Menu

Exercise thread 1/8-1/14

Good early afternoon.

Anyone have any new workouts that they are going to try this week? I know Hoggirl has Pump that is new for her.

I bought three DVDs yesterday at B&N . It was buy 2 get 1 free. I bought Denise Austin Yoga Body Burn, JM 6 Week 6 Pack, and JM Meltdown Yoga.

Today I did DA's Yoga Body Burn.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the new thread so I posted today's workout in the old one. I'm reposting it here to get it in the right week.

Well I wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be after day 1 of level 1 of 30d shred. So I did it again today. That's 2 days in a row. That's a record for me. Today I did my best to just keep plugging along. I didn't have the coughing fit I had yesterday, but that last set of jumping jacks almost did me in.

I like it so far but wish there were other cardio options than jumping stuff since I have big bOOks and even with a high quality bOOKshelf things bounce a little more than is comfortable.

My plan for the week is to try and do JM 30 day shred level 1 every day. I also have The Firm Express that I haven't tried yet and a bunch of older The Firm workouts that are shorter and fun that I haven't used in over a year so in the next few weeks I hope to use some of those if JM gets boring from doing the same thing every day.

I didn't see the new thread so I posted today's workout in the old one. I'm reposting it here to get it in the right week.

Well I wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be after day 1 of level 1 of 30d shred. So I did it again today. That's 2 days in a row. That's a record for me. Today I did my best to just keep plugging along. I didn't have the coughing fit I had yesterday, but that last set of jumping jacks almost did me in.

I like it so far but wish there were other cardio options than jumping stuff since I have big bOOks and even with a high quality bOOKshelf things bounce a little more than is comfortable.

My plan for the week is to try and do JM 30 day shred level 1 every day. I also have The Firm Express that I haven't tried yet and a bunch of older The Firm workouts that are shorter and fun that I haven't used in over a year so in the next few weeks I hope to use some of those if JM gets boring from doing the same thing every day.

Title Nine has this really ugly bra but it is called the Last Resort Bra. Looks like it is made out of kevlar. Might to the trick.

I trained two hours of Filipino Martial Arts.

Title Nine has this really ugly bra but it is called the Last Resort Bra. Looks like it is made out of kevlar. Might to the trick.

When I said I had large bOOks, I should have said ginormous. The one from title nine only goes to DDD, I'm a 34J. But thanks for trying

8.5 mile today, same as last week, except I shaved a whole minute off my time! I know it's not much, but still makes me feel a little giddy. :tongue_smilie:

That's awesome, I can't even run 3 minutes before I almost die, and that's only if I run at 4mph or less, yep for most that's a brisk walking pace, for me it's a sprint with my short stubby legs. :lol:

When I said I had large bOOks, I should have said ginormous. The one from title nine only goes to DDD, I'm a 34J. But thanks for trying

LOL! Sorry it wasn't the right one for you! Just think that people pay to have what you have. Of course, when I was pregnant I was an E and was most uncomfortable.

2 Miles of Leslie

Today I did DA's Yoga Body Burn.

I have that one. :)

since I have big bOOks and even with a high quality bOOKshelf things bounce a little more than is comfortable.

When I used to go running, I wore 2 sports bras. That always did the trick. A little tip I got years ago from Glamour magazine.

Sunday: 13.1 mile (half-marathon) race.

Well done!

My boys have a play date today, and I got up expecting to have to be ready and leave in an hour. So I ate breakfast. Now I see that we don't have to leave for 4 hours. I can't workout now....I just ate. I cannot stand working out when I've eaten. If only I'd checked my email before eating.:glare:

Great to see everyone's workouts here! Lots of hard work going down!

I walked 3 yesterday and ran 3 today. It felt pretty good. I was listening to an audio book for my workouts last week, but it was so terrible I had to quit this morning. It made me realize that I need some good playlists, so I'll be working on that later. I WISH my Pandora worked well, but no such luck in my neighborhood. :-)

On the list for the week - 3 tomorrow, 3 Wed, Thursday off, 4 or 5 Friday, and 3 or 4 more Saturday.

Les Mills Pump

Pump Challenge - used 10-lb plates today. Very manageable. I'm really not sure how much weight I should be using . The Pump Challenge is pretty much intended to be instructional. I think I need to preview the Pump and Burn DVD tonight and maybe do it next time rather than waiting until next week to incorporate it.

