Menu

Stressing out

On Friday morning past my kids wake me up saying their toilet had overflowed. No biggie, happened before, right? Oh no. It overflowed all right...over the bathroom floor, down the hall, into the playroom, all 3 kids bedrooms and hall closets...sopping toilet yucky water everywhere soaking the carpet. Thankfully, we live in a one story house. My dh got a call from me about it. He thought we could save it. HA! Sunday, some men from our Church came over after and helped us rip out over ~1200 sq ft of nasty mildewy carpet, pad, and carpet tack strips. The foundation was wet still in some places. Now I am looking at ~$7000 for new flooring...NOT carpet! I called our insurance company who gave us part of the money with the cravet of getting some more when we prove the work was done. Oh, and it's not just the carpet, its all the baseboards, the vanity cabinet, 2ft up the drywall, and grout in the kids' bath to remove, too. Do ya'll know how expensive that is? ASTRONOMICAL! So not only am I seriously upset, stressed, and freaking about where to come up with the difference and worried about the health implications, my kids are stressed and misbehaving about the house being torn up, the dust from the foundation, and the weird smell the foundation has. We are all very affected by our environment being 'off'. Tramua!!!!

Thanks for reading...please pray for us.

The insurance company did send a cleanup guy out with no charge to me. He said the walls, foundation, and baseboards, outside of the bathroom, are all fine, Thank goodness. There was no mold anywhere, either. Or we would have had to stay at a hotel (at insurance company's expense) for 2 days. Can we say nightmare? I will say this company has been roughly equal to USAA.

Yikes. :grouphug:

Did the guy the insurance company sent out run the dehumidifiers and fans for a few days? We've had 2 - yes, 2 - floods that sound similar, although thankfully not quite as bad due to the layout of our house... And each time the water mitigation company set up huge (and loud) equipment. It was horrible, but knowing that the moisture level was being monitored to that degree gave me peace of mind. Whatever the guys that came out did, I hope you are satisfied that there will not be on-going mold issues.

My kiddo stressed and misbehaved while we were dealing with the floods, too... It was not fun. I hope you can all get out of the house a lot! ...In the meantime, maybe an air purifier would help? And changing the air filters in the house more often?

:grouphug: Sorry you are going through this.

Oh no. I hope you can get it all straightened out very soon. That's far too much stress.

We had a toilet overflow from the supply line in our rental home last year. I woke up to the sound of running water and it was heading down the stairs and through the kitchen ceiling below (through the can lights). The damage wasn't as extensive, but it was bad enough even in the relatively short period of time it was running.

When we needed our roof replaced due to hail damage, our insurance company paid half and then when we sent in the final bill they sent us a check for the second half. However, we talked to the roofing company because we don't know how to come up with the second half while waiting for the insurance check. They did not expect any payment from us until the check came (husband was unemployed at the time so we simply didn't have any money). We talked to several companies trying to decide who to have do the work and they all said the same thing. Second half of payment was due when the insurance check came.

Maybe you can talk to whoever replaces the carpet and see if they are willing to wait for the second payment until the money comes from the insurance company.

Hope you can get it worked out. It sounds like a mess.