Menu

I want some scarves for my purse

Oh, ponytail scarves.....never thought of that, although I don't know where to get them.

I think I could make some.....not sure I will go to the effort! :D

Dawn

The girls over on the Purse Forum use Coach ponytail scarves and Hermes Twillys. I bet pretty pocket squares would work, too...and then you could spend more money on books! ;)

Thanks, here in Australia a purse is the equivalent of a female wallet. The small thing that holds cash and cards that you put into your handbag.

That's probably the original, English meaning of the word, don't you think? We Americans tend to morph words from one meaning to another. :lol:

I'm shamelessly hijacking this thread! My MIL always calls purses "handbags" and pants "trousers." Now, I'm not saying this is wrong...but she's not British! I feel like this is some sort of affectation - and not a consistent one! She doesn't call sweaters "jumpers" or sneakers "trainers." French fries aren't "chips" and popsicles certainly aren't "ice lollies!" So why has she latched on to those TWO words and INSISTED that they are the absolute correct words for Americans to use? It's driving me nuts... :tongue_smilie:

I'm shamelessly hijacking this thread! My MIL always calls purses "handbags" and pants "trousers." Now, I'm not saying this is wrong...but she's not British! I feel like this is some sort of affectation - and not a consistent one! She doesn't call sweaters "jumpers" or sneakers "trainers." French fries aren't "chips" and popsicles certainly aren't "ice lollies!" So why has she latched on to those TWO words and INSISTED that they are the absolute correct words for Americans to use? It's driving me nuts... :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe it's a generational thing? My mom (an American) always carried a handbag and dress pants were trousers.

Maybe it's a generational thing? My mom (an American) always carried a handbag and dress pants were trousers.

My mom always called dress pants slacks. I have only heard my grandfather refer to his pants as trousers.

As to the OP, I have never heard of scarves for purses. I am lucky to have a plain black purse I bought for 50cents at the goodwill lol before this was the green giraffe print one I won, and before that was the diaper bag. I am so not a trendy purse girl. :lol:

I had to get used to the lingo here in NC when I moved. Purses are pocketbooks and shopping carts are buggies.

The first time I was in a Walmart parking lot and a woman came up and asked me if she could have my buggie I had no idea what she was talking about. I was thinking of a stroller or something! :lol:

Dawn

Adding to the hijack, because I also have no idea what a purse scarf is. :lol:

MIL calls handbags/purses "pocketbooks" and for some reason that gets on my nerves. Not quite as much as my mom calling pants "slacks", though. :thumbdown:

I often interchange British lingo with American. Not as often anymore because I have lived in the States so long, but I grew up in a former British colonized country so I grew up using lori of truck, pram for a baby carriage, lift for elevator, cutlery for silverware, serviette for napkin, etc.....

My parents, who stayed there until far more recently, still use those terms often.

But the one that bugs me is my dad has those rain boots he puts over his shoes and he insists on calling them rubbers! :lol:

We used to call erasers rubbers......until about Jr. High when we learned what Americans call rubbers! :lol: Then we Americans stopped using the phrase and would giggle when we heard it.....yup, we were in Jr. High!

Dawn

I often interchange British lingo with American. Not as often anymore because I have lived in the States so long, but I grew up in a former British colonized country so I grew up using lori of truck, pram for a baby carriage, lift for elevator, cutlery for silverware, serviette for napkin, etc.....

My parents, who stayed there until far more recently, still use those terms often.

But the one that bugs me is my dad has those rain boots he puts over his shoes and he insists on calling them rubbers! :lol:

We used to call erasers rubbers......until about Jr. High when we learned what Americans call rubbers! :lol: Then we Americans stopped using the phrase and would giggle when we heard it.....yup, we were in Jr. High!

Dawn

My dad calls them rubbers, too! :lol:

This is also bringing back flashbacks of my first trip to Ireland, when I had absolutely no idea what anyone was talking about for days on end! :lol:

so wait....now I'm not only supposed to get myself and my children dressed decently, I'm supposed to dress my purse?!?! And all this time I've been letting my purse run around nekkid!

(the saddest thing isn't that I didn't know you should dress your purse, which I didn't. It's that I haven't CARRIED a purse in almost 2 years...just a diaper bag. And it's not getting dressed.)

Yes, handbags are handbags, purses go into handbags and often have a clever little metal closure. Trousers are lower body, full length garments not otherwise specified, eg not jeans. And rubbers protect one's dress shoes from inclement weather.

I don't dress any of them, but a bag scarf has come and gone many times over the past century. Off the top of my head, I wonder if they didn't start as a decorative option to avoid pinning a Kleenex to one's head to go to Mass (something my mother and aunts did on occasion in the 1950/60s when they found themselves unprepared).