough of their burgers and fries.

I use one Paula Deen recipe. I don't watch her show, but last year my DS8 asked for a coconut cake for his birthday. I searched around but couldn't find a perfect recipe. Finally it occurred to me that I bet Paula Deen would make an really good coconut cake. (She just screams out, "I make incredible cake!" :lol:) So I specifically searched for her name and coconut cake and found it. It is to die for. Probably literally. :tongue_smilie: We'll most likely eat it once a year now, on DS's birthday, as it's been requested again. I don't see him changing his mind on his birthday cake. It's that good. Plate-licking good. DH and I are really looking forward to it. :lol:

But we eat it once a year. We only eat cake on birthdays...and maybe our wedding anniversary.

Look at Julia Child. Are we going to judge her for her french cooking in the light of today's low-fat healthy cooking? I think not. Or the fact that some of Martha Stewart's early recipes in her books were inedible or stolen? ;) Buyer, beware.

Off topic: Hubby has been amused by this thread and my comments. He finally saw the YouTube video of the

Now, mind you, the poor man is on day 10 of an EXTREME diet... he just about fainted when he saw her sandwich!! :lol: And exclaimed, "Oh. My. Now THAT is what I'm talking about!!! Can we have that once I'm off my diet?" heeehehehehee :D

Off topic: Hubby has been amused by this thread and my comments. He finally saw the YouTube video of the

Now, mind you, the poor man is on day 10 of an EXTREME diet... he just about fainted when he saw her sandwich!! :lol: And exclaimed, "Oh. My. Now THAT is what I'm talking about!!! Can we have that once I'm off my diet?" heeehehehehee :D

LOL! If you loved him you'd cook it. Dessert? Paula's Fried Butter Balls!

(I'm becoming obsessed, really learning about Paula Deen's cooking style for the first time. I had no idea.)

LOL! If you loved him you'd cook it. Dessert? Paula's Fried Butter Balls!

(I'm becoming obsessed, really learning about Paula Deen's cooking style for the first time. I had no idea.)

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, he has a LIST of the foods he wants once he is off the diet:

1.) Paula's Lasagna Sandwich

2.) In-N-Out Burger & fries --3x patties & "animal" style (I told him I am jealous... I cannot do that. LOL)

3.) A big bowl of homemade chili and cornbread (with butter) :D

Edited by tex-mex

Look at Julia Child. Are we going to judge her for her french cooking in the light of today's low-fat healthy cooking? I think not. Or the fact that some of Martha Stewart's early recipes in her books were inedible or stolen? ;) Buyer, beware.

That lasagna sandwich video is hilarious! "Here's your piece of bread" It was half a loaf of French bread! And then the brilliant idea of a sandwich.

I guess I'm very strange but I find it so funny! I think it would be a rare person that could actually eat like that regularly.

I think the saddest thing is that not everyone does know how to eat healthy. A few years ago my doc put me on a very restrictive diet to gain control of my Hypoglycemia. Late dh's mom was very supportive because she kew how bad I had been feeling. She asked me what I could eat when she invited me to dinner one night and I told her meat, veggies, and a little fruit. When I arrived there was breaded chicken, mashed potatoes, beans, corn, and strawberries with a ton of sugar on them. Her dh was diagnosed with diabetes and actually told me that he wasn't willing to even learn a different way of eating because he isn't going to deprive himself. He will take his medication and eat what he wants. But I don't think it is fair to my kids that they will most likely lose their grandpa in the next few years because he is selfish.

My new MIL was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She actually wants to be healthy and avoid drugs but the diet docs still push for diabetics keeps her on them. I have given her books that explain how bad carbs are for her, but she fails to see anything but sugar as bad.