Menu

How do you decide when to put a dog to sleep?

I mean other than obvious major injury or something that can't be treated.

We have 2 dogs that I am having issues over.

One is my dd's dog that my mom has living at her house (on our property). The dog has SERIOUS, and I mean beyond anything remotely bearable, anxiety. On top of that he hacks and coughs nearly constantly and has for the last couple of years. Now he has a huge cataract and is blind in that eye. In addition to that, he has something going on with his neck and holds his head odd (this is recent). In addition to all of that he has begun marking multiple places every time he is inside. This dog is 12 and has been neutered since he was 6 mo.

My mom has had just about all she can stand, and I can't have him in my house now because he pees all over it. He is a 7 lb terrier mix so outside isn't an option.

Second situation is my almost 14yo chihuahua. She has always been a nervous dog (and we have had several chihuahuas that haven't had this problem), so she is generally scared and miserable. She is rail thin right now (4 lbs at her heaviest and prob 3 now with most bones showing in her ribs and back). She is given a normal amount of food, and even soft food and just keeps losing weight. She also cannot hold her bladder and often pees on her way to the door.

In addition, over the last 2 weeks, she has peed in her actual bed (not even crate - her soft, squishy bed). She didn't even step out of the bed and potty on the floor. She had done this 3 times in the last week and a half.

We rescue quite a lot of animals out here in the boonies, so mega vet bills are not an option. We spay, neuter, vaccinate, etc., but at these dogs' ages, and with their other issues, I wouldn't spend mega bucks to treat them for a chronic illness. It's not out of cruelty; we just have to be practical.

So, WWYD???

If they aren't living a quality life and generally seem unhappy, then I think it's time. If they were younger and treatable I'd say to try and rehome them with a rescue group, but I think their time has really come.

I've only ever had to make that decision once with a dog and it was the hardest decision I've ever made. But, if the dog is sick, can't be treated, is unhappy, and old, then it's probably its time.

Good luck. I know it's not an easy decision ending an animal's life, even if it's for a good reason.

I know this can be a very touchy subject for some people but my opinion has always been once an animal is obviously miserable and nothing reasonable can be done to help it, it's time. Our first dog, a Norwegian Elkhound, was about 13 when he started getting arthritis, then lumps (probably cancer) and then an irritating skin condition. He was suffering whenever it got hot, but seemed stiff whenever our (mild) winters would come along. We probably could have relieve some of his discomfort temporarily be spending lots of $$$ but we chose to have him put down.

When they were younger, they weren't having all these issues. We have had both of these dogs since they were 7 weeks old, and I don't want to seem heartless because we have treated them for various things throughout the years, had them on meds for heartworms, fleas, had their teeth scaled when needed, grooming, etc. It's not like we would just give up at the drop of a hat. I don't want to come across that way.

I just want to know if considering this at the point we are at seems unreasonable. In general, both of these dogs are living very miserable lives, but, when they have a good moment, I'm beating myself up wondering if I'm evil for thinking this.

I have talked with my vet about providing something to calm them (possibly even make them sleep) before I bring them in (if I do it). This way neither will be suffering from the anxiety they normally would when seeing the vet. I wouldn't want them to go like that.

I don't think you sound cruel at all. It seems very humane, not lazy, to be considering putting them down.

My dog is almost 13 and is getting close to the end. It is such a hard decision. Everyone keeps telling me that I will know when it's time but I'm not so sure.

Hope you find some peace in the decision.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

We had to put our 13yo dog down last year. We had her since she was 5 weeks and she was the first Christmas present that my dh gave me. She had cataracts in both eyes, arthritis in her back, and had begun losing bladder control. She was always a wild one and would bolt out of the door as soon as you opened it. One morning, she didn't come upstairs to bed and she was laying on the floor in the kitchen. She wouldn't even stand up. She just lifted her head and looked at me, tail thumped twice, and layer her head back down. So, got the kids off to school and cried with her, then opened the front door and asked if she wanted to go for a ride. She wouldn't even get up. I had to carry her 65lbs to the car and take her.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know she was in pain.

You really have to just ask yourself, are you keeping then alive for you or them?

Well the small chihuhua might just have a bladder infection. Simple fix is antibiotics. i understand not wanting mega bills, but I think antibiotics is in the realm of normal upkeep, you know? If that doesn't work, then yes, it may be time. As for the other dog, hard to say, but if you don't have the money to find out what is wrong and treat it, then yes, euthanasia may be the kindest solution. If the dog is in pain, put it down. I know my dog would never allow me to be in pain.

the urinating problem has lasted a good while (the peeing in the bed is new, but I think it's just harder and harder for her to move comfortably and she maybe just won't get up to walk sometimes). I think if it was an infection it seems like she would've been getting progressively sicker in some way.