Hard Core Abs - easy. Probably too easy. I think I will have to use other things for ab days.

Flow (yoga) - I. do. not. get. it. You yoga people will have to convince me that this is worth 20 minutes of my time. It is nice for stretching. I guess I am pretty naturally flexible. I have never done yoga before, but I was able to do the advanced moves. I think part of my not getting it is that I am pretty much incapable of relaxing in general. It just sort of felt like a waste of time.

Overall, I think I need to move ahead a bit in this program. I feel very impatient right now. I suppose it is designed for someone starting from scratch which I am not, so I imagine I will be more satisfied when I get farther into the program. Right now I am thinking, "Come on! Let's DO something."

Tomorrow I will do Step again, which WAS challenging for me. I will probably throw in something else - maybe High & Tight from Brazil Butt Lift.

I am out-of-shape & a newbie. Please be gentle with me. My hubby bought an Elliptical machine. He put it together Saturday. I did 10 minutes Saturday and Sunday. I did 11 minutes today. I am trying!!:001_smile:

When I first started getting fit 8 years ago I started out with 15 minute walks around my neighborhood. You start small and build up. "Slow and steady..." and all that jazz. :D Good luck!

I am out-of-shape & a newbie. Please be gentle with me. My hubby bought an Elliptical machine. He put it together Saturday. I did 10 minutes Saturday and Sunday. I did 11 minutes today. I am trying!!:001_smile:

Welcome.

Slow and steady wins the race. :D

When I first started doing cardio ten minutes felt like torture.

Hello! I am starting a new exercise routine and wanted to join in for some accountability.

We bought a new treadmill and my goal is to walk/jog daily 5-6 days a week. I hope to add in a weight lifting session 3 days a week(used to do this) later on. But for now I need to get in the habit of daily exercise!!! My purpose is to get healthy but I need to lose 90 pounds as well. But the weight loss is not my main motivator. I want to get in shape and I know the weight loss will be a nice side effect to my health goals.

The treadmill has the ifit live stuff so today I walked a map in Seattle :D Tomorrow I will do Paris. I do have the Jillian plans I also want to try but this week I just want to get back into the habit with no pain :tongue_smilie:

Dh is supposed to do his workout when he gets home at 3. I work out at 7am. Starting with 30 min a day, working up to an hour. I love having the incline since my area is flat. I prefer walking over running but will eventually get back to jogging and try for a 5k come spring.

Look forward to reading about your fav workouts. I love videos, so do pass on any you recommend.

Les Mills Pump

Pump Challenge - used 10-lb plates today. Very manageable. I'm really not sure how much weight I should be using . The Pump Challenge is pretty much intended to be instructional. I think I need to preview the Pump and Burn DVD tonight and maybe do it next time rather than waiting until next week to incorporate it.

Hard Core Abs - easy. Probably too easy. I think I will have to use other things for ab days.

Flow (yoga) - I. do. not. get. it. You yoga people will have to convince me that this is worth 20 minutes of my time. It is nice for stretching. I guess I am pretty naturally flexible. I have never done yoga before, but I was able to do the advanced moves. I think part of my not getting it is that I am pretty much incapable of relaxing in general. It just sort of felt like a waste of time.

Overall, I think I need to move ahead a bit in this program. I feel very impatient right now. I suppose it is designed for someone starting from scratch which I am not, so I imagine I will be more satisfied when I get farther into the program. Right now I am thinking, "Come on! Let's DO something."

Tomorrow I will do Step again, which WAS challenging for me. I will probably throw in something else - maybe High & Tight from Brazil Butt Lift.

Yoga is difficult to me as well although I know it is good for me.

You will see improvement in your endurance quickly.

Hello! I am starting a new exercise routine and wanted to join in for some accountability.

We bought a new treadmill and my goal is to walk/jog daily 5-6 days a week. I hope to add in a weight lifting session 3 days a week(used to do this) later on. But for now I need to get in the habit of daily exercise!!! My purpose is to get healthy but I need to lose 90 pounds as well. But the weight loss is not my main motivator. I want to get in shape and I know the weight loss will be a nice side effect to my health goals.

