Menu

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie...

Have you seen it?

Dh & I saw it last night. Enjoyed it. (Not sure 'enjoy' is the correct word. Appreciated it. Thought it was well-done.....)

I read the books & had seen the Swedish version of the movies when they first came out. I like the Swedish version of the movie better, though I think the American version of the movie more closely followed the book. I wasn't surprised by how graphic the Swedish versions (of all 3 books) were, but I was a little surprised at how graphic this version is -- kind-of unlike the 'typical' American cinema fare, kwim?

I am glad that I already knew the story going in, partially because I found the sound in the movie strange. There were times the talking volume seemed low (vs. background music) & the accents/manner of speaking were hard to follow in some parts (at least for me). Did anyone else notice that???

I have some questions for those who have seen it....

1. If you have seen both the Swedish & American versions of the movies, which did you prefer?

2. Did you read the book or books before seeing the movie?

3. If you did not read the books, did you have a hard time following the story in the movie?

4. Fan of the book(s)? Fan of the movie? Both? Neither?

1. American. I enjoyed the Swedish one but I preferred Lisbeth in the American version and thought she really nailed the character. I loved her communication style (I am a SLP so I'm a nerd about that stuff).

2. I am 1/3 through the last one so yes. I have not watched the second Swedish film yet.

3. DH had not so he said he was lost a lot (we saw the American version first) BUT that he was still intrigued and enjoying the movie. It all came together for him at the end.

4. Both :)

1. Only saw the American version.

2. Got about 100 pages into the book and stopped reading it because it was not moving quickly enough for my taste. Too much time spent on detail/"character development" for me. After the first 100 pages, when I found myself still not caring about anything going on in the book, I took it back to the library.

3. It wasn't hard to follow. She had a crappy life. He got screwed over. They came together against a common "enemy."

4. Neither. Both the book and the movie were too long and drawn out for me.

1. If you have seen both the Swedish & American versions of the movies, which did you prefer?

Saw the Swedish version of all three books. Am looking forward to seeing the American version.

Read all three books before seeing the Swedish version.

3. If you did not read the books, did you have a hard time following the story in the movie?

When I saw the first movie, I remember thinking that it would be hard to follow for someone who had not read the book.

Fan of both. For the people who say they couldn't get through the first 100 pages, you just need to slog through them. After that first section, the book gets really good.

Stacia, thank you for this thread. Dh and I have both been very reluctant to see the Hollywood version. Now, we may do so. I'm sure, that like you, we'll still prefer the Swedish version. But good to know that it might be okay. Low expectations help! ;)

I have not seen the Swedish version. I did read the books first. I prefer the books (per usual) because they can, of course, provide a lot more detail. I thought it was well done, however. My husband went with me and he followed it pretty well, but I think knowing all the background details from the books helps you understand the characters a lot more in the movie....

I haven't seen the American movie yet but I was struck by the appearances of the characters. The people who were supposed to be attractive in the book (Blomkvist, Erica Berger, a couple others I can't think of now) were not attractive to me in the Swedish version. The American actors are, to me, much more attractive. Just my American view of beauty, I suppose.

DH and DS2 went to see the movie on New Year's Eve. The next day, DH went to Books a Million (which was open!) and bought the trilogy. He started with book 2, then 3, then 1. He loved the movie and the books.

I read all the books years ago, and loved them. I don't want to see the movie because I don't want to see the violence.

Edited by RoughCollie

1) I have seen the Swedish version and a little less than half of the American version (as we have a "screener" copy, but my wife fell asleep, which is no reflection on the film).

The American version is more stylish visually, but so far I'm preferring the Swedish film. I especially liked the Blomkvist and Lisbeth casting choices in the Swedish film. The actress in the American version is leaving me cold.

In some ways the American version (thus far) seems to be doing a better job with the plot, while the Swedish version was uneven. There was too much reduction to just the most graphic scenes.

2) Yes I read them. the Swedish version might have been hard to follow otherwise, and was mildly annoying for some of the changes in the plot. They can't win :D

3) Probably yes for Swedish version. US version more comprehensible thus far.

