Menu

Free or cheap date nights?

Dollar movie theatre

Go out to coffee

Go on a hike

Bird watching

Go to library and read magazines

Picnic

I made a date night calendar one year for my dh for Christmas and he loved it. It had a pocket on the bottom with gift cards for our outings. I put a Starbucks gift card, card to Sprouts to get picnic items that we used for a summer concert in the park, movie tickets...etc.

Edited by Ferdie

DH and I like to walk to the ice cream parlor then to the park. We swing and toss a Frisbee.

Bring crossword puzzles or other puzzles to a fast food place and just sit with sodas for a couple of hours. This was our standard college date--we had lots of great talks this way!

Edited by AndyJoy

$1 menu and window shopping at the mall (during the winter)

My husband loves the water so going down to the river and just talking without being interupted would be nice. Or he can fish while there would make my dh very happy as well.

Also, find a sitter that will take your kids and watch a movie at home w/out kiddos.

I'm looking for some ideas for free or cheap date nights with dh. This year for Christmas I want to promise him at least one date per month but I want to pre-plan them so we will actually do them!

If you want to go out to dinner on the cheap, go to a Mexican restaurant and order a side of beans, a side of rice, a side of tortillas and a side of Pico de gallo and make your own bean burritos at the table. Where we live, this is less than $10 for two of us, and for our family of nine, we can eat for about $25.

If you want to go out to dinner on the cheap, go to a Mexican restaurant and order a side of beans, a side of rice, a side of tortillas and a side of Pico de gallo and make your own bean burritos at the table. Where we live, this is less than $10 for two of us, and for our family of nine, we can eat for about $25.

Awesome tip!

Candlelight picnic in the park,

Redbox movie night

$1 bread and go feed the ducks

Fly a kite from the dollar store

Plant a garden

Split a soda or icecream, two straws or two spoons is always fun.

Join a pool or gym and go work out together.

Go clothes shopping and find who can pick the best outfit (you don't have to buy the clothes just try them on.)

Whipcream and TeA. :lol:

The independent paper in Albany did a list of free/cheap date nights way back when I was in college and I wish i could find the article. Some of the suggestions involved "going somewhere you might be expected to spend money, but you have to be strong and just not." Like "test drive a car you really like" and "hang out at the animal shelter petting the puppies." Oh there was also "hit open houses in the posh neighborhood."

There are museums here that are free or nearly one night a month - see if your area has something similar. If you're in a college town, there might be lectures or something that are open to the public. Pick a game you both enjoy and go play it out of the house somewhere - a wine bar, coffee house, etc. Geocaching?

If you live near a winery, there are probably free or low cost tasting nights. Same for factory tours.

In nicer weather, go to the park and feed the ducks. Save old bread scraps and the dregs of dry cereal for tossing.

Ok, one thing DH and I do that isn't out of the house but has been a great way to reconnect is to spend an hour or so in the evening bathing. I mean that in a totally non-sexual manner. Just the two of us hanging out in the bathroom, taking a shower, he trims his beard and I deep condition my hair. We chat about work and gossip about friends etc. It is very relaxing and fun. It is intimate and easy. Hey, you gotta take a shower at some point. We aren't in the shower at the same time. We take turns and just keep each other company. Oh, and DH has learned about the wonders of exfoliation, lol.

It is free, after all!

Y'all are awesome! When I get to my other computer, I'll try to remember to link a blog. It had a cute idea for presenting the gift. Only her ideas were way beyond our budget--like tickets to a Broadway show, concerts, fancy dinners out. But the presentation was nice!

If you have an ikea near you, they have an supervised indoor playspace that you can leave your kids in for up to 1.5 hours if you get their free family card. You also can get free coffee or tea.

Kids also eat free on Tuesdays so we'd often go, have dinner ($2 for all you can eat soup or salad bar--our family of 8 could eat for $4:), and afterwards take our kids to the playplace while dh and I sat and sipped tea...I have to admit, we go often enough to feel guilty :blush:

Here's what I have planned so far:

A free concert (country, folk) at a local library

An afternoon of browsing antique shops in the historic downtown area of a nearby town followed by a visit to a candy factory a few blocks away where you can watch them make chocolates and get free samples

A musical at the local university (there are $8 tickets but we might splurge for the $15 tickets)

An evening picnic at the park

A drive-in movie ($4.50 tickets)

A free evening show at the planetarium at the local university

A visit to the Wells Fargo Museum (free)

Once I started looking, there are quite a few free events and free places to visit in the area.