The treadmill has the ifit live stuff so today I walked a map in Seattle :D Tomorrow I will do Paris. I do have the Jillian plans I also want to try but this week I just want to get back into the habit with no pain :tongue_smilie:

Dh is supposed to do his workout when he gets home at 3. I work out at 7am. Starting with 30 min a day, working up to an hour. I love having the incline since my area is flat. I prefer walking over running but will eventually get back to jogging and try for a 5k come spring.

Look forward to reading about your fav workouts. I love videos, so do pass on any you recommend.

Nice!

:hurray: It is great you are taking care of "You"

Please don't be intimidated by the Insanity and 8 mile run folks. They each started from scratch at some point.

Set your goals, be persistent and you will be amazed at your progress.

:thumbup: want to give encouragement on getting fit

I love Beachbody DVD's

After being out all day for appointments and getting home at 7:30 I wasn't in the mood to do anything, but forced myself to try. I made a deal with myself I could stop after 10 minutes if I just wasn't feeling it. Well I managed to do day 3 of level 1 30 day shred with only a few rest times. The jumping jacks weren't quite as hard, but midway through the last cardio set my throat was so dry I felt like I swallowed a bucket of sand. I also hate the bicycle crunches because they really hurt my back due to a spinal fusion I had. Is there anything I could sub in there?

Leslie Sansone is a good pick for beginners. Denise Austin also very good. You can get an effective workout but it's all low impact.

Is there anything I could sub in there?

When I really just can't do a move I try different things. I try the move going only half way. I do only a few of the moves instead of all even if it means I only do one. If that still hurts me, I will just skip the move altogether and just give myself a break until the next move.There is no reason to injure yourself doing something that hurts because then you end up not being able to workout at all until you heal. You can always replace a move with something you know you can do even if it's just walk in place to keep heart rate up.

After being out all day for appointments and getting home at 7:30 I wasn't in the mood to do anything, but forced myself to try. I made a deal with myself I could stop after 10 minutes if I just wasn't feeling it. Well I managed to do day 3 of level 1 30 day shred with only a few rest times. The jumping jacks weren't quite as hard, but midway through the last cardio set my throat was so dry I felt like I swallowed a bucket of sand. I also hate the bicycle crunches because they really hurt my back due to a spinal fusion I had. Is there anything I could sub in there?

Hmm, try shifting from side to side.

Get you are on your back, feet flat on the floor, knees bent, extend your arms to your ankles with palms up. With your head lifted a little, bend from side to side, trying to touch your ankles.

You could also try just doing the leg portion, and keeping your upper body lying flat on the floor. It'll still work your abs, especially if you try to completely straighten your leg before bending it back towards your chest.

Thanks, I'll put that in my list of things to try.

Y'all are great, I'm really loving these threads.

I can't wait until I get more into this exercise thing and in shape so I can try some of the Beachbody things you all do.

I bought this and am waiting for it to arrive, hoping that my dh will then want to try P90X with me when he returns from deployment. We can't put up a traditional pull up bar in our rental and the door jam ones don't work on our doors. I know my boys will love it since they both need to work on upper body strength for gymnastics class.

Tuesday:

Les Mills Pump - Step

This is a cardio DVD that came with the deluxe package. I really like it, and I don't like cardio, but it is going to take me awhile before I can do it straight through! It's only 30 minutes long.

I was going to do something else (like BBL High & Tight) but I decided after previewing Pump & Burn from Les Mills which I am going to do tomorrow, I best not!!! Pump & Burn looks pretty good. I am anxious try it. It's funny, b/c it is hard for me to figure out how hard this will be for me just by watching it. I think I will just use 10-lb plates for all of it. It's also hard to know what amount of weight I should be using. Just a learning curve, I suppose. But, I don't need to spend the rest of the week on the Pump Challenge. So, that's why I am moving on to Pump & Burn tomorrow. It is 30 minutes.

I will say that I want my butt and legs to look like Emma's!!! Oh. my. word. That woman looks amazing. I really like all the trainers and how they alternate teaching/leading. In Pump & Burn there is a class of regular-looking people doing it with the trainers. Like that aspect, too.

Tuesday:

Les Mills Pump - Step

This is a cardio DVD that came with the deluxe package. I really like it, and I don't like cardio, but it is going to take me awhile before I can do it straight through! It's only 30 minutes long.

