Menu

Saturday night poll: What is your favorite pasta shape?

What is your favorite pasta shape?  

1. 1. What is your favorite pasta shape?

• Spaghetti
    • Fettucini
    • Angel Hair or Spaghettini
    • Lasagna noodles
    • Macaroni
    • Shells
    • Penne
    • Rotini
    • Novelty shapes (letters, superheroes, etc.)
    • Other (please explain)

Dh made dinner tonight--macaroni with meat sauce. It was good, but I realized that I don't really like macaroni. Don't know why... it tastes the same and all, but it just isn't... as good. We generally have a multitude of pasta shapes in the pantry at any given time, and we all have different favorites: Dh likes macaroni, older ds likes rotini, younger ds likes spaghetti, and I prefer fettucine.

So how about you? Do you have a favorite?

I don't care for macaroni or spaghetti, but am fine with any other shape. I've never "met" anyone who felt the same. Most people think it's odd and amusing that I dislike certain pasta shapes. I don't have a favorite -- only the two that I prefer to avoid.

Lisa

My dh has issues with certain pastas going with certain sauces and thou shalt not put spaghetti sauce on fetuccine or alfredo on macaroni. It's all the same to me, but I love the texture of the rotini.

OK, I wouldn't turn down any pasta....ever.

Well... my dh is a comic book geek.

How much? Well, about ten years ago now they sold Kraft mac n cheese in "superhero" shapes. It had lots of superhero shapes all mixed up, and dh had once lamented in passing that they didn't sell them individually so you could just buy your favorite hero. So as a birthday gift (funds were tight!) I bought 20 boxes or so and hand separated them by superhero. So he could eat Superman macaroni and cheese, or Flash macaroni and cheese, or Wonder Woman macaroni and cheese. It took hours and hours... but he loved it! Best gift for my dh under $15 ever!

It really depends on the dish, but my favorite pasta dish is angel hair with garlic and oil, a touch of spicy tomato sauce, and feta cheese. My second choice is a Lenten dish: angel hair with oil, garlic, mashed anchovies, and spicy breadcrumbs.

My dd, however, would vote for mini penne, hands down, and I'm guessing my dw's vote would go to rotini. But we have typically have 8-10 different shapes of pasta in the pantry, from "soup macaroni" (little bitty shapes to cook in broth) to lasagna noodles. Can you tell that before she became Mrs. Plaid, my dw's last name was an Italian one? :) I am one lucky man.

Guest Teresa in the South

It definitely depends on the sauce/dish. I chose macaroni because I love macaroni and cheese; it's such great comfort food. But it has to be the fat macaroni, not the little bitty kind. I also like gnocchi and cavatelli; probably because I never fix them at home, so I consider them special Italian restaurant fare.