Menu

Anyone else realize the older they get, the less they actually knew?

My oldest is entering that puberty / teen stage and I wish I could apologize to those parents I silently judged years ago. She's a great kid who has an eccentric taste in fashion. I let her dress how she wants, though. She's in honors classes, makes all A's, wants to be a judge, is more motivated than most adults I know, and has a huge heart.

While we were out today I heard a young family comment about her boots and how she was on her iPod (which was a gift yesterday so it's new and being used a lot right now) and how they would never allow their kids to do such things. :tongue_smilie: I realized I used to be those people and it made me feel bad.

I've just realized I really didn't know as much as I thought I knew. I've also realized how much I value the advice and wisdom of those who've been there (when before I think I mostly ignored it).

Well, it happens. We all get to eat a little crow when we get there.

I remember when my ds was 5 years old and he got a Gameboy for Christmas. He was so thrilled with it and was playing with it at Grandma's when my SIL, whose only child was still a baby said, "MY children will NEVER have those stupid things (like a Gameboy)." I resisted the temptation to say, "Just wait." ;) She has four boys now and they sit with my boys and the other boy cousins, all playing their DSis and DSXLs and DS-whatevers. :D I have resisted the urge to remind her of her former belief about those "stupid things."

Yep. I wonder how much I don't know now, compared to in 20 years when I'll be looking back...

This is what I worry about, too. It's like just when I think I've got it figured out ~ I realize I don't. I called my mom today and told her I loved her. :tongue_smilie: She just laughed!

My oldest is almost 29 and my youngest is 12. I am absolutely amazed at what I have learned in the intervening 17 years. I had my children in groups of two, the 29 and 26 year old, the 20 and 18 year old and the 15 and 12 year old. Each group swears that they were raised by totally different parents. To hear tell, the oldest two were raised by Hitler while the youngest two are free range. :tongue_smilie:

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

-- Mark Twain

I also found this when I was looking for the first quote (off subject, but irresistible):

"In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made School Boards."

I distinctly remembering driving all over town to buy specific type of underwear for my dd (now 17) when she first potty trained. The memory makes me laugh.

I was one of those moms that wanted to be intentional and think things through a do a great job with my kids. Unfortunately, that often translated to thinking that because I researched something I actually had knowlege.:lol:

I love being an older mom, now I know I'll mess up... and it will all be o.k.

Aaaaand now I'm off to email my parents. I need to apologize for being the teenager I was.

Having 14 and 17 year old stepkids will do that to ya, I guess. :D They really are great kids, but like most teenagers, they certainly are, ahem, challenging at times.

Hope my folks enjoy the email. :tongue_smilie: