Menu

Should I be hurt........kids haven't called from camp

It is Day Two of my twins at camp and I am going crazy with them being gone. Neither of them has called home and now I'm going from being worried and missing them to kinda hurt. Is that totally ridiculous? They are 13yo.......but I guess I thought they would miss us a little being the first time away from home for more than a night down the street to a week an 8 hour drive away.

I just don't know how to feel and now I'm even more confused.....

It is Day Two of my twins at camp and I am going crazy with them being gone. Neither of them has called home and now I'm going from being worried and missing them to kinda hurt. Is that totally ridiculous? They are 13yo.......but I guess I thought they would miss us a little being the first time away from home for more than a night down the street to a week an 8 hour drive away.

my son has been gone since Friday and I have not heard a single peep from him. I trust he is enjoying himself and all is well. I think that is a good sign. I keep telling myself that.

Are they allowed to make phone calls? My dd's camp discourages phone calls home because they frequently cause homesickness. Of course, they don't forbid it, but they discourage it, except for emergencies/sickness/etc. There is no cell phone coverage at her camp, so those are out.

Most likely, though, your teens are being run ragged every minute of the day, and then falling exhausted into their bunks at night. There's probably only one phone, and there's probably a line of kids waiting, and your kids just don't have time to wait because they're due for their next activity or they're bone tired.

Don't sweat it, Mom. They still love you, and they'll tell you all about it when they get back.

No, you should be THRILLED. It shows they are wonderfully secure and able to transition into a new situation. They are not worried about you and have no clue that you might be worried about them. They are just very busy (the camp makes sure of that so they won't be homesick) and very happy. I agree with Heather's sister. :)

What you're feeling isn't ridiculous, though. It's part and parcel of being a mama. {{{Rachel}}}

I never called home from camp. It was the last thing on my mind I don't expect my kids to either. It's their time to be away from home having new adventures. Isn't that what you paid for? They'll tell you everything when they get home. Like someone said no news is good news. don't worry. Let them have their fun.

I honestly don't think most 13 year olds would be particularly homesick. This is an adventure for them, and they probably aren't thinking about how you might be missing them. They are just having fun and are busy.

Get used to it:) And be happy you raised independent kids!

You must have two well adjusted kids who adapt well to new situations. It also really helps that they have each other there. My twins don't get so homesick because they have such a large piece of home with them. Camps also keep the kids so busy that they really don't have much time to call home. One of mine actually naps during any down time they are given. (Forget taking a shower!)

Rachel,

Camps typically discourage calls from home unless there's an emergency or complete separation meltdown. It's an eternity for you, but the fun is just getting started for DCs. They also have each other which lessens the homesickness (for them, anyhow).

I know how you feel...all 5 of my kiddos went to camp last year. My triplets were only 7 y/o and only one looked back to give me a last hug.;)

Treat yourself to a special week, sort of a test drive for college separation, while they're out having the time of their lives!

My two oldest (11 and almost 13) are away at Boy Scout camp. First time ever. We were told they weren't allowed to call home unless there was an emergency. But I'm not so sure they'd think to call anyway. I did stuff a self-addressed envelope in their gear, emphasizing that I expect a letter, even though it probably won't arrive until next week. I'll go in their Boy Scout scrapbook. Honestly, I wouldn't have my feelings hurt a bit!

I told her that I expected a daily phone call! Otherwise, I doubt I would've heard from her all week! She tends to be the type who relishes a bit of independence -- but she gets silly when she's with a bunch of friends, and she also tends to be a drama queen (too much Zoey 101, I think.;))

ER (17yob) did NOT call home last night, but I didn't expect him to since he's older and more mature. He'll call on his own every couple of days.

Rachel, the camp our daughter goes to doesn't allow calls home until Thursday (unless, of course, it's some sort of emergency). Because they want to avoid homesickness, they try to keep the kids' minds off home and calling home. In order to call home, the kid has to choose to leave a fun activity and walk all the way over to the building with the phone. They really do try to make calling home seem a little unattractive (at least that's the way it is at the camp we attend). Don't get your feelings hurt... be glad that they are having a good enough time that they dont *need* to call home!

Nope! It means you have done your job. You are raising your kids to be confident and secure even when they are away from you. I know how you are feeling because my ds is gone for 5 days with his grandparents and he is coming home today and I can't wait. He did call, but only because his grandparents told him to. He is having a wonderful time and even though I miss him so much, I'm glad he is able to do this. It is the goal, after all! :001_smile: But, it is still hard!!

Just as others have said, whenever I was at camp, the telephone was kept in a somewhat remote location so as to discourage its use except in the case of an emergency. It would have been possible to call home, but it would have taken real determination on the part of the camper. And every waking hour was filled with activity... I loved my parents very much, and I don't remember ever even *thinking* about calling my parents from sleep-away camp, even the first year I went (at 10 or 11). I did write to them, at least once each visit. That *was* encouraged (and as kids, we just looooved getting mail while at camp.)

Sounds like your kids must be having a great time. I'd actually be more concerned if they *were* calling.

Thank you so much you guys..........this really made me feel better.

Last night I called my 15yo from work and asked him the same question and in his 15yo wisdom said "they are having fun mom, isn't that what you wanted?" So thanks for reminding me that yes that is why I sent them and as a kid I never called home either.....so I need to remember that.

Being a mom sure is hard.............and I find its harder as they get older.