4) Not a "fan." Not my genre. Yet they captured my attention and I read them intently and with dispatch.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I preferred the American! I would watch Daniel Craig stomp rats for hours on end but I also think he was a perfect Blomkist. Aside from being pretty dang easy to look at, I think he's a fabulous actor and I have watched/enjoyed some of his more obscure English films. I also like this Lisbeth better but I will say that I thought the graphic scene in the American movie was more... umcomfortable.

Read all of them prior to seeing any of the movies.

DH did not read any of the books and had a hard time following the plot. He spent half the movie in the lobby on his cell phone so there you go. :glare:

I thought the first book was the best. The third book was my least favorite. I think SL almost devolved as an author there a bit. I'll watch all the movies but perhaps not in the theatre. I still prefer movies at home in my bed in my underpants with my own dang Milk Duds than going to a theatre.

I haven't seen the American movie yet but I was struck by the appearances of the characters. The people who were supposed to be attractive in the book (Blomkvist, Erica Berger, a couple others I can't think of now) were not attractive to me in the Swedish version. The American actors are, to me, much more attractive. Just my American view of beauty, I suppose.

Wasn't Blomkvist supposed to be sort of a normal somewhat-attractive middle-aged guy in the novel? But not a heartthrob. The Swedish actor strikes me about right. He is not James Bond.

Bill

Wasn't Blomkvist supposed to be sort of a normal somewhat-attractive middle-aged guy in the novel? But not a heartthrob. The Swedish actor strikes me about right. He is not James Bond.

Bill

:iagree:

Haven't seen the Fincher version yet, will wait till dvd, but I'm sure I will enjoy it, since I love all his movies. Yet, I know I will find it too polished too Hollywood compared to the small budget Swedish ones (which I really liked). I'm a big fan of Michael Nyqvist, and have seen him in a number of other movies. Daniel Craig is a good actor, but not Blomkvist in my mind. Layer Cake is still my fav of his.

I liked the first two books, but somehow never moved onto the last, though it's on my "to do" list.

Ok, I'm going to sound crazy for asking this, but...

I have not read the books.

I started watching the Swedish version and the first 'graphic' scene bothered me so much I had to turn it off.

Should I therefore assume that I do NOT want to see the American version? Plot-wise, it still looks interesting to me. But idk if I can handle the graphic-ness.

Bill

Honestly, it might have just been something I imagined. I figured he slept with nearly every woman he met, he must be somewhat attractive?? Or is that just a Swedish thing?? Hello, how are you? Want to jump in the sack? When I read it, I pictured him as good-looking and I didn't find the Swedish actor attractive at all.

I do think that it is sad that I didn't find the Swedish Erika Berger attractive because she had wrinkles. I'm too used to the perfect Hollywood types I guess. They ruined me!

Ok, I'm going to sound crazy for asking this, but...

I have not read the books.

I started watching the Swedish version and the first 'graphic' scene bothered me so much I had to turn it off.

Should I therefore assume that I do NOT want to see the American version? Plot-wise, it still looks interesting to me. But idk if I can handle the graphic-ness.

I've heard the American version is more graphic. I've warned my sensitive best friend to not see it even though I loved the books and the Swedish movies.

1)The American version is more stylish visually, but so far I'm preferring the Swedish film. I especially liked the Blomkvist and Lisbeth casting choices in the Swedish film.

I agree, Bill. I love the casting in the Swedish film (& thought they were 'prettier/more attractive' too).

I also agree w/ you that this is not really my 'genre'. I liked & can appreciate the story & intent (& I absolutely love Blomkvist & Salander as characters), but overall, this is not my style of book or movie.

I'm a big fan of Michael Nyqvist, and have seen him in a number of other movies. Daniel Craig is a good actor, but not Blomkvist in my mind. Layer Cake is still my fav of his.

I liked the first two books, but somehow never moved onto the last, though it's on my "to do" list.

Same here. Thought Nyqvist was perfect in the role.

Loved Layer Cake.

And, I've read the first 2 books, but not the third.

If the graphic scenes in the Swedish movie disturbed you, you should probably skip seeing the American version of the film. It was also extremely graphic (almost more so in a couple of scenes?), imo.

Some more musings....

Some product placements really are glaring in some movies. Here, of course, Apple was front & center, but I was ok w/ that because Larsson made such a big deal out of detailing all the computer stuff in the books.

The other think I noticed & it bugged me: opening credits mention Trent Reznor did the music. Then, in the scene where Lisbeth went to her hacker friend, he was wearing a NIN t-shirt. A question for those who have the book handy -- does the book actually specify that he wore a NIN shirt???? (I could see Larsson doing that, but I just don't remember.) If it wasn't written specifically in the book, though, I have a problem w/ that tee just because it seems like such a sell-out to his genre of music, kwim? :tongue_smilie::lol:

So, please, someone who has the book, can you answer that for me??? It's been bugging me ever since I've seen the movie. LOL.

Edited by Stacia

Have you seen it?

Dh & I saw it last night. Enjoyed it. (Not sure 'enjoy' is the correct word. Appreciated it. Thought it was well-done.....)

I read the books & had seen the Swedish version of the movies when they first came out. I like the Swedish version of the movie better, though I think the American version of the movie more closely followed the book. I wasn't surprised by how graphic the Swedish versions (of all 3 books) were, but I was a little surprised at how graphic this version is -- kind-of unlike the 'typical' American cinema fare, kwim?

I am glad that I already knew the story going in, partially because I found the sound in the movie strange. There were times the talking volume seemed low (vs. background music) & the accents/manner of speaking were hard to follow in some parts (at least for me). Did anyone else notice that???

I have some questions for those who have seen it....

1. I have only seen a portion of the American version. I left and got my money back. Sil has seen both; she preferred the Swedish version.

2.No

3. I was following the story fine.

4. Not a fan of the movie, obviously since I walked out. I will not read the books because of the movie.

The extreme graphic nature in the film was not necessary. It would have been far better to cut away and leave that to the imagination. The director went too far here. Instead of censure, he will probably earn awards for it instead. Me, I do not think it should have been allowed to be released to the public without stronger than an R rating. Imho, it crossed the line of what should be publicly acceptable.

Edited by Lolly

Honestly, it might have just been something I imagined. I figured he slept with nearly every woman he met, he must be somewhat attractive?? Or is that just a Swedish thing?? Hello, how are you? Want to jump in the sack? When I read it, I pictured him as good-looking and I didn't find the Swedish actor attractive at all.

I do think that it is sad that I didn't find the Swedish Erika Berger attractive because she had wrinkles. I'm too used to the perfect Hollywood types I guess. They ruined me!

And I'm exactly the opposite. I hate how airbrushed actors look in US movies. I really like watching movies with actors that look like real people (wrinkles & all). Many in the west have been brainwashed into believing in bodies & faces that are unattainable, even many of the actors in real life don't look like they do on film (lots of makeup/lighting/body doubles). It just sad...

I figured he slept with nearly every woman he met, he must be somewhat attractive?? Or is that just a Swedish thing?? Hello, how are you? Want to jump in the sack?

On the whole, Europeans tend to be more open about their sexuality. Doesn't mean that other cultures don't indulge, obviously. Just that Europeans tend to more open and free about it - fewer hang-ups and less hypocrisy, I guess. Being free about one's sexuality has little to do with attractiveness. Besides, beauty/attractiveness lies in the eye of the beholder and is such a subjective thing.

I never think of wrinkles as being unattractive. I love the fact that not all European movie stars are required to look like Kim Kardashian. :001_huh: I'm trying to avoid suffering from

. :lol:

And I'm exactly the opposite. I hate how airbrushed actors look in US movies. I really like watching movies with actors that look like real people (wrinkles & all). Many in the west have been brainwashed into believing in bodies & faces that are unattainable, even many of the actors in real life don't look like they do on film (lots of makeup/lighting/body doubles). It just sad...

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Thank you!

Edited by Negin in Grenada