Menu

Are you doing anything different for Christmas for your homeschool curriculum?

We are keeping up with everything as usual. But next week we hit the Irish potato famine in SOTW4. I found a Christmas book from Ireland that has it in it.

And I added an Advent Bible Study. I am reading and discussing with them, then we are making a Jesse Tree tomorrow. Also, dictation and copywork is done using Christmas quotes and verses. DD7 is reading things like Amelia Bedelia's Christmas for her reading.

So I am incorporating Christmas, but not changing anything:tongue_smilie:

Dd is young. She will be 5 next week.

We have been doing a lot of Christmas dot-to-dots and color-by-numbers. (Just do a search online for either).

I also have a "Simple Graph Art" book that does easy graphing for that age. We have been doing seasonal pictures since October.

http://www.teachercreated.com/products/simple-graph-art-0095?lt=search.1.1.1.20

Also, no schoolwork on your birthday!!!!:party:

reading some Christmas stories, watching Christmas movies, reaching out to others with gifts of service to demonstrate God's love to them by baking them goodies, doing errands, chores, visiting with shut-ins, and I'm limiting my computer time and really enjoying this year, despite some difficult challenges we face as a family this year.

Our copywork consists of verses pertaining to Christ's birth.

Already starting to scale back on the schoolwork, as my son's attention level is definately already going south...

We just started Catholic Mosaic: Living the Liturgical Year with Literature. Since it is obviously December, the choices in the book for this month are Christmas/holiday related. We are quite enjoying a nice selection of picture books and activities for Christmas. It is probably quite obvious that I could have chosen some Christmas books and read them, but I never found the time/inclination other than the most basic. Therefore, I'm glad to be using this guide to choose some I haven't read, and doing the included activities in the guide.

We school lite in December also, to allow more time for baking, going to Christmas parties and generally enjoying the season.

Yes. We don't celebrate Christmas in our home (we're Jewish), but I plan on putting history aside for a couple days and doing a Christmas unit, because otherwise my children are pretty ignorant about Christmas, even including common traditions in America and such.

I went to public school, but even I felt my ignorance about Christianity was severe growing up, and ultimately embarrassing. I was well into my teens before I was even remotely aware that Easter was a religious holiday, for example.

Since we're studying American history with Adventures in My Father's World, I decided that we'd take a look at Christmas throughout American history this year. It's been really interesting, (even for me!), to see how Christmas has changed here over the centuries, but I have to admit, finding crafts has been more challenging than in the past when we've done Christmas Around the World!

When I was putting together a list of all the Christmas books we have to choose from, I couldn't believe how many we have, and how suitable they are for learning about Christmas in America!

We do a month of copywork related to Christmas. Last year she wrote the story of Jesus' birth from copying bible verses and we made scrapbook paper "frames" and hung it along the wall in the tree room. This year we are copying The Night Before Christmas on that top-half-blank paper so she can color pictures over it and make her own book.

Other than that we just do the usual crafty things- we make cinnamon ornaments which is super easy and cheap, see friends, decorate, etc.

OH- someone told us a great idea we started this year too- we make a stocking for Jesus. You hang it next to the others and every time you do something that would make Jesus happy you write it down and put it in his stocking... Then on Christmas morning you pull them all out and read them to remember all the times you had Jesus in your heart that month and all the things you can do to make him happy. It's your gift to him.

Our copywork consists of verses pertaining to Christ's birth.

That is a great idea!

We have an two advent books that we read together in the evening:

The Advent Storybook

The Advent Book

We have also made chocolates and have been reading other fun books for Christmas. We also have been watching Christmas movies. Other than that, our day pretty much is the same as always.

It is my first year hsing. The week before and after Christmas I thought we would take off from school, but do a lot of Christmas crafts, make Christmas cookies, and watch a Little House DVD every day. Then do a Little House craft and make something out of the Little House cook book. I would love to do more of this during school, but just don't have the time.

We have paused spelling, history and science until January. Ds is doing Christmas copywork and a Christmas story Bible puzzle sheet each day. He's doing a special math drill workbook to practice facts all month long. He's continuing BJU reading 2-3 days a week and a page a day in his grammar book. Reading lots of Christmas books, making gifts for friends, just enjoying the season :D

We finished school last Friday. Now we are spending a lot of time reading as a family, doing crafts, writing Christmas cards, baking, etc. Although I did sneak in a reading lesson today... :tongue_smilie: My kids learn so much when we don't do real school. It is a nice change of pace, but it is so weird for me!