Menu

do you shake hands?

I'm always stumped as to whether or not I should shake someone's hand when meeting them. In a business situation I definitely would. But lately I've been meeting a lot of new people through some new groups that I joined and there's always that awkward brief looking down to see if the other has their hand out.

Do you shake hands with everyone you meet? Do you wait to see if they initiate it? Are there certain circumstances where you always do or never do?

:confused:

I'm always stumped as to whether or not I should shake someone's hand when meeting them. In a business situation I definitely would. But lately I've been meeting a lot of new people through some new groups that I joined and there's always that awkward brief looking down to see if the other has their hand out.

Do you shake hands with everyone you meet? Do you wait to see if they initiate it? Are there certain circumstances where you always do or never do?

:confused:

It depends on the situation.

We'll be going to my husband's company Christmas party this week. I will probably shake hands with each new person I meet.

Last night we were at our son's holiday concert. I hugged the women I know well and I shook hands with their husbands, many of whom I'd not previously met.

If I were at a casual gathering in someone's home and the guests were primarily women, I would probably not extend my hand. I often get the feeling that women don't care to shake hands.

A casual gathering at my Dad's house, though, when I'm meeting his male friends for the first time? I shake hands.

I'm pretty much going to make a blanket policy to not shake hands anymore. The arthritis is getting worse with each passing year. Friday evening I met a new gentleman. It seems his goal in life is to shake hands with the grip of Hercules.

I never know who is going to want a super-duper grip. I've never actually mastered that lady-like jut the tips of the fingers thing so I'm done with shaking hands.

I just have to figure out how to say no without being offensive.

I would say that I usually shake hands when meeting someone new.

I do understand your position, Chucki. There is a gentleman of our acquaintance that I see just rarely enough to have to shake his hand all of the time. He nearly shakes my arm off! I have never met anyone with a bigger shake.

I do in professional situations. Yesterday at the orthodontist (1st time visit), I shook hands with the assistant and then with the doctor when he came in. I shook hands with the staff at the lawyer's office when we updated our will. But if I met someone like at a mom's group, I wouldn't expect a handshake.

Heh.. when my son tried Cub Scouts, I extended my hand to one of the leaders. He did shake my hand but he looked startled. I could be mistaken, but I feel like it was because I was a woman.

funny story-

Met my sisters first serious boyfriend (shes 21) and he is super sweet, but quiet and shy. Our family are big huggers, but I just didnt wanna scare him and it got all awkward and I....shook his hand...then proceeded to burst out laughing. :) I hug him now :lol:

I usually do shake hands....or hug ;)

With men, yes. With women, only if they extend their hand first.

How funny! I do just the opposite! For reasons of modesty, I do not shake hands with men. As for women, I typically hug, but may only shake hands if I do not know them well, or certainly in a professional situation.

I agree it is difficult to avoid shaking hands without it being awkward. I want my greeting to be warm and respectful, just not physical!

I typically try to have my hands full or otherwise position myself in a way that my hand is not available. ;) If I am unavoidably confronted with an outstretched hand, I put my hand on my chest and bow forward slightly, as a sign of respect and say something like, "I don't shake hands, but it's a pleasure to meet you."

Favorite hand-shaking memory: As a student in Germany, I attended a German-speaking Evangelical Free (Baptist) church. When the elders went forward to serve communion, they would all shake hands with each other before picking up the communion trays. So congenial!

I often shake hands when meeting new people. More often in mixed company than when in a group of women only.