Menu

Cream of Whatever soup

I don't use Cream soups anymore. I use this for our substitution:

1/3 c. bean flour (white beans)

2 c. chicken broth

or use vegetable or beef broth with the bean flour.

You can add in pieces of mushrooms or celery, if you want.

There are also some other recipes out there using instant dry milk powder...but I don't have those exact measurements. You can probably do a search for cream of ..... (healthy substitutions)

Over the holidays I made a huge batch of our own dry mix for "cream of whatever" soup. All I need to do is add water to the mix (over heat) and then supposedly use it for any recipe that calls for the cream. I haven't tried it yet, but I am hopeful that it will work.

I can post the recipe I used if you'd like. I will tell you that it is NOT a more inexpensive way to go (as I was hoping). It was costly to make, but if I don't have to go out to the store or have to use that junk, then it will be worth it.

Here is a video from everydayfoodstorage.net that shows how to make cream of soup fairly easily.

http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2008/11/10/make-your-own-condensed-soups-from-magic-mix/food-storage-recipes

This is the magic mix recipe http://everydayfoodstorage.net/about-food-storage/magic-mix

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Just curious....what's bad about the "cream of whatever" soups?

The "whatever" usually. :tongue_smilie:

It's only white sauce with flavourings, preservatives and emulcifiers. You can make white sauce without those things in about the same time it takes to find the can opener. (Or maybe it is just my toddler who has a thing about the can opener. :glare:)

Rosie

Just curious....what's bad about the "cream of whatever" soups?

It is a strange colored gelatinous blob with brownish bits that (to me) looks like vomit :ack2: *sorry*

Here is the ingredients for Cream of Mushroom Soup:

Water, Mushroom, Vegetable Oil (Corn and/or Cottonseed and/or Canola), Modified Food Starch, Wheat Flour, Contains less than 2% of: Cream (Milk), Salt, Dried Whey (Milk), Natural Sea Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Soy Protein Concentrate, Yeast Extract, Spice Extract, Dehydrated Garlic.

I can easily make a white sauce out of butter, flour, chicken broth, salt, pepper, milk/cream and I can add mushroom sauteed in butter or olive oil. Even better if I add a touch of white wine.

A basic white sauce definitely works as a substitute. I make mine with lowfat milk, but have been known to throw in some bouillion on occasion, just so we don't die from the lack of chemicals. (And because it's yummy and easy.) Broth would work too, but waters down the milky goodness.

2 c. chicken broth

There are also some other recipes out there using instant dry milk powder...but I don't have those exact measurements. You can probably do a search for cream of ..... (healthy substitutions)

Do you have to heat this up or cook it before using it? Or do you just throw the ingredients in with your recipe? My family has had to give up some of our favorite casseroles because of my lactose intolerance (going on a year now) and this sounds like a great substitute!

I just went through this with my MIL this wknd. I told her that I don't like the cream of soups. She made hot dish/casserole for everyone with cream of soup... and french onion soup mix. YUCK. Nice MIL and yucky looking casserole. I made my Chicken Divan with Organic White sauce made with half oat/half whole wheat freshly ground flour.... with butter and milk :) Yum :)

I can't stand all the processed garbage.

I do a thick white sauce and add in a little meatless broth powder from Frontier to give a little chicken-y flavor, or saute some mushrooms in a little olive oil and add to it for the mushroom variety.

The nice thing about this is, since we are eating vegan, I can do the same thing with Earth Balance and coconut milk (the refrigerated variety) or almond milk and I have a good, creamy vegan white sauce!

2 c. chicken broth

So this would replace 1 can? Do you make your own bean flour with a grain mill?