What would you do?  

1. 1. What would you do?

• Nothing - it was just fine
    • Nothing - somewhat inappropriate but no big deal
    • Grumble to other parents but take it no further
    • Complain to the school
    • Contact the local newspaper
    • Other

I think it's inappropriate and a choice in bad taste, but I wouldn't complain to the school. I chose "grumble," but I'm not even sure I'd do that. I would probably just raise an eyebrow and give a pointed look -- maybe a 'bless your heart.' ;)

What grade does this teacher teach?

His poor choice in song would make me wonder what types of things he says in his classroom.

I would suspect he teaches high school. You find quite a few male teachers attracted to high schools because they want to be "cool" and fit in with the youth. They are often quite inappropriate because they want to "relate" to the kids. We have a word for that: smarmy. Odds are you'll be reading about this guy in the newspaper in a few years when he forgets he isn't a 17 yo for a while and gets himself into trouble.

I get the part about another day and age and all...I even understand the comparision to what is on the radio...

But, this was a school holiday concert and a teacher singing that was totally inappropriate. He used very poor judgement in choosing the piece. I wouldn't be surprised if some parents might consider pulling daughters from his classes as a result. I think a complaint to the school is perfectly reasonable and warranted.

.... if he introduced the song by saying, 'You'll have to imagine me in the guise of a dirty old man.' So he made it clear that he was playing a part.

Laura

I consider the above statement acknowledgement that he knows it is inappropriate and he is trying to excuse himself in advance.

I would suspect he teaches high school. You find quite a few male teachers attracted to high schools because they want to be "cool" and fit in with the youth. They are often quite inappropriate because they want to "relate" to the kids. We have a word for that: smarmy. Odds are you'll be reading about this guy in the newspaper in a few years when he forgets he isn't a 17 yo for a while and gets himself into trouble.

I think you nailed it Angela. :iagree:

If, instead of a Christmas concert, the school had put on a play, say something by Moliere. The same teacher had played a comic lecher in the play in front of the same audience, with the same assumptions (older children would have understood; youngers would not have). Would that have been equally, more, or less inappropriate? What would have made the difference if any?

Laura

I grew up listening to this song from my folks old Limelighters album.

Here's a

version (which actually has a bit more language than I heard since it's a live performance).

I think reading the lyrics alone makes it sound worse than the song is.

Probably still inappropriate... but again, this is one I probably could have sung at my son's age (along with Tom Dooley, There's a Meetin' Here Tonight, etc.)

Chad Mitchell Trio, Kingston Trio, Limelighters...

I can see easily how someone who grew up with the songs might not think much of it.

If, instead of a Christmas concert, the school had put on a play, say something by Moliere. The same teacher had played a comic lecher in the play in front of the same audience, with the same assumptions (older children would have understood; youngers would not have). Would that have been equally, more, or less inappropriate? What would have made the difference if any?

Laura

No. I've never seen a school play where teachers played parts. All parts are always given to the students. I think it would be highly inappropriate for a teacher to play a role like that. What's he going to do to "get in character?" Ick. I also don't think any American high school would allow a Moliere play that contained a lecher without highly editing the script.

Laura

Context. If this was a random performance at a Christmas concert or such....totally inappropriate. If this was in the middle of a play,

"say something by Moliere", then it wouldn't be so upsetting. If it were meant as a warning, say during a drug prevention, or some sort of safety lesson,... not inappropriate. But then, the younger's might not have been present?