Menu

loves Lobel, what next.

reign

Dd has just finished up reading all of Lobel's books. She loved them! She likes animals or female characters. She enjoyed the Annie and snowball books but doesn't want to read henery and mudge(too many boys insert eyeroll here) . I am going to do little bear next. Any ideas for after that? Thanks.

Dd has just finished up reading all of Lobel's books. She loved them! She likes animals or female characters. She enjoyed the Annie and snowball books but doesn't want to read henery and mudge(too many boys insert eyeroll here) . I am going to do little bear next. Any ideas for after that? Thanks.

Elephant & Piggie? They're easy but SO funny. Hang on, Farrar-Williams just posted some other ideas for me...

ETA: Here it is. She suggested this in a thread where I asked for something like Elephant & Piggie books:

Some of the earlier TOON Books, including the first Benny and Penny and Stinky (still my favorite in the series) are available in paperback now. Those would be similar to Elephant and Piggie (though a little harder).

Everything else I'm thinking of is harder than Elephant and Piggie, but still in easy reader land and all funny - Dodsworth, Poppleton, Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa, Fly Guy...

Also the Jenny and the Cat Club books by Averill, and Amelia Bedelia, the Llama Llama books...oh, and Frances!!! Some people hate Frances, but I've always thought she was hilarious :D

ETA again: DD9 suggests the Kevin Henkes books (Chrysanthemum; Sheila Rae; Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse; Julius, the Baby of the World, etc.), Rosemary Wells books (though I say stay away from Max and Ruby), William Steig...

Also, you can plug these into Amazon and look at the "Customers who bought this book also looked at..." listings. Love that feature :D

Edited by melissel

Wong Herbert Yee's Mouse and Mole books! They are an homage of sorts to Frog and Toad. Very dear.

Ling & Ting by Grace Lin (who was inspired to some degree by the matching dresses of Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka books) are also cute and girl-centered.

I second Frances. She's very girly. And I love her songs.

One more. Katie Morag.

Animal Protagonists

- Little Bear (series)(Minarik)

- Amanda Pig (series) (Van Leeuwen)

- Mercy Watson (series) (di Camillo)

- Oliver Pig (series) (Van Leeuwen)

- Poppleton (series) (Rylant)

- Frances (series) (Hoban)

- The Lion and the Mouse (Herman)

- Fox (series) (Marshall)

- The Adventures of Snail at School (Sadler)

- ".... Riddles" (series) (Hall and Eisenberg) -- Puppy, Bunny, Fishy, Sheepish, Kitty, etc.

- The King, The Mice and the Cheese (Gurney)

- Good Night, Good Knight (Thomas)

- Little Horse on His Own (Byars)

Female Protagonists

- Rainbow Fairies (series) (Meadows)

- Little Witch (series) (Hautzig)

- Amanda Pig (series) (Van Leeuwen)

- The Dragon's Scales (Albee)

- A Dollar for Penny (Glass)

- Flower Girl (Herman)

- The Princess and the Pea (Ziefert)

- The Big Balloon Race (Coerr)

- Aunt Eater (series) (Cushman)

- Amelia Bedelia (series) (Parish)

- The Golly Sisters (series) (Byars)

Rylant also wrote Poppleton, about a pig and his friends. They have lots of tongue in cheek humor. Mr. Putter and Tabby are also very sweet. They are less "boy" books than Henry and Mudge.

Maybe The Littles, Billy and Blaze, The Boxcar Children, Commander Toad, Catwings, or Beverly Cleary books like The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

Ds just finished reading every Arnold Lobel book I could find, lol. He is now on to Mr. Putter and Tabby.

I can recite Mouse Soup. :glare:

My son also loved Mr. Putter and Tabby and even now will check them out of the library if he finds a new one.

He also really enjoyed Dav Pilkey's dragon books.

They have been mentioned by several posters, so I will just add to the recommendations for the Poppleton books and the Mercy Watson series. They are not only "animal based" but are funny (like Lobel) with a serious side (like Lobel) and just a pleasant notch up on the reading level.

The Dick King-Smith books are something you might like to consider for the future.

Bill