Menu

Need advice about formal dance for my son. Poll included!

MBM

Should the corsage have the teddy bear?  

1. 1. Should the corsage have the teddy bear?

• Yes! He's so cute. Wish I had one of those.
    • No! That's practically an engagement ring.
    • Other. Matching tatoos, maybe? (just kidding!)

My son was asked to his first dance the other day. It's a formal freshman dance and will have a theme, so kids can dress for the theme or wear formal wear. I'm pretty sure my son's date will be wearing something formal.

Anyway, the girl who asked him is very shy and sensitive. I have a feeling this is her first big dance as it is for my son, too, so I thought it would be nice to make it memorable for her, especially since traditionally the girls pay for everything -- dinner, transportation, and tickets. A lot of them shell out serious bucks although the school sets it up so they don't have to. (Thank goodness.) This girl is very wealthy, so she will possibly go all out. My son will probably give her chocolates and a corsage, and I thought maybe the florist could attach a little teddy bear keyring as a keepsake.

http://www.steiffusa.com/productdetail.aspx?productid=039300

What does the hive think? Any other suggestions?

Btw, we are not big on the whole dating-in-high school scene, but my son was surprised by this. He had never even heard of the dance!

Thoughtful! I personally think the chocolates and the corsage are enough though. Unless he knows this young lady very well and feels like she would like some 'extra' keepsake...

P.S. I didn't vote.

I think the corsage is enough, unless he knows her well. More might be a little uncomfortable - or sweet! All depends on the girl!

Well, the price tag kind of shocked me too, but that wouldn't bother some people. If money is not an issue, then I think the gesture is sweet. I don't see it being some sort of romantic overture. A giant teddy bear would scream Be My Sweetheart Forever kind of thing. A small keyring is just an extra little thought to go along with the pretty flowers.

BTW, I could totally see my dd19 paying for something like that and not batting an eye.

I wouldn't. It may make ds look like he has greater expectations for the relationship than it being just a dance. Maybe if they end of going to a spring formal (or other event down the road) together he could add in the key chain, but for a first dance I wouldn't.

Lesley

:iagree:Not so much about relationship expectations, but setting gift expectations.

Okay, there's another part to this. Her father is one of the interviewers for his alma mater, and my son is strongly considering that college. LOL. No pressure.

The girl is a real sweetie-pie. Very altruistic and kind.

Many of the girls shell out about $500 for this dance. I know -- outrageous. The school knows not all of them can or want to, so they make it formal-less as well. I remember in college I spent ten cents on my formal wear! It was a beautiful, blue silk skirt I found at Goodwill that I paired with a sweater. I wish I had kept it.

Steiff makes a $15 teddy bear. Maybe that one? Then again, maybe it's too much. I tend to be a too-much kind of person. :tongue_smilie: My son is not, though.

The teddy is kind of cute but not worth the price. To me it says frivolous spending, when one could probably walk into Walmart and get something similar for $5.00.

Were it me I'd tie the chocolates and the keepsake together in something like this or this.

Oh, those are very nice and a clever way to give a keepsake. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Okay, there's another part to this. Her father is one of the interviewers for his alma mater, and my son is strongly considering that college. LOL. No pressure.

The girl is a real sweetie-pie. Very altruistic and kind.

Many of the girls shell out about $500 for this dance. I know -- outrageous. The school knows not all of them can or want to, so they make it formal-less as well. I remember in college I spent ten cents on my formal wear! It was a beautiful, blue silk skirt I found at Goodwill that I paired with a sweater. I wish I had kept it.

Steiff makes a $15 teddy bear. Maybe that one? Then again, maybe it's too much. I tend to be a too-much kind of person. :tongue_smilie: My son is not, though.

My dh is on the Alumni Schools Committee for his alma mater (i.e., he interviews applicants) -- typically, if he is acquainted with the family or with the applicant, he recuses himself from either that entering class or that applicant is assigned to someone else. Also, the years that we have our own children as applicants, dh recuses himself. I think you need to sit back and enjoy all of this and try not to do 'too much' here -- It's good that you recognize that you are a too-much kind of person -- cut yourself some slack and do less. :grouphug: :001_smile: And enjoy! confetti.gifconfetti.gifconfetti.gifENJOY!!!!!!!

Edited by MariannNOVA

My dh is on the Alumni Schools Committee for his alma mater (i.e., he interviews applicants) -- typically, if he is acquainted with the family or with the applicant, he recuses himself from either that entering class or that applicant is assigned to someone else. Also, the years that we have our own children as applicants, dh recuses himself. I think you need to sit back and enjoy all of this and try not to do 'too much' here -- It's good that you recognize that you are a too-much kind of person -- cut yourself some slack and do less. :grouphug: :001_smile:

That's good to know! My son will be relieved. Maybe I should get the teddy bear for me, by golly. :)

No, I don't think I would but mostly because the corsages right now are so delicate, I don't know how the bear would fit in there. The corsages I am seeing lately are still the wrist type with a couple of small orchids and a small bit of color woven in. The bear is cute, though! I bet you all are so excited! First formals are so sweet!

My dh is on the Alumni Schools Committee for his alma mater (i.e., he interviews applicants) -- typically, if he is acquainted with the family or with the applicant, he recuses himself from either that entering class or that applicant is assigned to someone else. Also, the years that we have our own children as applicants, dh recuses himself. I think you need to sit back and enjoy all of this and try not to do 'too much' here -- It's good that you recognize that you are a too-much kind of person -- cut yourself some slack and do less. :grouphug: :001_smile:

:iagree: I do interviews for my alma mater. I am happy to give advice and suggestions to anyone who asks me. But I try not to interview anyone I have a relationship with. (Not always possible as I've sometimes been the only interviewer for a large area.)

I think it would be not totally proper to interview someone who had dated by child. Too much baggage.

I am very surprised that my son was asked. He doesn't really participate in much besides music and math. No sports, dances, meet-ups at the mall. He's not at all unhappy about that, though, and prefers to spend his time doing math problems, watching TV or just loafing about with friends. I still see him as a little, goofy guy. :blush5:

Yes, I think I will do something for me. Since it is lunch time, I am going to grab a bite to eat at Panera. :D

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I am very surprised that my son was asked. He doesn't really participate in much besides music and math. No sports, dances, meet-ups at the mall. He's not at all unhappy about that, though, and prefers to spend his time doing math problems, watching TV or just loafing about with friends. I still see him as a little, goofy guy. :blush5:

Yes, I think I will do something for me. Since it is lunch time, I am going to grab a bite to eat at Panera. :D

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

In red: I am always fascinated at how others see my children in comparison to how I see them -- it is very interesting. You've earned the lunch at Panera! Enjoy!confetti.gif There's THAT word again!:grouphug: