Menu

Public school parents (former or current)

My little guy has a few bumps on his face (and one on his neck and one on his bottom). The one he has had the longest now is very well formed, ripe for scratching open? LOL He's not scratching them. I tried to look at a pic of a chicken pock close up and compare, but I just don't know.

So school starts back tomorrow (btw, he also missed 4 days right before the break). Do I wait a day to see what happens? Do I take him into the school nurse and let her decide if it is chicken pox?

Yes, he's vaccinated. However, almost every single child I've known in real life (mostly working daycare) who has gotten the vaccine has also gotten chicken pox. So I don't put much stock in the fact he's vaccinated.

But one link said that vaccinated kids supposedly get very light cases (less than 30 lesions). And obviously he wouldn't even been to the peak yet anyway.

Sooooooooo....I don't know what to do. I hate to keep him home unnecessarily and yet I don't want to infect the entire preK at the school either.

It may not be the chicken pox, but it's *something* and I wouldn't expose everyone to it. It's preschool; keep him home. It's not like he's going to fail his exams!

This is what I was gonna say. I'd hate to be the one to, even accidentally, expose so many young children to chicken pox unnecessarily.

Sorry Pamela. Hope it's nothing!

It may not be the chicken pox, but it's *something* and I wouldn't expose everyone to it. It's preschool; keep him home. It's not like he's going to fail his exams!

:iagree:

He'd be exposing the other kids, plus whatever adults are there, including ones that may be pregnant or have immuno-compromised folks at home. If it was high school, it might be a different call, but for preK, keep him home.

I'd call the school and ask the nurse to meet you at the car to see him - do not take him in the school. In fact - just call the pediatrician and have her/him take a look (they may meet you at the car, too, or use a side door.) It is not worth the risk of exposing folks.

I feel for you. I know both of my children got chicken pox after being vaccinated, so I don't have any idea why people bother with the vaccine, other than the nurse gives you a hard time if you don't do it.:tongue_smilie:

I'd keep him home myself. If it's nothing its only one day.

Just an FYI regarding the school 'nurse'...make sure she is actually a nurse. When my kids were in PS theyhad one RN for every so many schools that traveled and did screenings and whatnot but the person in the health room was actually a school health technician of some sort who called herself a nurse. That's a thread topic/rant of its own but in this situation a health room tech isn't going to do you much good so if you go that route just make sure the nurse is actually a nurse first.

Just an FYI regarding the school 'nurse'...make sure she is actually a nurse. When my kids were in PS theyhad one RN for every so many schools that traveled and did screenings and whatnot but the person in the health room was actually a school health technician of some sort who called herself a nurse. That's a thread topic/rant of its own but in this situation a health room tech isn't going to do you much good so if you go that route just make sure the nurse is actually a nurse first.

:iagree:.

We'll see how he looks in the morning. I might wait another day just to make sure. I agree that rashes, esp when you're talking about so few spots, are hard to pinpoint. I've heard of docs disagreeing. To make it worse, I have a gyn appt in the morning (chatting about hormonal issues).

He probably just has a few spots from nothing. But I would hate to infect anyone. I like the idea of having the nurse (she is a nurse) come out to the car. If I decide to take him tomorrow, I'll do that. I may do it Wednesday instead so I can evaluate the situation further.

Although a school health technician is not a nurse, I'm sure she/he is trained for just these types of situations. I'm sure they could make the call as to whether the child should be in school or not.