Gosh idk. It's such a difficult decision - times 2. :sad:

the urinating problem has lasted a good while (the peeing in the bed is new, but I think it's just harder and harder for her to move comfortably and she maybe just won't get up to walk sometimes). I think if it was an infection it seems like she would've been getting progressively sicker in some way.

Gosh idk. It's such a difficult decision - times 2. :sad:

Well, the only real symptoms of a bladder infection are urinating in the house, maybe not eating well, and just feeling lousy, all of which you mention. Bladder infections are common in female dogs, especially older ones. If you wanted to try something i'd say antibiotics and some pain meds in case arthritis is the issue. Arthritis meds are generic now, and are not expensive for a little dog. Not saying it isn't time, it might be. Just throwing that out there. I know with our chow mix i was starting to think things were getting grim, but some pain meds have made him a new dog.

Second situation is my almost 14yo chihuahua. She has always been a nervous dog (and we have had several chihuahuas that haven't had this problem), so she is generally scared and miserable. She is rail thin right now (4 lbs at her heaviest and prob 3 now with most bones showing in her ribs and back). She is given a normal amount of food, and even soft food and just keeps losing weight. She also cannot hold her bladder and often pees on her way to the door.

In addition, over the last 2 weeks, she has peed in her actual bed (not even crate - her soft, squishy bed). She didn't even step out of the bed and potty on the floor. She had done this 3 times in the last week and a half.

I have an extremely old terrier. She has a thyroid issue and was losing way too much weight and all her strength when she was so thin, and I thought it was the end. Although she eats 3/4 can per day of soft food, the right amount for her weight, it is not enough calories for her, so I give her more calories with some torn up bread in addition to her food. It helped her gain some weight back and she has more strength now and feels better. I actually feed her every 2-3 hours during the day and she eats every time. She also leaks pee in her sleep, but when she is awake she will ask to go out and as long as I am paying close enough attention to recognize her way of asking, she holds it until I get her out. She is very blind in one eye and when she wants to go out now she walks in fast circles. She has never barked to go out - she used to always stand by the back door and just wait, so now instead of the door it is just circles. The leaking in her sleep is not a big deal. I switched her bed to using our old towels. They make a nice bed for her and are easy to wash.

What I am watching for with her is that she is still interested in life. She sleeps a lot, but when she is wide awake she is still interested in getting up and moseying around, and getting held and scratched, and she gives a little "woof!" every time I take her outside. (I carry her because we tore down our deck and now there is a step that is new for her and I don't want her to fall.) As long as she enjoys some basic pleasures of life and enjoys her food and can still eat, drink and go potty on her own when she is awake, I don't mind a little cleanup. If she loses all interest or can no longer handle the basic functions independently, I will know it is time.

I will try a couple of those with the chihuahua, and I did look at the terrier's ears and didn't see anything, but he was acting head-shy so it could be a neck injury or something. I could try some rimadyl with him just to see.

Some of it just their behavioral issues. They are just both such miserable dogs in general, like I'm not sure if either has ever had a really good quality of life. The terrier was better when he was younger; the chihuahua has always been miserable.

We just had to make that decision a couple of months ago. It was very tough. Our dog was 12, and had terminal cancer. He had stopped eating and drinking completely-- and after 5 days of that, he was just very weak and was obviously suffering.

We still miss him...

This is just a short answer, but when they appear so uncomfortable that they aren't enjoying anything, anymore, then that's a good indication to me. I think sometimes to prolong their lives for our own sake is even unfair. We had one dear dog who was 16 years old! He had been an absolute gem, a real member of our family. We were doing everything possible to help him and keep him comfortable, but it finally dawned on us that there wasn't a moment in the day that seemed pleasant for him anymore. It was a very difficult decision, but I think the right thing to do.

on the bed could also be incontinence which is often treatable with drugs-and not very costly. I have had 2 dogs with that issue. Marking can be worked on if it is not a medical issue-with training. I did rescue for years and trained/retrained several old dogs with consistent houstraining. That is free and should be tried. Really-the only way to know if these issues are easily fixable issues that will improve quality of life at reasonable cost or untreatable issues is a trip to the vet.

