Menu

daughter is having a MRI tomorrow...

she is 11...how can I prepare her for this....I have never had a MRI, so I don't know what to tell her. All I know it that she has to lie very still for about 30 minutes...she is all upset about being bored. Is there anything I can tell her to help prepare her...she has a high anxiety level that I am trying to temper.

she is 11...how can I prepare her for this....I have never had a MRI, so I don't know what to tell her. All I know it that she has to lie very still for about 30 minutes...she is all upset about being bored. Is there anything I can tell her to help prepare her...she has a high anxiety level that I am trying to temper.

If she is not claustrophobic, it's a cinch. She will need to lie still for the time period. She'll be lying down on the "bed" part and it will slide into the tube part. The MRI machines are built differently and in some the tube is not as narrow/close to your face as in others. MRIs can be really noisy like banging hammers-on-metal noisy for party of it. Annoying. I believe I've had one with music though. You can hear the technician and that person will be able to hear your daughter. If she is claustrophobic, I would call the doctor that ordered the test and ask for some Valium. You could do that even if she's not claustrophobic, but is just super anxious. They will also give people blindfolds to lay over the eyes. That also helps the claustrophobia for some people.

she is anxious, but I don't think to the point where she will need a Valium. I wonder if there is something else I could give her to calm her some, but not so strong. Any thoughts on that for me. I don't think the one she is going to have music...that wasn't shared with me...and I was also told it was loud...but I don't know how loud....what will happen if she moves a little bit...will that mess up the whole test...

what is the difference between a MRI and a CT scan?

she is anxious, but I don't think to the point where she will need a Valium. I wonder if there is something else I could give her to calm her some, but not so strong. Any thoughts on that for me. I don't think the one she is going to have music...that wasn't shared with me...and I was also told it was loud...but I don't know how loud....what will happen if she moves a little bit...will that mess up the whole test...

what is the difference between a MRI and a CT scan?

What is she anxious about, exactly?

The technicians are usually really good about explaining what will happen because they regularly have to deal with claustrophobic folks. They will also keep in conversation with someone who is anxious and will slide them back out if it becomes too much for them. I doubt there is anything milder than Valium that will have enough of an effect to relax her, but if she's not actually phobic, that is probably not necessary. The test itself is not a big deal. She just lies there. She will likely keep her clothes on as long as she doesn't wear any metal. Have her wear a sports bra if she wears a bra and wear elastic waist pants. I might google MRI and see if you can find some photos. That often helps.

An MRI uses magnetic resonance imaging and a CT uses ionizing radiation. The CT machine is also a tube, but much shorter, like a yard or less, so doesn't usually generate claustrophobia. The MRI machine is a tunnel that her whole body will be in. As far as noise, I pretty much told you--it sounds like a hammer hammering metal, but not the whole time, just at certain points.

it is her knee. The MRI is a traveling machine...it travels from small hospital to small hospital. I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

I am not an expert ;) I'm just married to a former CT tech. I know the newer machines are faster. I wonder if a travelling MRI is an older machine.

But whatever...if they said 30 minutes, then that's what you have to deal with. can you keep DD up later and wake her up earlier so she is tired? Or would that make her cranky?

Never had one that traveled! the ones that I've had (I've lost count) You have to be still for periods of time while it takes the pictures. If you move, they have to do that section of the test over. It's usually in 5-8 minute segments. They supply earplugs and music. It is loud when the machine is doing the test. In between runs it is quiet. Jackhammer loud. Pounding type of noise. But painless. The only pain I ever had was from holding an injured part still for a long period of time and then moving it to get up. So she might have some knee pain when she goes to get up from the MRI. As a homeschool mom, MRIs are actually rather relaxing :)

I had one on my neck last year. It was very, very, very, very, very, very loud. This is coming from a mom of 5 boys. It sounded like jackhammers and Star Wars all rolled up into one. They gave me earplugs, but it was still loud. I wasn't prepared for that part.

The rest wasn't bad.

For knee MRIs they strap your leg down pretty well, so it's not like she has to make herself stay still. She just needs to relax and rest and wait for the time to pass. They'll give her headphones/earplugs for the noise. Only her lower body goes in the machine for knees, so claustrophobia should not be a problem.

I had one on my knee and they strap your knee to what looks like a soft knee brace. I fell asleep and apparently moved but they could still use it.

It's very cold in there so wear warm socks and sweater. I would also bring a cd of music in case,if they have cd player.

As others have said its very loud and boring.

When my son had an mri we went online first and watched some videos of how they worked, the noise etc. We ended up having him sedated for the procedure because he couldn't lie still for 45 minutes, nor stand the noise. We had to prearrange as he had to fast and couldn't have any drink or water for 12 hours before. I don't have the links anymore, but do a search on children and mri's. There are some neat videos.

I've had at least 2 MRI's/year for the last >20 years now, sometimes more. I have seen just about every type of machine they make :). I have also had to put my kiddo through one when he was 6-7 years old, and my older DS had an fMRI as part of a research study. Ask anything.

First of all, the techs should be really, really good about putting your child at ease, from welcoming her to the room, easing her into everything, and introducing and explaining all of the equipment and the procedure before anything is done. They are really good at relaxing patients in most places (every place I have ever been to).

