Menu

Do you have local family on your FB page or just friends?

In the past I have had a combination of both on my page but I am getting really frustrated with the family aspect of it. I have a lot of nieces and nephews you are in their early 20's and I don't really like hearing about all the things they want to post about. I love the good contact but I could do without the language, the pictures and all the details!

Have you ever deleted family or do you have family on your account?

I block people whose posts annoy me. That way I don't see their posts but I don't have to have them ask me why I unfriended them when they notice we're no longer friends.

ETA: This applies to family and non-family, although I haven't blocked family yet :P

In the past I have had a combination of both on my page but I am getting really frustrated with the family aspect of it. I have a lot of nieces and nephews you are in their early 20's and I don't really like hearing about all the things they want to post about. I love the good contact but I could do without the language, the pictures and all the details!

Have you ever deleted family or do you have family on your account?

You can "hide" them by unsubscribing from their posts. I do this with probably 3/4 of my facebook friends.

Edited by Element

I have both family and friends on fb. I had to unfriend one teenager who had been my neighbor's foster child for a number of years. I did message her to let her know that my children love to look at everyone's photos on my fb and since she uses words I didn't want them to read, I had to unfriend her. I was pleasant about it and she understood. I am not fb savvy. I didn't realize that you could block posts from certain people. Thanks for the info.

The only "local" family we have, we are on no contact with due to NPD issues. Other family, are on my page. I have blocked my brother when he handed his account over to bio-dad's tramp while he was in jail. He's out and she's out of dad's life...so bro is back in. I've blocked local family as soon as they get an account (once I accidentally reported one for "unwanted contact"...oops! So she now has two pages). And I'm not in contact with several people on my mother's side. Until we are talking in real life, FB won't happen with them.

I block people whose posts annoy me. That way I don't see their posts but I don't have to have them ask me why I unfriended them when they notice we're no longer friends.

ETA: This applies to family and non-family, although I haven't blocked family yet :P

:iagree: I've hidden the post from most teenagers on my FB page. Can't stand the drama and the half naked pictures!

I don't have any local family. But, I have lots of far-flung family. I am the oldest grandchild on both sides of the family (both of my parents are oldest children). I have all of my cousins on Facebook. None of the younger set, even those still in highschool and college ever use bad language or post half-naked pictures.

:iagree:

Most of my teenage/young adult relatives don't post that much anyway -- in some cases just enough for me to comment (privately in my own home to my own kids) that I respected them more when I knew less about them. In most cases it isn't foul language or pictures, it's spelling, punctuation, grammar, and generally coming across as a twit.

Edited by GailV

I unfriended all of my inlaws over fb drama. Life is too short to walk on eggshells.

Ayup.

Downside is, I didn't want to unfriend ALL of them. But to just unfriend some of them.... you talk about drama....

The friends that remain, I don't hide their posts. However, I do have my account set not to display gaming stuff. So in some cases, it amounts to about the same thing.

I am a young adult. None of my friends have ever posted half-naked pictures (that I've seen), and the only Facebook friend I have with spelling issues is my younger brother, who may have a learning disability connected with spelling/writing. I would probably delete any Facebook friend, related or not, who cursed all the time and constantly used netspeak. It would drive me crazy. ;)

I am Facebook friends with all my local family, but I don't feel obligated to do that. I would delete them if we didn't get along in person or if I found the content they posted on Facebook to be offensive.

My only local family is my cousin. Yes, he's on Facebook, and that's even our primary means of communication (he lives downtown and I live in the suburbs), other when he comes up to visit.

None of my relatives post anything particularly racy, though dh's 18 year old cousin can post very silly stuff sometimes.