As for when to decide-I always knew when they had given up living-not enjoying things they loved to do. If I had to ask-they weren't ready.

Being allergic to both cats and dogs (not to mention guinea pigs and bunnies), we've only had tiny pets. Fish are cool because they just float or sink when it's time to go. But, in the last three or so years, we've had a bird and two rats PTS. It's always hard and often comes with conflicting feelings but if you consider what the animal is going through, it's a blessing and a gift of compassion and love.

Our guideline is to consider the pet's condition. If it is in the process of dying and is done living (as I tell my kids, "Pumpkin has no more good days left to look forward to; all her good days are now in the past.") and the dying process is either painful or taking too long, then it's time to help the animal complete the dying process. It's a kind thing.

There are other things to consider that we thankfully have not had to consider:

1) An extremely violent animal, especially one that has killed or injured another animal or person, or has shown the potential to do so.

2) An animal with a fatal disease, such as some forms of cancer or scrapie (sheep, goats), etc.

3) When it is possible to save a sick animal but the financial burden is more than the family can bear or the treatment is painful and filled with side effects, especially if the illness is debillitating and has occurred during the last of the animal's expected lifespan.

I'm not reading about your dogs because I cannot possibly tell you what to do.

But with our dog. She was my baby. Almost literally. I said to dh "Why do we need to wait to have kids?" He said "Let's get a dog."

She was a 50 pound dog. She was 15/16 years old. She was a good girl. She'd lost the ability to hold it in all night so she had to sleep in the garage. We couldn't leave her in the house when we left either. She didn't mean to, she just couldn't hold it.

When she looked at me and her look said to me "it's time. Let me go. Why am I still here?" Then I knew it was time. I kept her around a few more months. I got that look every time I put her to bed. I finally gave in. She was ready. I was ready.

Somehow you just know.

:grouphug::grouphug: It's never an easy decision.

I guess the thing is, most of the time I look at them and think it is time, but every now and then I'll see them have a moment where they are ok, or seem ok, and I question what is right.

I guess I just need to watch and see how they are in addition to trying some things. If we see improvements, great. If not, I guess we will have our answer.

:grouphug: I having this same problem with our Jack Russel, she has gotten very senile. The thing with her is she in not unhappy or in pain that I can tell but she is blind in one eye, going blind in the other, and deaf. Senile enough to get lost in the house and she has not a clue that she shouldn't use the house for a potty.:( Typically if she is not asleep she is wandering aimlessly. It is just so hard to say, "it's time".:(

If they aren't living a quality life and generally seem unhappy, then I think it's time. *snip* But, if the dog is sick, can't be treated, is unhappy, and old, then it's probably its time.

Good luck. I know it's not an easy decision ending an animal's life, even if it's for a good reason.

:iagree:

I don't think you sound cruel at all. It seems very humane, not lazy, to be considering putting them down.

:iagree: For us, it was a quality of life thing. Our dog was young (only 7 yrs of a 15 yr average life span for her breed), but she had horrid hip and knee problems. Several vets said they had never seen such bad hips and knees and surgery wasn't an option. We had the poor dear on so much glucosamine and pain meds near the end that she was afraid to eat anything because there was almost always a pill hidden in there.

We finally decided to take her and have her put down when I had to carry her down the deck stairs so she could potty. She spent her last two weeks just laying around and wouldn't even get up to eat. That is about the same time I had to start carrying her down the stairs, so we just 'knew' it was time. She was the sweetest thing and it broke our hearts. However, it was time, and we knew we were doing the right thing by letting her go peacefully.

:grouphug: to you. It's so difficult.

:grouphug: It's so hard.

I got so angry with my brother when he refused to put his dog down. She was so, so miserable and tired and ...so sad. Just the look in her eyes of misery. But she was a Pit with a steel constitution and she would just GO until someone made her stop. But I tried to tell him that just because she can still go, doesn't mean she should.

When their quality of life can never return to what it once was, then it's time.

Don't let them waste away, because they won't show you how much agony they're in because they love you so much.

We love our dogs and cats, we really do. Adore the dogs in particular.

But when an animal becomes a burden that outweighs the pleasure of spending time with it, it's time to go.

For me, peeing in the house (unless it's a pup that's housetraining or is a temporary condition like a UTI), is a decision maker.

Euthanasia of an animal is only frightening/painful/sad to the person. The animal has no idea what is happening so handled correctly by the owner, it can be a peaceful, loving sendoff.