If it is a traveling MRI machine, it probably will be a "closed" MRI machine, or the tube. However, for a knee, they may well only slide her lower body into it, and not her head. Depending upon their protocols, she may even be permitted to wear her own shirt (I would encourage a sports bra, no underwire, to increase those chances) but expect to have to gown up and remove her jeans (underwear can usually stay on, as well as socks). Don't bring earrings, rings, belly button rings, toe rings, bracelets, or other jewelry with you; she will just have to remove it.

They will ask if there have been any surgeries or if she has any metal in her body anywhere (braces? Retainer?) and if she has ever done any sheet metal work, because the MRI is a giant magnet.

An MRI is not painful. It is not radioactive like a CT scan; it's not an X-Ray. If they are going to do it "with contrast" then she will receive a quick injection of gadolinium in her arm which can make her feel a little "warm" and make her mouth taste like iron briefly, but is not uncomfortable (if you are expecting it). You can request a cream called in to the pharmacy ahead of time to numb the inside of the elbow; apply a thick dollop of it (using gloves) and wrap it in cellophane 30 minutes before the procedure and she won't feel the needle going in. Not all MRI's require contrast dye.

It is noisy. Each series of bangs like a jackhammer in different patterns will last between 20 seconds to 5 minutes, depending on the shot they are taking, and the techs will tell her as they start each set if she needs help getting through it. If she's calm and doesn't need that help, they'll just move on through. My knee MRI's were done standing up, but with a mobile unit, I am guessing hers will be lying down, which should be a small blessing-- it will be easier, strapped in, to remain still. They do a good job of immobilizing the area.

Boredom. Not usually a problem. Just close your eyes, and listen to the music. Practice your times tables or the kings of England. Name the capitals of the world in alphabetical order. Take a nap.

Comfort/safety. The techs should make her comfortable in every possible way before starting. Extra blanket if it's cold, bolster under her other knee if she needs one, head and neck comfy, a place for her arms. **She will have a bulb to squeeze if she is unhappy about anything or needs help**. The room is wired with microphones and the techs can hear everything she says, so if she says she needs to stop, they can stop and put her at ease before continuing. She will be basically lying on a narrow bed, but well secured to it. After lying so still, they will help her get up and treat her respectfully.

MRI vs CT: As I said above, there is no radiation from an MRI imaging itself, whereas there is considerable amount from a CT. MRI and CT imaging capture different types of things well; soft structures are better captured on an MRI (ligaments and tendons, for example; anything with higher water content). If you are hunting for that sort of thing, as you usually are in a knee, a CT is not a good choice, as it does not capture soft tissue.

All in all, and MRI is a pretty easy experience, and 30 minutes is not too bad (that sounds pretty accurate for a knee). Nothing scary should happen in there. Just remember no jewelry; discuss any braces if present (they may be fine depending on composition, type of MRI, and body positioning).

And . . . good luck :).

She should be just fine. My girls have done many many of these.

They have video goggles here at our local hospital though so my kids are actually UPSET that the MRI is done before their video is done. I tell them TOUGH---an MRI machine is wayyyy too expensive of a movie theater so they will just have to do with watching part of a video :-)

Not to make light of this thread but this is like finding the most relaxing time of your week to be getting a dental cleaning or a yearly pelvic exam:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, an MRI is nothing to worry about. It's noisy but it doesn't hurt, and the time passes very quickly. I don't think you need to prepare your dd for it at all -- the more you talk about it, the more she will think there's something to worry about, and there isn't.

I have had MRIs and they never took anywhere near 30 minutes, unless you count the time it takes to get set up on the table and listen to the tech explain how everything works.

Don't know if you will see this and I didn't see it in what I skimmed.

but also tell her if something is uncomfortable to tell the techs. My son had to have one of his shoulder, and when they did the straping in it was a bit off for him, so holding it still was hard and he moved so yeah they had to redo that part.

When he got out he said it was a bit uncomfortable and the tech appologized saying he could have told them and they could have adjusted it.

there could be some uncomfortableness to things but some things can be readjusted to be okay for them.

He had his first at 10 and then several more for other things when he was 11-15.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, an MRI is nothing to worry about. It's noisy but it doesn't hurt, and the time passes very quickly. I don't think you need to prepare your dd for it at all -- the more you talk about it, the more she will think there's something to worry about, and there isn't.

I have had MRIs and they never took anywhere near 30 minutes, unless you count the time it takes to get set up on the table and listen to the tech explain how everything works.

LOL. I actually see what Catawoman is saying here :lol: nobody is invading your body in any way. You are lying by yourself, eyes closed if you wish, and nobody is interrupting you or asking anything of you... In my case, usually for anywhere from 45-75 minutes ;). It is kind of heavenly when you think of it that way.

I loved my most recent MRI (I have epilepsy and other health stuff, so I've had a few over the years). They put soft, poofy headphones on me that blocked out most of the noise and played classical music for me. It was nice to be able to just lay there and not feel guilty that I wasn't cleaning or something. :tongue_smilie:

I am touched that you all are asking how things went....thanks so much. IT went great. Your thoughts and ideas were VERY helpful....she didn't like the noise, but she did very well. We are now waiting to hear what they found out. Any idea how long that might be...could I expect to har something before Christmas...we are leaving for almost 2 weeks right after Christmas and I would love to know something before we leave...but we will see. thanks again for your encouragment and support...you guys are GREAT!!!!!!

Depends. I have gotten results in 24 hours or less. With my kids (not a traveling MRI) they have a tech reading it as they do the scan.

I can often go to medical records and request a copy of the results even before the doctor gets them......just a trick I learned....but not all places work like that.