Menu

favorite books on homeschooling

sditz1

I love Marva Collin's Way -she is amazing, as well as anything by Rafe Esquith.

Douglas Wilson- anything he's written on Classical

sign up for MP's newsletter- great articles by Cheryl & Leigh Lowe, and Martin Cothran

If you get a chance to ever hear George Grant, CD's by Leigh Bortiens (i can't stand her writing style but her ideas are great)

Circe Institue lectures

Homeschool Design Form+u+la- more delight directed by Barb Shelton

Marilyn Howshall "life style of learning"

Cindy Rushton - notebooking.

Anything by Ray and Dorothy Moore- they take a "delight dircted" approach (unit study directed by child's interests).

anything by Holt (though it's an unschooling approach, his ability to convey a lifestyle of learning is not to be overlooked by anyone serious about edcuation). Along the same lines is Grace Llewellyns' work -she runs camps now.

The New Global Student - more for high school and college inexpensively.

The Colfaxes Excellence in Education and auto bio book is a fascinating read about the back to the land movement and how homeschooling was kind of co-birthed from that

A Mom Like You by Vicki Farris- kind of idealistic but an easy read.

Karen Andreola writes from a CM approach and has a couple of diff books

Mary Hood- learning centers

Mary Pride- her books are controversial but give you a tast for the beginning of the movement regarding large families/brining kids home

No Regrets A. Swann- old articles in M. Pride's mag by Joyce Swann- all of her many kids grad around 16 w/master's degrees.

That should get ya started ;)

I liked the Latin Centered Curriculum - especially the chapter about quality, not quantity. I've started Penny Gardener's Charlotte Mason study guide, it tells you sections of CM's own books to read, but breaks it down. I plan to read CM's 6st, 1st and 3rd books next.

Liping Ma's book is awesome - unless you already understand math.

Being a big fan of this board (the K-8 Curriculum one, that is), it should come as no surprise that one of my favorites is Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Curriculum and Approach for Your Child's Learning Style. At least, that's the only general homeschooling book I've been willing to buy new. (Even then, I got the cheaper Kindle version. :p)

Anything by John Holt.

John Taylor Gatto. He offers a very different perspective. I really appreciate it, because it's not just rehashing the same old ideas.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I just finished Holt's "How Children Learn" and ordered 3 more of his books from my library.

Gatto's books are really interesting. You can read a free copy of his "Underground History of American Education" at his website: http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

I also concur on the Cathy Duffy recommendation. I borrowed it from the library, then bought it used on Ebay for about $6.

Additionally, I recently enjoyed "You Can Teach Your Child Successfully" by Ruth Beechick.

I don't see "When Children Love to Learn" by Elaine Cooper listed here. I think this is the best one I have read on CM so far. I also second the lectures by the Circe Institute. They are quite inspiring. You can get MP3 downloads of individual talks if that helps with the cost. Also, Circe is more on Classical Ed. philosophy rather than the practical side of things.

Most of the books I found useful have already been mentioned on this thread, but I'll add them again.

1. WTM

2. The Three Rs by Ruth Beechick

3. You Can Teach Your Child Successfully by Ruth Beechick

4. Any Child Can Write by Harvey Weiner

Loving reading through others' lists!!!

Mine:

I don't see "When Children Love to Learn" by Elaine Cooper listed here.

:iagree:

Indeed! When Children Love to Learn is not an easy read, it's a HUGE book, but it is the best and most practical application of Charlotte Mason's ideas I've seen, and very useful to anyone considering any type of classical education.

A Biblical Home Education by Ruth Beechick - not JUST about Bible, it's about adopting a god-centred approach to every subject. We are Jewish, so this book doesn't apply 100%, but it's a very useful starting point. Plus, Ruth Beechick is so smart and sensible and reassuring.

Anything by John Taylor Gatto, especially Weapons of Mass Instruction. (how did we get our school system, anyway?)

Finally - Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. I don't see it come up here all that often, but I consider this required reading for anyone who will be teaching their kids history of any kind, but particularly U.S. history.