I was going to do something else (like BBL High & Tight) but I decided after previewing Pump & Burn from Les Mills which I am going to do tomorrow, I best not!!! Pump & Burn looks pretty good. I am anxious try it. It's funny, b/c it is hard for me to figure out how hard this will be for me just by watching it. I think I will just use 10-lb plates for all of it. It's also hard to know what amount of weight I should be using. Just a learning curve, I suppose. But, I don't need to spend the rest of the week on the Pump Challenge. So, that's why I am moving on to Pump & Burn tomorrow. It is 30 minutes.

I will say that I want my butt and legs to look like Emma's!!! Oh. my. word. That woman looks amazing. I really like all the trainers and how they alternate teaching/leading. In Pump & Burn there is a class of regular-looking people doing it with the trainers. Like that aspect, too.

Les Mills at home?!? I saw this on last weeks thread but asked at the end of the week, probably too late to get an answer. Does anyone know how similar this is to the Les Mills classes? I take Pump, Step, Combat, CX Worx and Flow at my local gym. I am curious how similar the home workouts are to the gym classes. I was a little surprised when that the website states you can burn about 1000 calories. Is this using more than one of the DVDs? The classes I take are 55 minutes and I have burned 400-700 calories in class.

Keep us updated Hoggirl on how you are enjoying this program. What was the Step like? I am curious how it is similar and different to the classes offered at fitness facilities. The class I take is 55 minutes and the most recent release looks like this:

BS.jpg

Les Mills at home?!? I saw this on last weeks thread but asked at the end of the week, probably too late to get an answer. Does anyone know how similar this is to the Les Mills classes? I take Pump, Step, Combat, CX Worx and Flow at my local gym. I am curious how similar the home workouts are to the gym classes. I was a little surprised when that the website states you can burn about 1000 calories. Is this using more than one of the DVDs? The classes I take are 55 minutes and I have burned 400-700 calories in class.

Keep us updated Hoggirl on how you are enjoying this program. What was the Step like? I am curious how it is similar and different to the classes offered at fitness facilities. The class I take is 55 minutes and the most recent release looks like this:

BS.jpg

It is the same. Les Mills partnered with Beachbody to create a home version of their popular gym class.

It is the same. Les Mills partnered with Beachbody to create a home version of their popular gym class.

I know it is the same Les Mills but it can't be the exact same class format. The DVDs are shorter than the classes. For example, the step dvd is 30 minutes and the step schedule I posted is for a 55 minute class. I am curious what they cut. I :001_wub: Les Mills classes and will probably be full of questions to see if the home version is something I'd like to purchase.

I know it is the same Les Mills but it can't be the exact same class format. The DVDs are shorter than the classes. For example, the step dvd is 30 minutes and the step schedule I posted is for a 55 minute class. I am curious what they cut. I :001_wub: Les Mills classes and will probably be full of questions to see if the home version is something I'd like to purchase.

Some of the DVDs are 55 minutes and some are shorter. The home program is designed for 3 days a week of the lifting and the others days of the week are for cardio. Some of the DVDs that are shorter are to be used on the off days or in combination with other short DVDs. That short step video is scheduled on day when you are supposed to take it easy.

Some of the DVDs are 55 minutes and some are shorter. The home program is designed for 3 days a week of the lifting and the others days of the week are for cardio. Some of the DVDs that are shorter are to be used on the off days or in combination with other short DVDs. That short step video is scheduled on day when you are supposed to take it easy.

@ SJ - I haven't watched all the videos. And, I have never been in a class so I cannot make comparisons. It seems as though the cardio portion must be different from what one does in a gym. I ordered the deluxe set which came witha step, extra 5-lb plates, and three extra cardio DVDs. They are called Step (30 minutes), Sports Attack (30 minutes), and Combat (45 minutes), so it would appear based on what you are saying that the cardio component is shorter than what you would get at a gym. The weight/lifting stuff starts at 20 minutes. There are other weight/lifting DVDs that vary in length from 30 - 55 minutes. That's all I can tell you. There is also an ab workout (about 20 minutes), and a yoga workout (about 20 minutes).

HTH.

First, Steph congrats on the 1/2 marathon, and Xuzi on the 8.5! I'm so impressed!

Well, I started the dreaded Insanity yesterday. Today was the plyo thing where everybody dies in the end and Shaun just keeps going. My thighs are killing me and I can't do a burpee to save my life.

Need encouragement!

Jeri