Menu

Literature Programs for 8th Grade?

Not a program, but this is what my son will be doing for 8th:

http://www.captivethoughttutorials.com/intro-to-literature/

I'm certain it will prepare him for high school literature.

Dd absolutely loves her British Lit class with Miss Mattson this year. The teacher is enthusiastic, the discussions are lively, students are supportive and encouraging of each other, and dd gets good guidance and feedback on her writing assignments. Dd highly recommends Melodee's full year literature courses. They meet live for two hours every week.

LLfLOTR is excellent. The program is so rich that it is irrelevant as to whether or not they have already read the books. (For that matter, LOTR is so wonderful that they only get better w/each reading. ;) )

This is really what my daughter wants to do. Then she says she'll start Excellence in Lit in 9th grade. Hmmmmmm.

Several of the suggestions have looked good.

My 10th grader is using Excellence in Literature with great success. After speaking with him during the break however he is getting a little bored and frustrated with it. He would like to have a more straight forward approach as to what literary devices he should be focusing on as he reads and why.

I showed him an example of Lightning Literature and we concluded he would love to morph these two curriculum together and have more discussion with me about the great books he is reading. This is what he likes from each curriculum:

Excellence in Literature: Links for Research, Approach Papers, and Essays

Lightning Literature: Author/Literature Intro, Literature Lesson, Discussion Questions, and Schedule

My 10th grader is using Excellence in Literature with great success. After speaking with him during the break however he is getting a little bored and frustrated with it. He would like to have a more straight forward approach as to what literary devices he should be focusing on as he reads and why.

I showed him an example of Lightning Literature and we concluded he would love to morph these two curriculum together and have more discussion with me about the great books he is reading. This is what he likes from each curriculum:

Excellence in Literature: Links for Research, Approach Papers, and Essays

Lightning Literature: Author/Literature Intro, Literature Lesson, Discussion Questions, and Schedule

Thanks for this. I can see my daughter feeling the same way. She loves discussion!

Dd14 is doing LLfLOTR this year and will do Excellence in Lit starting next year (9th). I almost skipped the LOTR because I wanted to start with EiL's 8th grade book but I'm so glad we decided to go ahead with LOTR. Dd is getting so much out of the study and she wasn't even crazy about the books to begin with. A dc that loves the books would just be in heaven with this program. Don't let her miss it!

I have Adventures in Reading from the old Adventures in Literature series (from Harcourt). I have been able to find Classic and Pegasus editions pretty cheap. I don't like the Athena editions because they are too busy and eliminated a lot of good texts in that revision.

Adventures in Reading is mostly short stories, with some essays and some longer works (drama and excerpts from Great Expectations).

I'm having them read and then write short essays based on the study questions.

:bigear:

My 6th grader has finished LL7, and I was thinking of going on to LL8 but I think she would benefit from additional writing practice in other areas first, so we're going to take a bit of a break and read mythology for the National Mythology Exam and the Medusa Exam. She's great at creative writing, but not so much with more academic writing. I have tossed around the idea of LLTLotR for later, but I'm not sure. EiL looks potentially interesting. How Christian-specific are either of these?

• 1 month later...

Can anyone compare Lightning Literature to K12's Literature (LA) for 7th-8th grades? Pros/cons?

I am leaning towards LL for it's simplicity in use. For K12, I haven't been able to find any real good examples of the student materials for their Lit Anal/Comp course so that I can see what the actual student work is like and the load for the day/week. I did find a sample online lesson portion, but I am not sure what else goes with it. If he has to do that much online lesson every day including the days he has to read the actual literature (I'm thinking about the novels), it might be too much.

Also, for K12 - if I sign up for a monthly subscription for 1 course, do I have to also pay for the books/materials (particularly the Classics for Young Readers)? Or are they included in the monthly fee? Is there any way to do the literature lessons without the online component?

My son, who is in 8th grade now but has always struggled some with his language courses, will have to do the course mostly indpendently. I want him to be able to follow his lessons from one day to the next pretty much on his own, with my oversight primarily for his writing assignments and just to verify he's doing the reading.

Thank you,